Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• gwerfil
    gwerfil Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2010

Some of those 26 year olds are paying off student loans, or are in graduate school or are unable to find a job that provides health insurance. Many of them didn't go to college and don't have the kinds of jobs that provide health insurance. I don't think flipping hamburgers will cover health insurance, let alone a place to live and some kind of wheels to get you to your job. Some kids work two part-time jobs because they can't find a full-time one in their field. That doesn't mean they can afford health insurance. 

My daughter is 23 and has asthma. (Pre-existing for sure! I remember all the trips to the emergency room when she was little.) She's working, does not get health insurance benefits, so she is still on our plan. Who else would have her? Asthma is not a disability, at least in her case. The whole point of this reform is to see that everyone has access to affordable health care.

I could easily have been dropped by my private health insurance (they've done it to others) because of my cancer diagnosis. Now, fingers crossed that all goes according to plan, they can't do that.

• gwerfil
    edited March 2010

One other thing I will mention. My mother is in the Medicare donut-hole and sometimes we have to help her pay for her prescriptions.

• gwerfil
    edited March 2010

You are right, Jo. There are no easy answers! And we are not there yet. This reminds me of a story my grandmother used to tell me. If you look at the world as a work of embroidery, and our point of view is from the under side, all we can see are the tangled threads and knots. Let's hope that in the near future, a health care design will emerge that will benefit everyone who needs it. There will be kinks to be worked out, but we can do it. No one knows when they could be in a situation like some unfortunate people have found themselves in. Smile

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited March 2010

Lowrider - I am so sorry for your recurrence. 

I have a stepson in law school - he's 25.  Hopefully he'll be able to get a job with insurance in 13 months when he's finished.  We help my mom too with scripts because of the donut hole.  This will help her.  I do like that they can't drop you for pre-existing.  I had the darndest time getting insurance last summer when COBRA ran out and I pay over $900 month for myself now.  And they are eliminating lifetime limits - that applies to a lot us in the BC world.  I know my insurance costs have already been astronomical.  I agree - this is not a healthcare discussion board and everyone has their opinion and their personal story but I won't say "well, I have insurance so I'm not worried about anyone else"  That would not be the decent human thing to do.  There but for the grace of God...it can happen to any one of us.

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited March 2010

Oy. So much to figure out quickly. Thanks everyone for your input.  Arimidex vs. Anastrazole. There's a HUGE difference in price. I just wish it was clear whether or not  (a) it's a generic but somehow not conflicting with the Arimidex patent, e.g. from another country; or (b) it's some lesser drug. I agree with Pam and Jo, I really want it to be the same because of the $ savings but dont want to risk my health.

Patoo - Thanks for the reminder about India. Fortunately, my 83 year old mother already warned me to stick to drugs manufactured in the US, Canada or Western Europe. Before I order anything, I'll call to check out the manufacvuring country.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited March 2010

It is my impression that many of the common drugs are manufactured in India... even if the company is registered in the US or Europe.

pam 

• TNgolfer
    TNgolfer Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2010

Pam,

Arimidex is anastrozole, just like motrin is ibuprofen.  My suggestion is to talk to a pharmacist or find a PDR (physician's desk reference). 

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2010

Pam,

No, I did not do chemo. Both doctors (BS and onc #1) said that my Oncotype score of 24 was right on the fence (Onc #2, to whom I recently switched, agreed). However, I have a neurologically based disability (since birth) and was told that chemo could potentially cause permanent neurological side effects (neuropathy) that would make my condition worse. So, the decision was no chemo.

From what I've heard about the newly passed legislation with respect to the "donut hole", this year those Medicare recipients whose drug costs exceed $2,830 (this year's threshold for the donut hole) will receive a $250 payment to help defray the costs. Starting next year, the threshold for the donut hole will go up and eventually (several years out -- not sure how many that is), the "hole" will be closed.

• bobcat
    edited March 2010
    Jo-5 - checked out the healthcare discussion board.  Whoa is all I can say.  Think I'll stick to the BC, exercise and encouraging topics Kiss
  • ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2010
    If you do decide to visit the health care threads, remember to wear a helmet and flack jacket.  Laughing
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,470
    edited March 2010
    I went on a health care thread, wrote one thing and now am NOT going to even check there again!!! No wonder the country is in such a mess when people can't even have a civil and repectful conversation about things that are really important. (OK that is all I'm going to say about that!). I am going to stick with Bobbi on the encouraging threads Smile. Off to exercise and then down to the Drug Store to pick up my Arimidex prescription. I should get a velvet lined, gold-plated, strong box to tranport it in; as befitting its cost! Good Night All! Ruth
  • ananda8
    edited March 2010

ruthbru,

You were well and truly warned not to go there without protective gear.  Cool

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010
    You are correct, OUCH!!! Talk about needing MENTAL heath care Tongue out!!
  • TXBadboob
    TXBadboob Member Posts: 109
    edited March 2010

I am on a high deductible health plan and after having to buy one months rx of Arimidex for 390.00, I called my onc and had her fax my rx to a Canadian pharmacy and got 3 month's rx generic for 145.00.  She said it was the same, just cheaper.  Interestingly enough, it was shipped from Germany.  I can't tell the difference myself.  You just have to refill it way ahead of time, it took about 3 weeks to recieve it.  This is just my experience.

