Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

~* The Waiting Room *~

Options

Comments

• fortunate1
    fortunate1 Member Posts: 467
    edited June 2009
    Options

I'm sure the type of cancer and it's aggressiveness makes a difference in the treatment your onc chooses. Even though I ask a lot of questions, the docs are the ones in charge. It is their knowledge, skill and intuition I am depending on. I just want to know what's going on and have them be completely straight with me. I'm also filling them in on the history of the body they're working on.

Could your husband be trying to open a conversation with you without being too direct about it? Mine kept asking if I was OK, and if I couldn't bear to talk I just said yes.

• sherry35
    sherry35 Member Posts: 155
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi ladies.

I finally heard from my surgeon at 10:00 last night.  Apparantlly i need another small surgery to excise a wider area, and depending on results of ct more treatment.  They are saying definately rads, possible chemo if ct shows anything.  I'm so stressed and my poor husband doesnt know what to do with my crying fits.  He just keeps saying he is so sorry that i have to go through this again. so now i wait again for ct and results and for surgery next thursday.  Uggghhh!!!

Stacy- congrats on your good news

fortunate1- i hear you about not getting any work done, i don't know if i have any sick days left but i find it hard to concentrate on my work while this is happening.

Gaynor,- I don't know if the type matters, I just know that i am an information freak and i wanted to know everything.

Here's a question:  How do you know if you have swollen lymph nodes?

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited June 2009
    Options

I'll be stepping out of the waiting room long enough for a biopsy today.  New US shows it close to or attached to chest wall.  Not what I wanted to hear, however it is whatever it is and I'll deal with it.

Congrats to all with good news, and sending patience to those still waiting.  Hugs to all who didn't get the news they wanted to hear.

Blu

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

Thanks blu,

Good luck today i'll be sending hugs and prayers your way.

Sherry

• Newbie21
    Newbie21 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi all,

My mom is 3 yrs out and the bone san showed a hot spot on her rib. Very nervous! hope it is something else like osteoperosis or a bone infarct.  Please send my mom prayers. She is in no pain. Hoping for good news--xrays will be done today.

Thanks.

Giulia

• Britt
    Britt Member Posts: 81
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello ladies -

Time for me to hang out in "The Waiting Room" - just finished rads two weeks ago and went to medical onco to get Rx for Tamox.  Told her I wanted to take the test to see if I would be able to metabolize it properly - for which she wrote an Rx, along with another test for CA-125 to see about what's going on with an ovarian mass that showed up on a recent CT scan.  I just had the tests performed yesterday.  I didn't need chemo, since my Oncotype score was 12 - but I am still rather nervous about taking Tamoxifen considering all of the side effects involved.  Also nervous about the ovarian mass.  Should get the results next week when I meet with her upon her return from vacation.  So, thanks for the opportunity to sweat it out in The Waiting Room!

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Welcome to some new voices. If you've got to wait, this is the place to do it.

I'm trying to take a bit of a break and am letting others try to make my appointments happen. I'll call them tomorrow, and be less of a cancer patient today. Wish I could do that for all of us.

Sherry, I teach part time and am also self employed at home. No classes for the summer, but my own work at home is so hard to make myself do. I keep delaying tasks for no good reason. Almost anything can deflect me. In fact, if I could transport all of you to my house I'd be busy making a nice boysenberry pie from our garden. I'd like that.

Lunch is over. Back to work. 

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

fortunate1- that's too wierd, I'm a teacher too.  I teach 3rd grade and have only been back to school for a year since my initial dx.  i don't want to take more time off. i really do love my job.  My report cards have to be done by Monday, talk about timing.

Sherry

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Member Posts: 678
    edited June 2009
    Options

My sister is having surgery Friday.  Cancer on one side and b9 cyst on other.  At least she will be even..... and I will be beside her.

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

dreamwriter- thoughts and prayers to you and yours

• mreilley
    mreilley Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2009
    Options

hello all...i am now playing the waiting game. i have a focal pain sbove my r ear on temporal bone pressure behind my r eye...bone scan had uptake to r rib (one small fracture ) and uptake on zymata bone (cheekbone) i had cat scan yesterday of my head and face...now i wait...any advice for my symptoms?? i know it is rare to get mets to temporal skull bone but i am wondering if any of you out there are in similiar situation? hugs to all.

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

mreilley,

Sorry you had to join us in the waiting room.  I don't know of your situation but know that you have my thoughts and prayers for the best possible outcome.

Stay strong and don't let the nay sayers in your head.

Sherry

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited June 2009
    Options

I'm glad everyone here is getting such good support!!

Sherry, I'm sorry about your news, heres hoping to no chemo!

mreilly, you could try posting your question under the thread Not diagnosed with recurrence but worried, there is more traffic there and mets ladies do pop in to answer questions.If that would help you.

