Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited December 2009

Oh my--- I lived in the mountains of VA where they do hunt. My DS loves to hunt but I can't get pass the big brown eyes! The only thing wild I cooked was frog legs and they jump in the pan while they cook. If it doesn't come from the grocery store - I don't think soooo! My dad cured me from eating eggs by making comments over the b'fast table. I wouldn't eat them for a long time or get the flu shot when I was younger. My dad also called tapioca frog eggs. Funny how comments can make you think twice about eating something.

• mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2009
    A Christmas Thank You -  To all of you on this board, I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and while you may not realize it, you all have given me a Merry Christmas as well as a happy New Year.  Your advice, your sharing, your good natured chit chat, and your caring, all of these have given me the strength to continue to stay on my Arimidex and fight the good fight each and every day.  I am so grateful to all you.  A million thanks and all my love.  Hugs, Marilynn
  • socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited December 2009

for you Marilynn...and everyone

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited December 2009

Our group members must all be out shopping!  It's cold and dreary here today in south Louisiana, but at least it isn't raining.  Yet.  The rain is supposed to start up again late this afternoon.  Hope everyone is doing well.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited December 2009

Hi, Carol and Jo

My shopping has been done for awhile. I buy things all year so as to avoid the crunch time.

It is FREEZING here in MA! BRRRRRR. The weatherman said what the temp was but he added that it "feels like 6 degrees". I agree.

I was out doing some shoveling to free up my gutters and down spouts after a snow storm and my hip is killing me. I just love my Arimidex!

Sue 

• wondering7
    wondering7 Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2009

Hi

See my post on muscles and arrimedex and re food choices and see if that helps you in any way.

wondering7

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited December 2009

I put away the x-stitch for over a year and now trying to get back to it for a friend and my fingers are killing me!! Thanks arimidex!! I hate to think I have to put it away for another 4 years. I think the cold is starting to effect me too. But then it was in the 70's one day and then 60's and two days later in the upper 40's. The wind just cuts through you.

• carolehalston
    edited December 2009

We're having so much rain that I haven't walked the last two days.  This morning when I got out of bed, all my joints were aching.  I'm hoping it won't be raining in the morning.  The walking helps a lot.  Plus I need to be more consistent about the weight workouts.  Dh and I are both missing our golf.  With a lot of time around the house, we've been cooking comfort food.  Home-made bread, chili, chicken and sausage gumbo.  I've been wearing some jeans that were too roomy a few months ago!  Frown

Despite grumbling about aches and pains, life is good.  Hope everyone is enjoying the pre-Christmas season.  My limited shopping is done. 

A peaceful Saturday night to all.

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited December 2009

HI Everyone,

HAven't been here for a little while, hectic schedule due to the upcoming Holidays.

I have decided to switch back to Femara due to constipation and heartburn/acid reflux problems with the Arimidex.  Waiting to "go" for a week isn't a good thing, even with the aid of stool softners and laxatives!!  I also noticed I had a constant sore throat but thought maybe it was to the indigestion problems I was experiencing.  Glad to report that those side effects disappeared almost overnight on switching back to the Femara.  Joint pain no different with either.  I did something this weekend though, probably due to the snow shovelling, and I've put my back out.  I will have to leave work and go to the pharmacy for some over the counter remedy. I don't think the cold weather helps with the joint pain any.  Luckily my husband and I are going on vacation to the Dominican over Christmas so I am really looking forward to some warm weather and r&r.  The vacation is a kind of cancerversary gift - one year tomorrow since I started radiation treatment and also just over a year since I finished chemo - at least we get extra dates to celebrate as we move on through our different treatments.

I asked my onc about having a follow up bone scan when I go back in February as I will have been taking AIs for a full year by then but she said it isn't standard practice here in Ontario, Canada - that's not what I get from reading these sites, I think I'm going to insist!  Also, I have never been told anything about watching my cholesterol levels, no blood tests etc - are there any warning signs I should watch for. 

One night last week I forgot to take my sleep med - not doing that again!  I thought maybe it was time to start coming off these pills, even though the onc and family doctor say they are not an addictive kind, but after the night I had I'll take their advice and keep taking the pills.

I did ask my onc about stopping taking AIs due to the SEs but she said it would raise my recurence changes by 50%, so that was a no brainer.

Well, best set to work - wishing everyone a joyful Christmas and a Healthy and Happy New Year.  May 2010 bring everyone at least something of what they wish for.

Gaynor

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited December 2009

Gaynor,

I just realized you were asking your onc for a bone scan, what you should ask for is a bone density test maybe that's the reason he is denying the test. Bone scans are done to detect mets or other things, not done regularly in my hospital either but bone density is very different you should get one.

