Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

~* The Waiting Room *~

Options

Comments

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited June 2009
    Options

fortunate 1, thinkin about you and sending b9 thoughts. I have my 3 month check on July 6 and the anxiety has hit hard. I hate this stuff.

• fortunate1
    fortunate1 Member Posts: 467
    edited June 2009
    Options

You are all so sweet, thank you for the good thoughts. 

• bettelou68
    bettelou68 Member Posts: 151
    edited June 2009
    Options

HI!

I just got to the waiting room. PET scan tomorrow morning at 11:45 and then a follow up with my oncologist on July 1 to learn the results.. A CT scan last week showed a lesion in my left lung (BC side) and some enlarged lymph glands. I was diagnosed with IBC last summer and just finished rads a month ago. Started Femara the day after that. I thought I could finally breathe a sigh of relief, but apparently not yet.

My prayers are with all who will have tests, that the reports will come back showing no evidence of disease.

Bette 

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

I got a call from the radiologist doc who had been so straightforward with me before. Once again the straight news, but this time GOOD news-- 

IT IS JUST SCAR TISSUE!!!    

I'm not going to leave the waiting room, though. I care a lot about you all. You are are wonderful, supportive and above all understanding. I'll hang out with extra magazines, coffee and maybe a punching bag, and hope to be as useful to you as you have been to me.

• mmm5
    mmm5 Member Posts: 797
    edited June 2009
    Options

Blessings Blessings Fortunate-

So happy for you I know that feeling of relief, just relish in it today and enjoy every minute.

• Sandygirl
    Sandygirl Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2009
    Options

I was suppose to start Tam 6 weeks ago, but Liver studies were elevated.  Found out Thursday they were still elevated.  My last chemo was 1-23.  I need a liver US on Tuesday.  I know what they are looking for, I am scared out of my mind but will not show this to anyone else.  That is why I am here.  I just can't bring myself to discuss this with my husband.

• mmm5
    edited June 2009
    Options

Sandygirl

I work in diagnostics and know that liver enzymes can be elevated for so many things, what supplement do you take? was it your alt or ast? Are you on any other prescriptions? Don't get too concerned unless they are triple normal level or if you have other symptoms as well. I had high liver enzymes for 3 months, one time I had 2 glasses of wine the nght before blood draw and they were double normal the next day.

Mine have now returned to normal, just know that this is a sign of many things its just that we automatically attatch every symptom to BC and that sucks for us all.

• Sandygirl
    Sandygirl Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2009
    Options

Thanks mmm5 my AST was 52 and ALT 92, I do not take any supplements but I am on Antihypertensives and HCTZ.  I do drink wine but have throughtout my chemo of course on the good days.  You are right every little thing is attached to this beast. 

• lexislove
    edited June 2009
    Options

yipee...fortunat1 thats what we like to hear!!

sandygirl...don't worry yourself sick!

mmm5 is right there are so many reasons why liver enzymes can elevate.Chemo,meds,foods,drinks ect. Breathe.....try to enjoy your weekend. I'm glad that your onc is being thorough.

• lexislove
    edited June 2009
    Options

Bette, we are here for you. The waiting and anxiety that comes along with all of this is horrid. Truly. Here's wishing b9 results all around. Please come back to give us an uodate when you can.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2009
    Options

((((hugs)))) You will be in my thoughts for the anxious next few days.  

• bettelou68
    edited June 2009
    Options

The scan is over, but the waiting is not. My community hospital uses a mobile scanner based at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. They will read the results there and get back to my doctor.

I did not sleep last night, and am very tired, but cannot sleep.

Thanks for your good wishes and thoughts.

Bette 

• mmm5
    edited June 2009
    Options

I am saying prayers for you right now.....May the light shine on you while you wait! Remember sometimes PETS have false positives "hot spots" that are not cancer so it is not always black and white.

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Bette and Sandygirl, The wait is indeed horrible, and I hope you can find a way to banish it for a while tomorrow, and above all, that you get speedy GOOD answers. The women of the waiting room will be thinking of you.

• nelia48
    nelia48 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2009
    Options

I just caught up on all the posts here, as now I'm in the waiting room, too!  It's the worst part, isn't it?????  I just found a cherry sized lump within the area of the mastectomy.  Above the stitch line.  At first I thought it might be just a rib???  Now that all the swelling is down and the radiation burns are gone, I can feel things better and found this lump.  I showed it to my primary care Dr. and she was puzzled by it, so orderd a chest xray.  The results went to my oncologist and he called me in.  That was scarey enough!  He poked and prodded for a while and was also puzzled by it, and has ordered a PET scan for  July 2nd.  He tried to tell me not to worry, that he thought it was nothing, but I know he wouldn't order a PET scan if he really thought it was nothing!  So my waiting begins.  I know it takes several days to hear the results, so I'm giving it until the 9th and then maybe I'll breathe again!

• bettelou68
    edited June 2009
    Options

Nelia48, you will be in my prayers as you wait.

It scared me when my doctor ordered the PET for the same reason: I imagine that they don't order a PET if there is not cause for concern.

