Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited December 2009

Carolehalst, thank you so much. I am counting the minutes to 2:15 today.

In case anyone is taking Nexium (only because I had a reflux problem and cough for many months prior to this journey),  I asked the pharm. if Arimidex and Nexium can be taken together.

He said 3 hours apart.  I just wanted to share this with all just in case.

It is bitter cold up here, so those in the north east, stay warm.

HUGS TO ALL

• lollys
    lollys Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2009

THanks Sheila--I know I am freaking out over everything-- I thnk my burning throat may have been the start of another cold --I now have a cough and upper respiratory thing going on--hopefully not fromthe fosomax but who knows at this point-- thanks for the post --hope everyone has a wonderful New Years --with love laughter HEALTH and HAPPINESS!!! stay strong !!Laura

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited December 2009

If the cough gets bad - put Vicks on the bottom of your feet and then put socks on. It does work!! Nurses at the hospital even do this. I found I could use Vicks during the day and not offend with the smell.

2010 will be better, healthier and just fantastic for us all.

• ronqt1
    edited December 2009

Hi again, no 2nd fill again today due to a scab that will not heal. I have to go back in 3 weeks to try again. PS said this should not interfere with I hope surgery of exchange in March. I am almost beginning to see light at the end of this tunnel.

I will check in with the posts every day but I wish everyone a HEALTHY NEW YEAR FOR ALL MY BREAST SISTERS.

Peace and love,

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2009

Carole,

I just saw your questions about the Magnesium and D3, I dont check in here often enough to be totally current so I hope you get this reply.

Magnesium is a very important mineral and in this day and age many of us are deficient in it just as we are with the D3. Magnesium aids in the absorption of Calcium and is critical in the formation of strong bones.Magnesium also plays an important role in proper muscle function. So.....what I, and many others have found, is that not only do we fill a need that we arent getting in our diet by taking Magnesium but the combination of helping the Calcium and bone and muscle issues helps to alleviate muscle, bone and joint pain associated with meds like Arimidex...it helps some of us to get a better night sleep also. If you get on Magnesium for a while and you seem to notice feeling a little better, and you stop taking it, you will realize how much it really was helping you with bone and joint discomfort and helping you to sleep better.Magnesium happens to be very very good for the heart, and anything that is good for our heart is good for us.

As for the Vit D3....I was very deficient when I was diagnosed with bc, and my initial supplement was a calcium tablet with Vit D....my levels didnt increase enough, then one of my Drs told me that by taking the Vit D3 in gel cap form by itself  I would have a much better absorption, and within 2 months of changing the form of D3 my levels were normal and are now holding in a high normal range. I also do my calcium a bit differently....I eat a bowl of Total Cereal every morning....1000mg calcium with 1/2C Over The Moon milk 160mg Calcium and I take one Tums EX every night at bedtime....this takes me well into the range we need....I spread the intake out over the day and have better absorption, no longer battle constipation, and dont worry as much about the possibility of kidney stones with excessive calcium tablets.

This is all just my personal experience and what is working for me....Im always very happy to share what Im doing and I always like to read what others are doing that works for them.

Here's to Healthy Days !!!!

jan

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited December 2009

Hi Jan, that's great information.  Thanks.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited December 2009

Jan, thanks for the explanation.  I had never given any thought to being tested for Vitamin D until I read on this web site about many women discovering they were deficient following bc dx.  So I asked my PCP to test my level when I had blood work after my recovery.  My D level came back normal, but I live in south Louisiana and am an outdoors person.

Yesterday I bought a Magnesium supplement.  I looked at a gel cap D3 supplement but the oil was soy oil, and my BS instructed me to avoid soy products.  Maybe that tiny amount would be ok?  The D3 supplement I've been taking is in pill form. 

Has anyone had good results with taking Red Yeast Rice capsules to lower cholesterol?  The Chinese have been using it for centuries, but I don't know why they take it.  A woman who works in the health food store told me she takes it with her doctor's approval because she doesn't like taking prescription medicines.  She undoubtedly gets a break on the price, too!   If my cholesterol hasn't gone down when I have my annual physical in 2010, I think I will ask my PCP about taking a generic statin.  My PCP keeps telling me that my ratio of LDL and HDL is in the healthy range despite the total cholesterol number being high.  DH takes Crestor and his total cholesterol is about 140.  But he's a heart patient.

This morning I commented to DH that my small glass of juice is hardly adequate for swallowing all my supplements and few prescription pills!  I guess I'm among those senior citizens who shell out a lot of money for supplements that may or may not be worth the price.  

