Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2010

Sue 61- You can google Arimidex Patent. (My oncologist told me about it and then I came home and looked it up)

Lava- Call 1-800-424-3727  that's Astra Zeneca's help line for people who can't afford their meds. I have a friend who gets her Arimidex this way, and it's been so much help for her.

Sunflowers- You are absolutely right about the patent extension from 12/09 to 6/10 for pediatric research. However, at this time the patent is set to expire 6/10. Also, I have worked at a pharmacy for 25 years. It's by experience that I can tell you that when AZ no longer holds the patent, Numerous companies will make generics. That's when it becomes a generic, it goes by the name of the actual drug, not the brand name which is Arimidex. Astra Zeneca will no longer be the only one who can manufacturer that drug, many others will jump on the money train, they always do. It's that process that causes the price to drop when a patent is lost.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2010

I am wondering if it will  be the same drug.....when they go generic and when it comes from different companies will they be the same or will each batch be different with different fillers and such......just going on my expirence with thyroid meds.  the generic ones are not the same.  I would be super happy about the price but not so happy about what could be the outcome.  Anyone else concerned about this?

Food for thought!

Positively,

Balsie~

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2010

By the time they have a generic for Arimidex I will be off of it.  July 26th will be my 3rd yr on it.  Sue61, I have the same SE, hips ache at night, roll over then the other one starts hurting.  I wonder if anyone else has muscle cramps?? I do.  Especially the pectoral muscle on the rads side.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2010

Deborye, I have cramps but in my legs - thighs, calves, arch, toes - you name it.  I need to try and follow to see if there's something I'm doing because it's not all the time.  I have re-introduced the black cherry juice which I mix with tonic water.  Seems that might be helping.  I also have bananas probably 3-4 mornings a week for the potassium.  I understand cramps can also be a sign of dehydration. 

<  sigh  >

So much info; so little info!

• kpopperwell
    kpopperwell Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2010

Patoo, Deborye and all, I have been on Arimidex since May 2008.  I have had all the side effects ie fatigue, joint pain etc.  I have added all types of supplements to my daily regimen.  Lately I have been better.  Less pain, not so tired etc.  I work two jobs and at this time of year 7 days a week.  I found that when I doubled my Vit D alot of the physical pains started to decrease.  I also take bee pollen, resveratol, turmeric, and I can't remember all of them :) , but I am better.  Maybe its the combination of the herbs and time or my body is getting used to the drug.  I heard last night on the news that there may be a problem with Fosamax and bones breaking.  I was switched to the generic for Fosamax but will be discussing this new finding with my onc next month.  Anyone else heard of the problem with Fosamax?

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited March 2010

Susie, I found info on this site: inyourcorner@astrazeneca-us.com. I have emailed a buddy of mine who is a nurse casemanager to see if she has other resources for med asssit. Will let you know if I find out anything.

I also saw the info on Fosamax on the local Boston news last night. What's with that?

I also wonder about generics to be honest. DH was on a blood thinner and the generic bit the dust. I think I will just end up shelling out the big bucks for the Arimidex. I would have to know who made the generic. Big Pharma is not really trustworthy IMO. Such huge profits for both my health insuror and the pharmacy that it owns. 

Have a good day, All. Sue 

• sue-61
    edited March 2010

http://www.astrazeneca-us.com/help-affording-your-medicines/

I waded thru the AZ site and finally found this info. If you make less than 30 K/yr you may qualify for some help paying for the arimidex. Sue

• sue-61
    edited March 2010

Hello, All, my casemanager buddy got back to me with this info. I am sure you know I am a retired RN casemanager but the company didn't allow me to TAKE any stuff with me when I retired 2 yrs ago. But gosh you never stop being a nurse! Hope some of this is helpful. I did know about calling 211 but here is even more info.

These are a few but copay relief gets you to the drug co help
    - Copay Relief 1 866 512 3861 www.copays.org
    National resource for looking for any kind of help is United Way 211 or
    www.211.org 2-1-1 is an easy to remember telephone number that, where
    available, connects people with important community services and volunteer
    opportunities. The implementation of 2-1-1 is being spearheaded by United Ways
    and comprehensive and specialized information and referral agencies in states
    and local communities .
    - Patient advocate foundation 1 800 532 5274 or www.patientadvocate.org

• sue-61
    edited March 2010

Hey Sunflowers, when I googled "arimidex patent", the first info to pop up was YOUR info on bco. You are quite a celebrity. And wicked smaht as we say in this part of the State! Sue

• GnuMonia
    GnuMonia Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010

Anyone who is on Arimidex knows tht it costs a bundle each month, especially if you are in the "donut hole".  If you go to Astra-Zenica's web site (Arimidex's maker) you can join a program which will give you your Arimidex free if you qualify.   They had a prior program for $50 for three months' supply which has been replaced by this one.  It is WONDERFUL to save $400 a month.  I thought i didn't qualify because of my SS income, but I qualified because my medical costs were in a certain ratio to my income (SS).  It can't hurt to check, and it saved me several thousand dollars in the last two years.!

