Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2010

Otter I agree with you about my surgeoon.but I have had to look at the good, as that was the only negative about her!...,Like her telling my hubby and I blond jokes at tough times,,and telling me bring a book to the  hospital "you will be in 3-5 days" No drive thru mastectomies with her!..And each time I see her I feel like I am her only patient and it has been almost 2 years...And she can laugh with me too ..Cause yes humor keeps me rolling ,,The lumpectomy was tough I had a hidden 4 cm tumor when ultrasound showed 2cm,,and I bruise oh how I bruise, one black breast! ,,When she called to "give me heads up on margins being malignant day before post lumpectomy check up and took so much time with me ,Then next day she smiled .with me after she got over shock of what I said .. "do you think it will fall off before you take it off! "And who knows, soon I may share what you said about 3 nodes and LE ty for sharing!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited February 2010

Cyndi, I started Arimidex in Sept. 2009.  At first the aches and pains in joints and muscles was bad enough that I wouldn't have continued taking the med if the discomfort level had persisted.  But it has gotten better.  I take a lot of supplements daily.  Two fish oil caplets, 2 calcium with D3, magnesium tablet, multi-vitamin.  I drank black cherry juice daily for a few months but have discontinued it because the price keeps going up.  The prescription med that really helps me is 75mg Effexor.  My hot flashes are mild and I feel happy and optimistic most of the time.  For sleeping aid I take either Melatonin tablet (3 mg) or benedryl knock-off.  Walgreen's Walsom product works very well.  I find that taking anything all the time can lessen the effectiveness. 

I'm glad to say that life can be enjoyable while taking Arimidex.  The most important thing is to keep moving.  Walk, exercise, play golf or tennis, bicycle.

Have a good day, everyone.

• C130sunshine
    C130sunshine Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2010

Lakewomen.....Otter is correct.  You can not be too careful when it comes to LE.  I "only" had four nodes removed and also developed a mild case of LE.  I went to a LE Therapist and did my exercises everyday.......but after a while since I did not have any problems I stopped doing the exercises (it has been almost a year since I did my exercises)  Well, a couple of weeks ago I noticed my hand was swollen.....so I have restarted the exercises.  Once you get LE....you never really get "rid" of it.  I now wear a bracelet...BUT I NEVER LET ANYONE TOUCH MY ARM (b/p, shots, needle sticks).  Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.

Exercise had really helped with my Arimidex SE...some days are better than others.  I just take one day at a time.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited February 2010

Sunshine, what specific arm exercises do they recommend you do to ward off LE? Please share!

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2010

Thanks to all of you ..I will be wearing a bracelet soon! ,,Hey remember my elevated BP SE well besides the two univasc pills I have been on Toprol small dose 25 mg for few weeks yes BP much lower! 129/70,,,it is a beta blocker ..NOW I have no idea why ,,do any of you??? but my hotflashes have decreased considerably since it has kicked into my system and for the first time in a so very long time I did not have any during the nite!!! Hope it is like that again tonite!!!! 

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010
    Holy Sh#t! I just realized that I FORGOT to take my Armidex this morning for the first time ever!!! I am envisioning cancer cells ready to pounce on whatever tiny glob of estrogen that could have escaped into my blood stream Surprised!! I just gupled down the pill, when should I take tomorrow's????
  • sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited February 2010

Lakewoman, Univasc is an ace inhibitor and Toprol is a beta blocker and I know that they work differently so it is wonderful that the toprol is working for you!

Hello to all. I haven't posted in awhile but continue to email my drug provider to see if Arimidex is going generic soon and they just don't know. I have a feeling that it isn't going to happen. They get to keep their brand name if there are any lawsuits pending. Also Astra Zeneca was investigating it for pediatric use. I would think that if it were going "generic", someone would know. My first refil is gonna cost me! I have to pay 100% until my deductible is met. 

Sue 

• O3132W
    O3132W Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2010

Like you, I have written to many representatives and senators and have received three replies. 

