Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

~* The Waiting Room *~

Options

I have noticed there is always someone on the board who is waiting for results of a various scan or test. We all know how difficult the waiting for reslults can be! There is a lot of anxiety that comes along with this.I like to be able to follow up with people, but sometimes it is very hard to keep track of everyone and sometimes these individuals go MIA. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for those of us who are well....in the Waiting Room.

Soooo.... Have a pain, and waiting for your bone scan results? Having a PET scan or MRI? Mammogram? Ultrasound?

This is the place to be for support and encouragment. So grab a seat, pick up a magazine or have a cup of coffee....Smile

Comments

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2009
    Options

So, I'm not sure if I'm still waiting or not. April 24th I had a pelvic and abdominal US at my request. I wanted this so I can keep track of changes of my uterus ect. because I am on Tamoxifen. The US tech said my onc would have my results in 4 business days.

Its way past that, and have heard nothing. So I am assuming no news is good news. but still I'm waiting for the phone to ring..*sigh*

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    edited May 2009
    Options

If your medical team is like mine, they call you at the beginning of all of this with everything, but later in the process, not so diligent. After a clean mammo and ultrasound in January, I then had an MRI (that's how my BS does it.) She never did call, and I assumed everything was OK. I finally had to ask my onc weeks later, and all was well. She was really good about calling when I was first having tests last year.

I just got my insurance preauthorization for a PET/CT (onc's standard operating procedure after finishing Herceptin), so I'll be back. Stock up on some mindless yet fascinating gossip magazines like the National Enquirer.

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hmmmm..

I see your point sue. I had my mammogram on my healthy breast this past October and heard nothing either. When I went in a couple of weeks later for my Herceptin, my onc said it was ok. Do you think I should call and ask? They are usually pretty good about this stuff. If my onc ordered the US's would my family doc get a copy of the results too?

I want to know...but I don't..lol

• bbmom
    bbmom Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2009
    Options

lexislove,

If I want another dr other than the one that ordered a test to get results, I usually have to let the tech doing the test know.

I'm not waiting on results yet, but I'm waiting to have a test. I've been having pain in my lower back and tailbone for about a month. I went for my checkup today and have been scheduled for a bone scan next Thursday. My onc also found  a spot on my left breast that he felt needed a follow up  by a breast surgeon. So.......next week I have an appt with the surgeon on Tuesday, a scan on Thursday and then an appt the following Monday for my results.

I've never had a bone scan before so if anyody wants to let me know what to expect, I'd appreciate it. Is it a tunnel like an MRI?

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi bbmom..

I have had a bone scan. They will inject you with radioactive dye first.Then you will come back 1/2 hour later. I'm trying to remember exactly. You have to stay really still and its like being in a tunel. The whole thing took about 1/2 hour.

Sorry about your pain and new lump. Was this lump discovered on the cancer breast? Did you have a mastectomy or lumpectomy?

So far, its us two in the waiting room next week Frown

• bbmom
    edited May 2009
    Options

I had bilateral mast. The lump is on the breast that was removed profi. I know I have some scar tissue but the onc seemed to feel something a little different so he wants me to have it checked. I have an appt for the injection at 10 and then I have to be back for the scan at 12:30. I was hoping it wouldn't be like the MRI. I have a little problem with claustrophobia. I've done OK in the past, but the older I get the harder it gets to have these done.

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

I hear ya on the claustrophobia. Maybe take Ativan or something before the appt. I had to take one for my mammogram. I thought I'd be ok, but 2 days before I was a mess! Scanxiety....

Lets hope/pray for b9 !!!!  And check back in!

• Traci-----TripNeg
    Traci-----TripNeg Member Posts: 567
    edited May 2009
    Options

Great title for a thread!

Just made my appt for my scan (4 months late) for 5/18. Let the Scanxiety begin. Oh wait, that started 4 months before I made the appt.

(((hugs)))

Traci

• angeljoy
    angeljoy Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2009
    Options

I find myself in the waiting room again too!  Waiting to have a biopsy next Tues.  Then waiting some more of course for the results. I went in for a checkup with my surgeon on Wed.  She felt a lump in what I guess is my lower armpit, but very close to my mastectomy scar.  Sent me for an ultrasound.  Radiologist says she thinks it's a lymph node that should be biopsied.  Great.  I already had six positive lymph nodes 18 months ago.  Can't shake the feeling that if it's a lymph node, of course it will be cancerous! 