Welga

• carolehalston
    edited December 2009

Gaynor, how wonderful that you're celebrating your cancerversary!  I find my attitude toward day to day life has changed since bc dx, surgery, and recovery.  I take one day at a time and don't get too stressed over needing to get something done.  Welga is right in pointing out that you want a bone density test, which isn't expensive.  Before bc, my gynecologist ordered a bone density test every 3 years as standard screening. 

Jo, I've been meaning to ask you and others who've finished up their 5 yrs on Arimidex if losing weight became easier.  My weight is up 8 to 10 lbs in the last couple of months, but my diet is a factor.  I've been indulging too much and have fallen off the WW wagon.  I do wonder if Arimidex isn't a factor, too. 

When I had blood work about a month ago, my cholesterol had shot up.  I've started taking a red yeast rice supplement that I bought at a health food store.  When I go for a checkup with my PCP in 2010, if the cholesterol is still high, I may ask for a prescription for a statin.

I'm taking my little white pill and hanging in there! 

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited December 2009

HI Ladies

Sorry if I said bone scan as I did mean a bone density scan, and that's what I asked my onc to do before I go back for my next visit with her in February.  I particularly asked because of all the aches and pains which right now are at an all time high, may be due to the cold weather and the snow shovelling too.

I will call my family doctor and ask her about getting my cholesterol levels checked, may be I was asking the wrong person in asking the onc, I guess I just figured anything to do with cancer treatment would go through the onc.  I do not think I need to worry about raised blood pressure as my BP is regularly around 80/60, amazing low I am told.

For all you ladies asking about hot flashes I started with them during chemo and they continue to go along in their merry way.  The other night I forgot to take my sleeping pill and had no sleep for the night, I didn't realize how many hot flashes I get during the night as I am usually out for the count but boy oh boy did they come thick and fast.

At least swithching back to Femara seems to have cured the constipation problem, yipee!!! For me this se from all the drugs seems to have been my major bug bear, a week between poops is no joke, let me tell you!  But on the upside I have not had any problems with weight increase, at least so far.

Thank you all for your input.  I sometimes do not know where I would go to get the advise so easily, it's nice to know we can all share our problems and our successes with people who understand.

My boss has a sister going through the arimidex thing and she will check things out with her, luckily for her though the aches etc have not been a problem and I sometimes get the impression that my boss thinks I'm kidding, but we are all different in how we are affected by these drugs and those on the outside need to understand that.

Well once again I wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR. I am busy at work preparing for the Christmas break and may not get a chance to get back on line before we go away for the week to sunnier climates.

Love to all

Gaynor

• rreynolds1
    rreynolds1 Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2009

Hi All,

I gained 6 pounds during the first 6 weeks on Arimidex.  I find I really crave carbs which is common for people who have sarotonin loss.  I saw depression and mood swingsas possible side effects.  Once I realized that I had carb cravings I have leveled off but not lost the 6 lbs.  Any of the rest of you craving carbs?

Roseann

• ChrisC433
    ChrisC433 Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2009

Roseann:  Is there any other food group???

• nelia48
    nelia48 Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2009

It's been a while since I've been here!  Sorry about that.  I thought life had settled down a bit, but. . . .

When I first started on the Arimidex a year ago, I had the usual complaints, especially the not sleeping at night and the horrible sweats.  I was sleeping with ice packs.

Now, during the past month or so, I've been freezing cold.  Chills.  hair standing up straight!!!!!  I'm in Florida and everyone has their air conditioning going.  I'm sleeping under 3 quilts, have layered clothing on, socks, slippers, etc., and can't get warm.  Is there something wrong with me, or is it the Arimidex?????

• nelia48
    nelia48 Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2009

Thank you!!!!!  That is exactly what it seems like, and it is most likely to happen later in the day.  You are right ---- I'd rather be cold than HOT --- at least I can add clothing.  When I was HOT all the time, there was only so much I could take off!

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited December 2009

Mersmom, Welga ,Sue, and everyone...I was on a trip in WI for a week and missed LOTS!!!! So happy to read posts. Guess my deer hunting got many reminising!  SO fun reading all your responses! TY Sue for MOJO website ...I am in the experimental stage of upgrading my libido ! MY lab...OUR bedroom. More on test results after the first of the year!!!! Then  I will relate segments of the article from CURE ~sorry it was not available online! Merry Christmas to you all!

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2009

lakewoman,glad to here you a embarking on your research project.I have been thinking that maybe a little updating of the "lab"(my husband really like that ) might help...it has been a while.

