Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited December 2009

Lowrider 54 Just keep talking to US we are all here for you.I cannot help with your specific issues but I bet some might be able to. BUT I can listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYTIME!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited December 2009

Lowrider, I'm so sorry that you're going through all this.  You have every right to vent and express your feelings.  I do hope Arimidex does the job for you.  I find exercise helps me with the joint pain and stiffness. 

I hope you have a joyful holiday, too.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited December 2009

My thought for the day each morning when I wake up is.................WHAT IS GOING TO HURT TODAY?

Last week it was the hip, a couple of days ago it was pretty bad back pain.  Ibuprofen takes care of it and I do have a heating pad in bed, ready to go. I understand the insomnia thing. I am tired of being up for the day at 5 am. My ONC told me it was OK to take a couple of benadryl (I get the generic kind at wal mart) and I find that that really helps me stay asleep. Altho it does add to my dry nasal passages as I do have the heat turned up pretty high. 

We are hunkering down for a big blizzard in New England.

PAM, I have an LLBean indoor/outdoor thermometer, It is pretty cool.  Imagine the digital read out can go pretty low! Hope it's not too hot in FLORIDA these days.......haha.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited December 2009

Dear Sue-61 and everyone up north,

Looks as if you are about to get slammed.  I would love to see the snow but would not want to have to function in it.  Can't imagine having to scrape ice of a car or shovel a driveway.  But I know it is beautiful.  Was 85 here day before yesterday, then a front came through yesterday and it rained all day.  Now today will only be in the 60s but sunny at least.  Our winter weather :)  But not very Christmasy :(  Yes, even we southerners think of snow for Christmas.

i have not been able to walk for exercise since knee surgery and WOW... am I stiff.  Just saw the doctor yesterday and got the all clear to begin walking again.  Thank goodness.  I was turning in to a couch potato.

Happy last minute shopping!

pam 

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited December 2009

pam, I want to be where you are.  :(

Normally I would be just north of you, in "Near Paradise, AL", but we're on the road to much colder places for the holidays.  (Isn't most of the rest of the country colder than FL right now?)  My onco warned me a month ago that the aches and pains from Arimidex could get worse during the winter, when it's chilly and damp.  She suggested I invest in a good NSAID to keep them at bay.

Even though I'm usually cheerful and non-complaining, I do think some of the stuff I'm experiencing is due to Arimidex.  It almost has to be, since that's the only drug I'm on that has been changed since I was dx'd nearly 2 years ago.  I started on Arimidex in late June '08, so that makes 18 months for me.  I don't sleep as well anymore -- not true insomnia; just restlessness and waking up a lot during the night.  I wonder if that's because of the joint and muscle pain.  If I take a couple of ibuprofen before I go to bed, I seem to sleep better; but I'm trying really hard to take NSAIDS only when really necessary and not very often.  They mess with our kidneys and stomachs and maybe even our hearts.

Speaking of stomachs, I think I have more episodes of mild indigestion than I had before. Or, maybe it's the holidays and all the traveling, and the spats with famiily members?  I don't know.  At least it gives me an excuse to pop a couple of Rolaids and get that calcium! I have no data personally on this, but I really think being religious about taking calcium (I take Citracal mostly) and Vitamin D every day does help minimize the aching.  And, exercise and being active seems to help (as my onco suggested).  But, it's hard to think about exercising or even walking to the mailbox when it hurts just to sit still.  :(

Oh, those mood swings...  I liken it to PMS, which stopped 7 years ago for me.  Since Arimidex, though, I have days when I feel blue and gloomy for no reason at all. Depressed, maybe; but not about anything in particular.  Then suddenly it just goes away and everything seems fine. Go figure.  Chocolate helps; except that contributes to that pesky weight problem.

All-in-all, this whole situation sux of course. It's kind of like chemo (I even have thin hair and patchy eyebrows now), except that the SE's now are not as sudden and not as severe as they were on chemo. Many of the same problems, but milder ... only for 5+ years, instead of a few weeks.