• casaredonda
    casaredonda Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2009

Hello,

Red Yeast Rice supplement can help with cholesterol and there is one that is really beneficial which is an extended release one taken at night.  At night during sleep it can really have a chance to lower cholesterol.  The owner of a health food store did a little 3 month study with the collaboration of his customers who had high cholesterol and agreed to share the results with him.  All those who participated had a lower level after 3 months and some didn't even make a change in their diet or excercise regime.  I had a health food store myself at one time and knew a lot of people who were trying a more natural approach using red yeast rice and a non flush niacin as well.

Also regarding the magnesium questions.  The best way to take Calcium is with magnesium in a 2:1 ratio although extra magnesium is often good for women as it's been found that women needs quite a bit and don't get enough.  Extra magnesium can help with headaches, muscle cramps and better use of other minerals.  I learned all those facts while I had the store which was more or less an accident since I really wanted a bookstore but books don't sell very well so I was stuck with the supplements which I made my business to know about.

Well everyone, a happy and very healthy new year to all

• ronqt1
    edited December 2009

I think I have a silly question. Are Arimidexians supposed to be taking Calcium pills too.

I take lipitor for chlorestal, but no vitamins. I don't recall doctors saying anything about this,

Let's all strive for a healthy and happy New Year 2010.

• claude1944
    claude1944 Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2009

In reply to the rryeast question....My dh and I are both a good example of its benefits....both had numbers drop drastically with no change in diet or exercise....in fact the dr. at the v.a. where my dh goes advised him to stay on it and has put several of his patients on it because of the great results. I just buy it at Sam's or Walmart....Have a great day...Claudia

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited December 2009

Ronna, you asked this:  "Are Arimidexians supposed to be taking Calcium pills too?"

Yes, most certainly. It's especially important for Arimidexians (love that word!) to stay up on their calcium intake, because Arimidex (like the other AI's) leaches calcium from our bones.  For that matter, I think the current guidelines for healthy living (etc.) recommend that everybody keep their calcium intake up, particularly those of us who are post-menopausal.

Of course, there's debate about whether it's better to get your calcium as food rather than as pills; but I find the pills easier to manage and I'm sure I'm taking in enough calcium that way.  My preference is for calcium citrate, which can be taken on an empty stomach or with food (versus calcium carbonate, which isn't absorbed as well unless there is acid/food in the stomach).  Also, calcium citrate is less likely to contribute to kidney stones, which is important for those of us with a history of producing those pesky things...

I know the BCO discussion boards have been expanding lately, but I kind of wish there was a distinct forum for issues related to osteoporosis, bone health, Vitamin D, calcium, and bisphosphonate drugs.

otter
  • carolehalston
    edited December 2009

Casaredonda, Ronna, Claudia, and Jo, thanks for the response to my inquiry about red yeast rice.  When I go to my PCP in 2010 for an annual checkup, I'll tell her I've been taking this supplement and ask her to include testing for liver function in the blood work.  That may automatically be included, for all I know.

Interesting discussion about calcium carbonate versus citrate.  I'm taking the carbonate and always take it with food.  However, since I take Protonix for reflux, I don't know how much of the calcium my body is absorbing.  My bone density has always been very good.  It will be interesting to see if Arimidex has a detrimental effect.  I've been taking the calcium with D for many years.  Also Gluco/Chon.  Also fish oil caps.  Also regular exercise and lots of physical activity, either tennis or golf. 

Happy and healthy 2010 for all of us "Arimidexians"! 

• patoo
    edited December 2009
    HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!  Animation
  • glassist
    glassist Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2009

I've been reading about all the supplements we "arimidexians" are taking.  Does anyone know if there's anything we should NOT take at the same time as the arimidex?  Is it ok to take it along with calcium, fish oil and other supplements?

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited December 2009

carolehalston

About PPI and calcium, I have read on this board that Calcium Citrate is the one to take when one is on PPI as it is the one the is best absorbed. I have switched since then as I take Nexium. If you do as seach maybe you will find this thread. 

Welga

• arnie2two
    arnie2two Member Posts: 374
    edited December 2009

Hi all... I just switched from Femara to Armidex three weeks ago... so far so good.  Much better than Femara for me....

(Hi Patoo)

May it be a good one!!!

• carolehalston
    edited December 2009

Thanks, Welga.  I will do some research. Not too sure what PPI stands for, but assume it has to do with reflux meds.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2010

PPI = proton pump inhibitor (the mechanism of action of drugs like Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, etc.)

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2010

Hello, All, I have been one lazy gal this wk as I have read most of the posts but haven't posted in awhile.

