Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited February 2010

In that case I think I had better keep my mouth shut ... don't want to swallow a fly! Thanks for the warning, ruthbru. I might switch horses once in a while but will try to keep going.

pam 

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2010
    JO
    About eating before bedtime, I have to be careful also, specially bread, pasta or beans (chick peas or others) they bloat me for hours.

Mint also gave me heartburns but did not know about what it did with the oesophagus valve, we learn something each day. Wonder about the wintergreens ingredient that can help you. Let us know.

I never tried the combination of 20 mg nexium morning and night, this might help me also. I've used 40mg morning and night until around 8 months ago and now wondering if this is the cause of my bone loss.

That spot on my back is underneath my right blade. I'm realldy worried because in 2008 I had a MRI and they found an ''unidentified lesion', very small, onc said not to worry, easier said than done, but now the pain has increased, at night I have a hard time when I watch TV, I have to change position all the time, during the day on a straight chair it is not as noticeable. I have my mind wraped around metastasses and cannot stop thinking about this. I will see my onc end of February but will still have to wait at least one month or more for MRI and then a couple of weeks for results. Like you it's specially if I lean on it, it's a spot not an all back pain. I'm glad your's has subside, less worries great, I'll start with heat tonight, voltaren gel and see. Last year I had ostopenia and now maybe osteoporosis, I hope it's related to that, so I can start relaxing. Thanks for your tips

• jakhope
    jakhope Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2010

My Dr has said when I am done radiation, he will be putting me on Arimidex. I am glad to hear your experiences. I have had 5 radiation treatments, and have 28 to go. I take medication for high cholesterol and for reflux.I am 61 years old and am not looking forward to having hot flashes again, but, what ever it takes to fight the battle.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2010

Welcome Jakhope. Would prefer to meet elsewhere but since we're here we deal with it through the support of these wonderful sisters.   I'm also 61.  Started Arimidex in March '09 and did get hot flashes again but they have now all but stopped so very doable.  Stay with us as we have loads of fun on many threads.

Night all.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited February 2010

Hi, Jakhope.  Good luck on taking Arimidex.  My hot flashes are mild.  I take 75 mg. Effexor generic daily because I stopped HRT cold turkey when I was dx'ed with BC.  My most noticeaable SEs are joint stiffness when I get up from sitting for a while or get out of bed.  Once I move around, the joints seem to gain some lubrication. 

Have you visited the older BC'ers thread?  It's lots of fun. 

Happy Saturday!  I have to do housework today and am putting it off.Frown

• pj12
    edited February 2010

Greetings Jakhope,

I started Arimidex in mid-June. At first my hot flashes were actual drippy episodes but now, and for at least a month or two, they are more like warm flashes and quite tolerable. Good luck.

pam 

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited February 2010

Coming Tuesday, it will be 3 weeks for me on Arimidex..I have been taking mine with morning coffee and wait about an hour before I eat and take vits/supplements..I'm post menopause and never had I had a hot flash and so far so good with Arimidex, or does it take a whille to kick in?...My Mom and Sis have horrible hot flashes, wonder why some do and some don't.....I better go knock on wood!!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited February 2010

I found the hot flashes really settled down pretty quickly; although every night about 9pm, I get a 'warm spell'. Strange. I also found that that best remedy for the creaky joints was to just keep moving. Carole, I'm hoping your Saints win tomorrow!