One issue, hidden from consumers is something called "Pay-for-delay".  Simply a legal but unethical practice of Brand name suppliers paying generic suppliers with multimillion dollar settlements to delay generic production for anticompetive purposes.

Our current Chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, Jon Leibowitz, has strongly voiced his objection to this practice and encourages legislation to stop this practice.  For example: The Protecting Consumer Access to Generic Drugs Act of 2009 (H.R.1706) and The Preserve Access to Affordable Generics Act (S. 369) which would ensure consumer's fair access to generic drugs.

With this practice Brand names retain their enormous profits, and Generic brands are paid sufficiently to delay their marketing indefinitely.  The only loser in this practice, as I see it, is the consumer like you and me who continue to pay over $1,000.00 for 90 days of Arimidex without hope of relief via generic arimidex. 

When we request of our congressmen to speak for us and stoping AZ from further extensions of their patent, we also need to add our voice objecting to the current practice of "pay-for-delay".

Perhaps with health care cost issues being a current hot issue, our representatives will listen.

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2010

I just had another blood test to see if I am 'post' menopausal. They want to get me on Arimidex, I was diagnosed with BC in August, 09. I am tired of waiting, I think I may have my ovaries out anyway on advice of some women and my doctor. Why mess around?

I worry that the cancer will be in my good side, it's been 6+ months now, it only took one year to get BC before. The doctor should be calling me today with my results, then I will discuss what we will do.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited February 2010

HI Horsegal,

This is such a difficult phase of your BC journey - making decisions and such hard ones!  Trust your doctors, trust yourself. Fight the good fight! I'm so sorry you are facing this.

pam 

• HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2010

OMG, I get arimidex free.  I thought it was some kind of federal law.  Maybe it's just a law where I live, or maybe it was something in my health care benefits.  Not sure.  I didn't realize it was so damned expensive!

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2010

I had my first visit with oncologist #2 yesterday (It's a long story why I dropped #1). #2 said that he had heard that AZ was seeking an extension on the Arimidex patent. I recall someone's recent post stating that too.

#2 is OK with my buying Arimidex in Canada as long as it is the brand (from AZ) and not the generic. 

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2010

I was told Arimidex is around $400 to $500 a month. My insurance covers over half, but that is still alot for meds. I may look into getting mine in Canada, I can drive there to get them.

• HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2010

All, I found this site and it greatly helped me when I had side effects and didn't know whether they were attributable to arimidex.  You can actually use it for any med.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20541&name=ARIMIDEX

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited February 2010

Really ~does anybody else have bad leg pain and joint pain in the legs.....is this from arimidex?  I can't stand it.....I have never had this before....driving me nuts  and I am going back to work on Monday..not sure about this one. 

CRAP

Balsie~

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2010

Hi Balsie, sorry you are having so much pain.  Many who take Arimidex do have joint pain and it ranges from pretty mild to pretty bad.  Everyone reacts differently to it.  I have pretty bad hip pain but I had it, mildly, before BC.  It got worse again once I started Arimidex.  Are you taking any supplements, like glucosamine and have you had your Vit D levels checked?  How long have you been on the arimidex because sometimes there are bad se's that get milder over time. 

Reading through many of the posts on BCo, here and on the alternative thread should give you valuable information and, in some rare instances, your med onc just may be useful.

Hang in there. 

• balsie
    edited February 2010

Patoo~ Thanks, I take vit D , calcium, coQ10 , folic acid, multi vit. I have had my level D checked it was at 39. I have been on arimidex since Jan. st.   I think it will get better over time...good god it has to...... I see my onc the end of March. 

Warmly,

Balsie~

• sue-61
    edited February 2010

I also have hip pain, but only when I sleep. I keep a heating pad under my pillow so I can spring it into action as needed. My L hip hurt a bit before the dx, but some nights it wakes me up. It goes away once I get up and get moving. I take some ibuprogen (800 mg) before sleeping but I honestly can't say that that is helpful. And the pain comes and goes. Wish it would go away permanently.

but as JO says.........it's better than CA. Right, JO?