Happy New Year! 

• ronqt1
    edited January 2010

Otter and all gals, thank you.

I will make sure I get my calcium citrate pills.

Happy New Year to all of us and the healthiest yet.

• rainbowmusic101
    rainbowmusic101 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2010

Does anyone know where to find stats on Arimidex or Tamoxifen re % of difference hormone therapy can make in recurrences of breast cancer and  also does hormone therapy only affect possible recurrence in breasts only or other parts of the body as well? I have been on Arimidex for 7 months and been having severe hot flashes day and night (I take it in the morning), cramps in feet and hands, insomnia plus severe gastro type stomach problems about once a month... I would like to find an alternative... after chemo for 4 months and radiation for 3 weeks, I would like to feel normal - the hot flashes are what bother me the most... fed up with all the drugs in my body. Hope someone can help me... thanks! Francine

• Lindissima
    Lindissima Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2010

Sorry to hear you are having so many side effects from the Arimidex! 

I just saw my gynecologist who spoke at length regarding Tamoxifen and Arimidex. According to the literature given me with the Oncotype test results, Tamoxifen can reduce risk of distant recurrence to  other organs by 50%  My gyn said recent studies suggest Arimidex  or other  arometese inhibitors (AI's) can boost that by about 2 to 3%.  I've been told they both also lower risk of local recurrence (in the breast), but I'm not sure if the percentages are the same.

I have a friend who switched from Arimidex, which almost crippled her, to Tamoxifen and is now doing fine.  You can ask your onco to prescribe another AI such as Femara, Aromasin, or others.  Sometimes switching helps. I take my Arimidex before bed, and take Omega 3 Fish oil capsules 4 times a day, plus d3 and Calcium Magnesium and that has helped  a lot with joint soreness. 

I feel discouraged about taking so many drugs, but feel that is the best course of action for me.  There are women using supplements to try to deal with the SE's of Arimidex, but if yours are severe, speak with your onco and see if he/she can suggest a better alternative.

Good luck!   

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL...TEST RESULTS IN !!!!! ,REGARDING LIBIDO!!!! I TOLD YOU I READ ARTICLE IN CURE BY DEBRA JARVIS..FROM THAT TO A WEBSITE AND A BRAVE MOVE ~FOR ME~ TO BUY A PRODUCT...IT IS CALLED ORGASMIX AND IT HAS WORKED EVERYTIME I USED IT!!!! I AM SO GRATEFUL!  AM I YELLING??? NO MY CAPS WERE ON BY ACCIDENT, SORRY. BUT IT SURE IS SOMETHING TO SHOUT ABOUT!!!  I JUST POSTED THIS ON ' I WANT MY MOJO BACK  ' THREAD BUT SINCE I HAD ADDRESSED THIS PROBLEM HERE ALSO~~~ BEFORE SOMEONE GRACIOUSLY GUIDED ME TO THAT THREAD ~~~I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE...

• lakewoman
    edited January 2010

Oops forgot to mention it is just a lubricant and unlke some lubricants very little needed . Good thing quite expensive!

• carolehalston
    edited January 2010

Francine, I take the generic of Effexor (75 mg) and have mild hot flashes.  You might discuss getting a prescription with your dr.  I also take some of the supplements many of the other ladies on this thread also take:  glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil caps, calcium with D.  A few days ago I started taking magnesium. 

Good luck! 

• carolehalston
    edited January 2010

Sharlene, I'm glad you've jump-started your libido!  Thanks for sharing.

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2010

lakewoman,

Disregard my private message. I found (for those who are interested) orgasmix through amazon. Thank you for your research in the name of your Arimidex Sisters. Very kind of you to share. My husband said he would stay home from work and wait for the UPS truck.lol

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2010

Lakewoman, YOU ROCK!  Please describe to us your tour of the store, or did you order on line? You certainly have a way with the words! Sue

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Lakewoman, LOL - did he offer to pay for express overnight delivery!  I needed a laugh - bent over vacuuming stairs and kinda hurt my hip/lower back.  So here I am on the couch until it loosens out.  I'm determined to clean this house today.

• lakewoman
    edited January 2010

Sorry about your back patto ,,at least laughter can help you heal . My son, a PT with a bad back ,would not recommend couch but the floor ,,UG! Also have someone rub an icecube on sore area for 5 mins YES straight ice,,you can freeze the water in a paper cup then peal off part of sides,,just dont let any of paper touch you ,,it can scratch cause you will fell nothing after first few seconds...try and do this every hour ,,at least for today and part of tomorrow!!!