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2010

TO ALL WHO WROTE ABOUT BP..I told you I am being treated for elevated BP because my doctor believes it is a SE of arimidex..I told my husband a couple of weeks ago I want to get it under control and not have a stroke. This is ironic..Life threw us a curve ball ... Monday our 46 year old son had a stroke..his words say it all...!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for all your prayers...I wouldn't be where I am now without them. I was released from the hospital yesterday at 1pm...36 hours after I was rushed into the ER...36 hours after I was wondering how my life would be in a wheelchair without the use of my left side. Now, I am home and feeling fine - one of the few, very fortunate stroke victims (I still have a difficult time hearing "stroke victim", it sounds so embarrassing to me). The Neurologist,-------------(the best you could ask for) wants me to stay home from work next week as well - not a problem, the owner of the company and my boss, are very understanding when it comes to matters like these. Plus, with a computer and cell phone I can still accomplish plenty at home! I will meet with my primary care physician next week and determine a game plan to reduce my blood pressure - permanently! I already eat healthy, exercise regularly, and don't smoke, so moving forward without the fear of a recurring stroke should be very easy. As I sit on my bed typing this I only have to look down on the floor to remind me of this life altering occurrence: Walking to the kitchen Monday evening about 9:30pm I had a slight, unusual numbness feeling in my left side (from my shoulder to my foot) for a very brief moment. Terri ( fiance) said, "I'm taking you to the hospital"...but being the stubborn, naive male that I am I said, "No" and proceeded up the stairs to bed without any problem. Should have listened to her! I awoke a little after midnight Tuesday morning and experienced full paralysis of the left side of my body, very scary to say the least. Terri immediately called 911 and I was in an ambulance in a matter of minutes. The ER at -------- Hospital was all over me when I arrived - a CAT Scan and EKG were performed immediately - but nothing was discovered. Miraculously, I began to get movement back in my left foot about 3am, shortly thereafter I could start to move my left hand a bit, while the left side of my face remained distorted, so they told me (I didn't care about my face!). An MRI the next morning revealed a small, branch artery deep in the brain had been blocked. The most probable cause was my high blood pressure. Long story short, it was diagnosed that I had a Lacunar Stroke - a minor stroke. The neurological department of ----------Hospital is highly acclaimed, and I can vouch for that first hand. The knowledge, experience, and care was very impressive - as well as comforting. My fine motor skills on my left side need some 'fine tuning' (no laughing at my crooked smile!), but a full recovery is expected. I had to think very hard to get my left hand and leg to function properly Tuesday, but I was much better Wednesday. I am very blessed to say the least! I relate this ‘event' as God pulling me over for speeding. I think he said, "I'm not going to give you a ticket this time, just slow down a little bit, and take it easy...oh, and have a good life". God just may be a woman...I'm listening now Terri!
    .My husband and I returned home today our hearts filled with gratitude and hope. And for those of us experiencing elevated BP let's not ignore it!

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2010

And I might add as our sons doctor ignored it. David is so faithful with his yearly physicals I had given him a BP cuff for Christmas,,,He laughed and said " You know  you are getting old when your mom gets you a BP cuff for Christmas.".It was elevated 150/95 ..He went to doctors the next week..the nurse took it twice...his doctor's assistant..apparently did not address it David will find out more this week,from his regular doctor !!!,,..Hey did you know now the treatment for stroke is to keep BP elevated for 1-2 weeks...? If it does not sty elevated they would give meds to do that...he need not need meds It is still elevated..I have to admit when the phone rings I get scared THIS TOO WILL PASS!

• cheers247
    cheers247 Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2010

Hello all, I'm joining the Arimidex group now.  I started on Aromasin, but had horribly high BP's, and had to be taken off (apparently 10% of patient's on Aromasin get hypertension)  I'm talking... 190's/130's... stroke high.  It took a few weeks to come down, then I started on Femara... BP's back to normal, 90's/50's (that's my normal).  But the pain was terrible.  So now I'm trying Arimidex, maybe it will be better, hopefully... if not I'm going to find a way to stick with either Femara or Arimidex, whichever is less painful.  I've got to get through this, it's only 5 years right... LOL.  Much Love!  Jessica

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Welcome Jessica.  Great attitude because you are right, it's only 5 years.  We can pass 5 years with an Ai or without an Ai but regardless, those 5 years are gonna pass.  And borrowing from my twin, JO, SE's of AI's are easier to treat than BC!

Oh, just saw your age in your signature - you're just a baby!  Kiss

• cheers247
    edited February 2010

Thanks Patoo!.. That's so true, I'd rather treat the SE's than the alternative!  XOXO!!

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010

Yikes lakewoman, glad your son is OK. How very scary! Welcome cheers247, hopefully Arimidex will be the right fit for you!

• carolehalston
    edited February 2010

Jessica, I just read your dx info at the bottom of the post and just have to tell you how bad it makes me feel that you're going through all this at age 34.  Life can be terribly unfair.  Don't know whether this is true, but I've read quite a few posts saying that older women don't suffer as much on the AI's as do younger women.  I was old enough to be through menopause when I was dx'ed at age 66, but I had not gone through menopause because I took HRT.  Which I loved because it made me feel so good.  I think my joint pain and aches I'm experiencing could be as much from stopping HRT as from taking Arimidex.  My age caught up with me!!

