Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• vashti55
    vashti55 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2009

Rgiuff,

I had been postmenopausal for approx. 1 year prior to taking Arimidex.  If it wasn't for my high Oncotype score of 31 and a family history of breast cancer, I would probably opt for another type of medicine.  There are some users of Arimidex who don't have side effects or they have just a few of them.  We are all different and it is best to try it for yourself and see what happens. 

• mellodylane
    mellodylane Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2009

Just feeling on a high at the moment I play in a band as a bass guitarist and vocalist ( just local stuff) and we played last night for 3 hours, It is a great feeling when you have people singing along and dancing to the music and you become a normal person not an arimidex user or b/c sufferer.

I am also treasurer of our local music club and that is a great release for me as well. (we have several members who have also joined the cancer journey).We have lots of fun and cancer is not the issue it really takes your mind of other things and I feel would be a benefit if you are able to go out and get involved in something you are interested in.

I started by watching my husband play and sing during my chemo time and it helped me through I then decided down the track to join in and bought a guitar  to learn to play now I sing also.When my brain feels swamped by b/c I pick up my guitar.

Just wondering what others do for a relaxation?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited October 2009
    I play golf.  Smile
  • sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2009

I'm back from my trip to VA. I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in 5 years. It was great! Bought back apples and have eaten them every wasy I can think of and froze some for baking later on. I have either gotten use to the joint pain or it is getting better. Did notice that I was awfully stiff when I got out of the car and my hands where stuck to the steering wheel and my fingers didn't want to let go! Got my flu shot on Tuesday and with this crazy weather glad I did. 80's on tuesday, 40's on sunday and back up to 70's by Wednesday. Working a weird schedule this week so I will be back on Wed. Leave here tonite at 11 and back in here at 7 am. Can't help you with the "sex". I'm going through a divorce. He had me served between chemo and radiation. As far as hobbies I do x-stitch or read. And Sudoku puzzles to keep my mind moving. Joy

• mcgaffey
    mcgaffey Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2009

Ruthe, Neti pot use cured me of my constant draining sinuses and infections. I use it when I feel something coming on. I have been off all sinus meds since I started using it. Maybe the chemistry of my body has changed. Who knows?

For fun, I read, write, do family history research, travel, play cards with friends, take my daily walks apart from working with children all day long which I also love! 

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2009

Before the Neti pots became popular I was encouraged to use aerosol saline and it worked wonders...I use it every morning and then more if needed....usually stops my sinus infections before they get started.

I sew,scrapbook,bakeand when my hands are not cramping up I have started making jewlery. I have cut my hours for work for a whle but I work in a funeral home.

Joy,I am sorry to hear you are going through a divorce. I have been through one andit was no fun and I was the one that filed.  Let me tell you the man I am Married to now has been amazing. I will pray you find one just like him. (he has fantastic insurance through his job...don't know what we would have done without it)

Everyone have a great week.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2009

Instead of the Neti pot, I use the blue bulb I had

for aspiring baby stuff...works the other way too

• Sukiann
    Sukiann Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2009

Rguiff, I was premenopausal but I can't take tamox because of the risk of blood clots (runs in my family) so I go for a lupron shot once every three months and take arimidex.  I'm 45, too old for this "no sex" stuff but it does do a number on your libido.

I have used the neti pot before.  My dh can't look at me while I'm using it.  It does take some getting used to.  I have noticed that my sense of taste/smell is not quite as good as before treatments.  My nose is always stuffy.  Didn't attribute it to the arimidex but I'll add this one on as another se.  I'll try the neti pot again.

Joy, I too am sorry about the divorce.  When it rains, it pours, huh? 

To relax I bake and decorate cookies.  you can see some of cookie pictures at this site:

www.flickr.com/photos/andovercookiemama

I love to do it but it is a lot of work!  I also like to craft, garden and read.  I find that when I am busy it takes my mind away from bc.  Also, when I feel good (which is not often) I totally forget!  That's why I am desperate to get rid of this pain so I won't focus on what could happen (like did it or is it going to spread).  I have a high oncotype score  (32) so I am really nervous about mets.

Ok, gotta go make some more dough for more cookies.  I got to make some for a friend's bday party. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

SUKIANN!!!

Your cookies are little works of art!  People don't actually eat them, do they?  I would have to save at least one and frame it.   Fabulous!

Pam 

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited October 2009

Sukiann................ you are very talented................love your cookies and cupcakes!!!! Very impressive.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2009

Sukiann, You are so talented. I want to eat every one of those cookies! In one sitting.......

I also live in MA.......great weather here, huh?

Sue

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Oh! Thank you ladies!  They are a lot of fun to make and to eat.  My dd just asked me if I had any mess ups for her (my poor kids usually only get to eat mess ups!). 

Yes, Sue - 61 great weather.  Much better than yesterday. My husband is in Texas and called today to tell me that the weather is great there.  I told him it's just as great here - I felt like we were having a contest as to who was enjoying the better weather! 