Good luck,

Deen

• bobcat
    edited March 2010
    Ruth and Notself - what was I thinking?  I posted an article on the HCR board that was sent to me by my college-age son.  Thought some on there would interested in reading what some of the future leaders of America are reading and thinking.  Wrong!  :o)  I say once again - WHOA!!  Vitriol!!! Sending them lots of love and prayers for tolerance and patience Kiss
  • Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited March 2010

The Health Care Forums make the little spats on the Stage IV thread seem like throwing sand in the sandbox...protective gear?  A full military riot suit isn't enough...

• pj12
    edited March 2010

With all you guys have said about the HCR thread I think it is a tribute to us here that we have been so civil in our brief discussion here. I guess it is a very sensitive subject.

Carol, forgive me if I asked you the same question before. I ask everyone as I am always seeking reassurance re no chemo.

I saw a funny (to me) piece on the web. The Indian government is mad at China because the chinese are making knock-offs of knock-off drugs and labeling them Made in India!  Who do you trust?

pam 

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

Sealed  I love a good argument.  Heck I love any kind of argument.  For those of you who are interested, here is a link to the official health care bill.  It is a pdf file and if you click on the little pages icon on the left you will be able to scroll quickly through the document to find a specific section.  I have responded to a whole stack of misinformation that was posted on the Health Care thread.  If you are getting horrifying emails from friends and family please check them to the original document.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3590enr.txt.pdf

I am in a state of perpetual p*ssedness over the inaccuracies of our news media.  The only exception I have been able to find is the News Hour on PBS.

• cw89134
    edited March 2010

Pam,

I, too, feel concerned about not having had chemo. I would like to have thrown all I could at "the beast" but that was not to be.

I'll be going for my second post treatment mammogram (The first was last September and was normal) next Wednesday and the apprehension is steadily rising!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2010

You all are sooooooooo funny.  You were warned not to go to the HCR thread and you went anyway LOL.  Don't we always do that?  My congrats to all of you that you, like Pam says, have been totally respectful of each other here and I'm not going to draw this out but just wanted to say THANKS for being you, just a wonderful group of sisters walking the same road.

Wasn't going to post anything tonight - getting ready to turn in early again tonight - allergies kicking my butt.  SE's of Arimidex have nothing on my miseries of hayfever!

Night all.

• cw89134
    edited March 2010

JO-5,

Thanks for letting me know that it does get better over time.

I do have some recent good tumor marker test results that make me feel a bit more confident. My first onc (whom I've dumped) wouldn't do tumor marker tests "unless the patient presents with symptoms". So much for him! Onc #2 did two tumor marker tests (CA 27-29 and CEA) on 2/25 and both were well within normal limits. That makes me feel a little better anyway but still nervous about the mammo.

Thanks again. Smile

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Carole,

Did I mention on this thread that I had my one year out mammogram today? I was nervous too. All was well. I got to see the radiologist after he read the films so no waiting, thank goodness. Don't know when I will have to repeat again... hopefully at least 6 months.

Wishing you a good report too!

My onc does a CA 15-3 plus a lot of blood work every 3 months. I, too, am glad for any tests they will do. I had two CT scans and then had a PET scan in December justified by a lung spot... came back alright so now I am hoping to not have many more scans... too much radiation! I wouldn't want all this radiation to give me cancer! Wink

pam  

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited March 2010

I have not been on awhile, having my exchange this coming Monday and my question is: I am on Arimidex, 5 months April 1, never having radiation or chemo, is it possible to get a  Brazilian hair treatment on my hair so I can manage it more. It is a crazy question, but I am asking it anyway, has anyone tried this treatment while on Arimidex.  I hope no one gets mad at me for asking about a "hair" question

Thank you.

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Being of a "certain age" and living in the south, I don't even know what a Brazillian hair treatment is!

pam 

• ronqt1
    edited March 2010

It takes the frizz out of your hair, less blow drying and easier to handle.

Thank you again. Up here in NJ it is very popular.

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited March 2010

Ronna,

It is popular here also ( Florida)........ I have been on Arimidex since December 08 and have  the Brazilian .........no problems. It is especially good here as we often have so much humidity.

Pat

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010
    You can get any kind of hair treatment you want on your hair while on Armidex. Enjoy! We are not a 'getting mad' sort of group, I don't think, (but we know where to go to find one!!! Wink). I have to say that I will probably die of a heart attack or stroke before one of my mammograms or regular oncology rechecks......as I can just feel my blood pressure going up and up starting about two weeks before the appointment Surprised!! In fact, it's going up just typing about it. I better go eat some (dark) chocolate for medicinal purposes. Ruth
  • ronqt1
    edited March 2010

Pat, thank you so much. I have an appointment tomorrow and I was making myself crazy as to do it or not do it. With my exchange (permanent implant on right side and augmentation on left) on Monday, I will not be able to do much with my arms, and with the hair treatment, it will make my life a little easier. I am doing the 1 day process instead of 3/4 days.

Have a great evening and thanks for your understanding.

Hugs, (And thank you Ruthbru)

• hmm
    edited March 2010

Ruth-- I can so relate!!!!!!!

Pat

• hmm
    edited March 2010

Ronna,

You are very welcome. Wishing you an easy surgery......... and great hair! Wink

Pat