Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2009

Good luck Chris...you are in my prayers. Hope your recovery is quick.

Teresa

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited November 2009

good luck chris. Prayers for you.

Yeah Patoo. Now tell us it wasn't that bad!

Had dinner with ladies tonight and then went for a walk on the waterfront boardwalk. It was nice. Saw pictures of Nags Head damage and it was really bad. Expecting another storm on Sunday. Which ever way my son goes he has to take a ferry to get off of the island. Starting nights on Friday for 3 days or nights. Have a great weekend.

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited November 2009

Chris,  Thanks for your kind words.  Haven't heard anything yet, they said 5 business days and that was last Friday, maybe the onc will call today otherwise she gave me her email address so I'll email her.  I have started to get pain in that side and in my armpit, which I had a suspicious ultrasound a few weeks ago.  Hope it's not anything, can't feel any lumps or bumps there so that's a good sign, right - although it's just above where we fell the lump - who knows!  I sure hope this journey gets easier as time passes.  On a good note the pains haven't been as bad this week during the day and they have subsided somewhat on an evening too - the sweats though, not good news there.  Is anyone else having major vaginal dryness issues, not to put too fine a point on it I think it's drying up and healing over, sex life - no thanks!!!!  A friend gave me some Replens but left out the instructions and I cannot figure out how the use the applicators, could be chemo brain or just plain stupidity? Agghhhh!!

It's so great to be able to share experiences with you ladies, sometimes the problems we have I don't feel like discussing with other people as I don't think they fully understand the issues.  I don't want to be the Cancer Friend to them, I want to be me, the old pre-cancer me.

Well I'm at work and should start to get things moving.  Sorry to hear some of you are experiencing really bad weather, hope you don't get too much damage.  Love and prayers to all.

Gaynor

• glassist
    glassist Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2009

I've been on arimidex for 3 weeks now and have the usual joint pain, but nothing I can't live with.  My issue is sleep.  Or more clearly, LACK of sleep.  I've taken trazodone for years and it worked great until arimidex.  Does anybody else have this problem and, if so, any suggestions?  I've been taking arimidex in the evening with dinner.  I wonder if I switch it to morning if that would help.  Also, to lakewoman, my doc put me on clonidine at night to help with hot flashes.  It really helps.  They are now warm flushes.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• O3132W
    O3132W Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2009

glassist:  I take one armidex along with one Hydroxyzine Tab 30 mg at bedtime and sleep good.  I have been taking Hydroxyzine for many years for allergies where my skin itches and my Dr prescribed this pill for inching and it contains a small amount of seditive.  My Dr. described this script as an old pill with very few side effects.  I also contacted my pharmasist to be sure that I can take it along with arimidex and he said yes.  Hydroxyzine is generic and does not cost much.  It would be worth your interest to get sleep.   Good Luck   Cathey 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited November 2009

"You were abducted by Aliens and experimented on?" - don't I wish!!!!  They probably have the cure, I betcha!

BS not available until Tuesday but that gives me time to pick up a decent copy of the report tomorrow so we both can read it.

glassist - I take my little white pill evenings as well with little problems sleeping - most nights anyway.  When I do have problems I take a tylenol pm and it works like a charm.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited November 2009

Is anyone else experiencing cramps in either arch-instep part of foot or in calf of legs?  I started getting these a week or so ago at night.  Kind of wake me up even though I am a sound sleeper.  Any ideas for relief?

pam 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited November 2009

I had horrible cramps in my right thigh a few nights ago.  Was ready to amputate it myself.  Finally was able to stretch it out after trying for about 20 minutes.  Need to start mixing the cherry juice in the tonic water to see if that helps.  Get cramps in legs probably once a week, always at night.

• MariaG
    MariaG Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2009

Just wanted to update.  I was switched from Femara to Arimidex back in Sept.  I was not to start the Armidex until Nov. 1, a one month vacation from the A's.  I just could not tolerate Femara, many side effects and pain.  I have arthritis to begin with. Doing much better with Arimidex, so far and thankful especially for the clear head,  Femara made me feel very brain fog.  Some slight discomfort to report but nothing that I can't handle and no need for ibuprofen or anything else.  During my vacation from the A's I started taking Glucosomine and the black cherry juice and I do see a difference for the better with the arthiritis that I do have.  I also started exercising more, walking,  weights and a combo yoga/aerobics class but in the pool. I do the yoga/aerobics twice a week, love that class. If I can go thru the 5 years feeling as I do now I will be very grateful.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited November 2009
    Maria, glad the Arimidex is working better for you.  Smile
  • ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2009

surgery went well. can't type very good with one hand. sore, but not too bad....thanks for asking!