I expect to hear the results of my PET scan on July 1.

Bette 

• bettelou68
    edited June 2009
    Options

Still in the waiting room! Today I picked up the phone and started gathering information and contacts I will need to make good decisions if further treatment is necessary. I figure that my mind may go blank in the doctor's office if she comes in and says "I'm sorry." If she comes in and tells me that I am NED, that will be cause for rejoicing and breathing a sigh of relief.

I feel better that I have more information now and a plan of action.

This morning I celebrated life by meeting a good friend for coffee and prayer.

Bette 

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Good morning.

It's good that you have vigilant doctors who are making sure that everything is checked out thoroughly. Very scary, but very good.

Prayers for you. Here's hoping, pleading, that you'll be able to join me in the "it's just scar tissue happy dance". 

• sherry35
    sherry35 Member Posts: 155
    edited June 2009
    Options

fortunate1-Im so happy for you!

Sorry for those who have had to join us here.  This truly is not the greatest place to be , but like fortunate I will also be here to help and to pray for those that come behind me as those ahead of me did for me.

Here's an update.  My scans were all negative and clear.  My excision did not get a clear margin on one side so July 9 is set to re-excise the little bastard.  Next, the plan is for 5 weeks of rads.  I don't know how soon after re-excision that this will start and I'm not sure what to expect, however it cannot be worse than chemo!!!!! I also think that we will be switching from arimadex to femera, again not sure what to expect, but hey I have a plan now and I think the worst of the waiting is over, at least for the next 3-6 months.

Now, on a personal non bc related topic, my mom had knee replacement surgery today.  The surgery went fine but something happened in recovery.  She stopped breathing and they had to revive her.  All I know is that there was some sort of reaction or possible accidental overdose and they had to flush her system.  She is now stable and breathing on her own.  If you believe in the power of prayer or positive thought could you give a shout out for my mom, I really don't think I could handle losing her right now.  Especially if it was due to negligence. Thanks everyone.

Hugs and prayers for all.

Sherry

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

bump

• mmm5
    edited June 2009
    Options

Sherry

Saying Hail Mary's for you and your Mom right before this post! May the light shine on both of you right now! Be well and have faith!

• bettelou68
    edited June 2009
    Options

Sherry, I just sent up a prayer for your Mom, and for you as well.

Bette 

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Sherry, I'm so glad to hear from you! I'm relieved to hear that the scans showed nothing more. As for rads, I hope it will be like my sister in law experienced. She described it as being warmed from inside, and no big deal but eventually tiring. Not what I expected to hear. She is tough, and strong, like I imagine you to be.

Very very scary about your Mom. Medical problems in your loved ones is so frightening, overwhelming. I lost my Mom two months ago so I can imagine your distress. Prayers and positive thoughts for the both of you. 

• mmm5
    edited June 2009
    Options

Bette

Prayers for you too, I know it sounds like you will get your report tomorrow! It soundsl like you are in a good place! Be Well and Peace be with you!

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

Thank you thank you thank you.  It doesn't seem like quite the right thing to say when total strangers offer their love and understanding unconditionally.  I can't get over the power of the sisterhood.

I spent the day at hospital with my mom and she is being moved out of ICU as soon as a bed is available for her.  They took great care of her and she is going to be just fine.  Thank God.  The stress of anything else may have just put me over the edge.

Bette- prayers for you waiting is hell, how can we help?

Fortunate1-thanks, i've heard the same thing about rads.  It cant be worse than chemo.

• nelia48
    nelia48 Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2009
    Options

Sherry, I'm praying for you and for your Mom.  I know the stress must be so hard for you!  I'm just glad to hear that she is doing better!  Take some deep breaths and try to get some rest!  I finished rads on April 15th.  I burned to a crisp, but I hve to agree -- it wasn't as bad as chemo, that's for sure!  I hated the going every single day.  But the treatments themselves were painless and very fast!  I remember every time counting to 16, and it was over!  You'll get through it!!!!  I am the same stage as you, girl!  And you'll make it through!  I promise!

• fortunate1
    edited July 2009
    Options

Sleep well, women of the waiting room. Good night prayers for you.

• bettelou68
    edited July 2009
    Options

Good morning, sisters

Today will end this phase of the waiting for me. Heading out to oncology appointment, and then leaving for Baltimore for appointments at the Avon Foundation Breast Center at Johns Hopkins tomorrow.

Have a great day. We will be praising God for His provision and care, no matter what news we hear.

Bette 

• lexislove
    edited July 2009
    Options

bettelou we will all be here when you get back! Still hoping for b9 everything!!!!!

• bettelou68
    edited July 2009
    Options

PET scan showed three areas of possible cancer. A biopsy is next on my schedule. If it is stage IV disease, the treatment may be hormonal or chemotherapy. I have to stop taking Femara due to side effects.

Right now, I am at DD's home in Baltimore, resting up for a day at the Avon Foundation Breast Center at Johns Hopkins tomorrow. Emotionally I feel numb. I am making an effort to praise God for all the good things in my life, including Tom, family and friends.

Bette