Feeling good right now.  Not sure why but I'll take it.  I had slacked off on some of the supplements I was taking to help with the pain and I didn't have a good weekend because of it.  I started back with all of them today and I'm feeling much better.  Once again I don't know which one is the one (or which combination) is making me feel better because I take too many of them at the same time.  Got a lot of energy and I'm gonna make the best of it.  Unfortunately this burst of energy will mean that I'll be cleaning and putting things away instead of doing something fun.  Work must get done!

• vashti55
    edited October 2009

Sukiann

The pictures of the baked goods were so nice and the ones of you and family and friends made me laugh.  Laughing  I think you are a fun person.  Thanks for posting those pictures.  I needed that boost!!  May God continue to bless us all.

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2009

Sukiann

You and your gal pals need to be with Martha...really!  Absolutely beautiful !!! Keep up the good work,I am certain they have brought alot of joy to many people. Blessings to all!

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009
    Fantastic pictures Sukian you are very talented it looks like a great fun way to spend time. Your friends look terrific to be aroundLaughing
  • pj12
    edited October 2009

When I saw my med onc today she added a Vitamin D screen to her routine blood work tests... I did not even have to ask for it!  Must be catching on.  I'll be glad to know the numbers.  She said she has had no patients with too low readings so far... all this Florida sunshine is good for more than causing wrinkles!

Pam 

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009
    Pam, I was just thinking about the vitamin D.  With all this talk about how we all may be deficient and how this may attribute to bc, I don't know why we all haven't been tested.  I'm going back to the the onc. tomorrow and I'm going to ask about being tested.  I am taking extra vit. d but I don't even know if I am lacking in this vitamin and I think at high doses it may be toxic??  Anyway, I think it's important to get this checked too.  I hope the Florida sun is doing the trick for you and you don't have to take extra.  Any pill we can eliminate is a good thing!!  Wink
  • Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Jo, I have the cherry juice in the fridge and I haven't even opened it yet!  I guess I forgot about it! I swear I'm losing it!  I eat 2 brazil nuts a day - I actually don't even like them so I eat a bit of dark chocolate with them to get them down (smart, huh??) 

I am scared to go to the onc tomorrow.  I have to get my lupron shot and the last time I had it I had a really bad lower back ache (which of course made me think that I had mets).  I think it was muscle pain from the shot - I get the shot in the butt (ouch!).  Also, I am afraid to tell him that I'm still hurting.  I think he may want to do a scan on me.  I've never been one of those people who won't go to the doc because they are afraid of what they are going to find out but this is different.  At this point I am terrified that the cancer has spread.  I can handle early stage bc because I know I have a chance of living a full life, but a spread, that's another story.  Ok, gotta muster up the courage to go tomorrow and to follow through with what the doc wants to do.  If I complain he's gonna say scan (he did for the lower back pain but I told him to hold off to see if it went awasy and it did).

I'll report back to you on what he says about the vitamin D.  See ya!

xoxo

• pj12
    edited October 2009

Hi Sukiann,

I know what you mean about not wanting to know....  I learned yesterday that the PET scan I will have in December will look at my whole body, not just the lung thingee.  I was not prepared to deal with that much information!  Guess I will go through with it but it is just something more to worry about :(

Pam 

• vashti55
    edited October 2009

I had the full body PET scan In January.  My primary physician ordered it.  My surgeon and oncologist didn't think it was necessary.  The surgeon said that everyone doesn't need the scan and that I was one of those who didn't need it.  I don't know what criteria is used to determine who does or who doesn't, but my primary care doctor said that he thinks it should be standard procedure for cancer survivors.  It was negative for cancer and I was glad that I got it.

Does anyone know who should get the tumor marker blood test?  Is anybody getting the CA-125 blood test for ovarian cancer?  I'm told that breast cancer and ovarian cancer are buddiesCry.  I have had an ultrasound of the ovaries since my diagnosis and treatment, but I read that the transvaginal ultrasound is better.  I don't know if arimidex will help with ovarian cancer.

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2009

It is better to know than to worry and not know. My son always told me you needed an attitude and I had one of those. Think positive and have those tests done!! My ONC doesn't check for D either but she has it down for me to be checked when I go back in November. Maybe it takes one of us to get the ball rolling. I don't know why they don't check it. Have the heat on but by this weekend it is suppose to be back up to 80's. Need to get out and exercise some and maybe get the joints moving.  Good luck to all. Joy

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009

Jo-5

Yes we play allsorts of music but particularly blues and country. One of the ladies sings Irish songs and when we want a good singalong ( depending on audience) we do songs like You are my Sunshine that always gets them going. Last week though it was a totally young crowd that wanted rock and roll which we also can do, It makes it easy as there are 5 members and we all do different styles so depending on crowd one will be more dominent in singing. 

We will be doing all Christmas songs at a Christmas party for  dissabled children again this year and that is great fun they all try to get on stage and sing along which of course we let them.

Keep going with the dulcimer I dont read music either!

Lesley

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited October 2009

Jo, I'm impressed that you play the dulcimer!  I envy all of you who have musical talent.  When I hum a tune, my husband says (partly tongue in cheek), "What did you say?"

