Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2010

nmi.....My surgery path said 90% ER+.....it does make us even more alike....Wow, I wonder if that does have any correlation to hot flashes and se's......I have no noticible se's so far (found me some wood to knock on) don't want to take any chances.....My mom and older sister always had/have major hot flashes, my younger sister and I did not.....strange, huh???

immarybell, sorry it did not work for you......

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2010

Would love the reciepe too!!

Hot flashes will slow down eventually. Been on since Jan 09. Just drink plenty of water. Sweets seem to bring some of mine on. Did notice if I drink sweet wine before bed that does it too. Ibuprofen in the am and pm help with the finger stiffness.

• lava
    lava Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2010

Jo, you ask great questions regarding estrogen levels.  I'm thinking most of the "authorities" would have to answer, "I don't know." to most of your questions.  Unfortunately, I think much more is unknown about BC than is known.  :(((

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2010

editing because I was a page back and somany got excellent responses about no hot flashes and whether it's working.

• TNgolfer
    TNgolfer Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2010

immarybell,

how do you know it didn't work?  based on what?  Did you have a recurrence?  Or do they test the effectiveness of Arimidex via estrogen levels or something else I don't know about?

• chapstickmom
    chapstickmom Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2010

I decided to cut the Arimidex in half and take a half dose for a couple weeks and see if that will help with the hot flashes and drenching. Seems weird that everyone gets the same dose and I am only 5 feet tall so I am guessing that is why I am having the hot flashes so soon. Don't know just guessing. We will see. 

Thanks for all the advice. 

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited April 2010

Hi guys, got a question. I am on Arimidex and have posted quite a few times.

Started the Arimidex Dec 1, 09, Started with the hot flashes and night sweating almost immediately.  Now I have problems with severe stiffness in my left wrist and it is moving to my fingues. I purchased a carpel tunnell brace for left hand. There are times when I do not wear it I can't even move my wrist/hand. The pain is out of control. My right hand is not as bad, (at least not yet).

I get my hot flashes at least 4 times a day, and then get cold.

I am also 6 days post Exchange so I am on oxycontin half of the time right now and I still feel the pain in my left wrist. Will the stiffness subside at all?

Now here is the stupid question. I have about 4 weeks of unemployment left and have diligently been looking for a job but there are no jobs. I am 61 years of age so could this nonmovement of hand/wrist be used to try and get Social Security Disability? It is even getting difficult to type.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you.

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2010

I'd go for the disability if you could. My fingers are stiff in the mornings but work themselves loose during the morning. I'd ask the DR about it.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited April 2010

I have seen this subject discussed on here but since I was not considering it I can't remember! I do think there is a waiting period involved.

But I wanted to say I share your pain! My two smallest fingers on my left hand are very sore, stiff and tender. Worse at night and in the AM. The rest of my fingers and hands are fine, thank goodness. If they all hurt as much I would be hollering! It is my biggest Arimidex complaint and has been the same since soon after I began the drug in June 09.

Good luck.

pam 

• patoo
    edited April 2010

I also started having wrist pain (right hand) and started wearing the carpal tunnel brace.  I'm on the computer all day at work (then on it here at night).  I have a soft one for daytime so I can type  with it but at night I had a different one that has less flexibility.  After wearing it faithfully for a few weeks, day and night, the pain eased.  I don't wear it at all now during the day but occasionally I will put the one one at night when I feel even a little discomfort.  So this is an SE that has more or less also gone away for me. 

My hot flashes lasted several months (I've been on for almost 14 months) but have subsided now.  Occasionally get a warm flush that lasts a few seconds only.

I think Pam is right that there may be a waiting period for SSDI and I know they make you jump through hoops, even with a DR recommendation but it can't hurt to apply for it. 

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited April 2010

Go to a lawyer who specialized in Disability claims.  Interview a couple of them.  They will take a portion of the accumulated lump sum that you will get.  Your claim period begins as soon as you file the paper work and could take 6 mo. to a year to process.  When you are awarded disability you will receive back payments to the date of your claim.  The lawyer usually takes 1/3 of this lump amount.

The above is my understanding based on a friend who is going through the process now.

• patoo
    edited April 2010

Amazing how someone always comes along who has information someone else needs.  That's good info for all of us to know - thanks Notself.

• ronqt1
    edited April 2010

Hi All,

Pam, Joy, Notself, Patoo,

Thank you all so much for the latest info re: SSDI and side effects info re: Arimidex.

Will be back on board tomorow.

Good night.

• chapstickmom
    edited April 2010

Estradiol level

Does anyone know how far down Arimidex is supposed to decrease the estradiol level ? Mine was 54 before starting Arimidex. The Quest reference says that the average for postmenopausal women should be at less than 32.

Any idea what level the docs want us to get to with Arimidex ?

tx. 