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited February 2010

Balsie - try some ibuprofen. I take 3 in the morning and 3 at night. One of the SE's is restless Leg syndrome. It helps with my fingers hurting too. Mine has eased up some. been on it for 14 months.

• pj12
    edited February 2010

Balsie,

I was taking an Aleve at night which helped some. I switched to taking 1/2 a 25 mg xanax at night and I sleep soundly all night! I don't take it in the day as it tends to make me sleepy.

Best wishes,

pam 

• C130sunshine
    C130sunshine Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2010

Ruthbru- Jo-5 is correct.  You should go to a LE therapist. They can show you the exercises to make sure you are doing them correctly and to tailor the exercises to you.  If you think you have LE please get it checked out by a professional.

Blasie- I am so sorry that you are having problems with pain.  Aleve has become my best friend.  My main problems is in the morning.  So before I get up I try to do a little stretching.  I was told to try Yoga.  I am not looking for a certified yoga center.  Good Luck.

• helena1018
    helena1018 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2010

Hi!  I have done extensive research but can't find any study that suggests a woman should take less than 1 mg of Arimidex.  Logically, I don't understand why weight, body mass index (since adipose tissue produces estrogen), and circulating estriadol levels aren't taken into consideration to titrate the dose.  Previous studies using 1, 3 and 5 mg of Arimidex revealed no difference in recurrence rate, but increased side effects at the higher doses.  Is anyone taking less than 1 mg per day? 

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Helena1018,

I have not heard of anyone taking less than 1 mg a day but I did read about one woman on here who was taking 2 a day! I did not mark the thread so no details to add to the story.  

pam 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010
    I don't have LE, but am somewhat freaked out by the thought of GETTING it. I wish there were some studies that could give you an idea of your own personal risk, could measure how well your OWN body's system is working etc. but that doesn't seem to be the case as of yet. So it seems like it is pretty much a shot in the dark....how much does one want to modify/limit one's life style for something that might or might not develop? Frown
  • sue-61
    edited March 2010

Helena, I have only heard of Arimidex 1 mg and that's my dosage.  You make sense, however, at adjusting per body mass, etc. I have been on it for nearly one yr now. Four more to go!

• helena1018
    helena1018 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2010

Sue-61:  How are you feeling on the Arimidex after one year?  Any side effects?  From what I have read, the side effects range from very tolerable in some women to debilitating in others.

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2010

Hi Everyone,

I've only been taking Arimidex for about 2 weeks now. For the last few days I'm just so tired that I have to make myself go. I havn't been this tired since my kids were babies. Is this from the Arimidex?? Will it pass after my body has time to adjust to it??

Thanks,

Susie

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010

Thanks for the LE tips; I will check them out. Susie, I found that it did take some time to adjust and then I did feel better. Try to keep moving a little even if you don't feel like it. Good Luck! Ruth

• sue-61
    edited March 2010

Helena, other than looking somewhat like Sponge Bob, the side effects aren't that bad. My chief complaint is occasional hip pain which wakes me up at night. Just occasionally tho. I was post menopausal when all this breast cancer started and didn't have a bad menopause. No hot flashes or sweats on the Arimidex, altho I did have some many years ago. I think the biggest issue (pun intended) is my belly. I feel like I am prego. I always had a "stomach" but this midriff bulge is making me nutty. Never had that before I went on Arimidex. I also have some arthritis in my fingers and some of my knuckles are a bit bigger, but they are not painful so I don't really care about that. It's my belly that is making me nutty! I think I need to get more exercise outdoors. Once the snow melts that is. I have been painting the interior of my house for most of the winter (bad storm in Dec 08, lots of water damage in the house, etc) and feel that I got a lot of exercise but not the right kind. Anyway, I continue to take the little white pill every day.........

• balsie
    edited March 2010

Sue-61  I have noticed that belly thing you are talking about...do you feel fluffy?  I am not liking that part of it at all.....

anyone else notice a belly bulge at all?  Does it go away...does anyone else notice a bit of constipation...is it the arimidex or the supplements?

warmly,

Balsie~