I went to see my PCP on Mon. to update my medical records, new prescriptions, etc.  She ordered blood work that will include checking my thyroid function and Vitamin D level.  I have hypothyroidism and want to make sure my medication is still doing the job.  When thyroid function is low, it can cause weight gain.  I'm up 3 to 5 lbs, just enough to make those waistbands a little too snug.  If thyroid function is normal, then I can blame Arimidex or blame myself for falling off the WW wagon.

According to my PCP, it's safe to take Vit. D, but she said to be sure and take the D3, which is in the form our bodies can use.  She also okayed taking melatonin as a sleep aid, but said that it causes some people to have bad dreams.  She had tried it herself and stopped because she had nightmares.

I'm doing fairly well on Arimidex after 4 1/2 wks.  Lately I have been having night sweats several times a night.  During the day, though, the hot flashes aren't frequent or bad.  The joint stiffness is bearable and eases with movement and exercise, as many have said.  However, I take enough pills to stave off SEs.  Effexor, glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil caps.  And about to start taking D3.  Incidentally, my dh stopped taking fish oil when he learned it's a blood thinner.  He's on Plavix and bleeds profusely with the least little cut. 

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2009

My pcp was the one who ordered the Vit D level to be drawn. Mine was low, at 20. He had me take 1000 IU twice a day for a month and then one a day from then on. Not sure what my level is now but I do have upcoming onc appt next month so I shall ask.

It's odd because I usually get yelled at by nurse-friends as I am out in the sun all summer and tan easily. I guess no sunshine and your Vit D gets depleted. (I was diagnosed in the winter time. Wintah as we say in New England........)

NOW the reason my pcp wanted me to take the D is that is helps to absorb the calcium which I am taking. Calcium should be taken 3 times per  day as the body can only absorb 500 mg at a time.

There is currently some controversy as to the amount of Vit D.......1000 IU per day vs 2000. My ONC told me 1000 is enough. 

I am also on fish oil. My pcp advised freezing it if you get "fish burps." The fish oil is, I think, supposed to drop cholesterol level (I could be wrong about this) so I shall see. My chol was hi normal at 200! 

My left hip still hurts when I lie on it. I have been spreading on menthol. A cheap version of Ben Gay but without the aspirin component. It smells nice.   Better than those fish burps! haha. Sue

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Hi Ladies,

I went to see the onc. yesterday.  I waited almost 2 hours to see him.  I thought the waiting room was going to riot!  Well, I didn't get much time with him as things there were crazy!  I did ask him my list of questions.  I asked him why I haven't had a scan.  He told me that in early stage bc they have found that the people who have mets is so smal that it isn't necessary to scan everyone.  They wait until you have symptoms.  I told him about all the joint pain and he asked me if I wanted to try another AI.  I really don't because I think that they all have the same side effects.  If it is working (meaning, stopping the estrogen) then I am going to have pain in the joints as estrogen is a natural anti- inflammatory.  I also aked him about vit. d.  He told me to take it so the calcium would be absorbed.  Didn't talk about it being good for anti cancer properties.  We talked about me having my ovaries out which I will do in january.  I got my lupron shot.  YIKES!  That needle is huge. 

Jo - never heard of the dulcimer.  Looked it up. Cool looking instrument!

Oh!  An article was written about me and was in our local paper today.  Here is the link if you want to read about little 'ole me! 

http://www.andovertownsman.com/townspeople/local_story_294154421.html?keyword=secondarystory

Talk to ya soon!

• pj12
    edited October 2009

Sukiann,

You are an inspiration to everyone, not just we sisters.  Great article!

BTW, can you tell me how to hyperlink a web address here?  If I just copy and paste it will not open.  Thanks.

Pam 

• ruthe245
    ruthe245 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2009

sunflowers,

Thanks for the information about the Neti Pot.  I've been using the baby aspirator for years, and found it to be a big help in overcoming sinus infections but had problems with my ears when I was using it a lot.  It sounds like the Neti Pot might be a solution to this problem because the solution wouldn't be forced into the sinuses.  Thanks for the tip, too, that you should only use non-iodized salt--never knew this before.

Ruth

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Thanks Pam and Jo.  Pam, I pmed you with how to add the link.  Jo, all I can think of when you describe the dulcimer is Alison Kraus.  I love her.  Does she use this instrument in her music??

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2009

Sukiann: Nice article.   And it sounds like th wait was worth it and you onc was very reassuring.  

JO-5 -- still searching my medical databases for th e research on "20 years" -- can't locate anything to substantiate what my breast surgeon said.  I don't see her til March, but will ask my med onc when I see him in Nov.  

I sure am achy lately -- thought it was easing up as I head into month 6 on Arimidex.  Maybe our cold damp weather is playing a role -- and I started exercising again -- whoa, that sure make me feel old and stiff.....almost makes it worse.   But will  persevere!

My son is home from college for a long weekend -- always a joy.   Next my DH and I head to Mexico for a week in the sun -- Vit D!  absorb that calcium!!

Stay strong ladies..

• ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2009

Sukiann...great article, thanks for sharing!