Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2010

I saw my BS for my second post-treatment mammo this morning (He also runs a one stop breast care center). He came into the exam room after the films were developed and said "EXCELLENT". Yes, I thought to myself, I can begin breathing again. He does send the films out to be read by a radiologist and so I asked the tech to fax me the radiologist's report when she gets it. She's faxed me results before so I know she'll come through. I won't be 100% happy until I see it in black and white for myself.

After that, I saw the BS's nurse (who has been great to me through this entire ordeal) and asked her about Arimidex going generic. She said that it will be going generic in June and that is the reason that their samples are "limited". She then went into her storage room and came out with 10 weeks of samples! Smile

I hope she's right about the June date. She seemed quite certain about it.

• TNgolfer
    TNgolfer Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2010

Jo,

"Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillin, does address estrogen specifically in a couple of different spots.  I also read, "The Breast Cancer Prevention Plan" by Dr. Edward J. Conley, "Breast Cancer Beyond Convention" by Tagliaferri (contains some great nutrition information), and "Life Over Cancer" by Keith Block, MD,  I found all of them really informative.  Also found an article on line "Natural Aromatase Inhibitors are Best Prevention of Breast Cancer in Women".  This article is easy to understand and contains a list of whole foods that contain AI's. 

I found all of this material easy to understand and very logical.  Even if their claims are wrong, it is good sound advice.  (Read another book, "The cancer prevention diet" but wasn't as convinced about this one -- it took the macrobiotic approach and seemed to contradict some of what I read in other books).

Happy reading - let me know what you think.  I'm also going to try and understand exactly how Arimidex works.  (Won't that be a fun project!)

Marianne

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010

I know this topic is Arimidex, but while we are discussing estrogen, what do ya'll know about vagifem (for vaginal dryness)-I did post on another thread, but not too much activity. GYN  says it's ok, but it's still estrogen. Any thoughts or experience?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,470
    edited April 2010

Some ladies on the Mojo thread swear by coconut oil; haven't tried it, but it sounded interesting.....

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited April 2010

Been MIA for a while and was doing some catch up reading...everyone has been so busy reading and posting to keep us all up on the latest. Thanks gals. The brocolli is interesting. I have a great recipe for marinated broc that is a real crowd pleaser and very easy...if anyone wants it pm me.

Monday I have my one year mammo...I can admit I am a little on edge. i then go back to Seattle to see the crew there and have my   Dexa scan and vit D count. I continue to have some major se pain and of course hot flashes and no sleep. I have tried many meds and seem to have problems with them and have stopped all but the vit supplementss. Whoever told me to try tonic water for the muscle pain...I love you with all my heart,what a relief. I found it in a sugar free the other day. So i am golden in that department. I tried Gabapentin (a siezure and muscle med) for a couple of weeks...it stopped my hot flashes completely and I slept like a baby,only problem was that the end of the second week I started to have the racing heart beat and I had to go off of it. I am hoping that maybe there will be something else for me to try.

Blessings to all....you are in my prayers always.

Teresa

• jakhope
    jakhope Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2010

Hello all- I am about to start Arimidex and am wondering if it is better to take it in the morning or evening. I have been going through a lot lately, having lost my mother and having my husband in and out of the hospital. I have  had a hard time sleeping some nights and am afraid adding another medication is going to add to my problem. Any suggestions on the best timing? Do any of you taking this still drink wine or any alcohol? I don't want to give up my wine!  

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

You can take it whenever works best for you. I have an occasional glass or two of wine (like a couple times a month); and then REALLY enjoy them. Teresa, I would love the brocoli recipe; if enough others would like it, maybe it would be quicker for you to post it. Anyone else? 

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2010

Hi Teresa~ I take the arimidex in the moring.  Try it and see what works for you.  Sorry you have to go through all that you are with losing your mom and your hubby not feeling well.  Drinking ~ I think I have to limit mine because my liver seems to be sensitive right now...I think from the chemo. I'm with you I enjoy a glass of wine now and then.  I would love the receipe for the brocoli!! thank you

warmly,

Balsie~

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited April 2010

Hello All, I saw a new ONC yesterday and he and his NP both thought Arimidex is going generic "in the spring." I think he means June. I did tell him that I emailed the FDA and they said it wouldn't be generic until 2012 as no one has applied to make the generic. He was stunned by this info.  He asked me if I planned on continuing taking it due to the high cost (my first refil of this yr will be at 100% cost due to my not hitting my deductible yet....I will pay $1123 for a 90 day supply) and I said I would just have to cough up the money.  I wish there was some news that is specific about the generic.  We all seem to have the same thought but I would love to see it in black and white. I have enough Arimidex until June.....how odd. I usually fill my meds early (I have to use the mail away that is part of my health ins) but I am waiting on this one! Sue

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2010

jakhope, I started on Arimidex in Jan this year and since I have coffee every morning, my little white pills are right there and that's when I take it....I take a new {Citracal that includes Calcium + D plus Bone Density Builder "Genistein" says on bottle Clinically proven to Significantly Increase bone density up to 5%}.... I hope it does help since my bone scan says I am osteopenia.....

