Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,470
    edited March 2010
    I am with patoo when she says the impatience goes more with having come through the BC experience than anything else; I find myself just wanting scream when people whine about: too much paperwork, their snoppy mother-in-law, their kid who won't practice his trombone, blah, blah blah, blah...............I want to just say, "YOU HAVE NO IDEA AT ALL HOW LUCKY YOU ARE THAT THESE ARE THE WORST THINGS YOU HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!" or my sister who is always in a twitter about material things and ends her conversations with, "Things just couldn't be worse." I want to bash her upside the head and say, "OH YES, INDEED, THEY COULD BE WORSE!" (Holy Cow, I believe I'm turning this into a rant! Surprised). Anyway, if you are having other horrible SE, then it could be the arimidex, but if it's just being impatient with stupid people, that's probably because you've come through something that WAS actually really bad!!! All my best! Ruth
  • ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2010

Casaredonda,

If after talking things over with your onc you decide to stop Arimidex, get your estrogen level tested so you have a bench mark.  If after six months off Arimidex your estrogen levels start to rise, you can then decide if you want to go back on Arimidex. 

When you get upset with people wish them well by saying to yourself,

May you be well and happy, safe and free from harm. 

In my experience when I wish happiness to someone who is upsetting me, the upset goes away.  This practice is called Metta.  You can google the word if you wish to know more. 

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited March 2010

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/CDER/ContactCDER/default.htm

Here you go everyone. You, personally, can email the FDA, as I did. If you get a better response than I did, please post, Thanks 

• TNgolfer
    TNgolfer Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2010

Do you'all really think that Astra Zeneca (or any other pharmaceutical company) has the patients' best interests at heart -- or their bottom line?

Do you'll know what lobbyists are?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited March 2010

I met another BC survivor this week whose tumor was In Situ, Stage 0, and her dr. has her taking Arimidex.  Does anyone know of another Stage 0 on Arimidex?  There are several women on another thread I follow who are Stage 0 and they took no treatment at all.  The woman I met, Sandy, had a lumpectomy. 

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

This is how the American Cancer Society defines stage 0:

Stage 0: Tis, N0, M0: This is ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), the earliest form of breast cancer. In DCIS, cancer cells are still within a duct and have not invaded deeper into the surrounding fatty breast tissue.

If her tumor was ER+ then Arimidex will help prevent recurrence since it affects any individual cells that may have migrated to areas outside the duct.

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

How cancer cells move.  http://vimeo.com/8057029

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited March 2010

Wow, that is scarey to learn that some Stage IV sisters were node negative.  I do so appreciate this website for many reasons, one the access to information .  Sunflowers and notself, thanks for the responses. 

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2010

patoo,

Although we are sisters in this fight against the beast, this comment has nothing to do with bc.  I just had to share that my daughter is married to a fine young man who also walks funny because of his CP.  They blessed us with our first grandchild in May of 2008, just weeks before I was diagnosed and they are expecting their second baby in September.  We are thrilled of course.  They have been married almost six years and were dating about seven years when they wed.  She is turning 33 and he will be 35 on his next birthday.  After she was dating him awhile, I started to ask questions because I was a concerned mother who worried about my daughter's future and any children.  I learned  a lot I didn't know about CP and I still marvel that my daughter never even noticed he walked  "different" for the first few weeks she knew him.  They met in a college class.   So I just wanted to tell you that your son has just not met the right girl.........................YET!!!!   I have learned not to sweat the small stuff.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010

goodfight, what an awesome daughter you have; think what a wonderful world it would be if everyone would look at gifts inside of other people, not just the 'package'.

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2010

Thanks ruthbru.   I guess it makes sense then that she chose social work as a profession  :)

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2010

thegoodfight - thanks, I needed that.  I just wish he would expand his horizons to enable meeting young ladies other than on the internet!  His only, I mean only, interest is Disney and he won't allow anyone into his life unless they are fanatical about Disney so it really limits him.  But that could just be a tactic so he doesn't get hurt.  I just continue to pray.  Thanks.

Such good information from everyone about this disease.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010
    Patoo, the orchestra teacher at our school is a Disney Fanatic; she goes on Disney Cruises, wears Disney clothes, has the kids play Disney movie theme songs Smile etc. etc.; she's a little old for your son, but gals like that do exist! Goodfight, your daughter's clients are lucky to have her!!!
  • lava
    lava Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2010

Patoo, never fear.  I worked with a young woman who was a Disney fanatic.  She worked part-time at a Disney store and met the man of her dreams--another Disney fanatic.  Their entire apartment is now decorated with Disney things!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010
    Hey, since we are match making; anyone know a nice girl who LOVES science fiction for my son? Smile
  • patoo
    edited March 2010
    Shucks, my sister's DD does but she's in a serious relationship and preggo at that!  Frown
  • ruthbru
    edited March 2010

No, I don't think we need an already preggo girlfriend; science fiction fan or not. I guess we mom's would always like to arrange things, as we want so much for our kids to be happy; and of course, they need to find their own way. So it's a balancing act. I imagine our mothers felt the same way, and their mothers before them, all through time. Night all! Ruth

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010

No, I don't think we need an already preggo girlfriend; science fiction fan or not. I guess we mom's would always like to arrange things, as we want so much for our kids to be happy; and of course, they need to find their own way. So it's a balancing act. I imagine our mothers felt the same way, and their mothers before them, all through time. Night all! Ruth

• ruthbru
    edited March 2010

(my computer was 'sticking', so with all my clicking, I ended up with the same post three times; thus the deleted posts)

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited March 2010

Hi Ladies. If I may, I'd like to join your thread.  I've been on Tamoxifen and the Bottle O' thread but it turns out I'm a Poor Metabolizer. Had my first Lupron shot last week, will start Arimidex soon but am currently price comparison shopping.