• lava
    lava Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2010

Sue61 and GnuMonia, you guys are incredible with all the info!!!!!!!!!!!

XOXOXOXOXO

• chapstickmom
    chapstickmom Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010

Can you gals give me some support on this ? I am 53 and have atypical ductal hyperplasia and I am a DES daughter (estrogen exposure in the womb.) . Due to a blood clot years ago I can't take Tamoxifen so the doctor prescribed Arimidex for 5 years to try to prevent breast cancer as my lifetime risk assessment came back at 30%. Well he prescribed the Arimidex 5 months ago and I still haven't taken it. I am petrified of it. I feel it will make me into a dried up old hag in a month. I just don't know if it is worth it.  Right now I feel great. I have lost 15 pounds and exercise like a 30 year old. Did kickboxing today. I am really afraid that this Arimidex will ruin my life.

Love to hear some advice from all of you.

Thanks. chapstickmom 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited March 2010

chapstickmom,

We all understand your apprehension as we have been in the same place. I have been taking Arimidex for 8 months with tolerable SEs. I don't like some things about my body but I feel like I am doing everything I should to prevent a recurrence or metastasis. I too have lost weight, eat healthy and exercise daily. I am 98% E+ so feel that Arimidex is an important part of my treatment.

Why not try the drug? You might find you tolerate it very well. Lots of us do. You can always discontinue it if you find it intolerable. You are young with hopefully many years ahead of you. FIGHT LIKE A GIRL!!!

pam 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited March 2010
    I have been on Arimidex 2 1/2 years; I exercise all the time without any problems, maintained my weight with no problems, my skin is fine, I look good etc. etc. At the beginning I was a little creaky and hot flashy; both of which leveled out with time (and keeping moving). It has not inferred with my quality of life AT ALL (which a diagnosis of a re-occurrence definitely WOULD DO! Cry). I have 4 friends in my same town who are all on Arimidex too and none have had problems. Try it with an open mind. If it doesn't work out, you can always try something else. Good Luck! Ruth
  • ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2010

I have been on Arimidex for two years.  I have had hot flashes, now gone. 

I have had muscle pain that stopped when I took Bromelain for a month and the pain is now gone.  Bromelain is from pineapple and is a strong anti-inflammatory.  I no longer take it and the muscle pain has not returned. Vitamin D probably helped as well.  DO NOT TAKE BROMELAIN WITHOUT CHECKING WITH YOUR DOCTOR AND READING THIS LINK.  http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsa1/a/Bromelain.htm

I had dramatic thinning of my hair which has stopped since I upped my Vitamin D3 intake to 4000 IU per day. My hair is still thin.

I had insomnia for months.  My doctor gave me a pill to help me sleep and I broke the no sleep cycle after about 2 months.  I now sleep soundly without meds.

I had a pelvic exam two months ago and it was very clear that my vagina was extremely dry.  My inner labia have disappeared.  So I have the genitals of an 80 year old although I am 64.

I now have fatigue.  I am tired all the time.  I hope that this will be temporary as all the other things have been.  Of course the situation with my genitals is irreversible.

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

It may look like many of these side effects are due to something besides Arimidex, but Arimidex reduces the ability to process Vitamin D3.  I posted a link on another thread, but I can't find it now.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2010

notself - Arimidex also fogs the brain so it's perfectly understandable you can't find the other thread.  Wink  Sorry, had to do that - just playing with you.  (really, really hard to find a serious bone left in my body!)

Actually glad some of you chimed to report that the SE's are manageable.  Many times only those having problems will post so it then looks like it's all bad. 

Chapstickmom, think about the 30%, what will be your QOL if that kicks in.  Give Arimidex a chance to see how you react.  Actually the fact that you already exercise regularly will probably make you tolerate it a lot better than many.  As JO say, the SE's are easier to treat and live with than BC.  Please re-consider.  BUT, whatever you decide, we are always here for you.

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

patoo,

I was thinking about the fog when I typed my post.  I have just entered it in the past week or so.  If it is like my other SE's it should lift in a couple of months.  Smile

• Judy1992
    Judy1992 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2010

Hello All

I"m so grateful to have found this discussion board.  I started Arimidex in October and had no real SE until February ... now thinning of my hair and stiffness/joint pain.  I've been on Fosamax since 1998 and have added 1200 mg calcium with 1000 IU of Vit D - not sure if this is a sufficient amount of D or not ... would welcome any and all information/advice.  Thanks!!

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Judy1992,

You have seen all the news in the last few days about bone strengthening drugs and femurs? I don't know what you can do differently... just be aware.

pam 

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited March 2010

What news about bone strenghthening drugs and femurs?  I am stage IV doing Arimidex and Aredia - whatever the side effects - and they are managable.  Let the cancer kill me later than sooner.  Is there something else I need to worry about?  I am presently occupied with waiting for my scan results.  Is there a link to this news you could post?