I had a bone scan once.  I don't think I was in a tube like an MRI.  I'm remembering a thing that moved over me, up and down my body.

Hugs and good wishes to everyone waiting,

Angela

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Thats right Angela, I was thinking CT scan.

The bone scan is not being in a tunnel.You are free but there is a part of the machine that moves up and down....very..very slowly!

Traci, good luck on the 18th. Will this scanxiety ever get easier?! 

Angela, I think biopsy's have to be one of the worst when it comes to anxiety!!! Deep breath....Nothing is cancer untill the doc says so...hoping B9 for you too!

Keep us updated

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    edited May 2009
    Options

Looks like the waiting room is going to be a very busy place. Keep the coffee pot full and the magazine subscriptions current.

Lexi, yes, I'd call for your results. My onc's NP calls patients with results - maybe there's someone like that in the office you could talk to. She called me at work one time about tumor markers - scared the crap out of me since I wasn't able to get ahold of her for most of the day - but she was just calling to tell me that they had dropped.

Peace (yeah, right) to everybody here waiting for tests and results. My order for my PET/CT was waiting for me when I got home from school today (sigh).

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited May 2009
    Options

Lexi, what a great idea!

I'm waiting to see my surgical onc at the end of the month to schedule b/l mx.  I'm hoping recon will be possible with the rads damage I have to both sides.  Yep, this is round 3 for me.  First time Stage IIb IDC Triple Neg, second time 4.5 yrs later Stage 0 DCIS mildly positive.  All this 'experience' did give me a little more patience ... but not that much ..lol

Good luck to all awaiting results, and calm patience for those waiting to schedule tests.

Adding something just a little stronger to my coffee... lol

Blu   

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Welcome Blulze!

3rd time...WOW! My patience would be non-existant by now. I still have my tissue expander in place and I have had radiation.My exchange is this Fall,I'll be in the surgery room then, . I handled rads really well and my PS said that I should be ok. Plus, by that time I would have had my tissue expander in place for 1.5 years! I pray for good results!

Maybe some Kaluha for your morning coffee? Tongue out

check in and let us know how you are doing..

• WLL
    WLL Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2009
    Options

Back in the waiting room, I had a CTscan and they found a cyst on my ovaries, and also some enlarged nodes. The oncologist wants me to have a Pet scan and an ultrasound, and then to see a gynocologists. Very worried.

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Geesh! WLL....sorry about your scanxiety. Positive thoughts for your scans!

I know that a lot of cysts are B9 and enlarged nodes can mean many things, that being said, we still think the worse. Plus all the extra Dr's appointments.....It seems never ending! Let us know your scan dates so we can keep up on you.

Big hug...

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Morning BUMP.....

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited May 2009
    Options

I am going to the doctor on Wednesday, May 13th to finally get the results of a CT scan I had 3 weeks ago! I wondered if they would call me if anything was abnormal, but now I don't know. They could have been lining up appointments....see how we think the worst?

I am finally seeing a urologist today who specializes in kidney stones. Maybe they'll finally do something! I called and left messages as I had waited 3 months for the appointment for June 9th and then I got a letter on Friday saying they had to change is to July 8th!!! WTF

• angeljoy
    edited May 2009
    Options

I had my biopsy done on my lymph node yesterday.  I should have results tomorrow or Friday.  They did an ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration instead of the core needle biopsy I expected.  Less invasive, the radiologist said.  It certainly was less painful, now I just hope it's accurate.

Thinking good thoughts for all of you!

Angela

• barbe1958
    edited May 2009
    Options

Saw the urologist on Monday. He said if he was going by the ultrasound, he'd go in and take the stone out as it was large. But then he looked up my CT scan and said it didn't even mention a stone so he wasn't worried! Now I'm on a wait and see......sigh.

CT scan results today.... 

• tshockley
    tshockley Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options

I saw my oncologist for my 6 month check and again told him about cramping I have in my rib areas that is getting progressively worse when I don't take muscle relaxers.  He sent me for an x-ray.  The x-ray showed a "shadow", so I had a CT scan yesterday.  Now.......waiting......

I have had this problem since just after radiation and chemo.  Always felt funny around my right rib, but never felt anything.

I am so nervous!

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hello everyone who is waiting...! Smile

Barbe..finally your CT results! Hopeing good for you Kidney stones can be very painful, I hope yours are behaving.