Can we do this?  Sure.  I can do it.  The only thing that will make me question being on Arimidex is if it eats my bones.  I do not want to start on a bisphosphonate.  I am convinced bisphosphonates are not as "good" as they're being made out to be.  My onco and the osteoporosis doc she referred me to are hesitant about bisphosphonates, too.  They think no one really knows what the long-term effects will be on bones. Never mind the GI problems and kidney problems bisphosphonates cause; and never mind the ONJ, which is very rare.  My docs are wondering about what happens when a drug not only prevents bone resorption (thus preventing thinning), but also prevents the laying down of new bone.  Some people (how many?) end up with bones that aren't "thin", but are very brittle; and they get fractures even when bisphosphonates have improved their DEXA scores.

<sigh>  Someone on these boards said this was like the song about the old woman who swallowed the fly:

http://bussongs.com/songs/there_was_an_old_lady_who_swallowed_a_fly.php

I think I'm up to the cat.

otter 

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2009

Otter - I love that song.  My dad used to sing it sometimes, I don't know why .......

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited December 2009

Hi Otter,

I always enjoy reading your thoughtful posts, here, there and everywhere.  We have a mother otter with two babies in our lake right now.  So cute.  They come to drink fresh water out of our birdbath as the lake is actually connected to the intracoastal- connected to the ocean- so it is salty.  They live in it but prefer our fresh water to drink.

It's true!!! Like the old woman who swallowed the fly.  Every cure is worse than what went before! Now that image-thought is imprinted in my brain.  :)

Off to hobble around and finish my shopping.

pam 

• carolehalston
    edited December 2009

Melatonin really works for me as a sleep enhancer.  My PCP okayed taking it.  I take a 3 mg tablet before going to bed, read in bed for 30 min. to an hour, and sleep well all night.  I get up a couple of times to go to the bathroom and seldom have a problem going back to sleep.  I am sleeping later than before bc, but part of that is changed attitude.

I read about some of the studies and none of them have looked at long-term use.  The studies also used a much smaller dose than 3 mg.  If someone wanted to try a smaller dose, he or she could split the tablets.

I've also used the benedryl knockoffs, and they work, too, but make me a little dopey.  Benedryl is totally safe to use.  It was first marketed as a sleep aid before the discovery that antihistamines help with sinus problems.

As for menopause symptoms, the Effexor, 75 mg, is helping a great deal.  No mood swings and mild hot flashes.  Even though I'm taking the new generic, it's a premium drug in my RX plan and costs $35 a mo.

The joint pain is come and go and totally unpredictable.  Some days I wake up aching in most joints and move around like a 90-yr-old until I get "loosened" up.  Other days aren't bad.  Almost always, I'm stiff when I first get up from a period of sitting.  Exercise definitely helps, mentally and physically.  I would be afraid of turning into a cripple if I couldn't walk and exercise.

So far, all the SEs are tolerable, thank goodness.

Happy Saturday!

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited December 2009

Hi gals!  Lots of familiar faces on this thread!  I have just a few threads that I post on but ran across this one and have been reading for about an hour now!  LOL   I can relate to most of the side effects that you've been discussing.

After suffering with a bad back for several weeks, I went to a chiropractor who deals with manual manipulations and alternative vitamins and meds.  He told me to get up and MOVE!  He was so right.  I try to stay as active as possible...do a yoga class, walk, and do not sit for long periods of time.  That and a magnesium supplement have keep me going and pretty pain free.  He also suggested that I try to limit my sugar intake since sugar attracts and feeds cancer cells.  At first this was VERY hard but now I don't have the sugar cravings and the pounds have just melted off even while on the Arimidex.  I cheat every so often (and this seems to be a good time of year to cheat) but try to stay away from the desserts and white breads, etc.  I have lost nearly 12 pounds and have not denied myself any other foods.

I do know that our complaints while on this drug are REAL and not imagined as some Drs. have suggested.

I had the chance to hear that chaplain who wrote the article in the CURE speak at our breast cancer dinner this Fall.  Her name is Deb Jarvis and she has out a couple of books that are hilarious and right on the money.

Rita

• lakewoman
    edited December 2009

Ritajean Congrats on weight loss!!! TY for info on Deb Jarvis...Maybe WE could have her for our BC dinner sometime..We had Yvonne Conte last two dinners,,,google her...she sure is funny!!! She is on facebook mention  I recommended her!!  TY! She was in Lowville N.Y

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited December 2009

Pushing up so Jeannette can find it if she wants.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Shoveling snow should have helped with any bone softening or bone loss on this little white pill.  (have to see the positive in this!)