Thanks

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

Here is the story.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/fosamax-long-term-bone-strengthening-drug-linked-fractures/story?id=10045179

I suggest that you talk with your doctor about all of the SE's of Fosamax.  There are many.  I regret that I ever took the drug.

I am on 1200mg calcium, 250mg of magnesium and 4000IU of Vitamin D3.  My bone density test indicates my hip and spine area is showing and slight increase in density.

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Lowrider54,

The TV report did state in many cases the women had experienced some pain in the thigh for as long as a year before the sudden fracture. So be sure to report any unusual pain and get your doctor to check it out. Sorry to give scary news but forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.

pam 

• sue-61
    edited March 2010

Arimidex patent to expire in JUNE 2012, that's 2 yrs away per this info that I just received from the FDA. The link doesn't work, however.

Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:20 AM
    From: CDER DRUG INFO <DRUGINFO@fda.hhs.gov> Add to Addresses Block Sender
    To: banselwood@charter.net Add to Addresses
    Subject: RE: DrugInfo Comment Form FDA/CDER Site
    Size: 4 KB
    Dear Susan,

Thank you for writing the Division of Drug Information, in the FDA's
    Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

You can locate the current patents and exclusivities listed for Arimidex
    at

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/docs/patexclnew.cfm?Appl_N
    o=020541&Product_No=001&table1=OB_Rx.

The last expiration date is June 5, 2012.

I do not know who would manufacture the generic when approved as at this
    time there is not a generic application approved.

Best regards,

CAO
    Division of Drug Information
    Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
    Food and Drug Administration

For up-to-date drug information, follow the FDA's Division of Drug
    Information on Twitter at FDA_Drug_Info

This communication is consistent with 21CFR10.85(k) and constitutes an
    informal communication that represents our best judgment at this time
    but does not constitute an advisory opinion, does not necessarily
    represent the formal position of the FDA, and does not bind or otherwise
    obligate or commit the agency to the views expressed.

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Well, that is just too bad. I wonder if they will keep raising the price... twice already in past 8 months. I will keep buying mine locally for a few more months as it goes toward my $2000 deducible.  As soon as I make that I plan to order it from a Canadian pharmacy. As far as I can tell it is the same, just in a different package form.

Thanks, Sue, for trying to get the scoop. Just wish the news had been better for all of us. :-(

pam 

• TNgolfer
    TNgolfer Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2010

Hello All,

First time on this thread.  Well I just got back from the pharmacy with my first bottle of Arimidex.  I think someone is going to have to hold a gun to my head to take this medication.  I have been blessed that my breast cancer was caught early.  I took the aggressive route and opted for the bilat Mx (after 2 lumpectomy's w/dirty margins).  My oncotype score was 19, just over the "no chemo" area and into the grey, but opted for no chemo (and Oncologist was actually ok with that).  So, I feel the worst is behind me (except for those annoying TE's that feel like 20 lb rocks on my chest right now....but that is temporary.

Everything I have read and researched about Arimidex is awful. Even the pharmacist told me his sister could only tolerate the SE's for 2 and a half years. 

I have told myself that I am going to try this and see how it goes...

If I am going to take my multi-vitamin, 1200 mg of Calcium (600 in the a.m. and 600 at night), 1000 mg Vit D, and a baby aspirin, when do we think I should take this lovely little white pill....in the morning (with our without food) or at night?

Marianne

• chapstickmom
    chapstickmom Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010

I am roaring reading your post regarding someone having to hold a gun to your head to take the arimidex. I am still in hostage stage. I have 6 months of Arimidex lined up and haven't opened a bottle yet.

Really appreciate all the postings to help me decide. Still holding myself hostage !!! 

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited March 2010

Thanks pj12345 and notself for the info - I have started a thread over on the stage IV forum as the use of these drugs is rather different in stage iv treatments - a 5 year run on any one of the would be a really good run but I thought it was a good thing to keep informed about. 

• sue-61
    edited March 2010

JO, I just knew you would jump in there and you are so right. Look, I am 62, have some minor side effects, a little pain in the hip, maybe I need benadryl at night to sleep, but it sure beats having the cancer come back. No side effects that are worse than more cancer.

I am a nurse. I have seen some of the oddest side effects from medications. Some people tolerate medications well, others do not. One friend went on an anti depressant and said it made her tired. She stopped taking it. So now she is very depressed and I really don't notice that her energy level increased. I went on anti depressants for a few months  after my husband died. Yup, I gained some weight but it sure beat being depressed and crying all the time.  You have to weigh it out, no pun intended. You also have to advocate for yourself to fight this disease.  Do it for yourself. And your family. If the SEs are bad, talk to your doc. But at least give it a try. OK, Chapstick?

Sue

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

Please check your Vitamin D3 levels.  Once I got my levels up to 60ng/ml all of my SE's, which were mild to begin with, stopped.

I was diagnosed with the beginnings of cataracts before I started taking Arimidex and the cataracts have not gotten any worse.