Angel, still hoping for B9 for you do let us know either way.

Hopefor30, "suspicious" for thyroid cancer but not definitive? Oh geesh,talk about anxiety.A simple yes or no would have done huh?

tshockley, I have similar pain in that area here and there. All started after radiation. Your discomfort could easily be related to rads. Good that your onc is being thorough. Ahhhh, radiation, the gift that keeps on giving.Undecided

Update on myself, I still have not heard from my oncs office regarding my US of my pelvic are and abdomen. This was done on April 24 th. I should call and ask if everything is ok, but I just can't bring myself to it!!!! ..lol. I'm planning on a mini getaway with my husband this weekend, no kiddies just us 2,  don't want to jinx our weekend!  I was thinking to phone when I get back. Here's STILL hoping no news is good news!

• bbmom
    edited May 2009
    Options

Lexislove, I hope you and your husband have a wonderful weekend. Surely you're right, no news is good news.

I had a needle biopsy last night (4:15 appt turned into a 6:30 one). I was told the results should be available next Tuesday. I have a bone scan scheduled for tomorrow and am supposed to get results for that on Monday. So, I guess I'm waiting and waiting to wait?

Hopefor30, I've always found it a little more difficult to wait for a plan then the actual results.

Wishing everyone a little less stress and good results for whatever it is you're waiting on.

God Bless!

• barbe1958
    edited May 2009
    Options

My CT was clear! Woo hoo! Now just to get my kidney stone dealt with. I have to get an ultrasound at the hospital this time, not a clinic. Then back to the doc.

• lexislove
    edited May 2009
    Options

Yeahh Barb! One down one more to go! Good news!

2tzus, I hope your appointment has brought good news and calmed your anxiety. Please check back to let us know how you are. Speaking of carpets, I need mine done badly....ughh more $$.

bbmom, try to enjoy your weekend regardless of the results comin up next week. Like I've said before, its good that you doc is being thorough!

• angeljoy
    edited May 2009
    Options

Barbe, Congrats on your CT...great news!

Hang in there everyone!

Angela

• Keryl
    Keryl Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2009
    Options

Well, this week was my one year from DX. I had my first mammo on my remaining breast last week - results were fine - BUT the reason I am writing is -- the waiting room....In the waiting room at the health center, there are dozens of women waiting.... most are there for their annual, reading People magazine and checking their watch.  So in I come for my appt. and I am noticably different - my hair is stuble. It is clear I had chemo. They look up and their eyes got so big - I kept catching a few looking at me. I wanted to say, yep, I had cancer and it really does happen....

The nurse called my name and I felt them all watching me as I walked in.  It was so weird. 

• barbe1958
    edited May 2009
    Options

2tzus, the cyst area can fill up immediately after aspiration. I had one do that years ago. Very frustrating! The fluid she aspirated would have been a colour of some sort, even if clear. She would have an idea of the outcome based on the colour. That's why she can seem confident. Of course pathology is the gold standard.... [[[[[[[[[[ hugs ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

• kim40
    kim40 Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2009
    Options

This is a great thread!

I guess I'm in the waiting room too!  I have an appt this afternoon with gyno about getting my ovaries removed - hopefully they won't make me wait too long. 

Barbe - Glad to hear the CT was clear - what a relief!

Lexi - Great idea for a forum!!

• angeljoy
    edited May 2009
    Options

The biopsy on my lymph node was B9!  Great news, right?  So why do I still feel so scared?  I don't trust my body, or my lymph nodes, or least of all cancer.  They've all betrayed me before.  I called my breast surgeon, hoping to get some reassurance and she's taking some time off...until August! Good for her, but I'm suprised she didn't mention she'd be on leave when I was in last week and she found this suspicious lump. They gave me to another surgeon, who said they'd be glad to remove it if it makes me feel better.  I'm thinking of calling my oncologist and asking him some questions.  I just don't know how I can just merrily go on with my life with this lump in my armpit so close to where my ILC and my other 6 cancerous lymph nodes were. 

Has anyone else felt this way?  Has anyone else had a B9 something or other that they just kept an eye on?  More importantly, has anyone had this happen and then had cancer turn up later?

Thanks to everyone for your kind support. I'm praying for all of you still waiting for results.

Angela

• lovinmomma
    lovinmomma Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2009
    Options

I am sitting in the waitimg room also. Path results.....nodes, breast, ovaries and uterus!!!!