I have a different outlook on the holidays this year just knowing that this time last year I had no idea what was about to happen to my body and mind.I saw a gal that went throough RADS at the same time I did...she had already completed chemo and seemed to tolerate radiation well. She walked over to me and gave me a hug and wished me happy holidays...she must have lost 40 pounds since July. So brave...whispered in my ear her goal was to make it to the newyears eve annual big rival Hockey game but did not think she would live to see the end of the season. For the first time that night I was happy to take the little white pill.

To all of you a Blessed Holiday season and much happiness and good health to you and yours in the new year.

• sue-61
    edited December 2009

Lakewoman, you are a hoot! Keep us all posted on the lab........

I was dx one yr ago. It has been quite a ride. Went to widow's group Christmas party and several people remarked on how good I looked. Mentioned my weight loss. I wanted to say" Yes, those boobs weighed about 7 lbs" but held my tongue as they are not aware of the past year's happenings. 

Nelia, I also have freeze flashes and the weather in New England is certainly NOT helping them. Even in Summer I seem to have a sweatshirt nearby. JO, thanks for the explanation.  I had flannel jammies on last night, 2 comforters and a fleece jacket. I am a vision.

Sue

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited December 2009

Sue,

Do you have a SUNGIE?  Or is it snugee?  Is it already winter weather for you?  Stay warm!

pam 

• sue-61
    edited December 2009

PAM! It is like 6 degrees here today...and windy.......boo hoo

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited December 2009

SIX!!!  Did not realize thermometers go that low.  :)  Of course you probably don't think they go as high as we get in the summer :(

pam 

• casaredonda
    casaredonda Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2009

Hello everyone,

Having some Arimidex insomnia so I googled this site.  It's good to be in a sharing community.  I've been on it for about 26 months and find all the little aches and pains, depression, anxiety, hot flashes and so forth just seem to add up.  The constant fight to keep the weight I lost during chemo off and feeling like I'm going through 100 degrees of menopause.  The oncology nurse practitioner I see is very understanding about the fact that the loss of estrogen is poorly understood and how that in combination with the Arimidex and the impact of a cancer diagnosis can really affect a person physically and emotionally.  I'm so less tolerant of so many things.  My dentist is going to be busy working on my teeth which are suffering from low saliva due to chemo and loss of minerals in my jaw bones.  I'm a bit whiny so my apologies.  

everyone stay strong

• LizziesNuNu
    LizziesNuNu Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2009

Talk about insomnia, it's 4:30 a.m. here, I've been awake since 2:30, have to go to wonk in two hours. Yipee.  Insomnia started about 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping it's just stress, I have my exchange next week, plus I always stress at holidays ( school teacher, hard to keep the kiddos' heads in the game).

Anyway, at first only had joint pain, and a little bit of confusion. My onco said it SEs should decrease. Haven't seem to be getting worse. I really don't want to start switching meds, but will if I have too. I don't see onco until end of Jan. that will mark 4 months on Arimedex.  I think I can live with this if it doesn't get any worse, but I have always been active, and it's really hard to take when your knees won't work, or you stumble because your hips forgot what they were suppose to do.

Any advice, does it get better, or continue to get worse.

• LizziesNuNu
    LizziesNuNu Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2009

casaredonda,

it's okay to be whiny, we earned it.

Hope you have a good day.

• rreynolds1
    rreynolds1 Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2009

Hi All,

I had been doing very well on Arimidex over the past few months.  Now I realize how important it is to keep my schedule as consistant as possible.  I have been working crazy hours and boy do I feel the difference.  I have sleeping issues and constipation and just don't feel well.  Before Arimidex, I was high energy and could adjust to work fluctuations with ease.  Those days are obviously over.

Roseann

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2009

Sue-61, after reading your post it occurred to me that the loss of 7 lbs of boobs might have allowed the skin on your face to snap back to where it should be, so that's why you are looking good to your friends. 

When you think about it, that could be the reason why we all get jowls at a certain age - those sinking mammaries dragging our faces down with them, leaving those lines down our faces pointing to the culprits.  Is that why we look sort of cranky the older we get?  Nah, can't be, blokes don't have boobs, do they?

I wish we needed snuggies here even in winter, we are now suffering 90+degrees F and it will probably get up to 100+ with humidity at around 50-80% on any given day.  Winter stays around 70deg most of the time. 

Sheila.

• u32374
    u32374 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2009
    Mar 29, 2009 01:12 pm kamico3 wrote:

I've been on arimidex for about six weeks now and haven't had any major problems, but I  have noticed that I am experiencing neuropathy  in my hands. They feel numb and tingly quite a bit of the time, especially at night when I am lying down unless I have my arms extending downwards (I'm used to sleeping on my side with my "bottom" arm bent at the elbow and the hand resting on my pillow). Do many other people experience this, and does it get bad enough that you have to stop the arimidex or take some other kind of meds to help with the neuropathy (I'm  not keen on either of these options!)?