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited November 2009

Hi Chris,

Glad to know things went well for you.   Do you ever feel like you've had enough go wrong?  I am counting on 2010 being a better year.... no more surgery!   Take it easy!

pam 

• sobx
    edited November 2009

I had the leg cramps and was told the little white pill can cause RLS. Thus the leg cramps. I take ibuprofen in the morning and at night. (3 of them). Can't help with the vaginal dryness. Husband filed for divorce between chemo and rads so I don't have to worry about that part of the SE's. I am now losing things. Lost a cup, packet of needles (x stitch), extension cord, jacket. Maybe the aliens for Jo and Patoo are picking them up and forgetting me! Beam me up Scotty!!

Take your time getting back to norm Chris. Glad it went well.

Patoo - ask for the report in English!! 

All of my blood work came back marginal. A little higher than last time. D was 52. The onc said it all looked good. Good till February. Better get ready for work. Have a great weekend.

• mbirdsall
    mbirdsall Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009

I have just started Arimidex, went through Femara and Aromasin and felt achy all the time!  Arimidex seems to be better but (and there is always a but!) my face is breaking out all the time!  I'm 55 and can't believe I am now dealing with pimples as well as hot flashes, aches and pains etc etc that everyone is dealing with, go figure!

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited November 2009

Thanks to Pam and glassist for your reference to me ...I felt hugged..Prayers for all of you ..Sorry not to get back until now ,busy getting ready for 6 day semi guided deer  hunting trip with hubby and our 2 sons...I DO NOT HAVE TO COOK!!!.. We leave tomorrow a.m. I went to my first BC support group gathering this week...It had been almost 2 yrs since diagnosis but it just was not time until now..They gave out free magazine CURE. Of course I had to open my mouth about libido ,,,we did share quite openly,,,But the magazine had an article...something about toys and gun oil ,,wish I could remember exact title...but you'll find it ...Well it is so good and I got such a great laugh out of this woman's( a chaplan) plight of vaginal dryness and need for her sexuality to be stimulated,,.It is so very well written .NOW when I return in 6 days I hope for sharing in this regard .if some of you  are open to this...TY for helpful hints on hotflashes...my seem to be so much worse during full moon..well our bodies can be LIKE 90% water and if it affects tides it could be why it affects me then..Bless all of you!

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited November 2009

A question for all the Arimidex folks....I had bmx in Jan of this year, clean nodes. Only treatment was Arimidex. I am being treated in Boston, MA at Dana Farber. I had a question for both the ONC and BS whom I saw this past month. My question was.....how do I know if this arimidex is working for me? Are there any blood tests, etc........

The ONC, Mr Personality, said ......if you get mets we know it is not working. Lovely thought. I asked the BS and he concurred. 

What are your docs doing for you? I am 62 and post menopausal, have gained some weight and have a nifty muffin top right now that I don't think I had before, altho the boobs were so big , who knows. I also have some joint pain which is another lovely side effect. I never had hot flashes during menopause but have noticed a couple every now and again. 

No mention was made of any scans or lab tests. Any thoughts? Thanks, I appreciate it! Sue 

PS Pre operatively, I was told I had the (excuse me) good kind of cancer. The BS told my dtrs my prognosis was just fabulous. Wonder if his boat payment was due. I do trust these docs but........I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks again, Sue 

• windshift
    windshift Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009

I just completed my first 30 days on Arimidex. I had been really concerned about taking it since I was afraid of se's. All seems good. The only thing I'm wondering about is the fact that I  have had a nagging sore throat - not terrible just pretty constant.  I also have a lot of sinus headaches. Also everyone I talk to on the phone thinks I have a cold. I'm suspecting that maybe this is just a change of season thing but when I realized it started about 3 weeks ago - I thought maybe it might be an side effect.  Am I getting a little crazy about these se's or is this just a sinus/throat thing going on?

• 55Barbara
    55Barbara Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009

Sue-61, I also am being treated at Dana Farber and just started Arimidex after two years of Tamoxifen. I was told the same thing: there are no tests. I go every 6 months for a visit with the oncologist and physical exam. They don't scan unless you are having symptoms. When I asked I was told that was their protocol. No routine scanning. No blood work now either. Makes me worry but I now pay very close attention to my body. My BS who was local did tell me he would order scans whenever I wanted. I did have a Cat Scan before having bilateral reconstruction. I just wanted to be sure I was okay before going through with such a big surgery and long recovery. 

When we had the scanning discussion my oncologist did say to me that it was more important to "wear your seatbelt" as I had more of a chance of being injured in a car accident than my cancer returning. I think about that often and for some strange reason it does help me put this all into perspective. Can't help but worry sometimes though. 

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited November 2009

Sue-61------------- I too was told by one of my doctors ( early on ) that I had the "good kind" of cancer................ he did go on to explain that grade one is the slowest growing and least aggressive and the one to get if you have to have any. Who knows. You asked for feedback so here it is.......hope this helped.