For all interested in healthier ways to prepare and cook foods here is a wonderful website I found .....WHFoods.org...........This website has changed the way I cook foods to get the most nutritional benefit also gives a full nutrient value to foods....

I now do what is called a Healthy Sauteing for most vegetables..like broccoli and cabbages....

To "Healthy Sauté", heat a few tablespoons of broth in a stainless steel skillet. When the broth begins to steam, add the asparagus, brocolli, cabbage or your choice and sauté for about 3-5 minutes depending on the vegetable...(I had always over cooked my veges and that deletes the health benefits.)

There is the healthy steam and the healthy broil (which I use to cook all fish/meats)...Just a wonderful free imformative website....

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited April 2010

Wouldn't you think the drug reps would keep the physicians informed about Arimidex?  Surely if a generic becomes available someone's insurance provider will start supplying it; I mean someone with an insurance drug plan. Heads up, ladies!  I was holding my breath when i picked up my last RX, I had heard so much about the price going up. But mine held at $388.00/30 pills. Who would have thought I would ever say that in a positive way?

Somanywomen, Thanks for the healthy cooking suggestions. Always trying to do better. 

pam 

• sue-61
    edited April 2010

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/docs/patexclnew.cfm?Appl_No=020541&Product_No=001&table1=OB_R

I hope this link works. I went to  the FDA website and it looks DIRE for us ladies as there is some kind of exclusivity until June 2012.......

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited April 2010

A few weeks ago my oncologist told me it WAS going generic in June ( we shall see ). She said initially the price may not drop that much for about six months....... then it would and could even end up on one of those $4 drug lists ( at Target, Wal-Mart etc.) eventually. Again....we shall see.

Teresa-- Would like to have the recipe too. Thanks.

Pat

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited April 2010

Sue-- That is not good news......... so unfair that they do this!

Pat

• sue-61
    edited April 2010

Pat, I agree that if this is true, it is unfair and AZ should be ashamed of themselves. It's all about the money.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited April 2010

somanywomen, be careful of the genistein.  You said this:

"I take a new {Citracal that includes Calcium + D plus Bone Density Builder "Genistein" says on bottle Clinically proven to Significantly Increase bone density up to 5%}.... I hope it does help since my bone scan says I am osteopenia....."

I am also osteopenic, so my onco sent me to the "Osteoporosis Clinic" at my cancer center.  It was a day-long visit that included 2 hours of nutritional advice (and a free lunch).  One of the supplements the nutritionist mentioned was "Fosteum", which is genistein.  Apparently, genistein is a concentrated form of a plant estrogen that's found in soybeans,  Fosteum is a brand-name form of genistein that's combined with Vitamin D, zinc, and some other stuff.  The nutritionist said those of us in the audience who'd been diagnosed with breast cancer should not take Fosteum/genistein.

I am looking at the handout we were given at that nutrition session.  It says genistein "can increase bone density in the hip and the spine in post-menopausal women with osteopenia and osteoporosis"; and "can lower the number and severity of ... hot flashes."

But, the very first thing on the list of "disadvantages" of Fosteum/genistein is, "You should not take Fosteum if you have had cancer of the breast or other reproductive organs such as the uterus or ovaries."  One of the pharmaceutical websites I just checked (http://www.drugs.com/cdi/fosteum.html) says, "Do NOT use Fosteum if you or anyone in your family has or has had cancer of the breast or reproductive organs."  Even the prescribing information provided by the company that markets Fosteum says this (http://www.fosteum.com/):

"Patients with Cancer:

Since no studies have been done in these populations, as a precaution, FOSTEUM is
    contraindicated for patients with a history of cancer of the breast or reproductive organs and should be used with caution by women who have a history of breast or reproductive cancer in first degree female relatives."

The reason, of course, is because genistein is estrogenic.  Even though it's a plant estrogen, it has pharmacologic (physiologic) activity in human cells:  it decreases bone loss and decreases hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause. 