Dx

Copied this entry from page two... this is exacting what I started experiencing 2 weeks ago after being on Arimidex since May.  Two weeks before this started I was told my cholesteral had gone up and was put on simvastatin. 

I couldn't believe one day I was having no issues and the next day my hands, especially my right hand goes to sleep whenever, whereever and with no set activity to make the tingeling then numbness start.  It even wakes me up at night if they start hurting enough.

I have been really lucky till now suffering only short term hot flashes. I go back to ONC doc in Jan and will talk to him then as to whether or not I can do anything to help this as it is driving me batty as the the third finger on my right hand is basically half asleep all the time. 

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited December 2009

Hello All

I have truly enjoyed finding this forum as it has helped me digest many of the issues I have encountered since my bc mets dx in September of this year.  I have been treating with Arimidex and Aredia since September 16th and until today, did not make any association with some of the possible se's I may be experiencing from this treatment. 

The first month was filled with hot flashes - worse than the chemo-induced premature menopause and chemo ones in 1999.  I take the pill in the morning.  There no new sleep issues.  There was very little pain except for a few days after the Aredia infusion.  I bulked up on my water intake.

The second month found a marked decrease in the hot flashes - lasting only a very short time after ingestion of the pill in the morning.  Bulking up on water prior to the infusion was helpful and I started some supplements - calcium, magnisim and zinc in one pill, caltrate with D, B complex, cranberry caps, ginger caps and Meletonin.  I am not good with pills so I was taking them every other evening and was feeling pretty good.

The third month found almost the total lack of hot flashes but for an even shorter period after ingesting the pill in the morning.  Still working on the water (I was never a 'water' person so any is an improvement...lol) and continuing with the supplements - still trying for every other day.

Now in month number 4 - not so good with the water except around the infusion time and I have really slipped on the supplements.  I have pain.  I have knee pain, neck pain, arm pain, foot pain and of course, back pain.  I have had some of this pain in the past - knees from too much cheerleading, volleyball and softball, arm - I was a pitcher, neck - compressed in an auto accident, feet and hands have always been crampy - hand from years of computer work and the foot cramps come and go, and the back - lots of disc issues from the age of 15 - I am now 55.  So, I called the onc and saw the nurse practioner - the back pain could definately be the mets as she indicated I have 'significant' disease.  Now on pain meds. 

I am posting this because my recent reading from you wonderful folks has me pondering if I may be having se's from the Arimidex.  I did not want to think that.  I do not want to think that.  If this medicine is going to keep the cancer in my bones and lock it down, I want to keep taking it.  This has recurred after 10years and I darn sure want another 10 or more.  I don't want to stop taking it just to see.  I am confused - two reasons - the possible se's (although not as bad when I remember to take the supplements - which I haven't been doing very good at this month) and what is 'significant' disease? 

I was told I had a sprinkling all up and down my spine.  I was told there were 3-4 lesions.  The MRI report targets T-6, T-12, L1 and L2 as areas of deep something or another.  It does state that spots are located all up and down the spine.  Now my onc did not say significant anything.  He even said things were so small, it was hard to measure - I didn't qualify for any trials because there was not enough measurable disease to meet the criteria for the trials. 

Additionally, I am going to begin treatment for depression as it seems the constant crying is beyond the point of being an adjustment to the hormones.

I might not make any sense but I really don't want to hurt.  I don't want to have my knees go.  I don't want to have more trouble sleeping than I already do (and have had prior to any of this).  I don't want a lot of what has been said about Arimidex to be true for me.  I want this to work for a many years as possible. 

Sorry for the long post - I don't post often and today, this is how I was feeling.

God bless you all and hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season! 

• casaredonda
    casaredonda Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2009

Excellent to hear from so many of you.  I talked to my onc nurse practitioner about switching to Desyrel (trazadone) for sleep and depression and we agreed I might try it to I can get off the Zoloft and not use Ambien CR (on which I sleep so well).but I use sparingly as dependency is an issue on that.  I'll wean myself off the Zoloft and give the other a try.  Not getting enough proper rest does not help with coping issues.  Not too much pain today....hurrah except for a small nagging headache and sore in my hands.  My mother was treated for BC in the 60s and talk about brutal, all they had was radical mastectomy (which cause her to lose some function in her arm) and cobalt radiation which burned her badly.  Plus one could not talk about cancer and so forth as openly as we do now, no support groups except reach for recovery which was not available to us.  I am grateful that we have come such a long way in treatments and support groups.

Wishing all of you a night of pain free restful sleep.