Good luck to you.  I hope you live a long, healthy life.  Smile

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2010

Lakewomen,

What a terrible thing to go trough, I have a son around this age too that does not go for medicals as he thinks he is healty, what a nightmare, glad he is now out of trouble,hughs

Welga

• helena1018
    helena1018 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2010

Re: cost of Arimidex.  My emdical oncologist wants me start on Arimidex after radiation therapy.  He told me Arimidex is going off patent in approx. 2 months so the cost should drop.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited February 2010

Lakewoman, whew, glad your son is doing OK. What a scare that must have been..........Sue

• meerkat
    meerkat Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010

Hi - I'm 49 years old and stopped taking Arimidex for 4 months due to a raised liver reading.  After all tests were found negative, I am back on Arimidex.  I would just like to say that I'm menopausal and blamed Arimidex on fluid retention with swollen fingers (1st thing in the mornings), aches and indigestion.  Well, all I can say is that in those 4 months, I still had swollen fingers, aches etc.  My oncologist said that menopause is to blame for the swollen fingers because post menopausal women get fluid retention. 

• pj12
    edited February 2010

Meerkat,

You are certainly right about symptoms mudding the water, Lots of folks develop trigger finger while on Arimidex. AHA! I have it, mildly. But, it started before I started the drug. I would love to blame it on Arimidex... maybe just thinking I was going to have to take it. :-)

pam 

• casaredonda
    casaredonda Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2010

Have not posted for a while, working full time so  much time to be online (or energy).  Lots of aches and pains right now, so I thought I'd come by and read some of the posts. I finally got some benefits through my job but during the transition, I ordered the Arimidex from Canada (generic) and was able to purchase 3 months worth for $170 including shipping.  Wal-Mart wanted $425 for 30 days.  Pretty crazy...and all the partisan politics around health care reform is slowing down the necessary changes.  

I'll blame the weight gain on a combination of Arimidex, sweet tooth and my body type, short and round.  I'm taking enough stuff to stay calm, more cheerful and get enough sleep at night.  I'm not going to worry about becoming dependent on anything, and stay focused to staying well, getting enough rest and keeping my spirits up.  Lack of estrogen+Arimidex = depression with a bit of anxiety.  I'm working at a welfare office and people are in such need, that I need to stay upbeat and optimistic.

Everyone have a nice Valentine's Day. 

• cheers247
    edited February 2010

Thank you sooo much Sunflowers, I'll check out the YSC right now!! xoxo

• sur5r
    sur5r Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010

I am on Arimidex too.  (1 1/2)  I take mine in the morning.  My doctors put me on Restoril----wonderful!  Hope this helps.

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2010

I join the others in asking if you  take 1 1/2 Arimidex per day.

And if you do, how, may I ask, do you cut that little white pill? Smile 

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited February 2010

She could mean 1 1/2 years on Arimidex.  But, I am curious as well.

• carolehalston
    edited February 2010

I agree that she must mean 1 1/2 years.  Haven't heard of anyone taking more than one pill a day.  I guess we're all paying attention!!!  LOL

• patoo
    edited February 2010

I immediately thought of 1-1/2 years.  I would definitely wonder how you cut that tiny white pill in half.  I would think it even too little for those pill cutters.

Hope everyone had a good Valentine's Day.

• meerkat
    meerkat Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010

Yes, the liver function test was on a regular check up.  I only take the 1 tablet daily.  I am lucky Arimidex costs me $33 per month here in Australia.

• carolehalston
    edited February 2010

Jo, I think you're right in saying that Arimidex gets the blame for causing maladies that could have another cause.  My joint aches and aging symptoms, I believe, are partly from stopping HRT and letting nature take its course with menopause.  For years I delayed menopause.  My body had started to "creak" during the couple of months off HRT before I started on Arimidex.  I'm definitely experiencing some cognitive decline, which also comes with menopause.

It's a damned shame that I couldn't take HRT the rest of my life.  I felt so good on it. 

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010
    I MISS HAVING HORMONES Cry Cry Cry!!!!!!!!!! (there, now I feel better)