Egad !!!! It's expensive. Does anyone here use the generic, Anastrozole ? (I think it may still only be available if ordered from Canada.)

I'm looking into Pharmacychecker and Canadian pharmacies but there are so many. Looking most closely at JanDrugs.com, medstoreinternational and bigmountaindrugs.com. If anyone has had a great experience with one of them or any other Canadian pharmacy, please let me know. Conversely, any words of warning would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

• patoo
    edited March 2010
    MTG/sunflowers:  the patent supposedly expires June 2010 but AZ has exclusivity until 2012?  according to a post a little ways up the page.  We don't know what that really means.  Perhaps it means AZ can license others to make a generic but control the amount of production and prices?  MTG I would also check out where the online pharmacies you list above may be getting their supplies.  I've heard some may be coming from India(?) and may need to check into their quality.  Just a thought.
  • Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited March 2010

Hi All

Having had my initial go round 10 years ago, chemo was the treatment followed by tamoxifin.  I made the five year mark with no recurrance and statiscally was considered a success.  There was nothing suggested to take but I could go off and consider I beat it.  5 years was the max you could take the drugs. 

How lovely that 10 years down the road - its back and its mets and now I get to take Arimidex - for as long as it works.   I wonder if after the 5 years of Tamoxifin, given the Arimidex at that time for the next 5 years period would have prevented this recurrence?   At least there are treatment options now that can extend my life that are much kinder than chemo. 

Take your Arimidex - the side effects can be dealt with - stage iv is not where you want to end up - it sucks.  Oddly, Arimidex is what is now keeping me alive. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited March 2010

MTG,

I would LOVE to spend less on Arimidex but since this is kind of a life and death situation I am afraid to take anything other than  a licensed drug. As Sunflowers said AstraZenica's Arimidex is available from Canada and is somewhat less expensive. Anastrazole is MUCH less cosly but it is not a true generic. It is a drug that has been used by body builders who take steroids. They take it to combat the feminizing SEs of the steroid drugs.  So obviously it too eliminates estrogen. I am not informed enough to understand if the two drugs are the same. So for now i am sticking with the AZ product. Hope it is doing its job!

pam 

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

The two drugs are the same.

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2010

Pam,

Both of my doctors (BS and onc #2) said no generic for at least the first two years. That is the period at which we're at the highest risk for recurrence.

I got a lot of samples from the BS last year but I'm not sure he has them anymore. The copay thru my Part D drug plan is now $200 for a 90 day supply (It's now considered a "non-preferred brand". Femara is now the "preferred brand" in the plan for this class of drug. Femara's copay for a 90 day supply is $105). I will pay the copay and if/when I get into the infamous Part D "donut hole", I will order the brand (from AZ) from this site:

http://www.planetdrugsdirect.com/

I've ordered other drugs from them (My husband has too) and have found their prices to be very good. Of course, samples are the bestSmile but if I'm unable to get them, I'll use this website.

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Carol,

I only know what I hear on the news but it APPEARS that the new health care plan will eliminate the medicare D  donut hole problem and that will happen right away. At least that's what I heard.

BTW, did you do chemo? My onco is similar to yours but no chemo for me and i still question that decision. I had 36 radiation treatments after lumpectomy. 

pam 

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

Here is a list of things that will happen as soon as the President signs the bill:

As soon as health care passes, the American people will see immediate benefits. The legislation will:

• Prohibit pre-existing condition exclusions for children in all new plans;
    • Provide immediate access to insurance for uninsured Americans who are uninsured because of a pre-existing condition through a temporary high-risk pool;
    • Prohibit dropping people from coverage when they get sick in all individual plans;
    • Lower seniors' prescription drug prices by beginning to close the donut hole;
    • Offer tax credits to small businesses to purchase coverage;
    • Eliminate lifetime limits and restrictive annual limits on benefits in all plans;
    • Require plans to cover an enrollee's dependent children until age 26;
    • Require new plans to cover preventive services and immunizations without cost-sharing;
    • Ensure consumers have access to an effective internal and external appeals process to appeal new insurance plan decisions;
    • Require premium rebates to enrollees from insurers with high administrative expenditures and require public disclosure of the percent of premiums applied to overhead costs.

By enacting these provisions right away, and others over time, we will be able to lower costs for everyone and give all Americans and small businesses more control over their health care choices.

Crossposted on the House Democrat's blog.

Follow Rep. John B. Larson on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/housedemocrats

• pj12
    edited March 2010

notself,

I sincerely want to believe Arimidex is just anastrazole with a patent. Do you have some reference or source to reassure a doubting thomas? It would save me a fortune! My Arimidex is $388.00/30 pills.

pam 

• pj12
    edited March 2010

Jo,

Just like 50 is the "new 40"... 26 is the new 16 :-)  I do think it has to do with young adults who were slow to get through college or went to grad school or graduated and can't find a job.  Times are hard, I guess.

pam 

• ananda8
    edited March 2010

pj12345,

This is what the site says:

Arimidex (anastrozole) is a potent and highly selective non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor, indicated for the following:

Here is the link.  http://www.arimidex.net/