• lakewoman
    edited December 2009

http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.show/id/2/article_id/1246

I emailed Deb Jarvis author of article in CURE magazine,,this is how you can access the article ,,Remember Deb Jarvis is a minister . Bur if her openness to her libido ,...or lack thereof at one time,, is offensive to anyone please just stop reading it.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited December 2009

Hi Ladies, I have seen a few familiar names on this thread. I started Arimidex Dec. 1.

My problems to date have been waking up soaking wet, the sheets are completely soaked and Yes, it has affected my appetitite too, have lost my desire for any vegetables and/or fruits.I only want comfort food in the morning, i.e. french toast. Nothing else appeals to me.  I am post-menopause,and without the HRT, I would get hot flashes periodically anyway.  While in the company of my friends,(while inside)  if I start to sweat, they understand  when I start to strip to a short sleeve tee shirt in this cold cold weather while they are all in their warm sweat clothes.

I also do not sleep through the night. Constantly checking the clock like I have somewhere to go.

Other than that, I have not had any other side effects with Arimidex.

HUGS TO ALL, I am glad I found this Arimidex thread and just wanted to be included.

• lollys
    lollys Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2009

Is anyone on arimidex who also had adriamycin-- My echo cardiagram should a lower ejection fraction and just wondered if arimidex and adriamycin arent a good combo( of course not taken at he same time-- finished adria in july --started on arimidex in Oct0 guess it is probablydue to the adria but just worried-- very worried-- dr. says it is still in the normal range but the ejection fraction really went down to lowest normal-- I exercise a lot but scared -- anyone else??Laura

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited December 2009

Lakewoman

That Deb Jarvis is a hoot. I read the article and spilled my morning coffee all over myself, I was laughing so hard. 

Hope things are improving for you in the "lab."

Sue 

• patoo
    edited December 2009

Ronna - welcome.  Glad you found us.  You will get lots of support for the journey.

Lollys - you posted late last night (for us on the east coast).  I can't answer your question but hopefully someone will be along before long who has some info to share.  Meantime, try to relax (I know it's a big "try" for this journey).  My motto is there is nothing to worry about until my docs tell me, i.e. need additional testing, as I don't believe they have an agenda to withhold tx if I need it.

• ronqt1
    edited December 2009

Patoo, thank you for the warm welcome. From reading this site, I see I have to be careful with what goes in my mouth as I am no longer exercising and not as active as I was. As old as I am 60 - I was a gym rat and danced Zumba 2x a week. I have instead bought snow mobile clothing to wear while I attempt to walk up and down the street.

I see that cholesteral goes up too. I take Lipitor for that. Good grief. None of my drs said anything to me about that.

I enjoy reading this thread and have to do it again, more slowly this time.

I even went food shopping and bought a little turkey (something healthy to cook) tonight even though I do not have a taste for it. 

I also reordered my Valium. Now that makes me happy.

HUGS   = will check in later.

• lakewoman
    edited December 2009

Welcome Ronna and Lillys ...

Suggestion Ronna throw the clock out the window !!!! and Lillys I agree with Patto wholeheartedly...I do not know about the med you were on nor your heart prob but the worry will not help it !...Oh and ronna what was the reason why you stopped exercising..?????

Sue ~so glad you found and enjoyed the article...lab results pending hahahhahah

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited December 2009

Morning all - Cold down here on the coast but didn't have to worry about the snow!

Lollys -I took adraimycin and cytroxan. Came off of it last November and started Arimidex in January. I haven't had any real problems other than joint stiffness. I walk twice a day and try to get to yoga once a week. My blood is improving slowly but there isn't any worry about anything. It just takes time and try not to rush anything.

Welcome everyone else to the little white pill horror! As we all say, beats the alternative.

Merry Christmas to all and have a great holiday.

• lollys
    lollys Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2009

THanks all-- sobox did you have any echo cardiogram or MUGA test post treatment-- I am just worried about my heart--thanksLaura

• ronqt1
    edited December 2009

Hi Lakewoman: I had asked my PS if I could resume my gym activities and he said no, but of course wanted me to keep my right arm (side of mx) moving. I had to laugh with your remark about clock, I am still laughing, it is below tv on the cable box so every bed faces a tv, it is just a matter of habit. I promise I won't look tomorrow a.m.  I am thrilled you responded.

I do have a bike in the house, and can do some stretching by myself. I guess he does not want TE traveling.