Take care and be well,

Pat

• sue-61
    edited November 2009

WINDSHIFT

check out the sore throat side effect of Arimidex:

• In the early breast cancer clinical trial, the most common side effects seen with ARIMIDEX include hot flashes, joint symptoms (including arthritis and arthralgia), weakness, mood changes, pain, back pain, sore throat, nausea and vomiting, rash, depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, fractures, swelling of arms/legs, insomnia, and headache.
    HMM and 55BARBARA, thanks so much for your input. I guess I am just having one of those weeks where I worry! I was dx last Dec and Dec is fast approaching so.......I just felt kind of lost  the last time I was at Dana Farber. My ONC is a Phd and doesn't really have that nice bedside manner; he is pleasant and very smart and very nice. I think when I see him in the Spring I will tell him I am "needy" and want some good thoughts when I leave that place. DF does not believe in over treating. That's for sure! Sue
  • hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited November 2009

I started Arimidex in the middle of August - so just over 3 months ago. So far the se's are manageable but I have night sweats (l haven't had those for years) and a couple of warm episodes during the day, which I never had before. I asked my doctor (at a major cancer center) "how do we know if the treatments work?" and she responded "you'll know if they don't". I still think the diagnosis and treatment of bc is at a primitive stage and one day people will look back and be appalled at the "slash, poison, burn, poison" approach. My mother died of this 27 years ago and it doesn't seem that much has changed.

• hmm
    edited November 2009

Sue 61.............. you mentioned that DF does not believe in over treating. Am just curious ( and hope I am not being intrusive) if maybe you feel that there was not enough? 

Hope you are having a good day.

Pat 

• sue-61
    edited November 2009

hmm

I have read on the boards here that some women w mastectomies have also had CHEMO with clean nodes. I am a retired RN and that makes no sense to me but I respect everyone's treatment plan. The NP at DF said they do little chemo these days.  Kind of an over kill. Like I said, in MY circumstances. etc. I certainly don't want to upset anyone. Sue

• hmm
    edited November 2009

Sue............ Thanks for responding.........now I know what you were meaning.

Pat

• mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2009
    Sue-61 - I was treated at Northwestern University's Lynn Sage Breast Center in Chicago.  My onc told me that the Oncotype test is being used to determine who really benefits from chemo and who does not.  That's why the oncotype trials are so important.  She said that the prevailing belief is that we over treat with chemo and need to asses the benefits against the side effects.  As to follow-up tests, blood work, scans, etc., my onc goes with the latest oncological thinking that over-testing leads to too many false positives, unnecessary testing and invasive procedures, not to mention an emotional toll on the the patient.  She relies on her patients to report any changes.  So, she gets an earful every time I see her.  So does her PA, who is fantastic.  She answers every call I make and has a complete answer for me which I can understand.  While I don't go along with the mammogram guidelines just issued by the governmental task force, I was aware of the pap smear change for women over 60 who have had no abnormal paps in the past.  As long as there is legitimate clinical trial data to support changes in diagnositc procedures, I'm for it.  The mammogram thing is, in my opinon, somewhat suspect given the political climate.But, who knows. 
  • sobx
    edited November 2009

Mine was found w/mammo, early stage no nodes. I was told to begin with just rads but after surgery told chemo. I fought the whole way but told it was "precaution". My mom died 23 years ago from BC. I went through chemo and rads and now on arimidex. If it  helps and saves me I'll do it. SE's and all.

My face also got real greasey and had bumps on it. That soon passed. I changed facial creams and washed my face several times a day.

• sue-61
    edited November 2009

Thanks to all for your input. Sue

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited November 2009

ChrisC433

Got my results in finally yesterday afternoon and all is good with my world, "no appreciable mass, nothing worrisome"!!!  I also asked about having a bone density scan before I go back in Febraury for my follow up but my onc said she doesn't feel it's necessary - not sure about that but I'll ask again when I go back to see them. It seems from this site that a bone density scan is normal procedure, but is there anything normal practice about this disease and it's treatment?  For now I will get on with life and enjoy myself.  The aches and pains are getting milder, seem to spike when I get anxious about things so I guess I need to keep life as stress free as possible - not easy with a 19 year old son but I can try, hahaha. 

Love to all Gaynor

• ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2009

Gaynor:  So glad everything has turned out well.  Push the doc for bone density screening.  Having a baseline is important since Arimidex can cause bone loss.

I have 4 boys..23, 19, 14, 8...there is no such thing as stress free!!!

Chris

• ladybug728
    ladybug728 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009

I took Arimidex on a clinical trial and finished just two weeks short of 5 yrs. on the drug.  I took it every morning, and for the first 18 mos. had SE that made it painful to get out of bed in the morning, Did still have some sleep issues.  Painful SE disappeared after 18 mos. - 2 yrs.  The reason for quitting 2 wks. short of 5 yrs. was due to a diagnosis of an advanced local recurrence of a 12 cm. ILC, so the Arimidex is no guarantee that you won't have a recurrence.  I am in neoadjuvant chemo to shrink the tumor so I can have a mastectomy.  Wondering whether to go on Tamoxifen if Arimidex didn't work?  Also have 3 genetic blood clotting disorders and have been told I am not a good candidate for Tamoxifen, but am wondering whether taking Coumadin would help?  Has anyone out there done this?