• pj12
    edited April 2010

We have been complaining that we cannot get our doctors to test our circulating estradiol levels! 

pam 

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited April 2010

Here's what my favorite drug website "Rx List" says about suppression of estradiol by Arimidex:  http://www.rxlist.com/arimidex-drug.htm#

++++++++++Begin quote++++++++++++++++++++++

"Mean serum concentrations of estradiol were evaluated in multiple daily dosing trials with 0.5, 1, 3, 5, and 10 mg of Arimidex in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer. Clinically significant suppression of serum estradiol was seen with all doses. Doses of 1 mg and higher resulted in suppression of mean serum concentrations of estradiol to the lower limit of detection (3.7 pmol/L). The recommended daily dose, Arimidex 1 mg, reduced estradiol by approximately 70% within 24 hours and by approximately 80% after 14 days of daily dosing. Suppression of serum estradiol was maintained for up to 6 days after cessation of daily dosing with ARIMIDEX 1 mg.

The effect of Arimidex in premenopausal women with early or advanced breast cancer has not been studied. Because aromatization of adrenal androgens is not a significant source of estradiol in premenopausal women, Arimidex would not be expected to lower estradiol levels in premenopausal women."

++++++++++++End quote++++++++++++++++

Bottom line:  Arimidex suppresses estradiol to levels that are (nearly) undetectable with current analytical methods.  (Note that the "conventional/standard" methods of measuring estradiol can't detect amounts nearly that low.  From what I've read, a special method that's extraordinarily sensitive must be used to measure estradiol that's down in the single-digit-picomolar range, like we'd have if we were on Arimidex.)

Some studies have shown that Femara might suppress estradiol even farther.

otter

• pj12
    edited April 2010

Thank you, Otter. I always learn something from your posts.

pam 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,470
    edited April 2010

Thanks Otter!

• pj12
    edited April 2010

Maybe it means that it would take 3 years after stopping Arimidex for estrogen levels to rise enough to nourish cancer cell growth. Or maybe it means it would take 3 years for cancer cells to form up in to new scannable tumors. 

But it probably means that the incidence of recurrence started to go up after the 3 year mark and they have no idea why. It's just the statistics without any explanation I'm afraid. :-(

pam 

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2010

I have been taking arimidex since Jan 07....side effects just keep getting worse with time...

I don't care as long as it keeps the bc away! Hot flashes..not too bad. Joint pain is the worst. I had wrist surgery last year and my ortho surgeon felt it had to do with the arimidex. Now I have stiff fingers on the right hand..most of the day. My middle does weird movment..what is a trigger finger?  My toes, especially left foot ache. Hip pain..can't get rid of it and I am stiff all over expecially after sitting for too long...gosh I am like an old lady...hey, as long as it keeps the cancer away!!

• ronqt1
    edited April 2010

JO-5 -

That is very encouraging, as I sit here feeling the joint pain traveleing to my foot from my wrist, from my knees, etc. Guess we all have to hang in. Better than alternative.

Have a great day!

• patoo
    edited April 2010
    So, twin (JO), are you online planning your snow skiing trip for next winter?  Let me know when and where so I can come watch ya!
  • chapstickmom
    edited April 2010

Thanks very much. I couldn't find this info anywhere.

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited April 2010

Why would any sane person tie boards to her feet and throw her body down a mountain?   

• TNgolfer
    TNgolfer Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2010

in the cold, no less.....

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010

Ya'll are too funny!!!!

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2010

for my achy joints and stiffness I take MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin (? spelling on the last 2!)  If I skip a few days I really notice it and the rice crispy symdrome is back (snap, crackle, pop...ouch!)  I don't know why or how they work, but they help me.

Had my 4th absessed tooth since starting arimdex and the dentist had to  pull this one yesterday. I will stick with the arimidex until the end of January, 2011.  I want to do all I can do to keep away a recurrance.  But I feel I still have a right to complain...don't I ladies?

Am getting really excited about our planned trip to Las Vegas on Thursday!! we are celebrating our 40th anniversary and plan to have a great time and sure hope to bring home more money than what we left with!

gentle hugs

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

Happy Anniversary! Viva Las Vegas!

• patoo
    edited April 2010

Suzie, yes, you go ahead and complain.  That's what this thread is for - to complain, to give and get info, to offer and receive support. 

I need to get back on board with taking my glucosamine/chondroitin daily.  I take it sporadically and have been having more issues with my right hip again.  I know it's because I need to make sure I take it everyday. 

Have fun in Vegas.  Win enough to treat us all to a week at a spa in Mexico, okay?  Not Mexico - okay, we'll settle for Belize or Aruba.  Or maybe Spain!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010
    If you win the money, you get to pick the spot! I'll be glad to show up anywhere Smile!