So, be very careful of that stuff, and with anything else that can increase the estrogen-like activity in your body.  IMHO, when we're trying to suppress that last little bit of estrogen/estradiol by taking Arimidex or some other AI, adding an estrogenic compound to the mix is counter-productive.

otter

• pj12
    edited April 2010

I started taking an aspirin HS when I first heard this and find it helps me sleep better... good SE! And such a simple thing to do for a big result.

So obviously, for this study they measured circulating estradiol. So why can't we get our estrogen levels tested to see what arimidex is doing for us? Or even to see if we need arimidex at all?

Good info about supplements.

pam 

• lava
    lava Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2010

Jo-5 and all,  At Johns Hopkins, they are doing a study with BC patients where they give them Rivival Soy shakes in their cancer center.  Something about the soy blocking the estrogen receptors, I think.  The point is that, at this point, just about everything about cancer is educated guesswork.

• lava
    lava Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2010

Jo, have you ever asked your doctors WHY they won't test your estrogen level?  Maybe they have a valid reason?  I don't know.  Just asking...

Maybe they wouldn't know how to interpret the result?  Maybe the result wouldn't be meaningful?  I have no idea.  Just asking...

I agree with the anti-inflammatory idea.  Research is finding out that many, many diseases are related to inflammation.  I'm thinking Andrew Weil's Anti-inflammatory Diet might be useful.  Lots of fruit, vegetables, and try to eliminate the "white" stuff (like sugar, flour), I think. 

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited April 2010

AstaZeneca's patent expires in June.  There is no definitive answer whether it will be allowed to expire or it will be renewed.  If it is allowed to expire, a generic can be produced.  There is a thread on here all about it someplace. 

• somanywomen
    edited April 2010

otter...Thank you for that great info.....Sometimes we just can't win.....I thought this would help to prevent bone loss and to find out it may in fact promote cancer is simply a catch 22.....It's a good thing I keep my Walmart reciepts for I will be taking this in and exchange it, I'm taking no chances, esp., since it has to do with estrogen and I am trying to block that such stuff from my body....thank you......

I just noticed that on the bottle it reads "If you are pregnant, nursing, or have a history of cancer, consult your doctor before use"....

• chapstickmom
    chapstickmom Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2010

Started Arimidex yesterday and woke up soaking wet at 5 am. Not amused.

Was shopping in Kohl's at noon and got another flash and thought I would pass out right there.

My husband asked why I bought so many pairs of panties. I told him I bought what I had in my hands as I just had to get out of the store ! 

I haven't had a hot flash since 2007 so I know this is the Arimidex. I thought I wouldn't have side effects for awhile. 

Can I really be having side effects so soon ? 

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

Seems pretty quick.......I don't know about after one pill, but I had pretty noticeable hot flashes at first; I bought a hand fan for sitting around, a tower fan for my desk at work, got rid of all my sweaters, sat around with ice (or cold pop cans) on my wrists (cools off the whole body) etc. etc. They did level off after a couple months, and are now pretty negligible. Fun, huh?!!!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2010

Chap, I also started having the hot flashes, seems it was really early on my start of Arimidex.  That was a year ago.  They are all but gone now - maybe once or twice a week I may get a warm flush that lasts only seconds.  Hang in there.

• pj12
    edited April 2010

After 9 months I still have mild hot flashes but nothing like in the beginning. And I seem to be gradually less stiff. Two fingers still hurt but I can live with that.

Good luck, Chap! 

• somanywomen
    edited April 2010

I started Arimidex 2 1/2 months ago and thought the hot flashes would start (although I never had  them before and have been post menopausal for about 6 years) well I still have not had one, I am beginning to wonder if the Arimidex is working on me.....

• pj12
    edited April 2010

somanywomen:

I have wondered if the percentage of ER+ has anything to do with the effectiveness of the drug; the higher your ER+ number the greater the side effects.

On the other hand, if you did not experience hot flashes during natural menopause  it make sense you would not now. If that is the case, lucky you :)

I did see a report of a  British study that said the greater the SEs, the better the drug was working BUT follow up research proved that was NOT true.

What is your ER+%?  Wish we could all get our circulating estradiol measured.

pam 

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

I think some of it is just how your own body reacts to a medication. Some people feel rotten on various antibiotics, but that doesn't mean they aren't killing the germs. (I  don't have bad SE, so that's the theory I'm going with Smile.) A tip for new gals, I bought one of those weekly pills boxes and put one in for each day so that I don't have to remember if I took it already or not......since that can be a problem for me.......

• imbell
    imbell Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2010

Had been on Arimidex for 2 1/2 years. No SE.  BUT it didn't work.

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010

somanywoman, my experience is almost identicial to yours.  Started the same time frame, no hot flashes, was not a problem before-hopefully we are just lucky.  I was > 90% ER+.