Regards and love to all on this site,

• LizziesNuNu
    LizziesNuNu Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2009

u32374

I have been on Arimidex since Sept. at first just the joint pain, then a little bit of swelling. the hot flashes have eased, I still have them but not as bad as at first. I started having my hands go to sleep on me about two weeks ago, and like you it's when I have them up underneath my head ( when sleeping) I didn't realize it might be the medicine. I have the insomnia off and on...so far that's been it. I see onco in January, guess I'll find out all this other stuff.

Yuck!!!!

• patoo
    edited December 2009

Hi all and welcome to those new to this thread. 

I haven't been posting too much lately.  Getting tired earlier in the evening the last couple nights and my right hip is really acting up.   Just about ready to turn in soon - made it to 9pm last night.

LizziesNuNu, keep reading on this thread as you will probably find out from your onc, like the rest of us, that this little white pill is responsible for nothing, nada, no se's at all.  The 'other stuff' you experience will most likely be something you hear about only from your BCo sisters.  Frown

• lakewoman
    edited December 2009

HI ALL ! Ronna I am terrible with acronyms what is TE~ I know I will kick myself when you tell me...You had mastectomy correct.?...60 is not old,,,You are just a bit tired from all that has happened recently. It too will pass But for NOW be kind to yourself,...I had mastectomy year and 10 months ago and will be 70 real soon. Feel great ~even with hot flashes..My mom ..a healthy 93 yr , broke shoulder badly few monhs ago, teaches me that a lot about recovery ,from anything, is about attitude.She is now in back in her own home ( after being with us for 5 weeks)and walking outdoors when weather permits. I have to get MY exercise act together REAL SOON I am L-A-Z-Y and that is NOT good>

• lakewoman
    edited December 2009

Oh and help How do I put in my diagnosis and all that stuff??TY in advance.

• julie07
    julie07 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009

I've been on arimidex since my second brst cancer diagnoisis and ovary removal in 4/09. I take it in the morning and feel fine, but I do have nightmares and don't sleep well etc

• julie07
    julie07 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009

I would love to be able to connect with other woman tha are going through the same things as I am.

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2009

julie07:  sorry you had to battle the beast for the second time!  Is it a reccurrence or a new primary?  How long since the  first bc and what kind of treatment and follow-up did you have?

• carolehalston
    edited December 2009

Hi, everyone.  Welcome to newcomers.  I experienced carpal tunnel symptoms including numbness in the hands following my BMX surgery.  Of course, the NP declared no other patient had ever complained of this SE following surgery.  Being of the "fix-it" nature, I did some computer research on carpal tunnel.  I bought a hand-wrist brace at a drugstore and started wearing it at night on my right hand.  It was pricey, about $25 with tax.  I also tried to wear it when I used the computer.

I printed out some simple exercises for carpal tunnel and started doing them several times a day.  They were easy to do any time I happened to be sitting down and watching tv.  I also ordered over the internet some rubber exercise balls for carpel tunnel therapy.  When they arrived, I used them according to the instructions.

The carpal tunnel symptoms went away after a few weeks.  Maybe they would have gone away without the exercises once nerves regenerated or whatever.  I no longer wear the brace at night and I've slacked off on the exercises.  I've been on Arimidex for 3 mos and 1 wk. but the numbness and tingling had started before I started taking the dreaded little white pill.

Good luck to those with the numbness and tingling in the hands.  It might be worthwhile to try some home therapy as I did.

Happy Tuesday.

• patoo
    edited December 2009

Hi JO, it's possible it is aggravated by the shoveling but I had hip issues anyway so I think it's just being a pain again, only somewhat due to the Arimidex. 

Ortho doc told me a few weeks ago that I might need a shot for it.  He had me on an anti-inflammatory and I've alternated between that and extra-strength Tylenol but I really want to not have to take them twice every day long term.  That doc and hospital he's associated with are leaving my med insurance plan Jan 1 so I will probably set up to see another in the next few weeks and go for the shot because the pain is unbearable (though for me I have <0 tolerance for pain - yeah, BIG baby!)

CaroleHalston - I also had issues with carpal tunnel and did get a soft wrist brace to use at the computer during the day and a more rigid one to wear at night.  It has helped tremendously and I only use them occasionally now.

I've been experiencing tingling in the fingertips off and on the past week.  Only for short periods and then it just goes away.

As JO says, better to fight the little white pill SE's than BC!