Newbie21, a hot spot could be many..many..things. Like arthritis ect, hang in there. B9 thoughts for your mom

Blulze, what is happening with you? I believe we chated through Pm can you refresh my memory?

hopefor30, thanks for checking in! Heal up fast and keep us updated please!

Well, update on me, I'm currently out of the waiting room, but I'm having major anxiety!!!!! My 3 month check is in 3 weeks and I'm nervous. I get my Lupron and Zometa infusion which is no big deal, but I'm a wreck. Trouble sleeping, bad dreams. I don't know why. I saw my PS the other day, and I will have a date for my exchange surgery / breast lift by the end of the summer. It will probably be Early October which is good because myhusband and I plan on going to Europe for 6 weeks starting in August.

Just a question for you ladies...how often do you do your blood tests / tumor markers?

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

So many here today. May your waits be short, and very very successful. I'll be thinking of you today as I  work. As we proposed earlier in this thread, the coffee and cookies (and something to spike the coffee) will be arriving soon. The masseuse will be in a bit later. 

I just called the Breast care center. Still no appointment, but some relieving info. The chart sent to them didn't indicate a lot of concern about the lump. The scheduler said she was having a lot of trouble reaching the doctors office to get what she needed for the ultrasound to be done first. The phone just rang and rang. I had to laugh. She finally sent a fax.   It will be scar tissue!

Sherry, I teach Ceramics at a couple of colleges. I absolutely love my work. Grades are already in (grading I don't love). I'm getting ready for a big sale of my own work tomorrow. Not as much to show this time, but I'm going to have a great time with lots of good friends. 

Everyone, do something fun today. 

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi Girls,

Well I'm still playing the waiting game - no result from the mammogram yet, still trying to hold on to the concept that no news is good news! No contact from the Lymphodema people but the swelling and pain have more or less disappeared however the tendon/ligament (whatever it is?) from my armpit to wrist is really tight and looks weird so maybe I'll have that to shwo them when I get the appointment.

Think I've worked out the abdominal pain issues - gall bladder problem so I'll talk to the doc next week when I have my Herceptin and she if she can line up a test for that.

I used to never go to the docs, never had a day off work in 7 years then this, it seems one thing after another.  I sailed through chemo, rads and now the easier part is not quite proving to be that easy.

Hugs, prayers to those still waiting or those with poor results, congrats to those who got good news. 

Hoping to disappear from this thread soon but only because I will have some news cos it's reassuring talking to you ladies, all of us in the same or similar position.

Gaynor - have a great weekend

• mmm5
    mmm5 Member Posts: 797
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies

Gaynor No news is almost always good news! If something is urgent they will call you usually right away.

Lexis- I so understand your anxiety, I feel really good a lot of the time like I am done with breast cancer, I am back to a lot of my previous activites very active and just feel good. I look at the date you sent me on Herceptin alot and feel so confident. Then Bam out of nowhere I feel intense anxiety. I had a really bad cold, my whold family was sick and coughing but of course thought I was extra special and unique and my cough couldn;t be like the rest of the families and must have lung mets because it lingered. I suffered acute anxiety and just couldn't relax. Now I am fine and remembering that sometimes I do get colds. It is ridiculous that we think everything has to do with BC now. I really believe that this anti anxiety thing is truly a discipline now. I have been rereading Louse Hay's classic you can heal your body and it really is important for us to believe we are healed. I am not one that is all for all natural but there is much to be said for positive thinking.

Question what is the definition of a hot spot, my ONC won't do PETs on early BC as he believes there are too many false positives to worry about he only does MRI and CT.

Fortunate yours will be scar tissue, I just had that and couldn't believe a lump could be scar tissue and there it was. 

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2009
    Options

mmm5 - I'm sure you're right, that I would have heard something by now if there was anything wrong, problem is the lumps I had surgery for last year didn't show on a mammogram but did on an ultrasound, then the surgeon sent me for a biopsy only on the smaller lump as she believed the larger one was maybe a cyst - luckily the tech doing the biopsy didn't like the look of the large one so biopied it anyway - turned out both were cancer!  Hence, I'm not sure I'll be altogether confident with the mammogram result anyway.  I think I'll talk to my Herceptin nurse and the doc tomorrow and see what they think.  I see them more often and have built a great relationship with them over the months.

Hope everyone else waiting for results of whichever tests get good results!  And those that don't, well there are a lot of poeple here and within your families that will help you deal with whatever comes your way. 

I too am a believer in positive thinking although soemtimes to look at my replies here you may not think so.  Outwardly I am very positive and have got through so far amazingly well, I have many people hoping and praying for me and so far so good!!!

Well have to go as lots to do at work and I would like to get finished early today as the weather is glorious and I've lots of work to do in the garden.  My husband has hip replacement surgery (2nd time) in one weeks time so we are trying to catch up on lots of house stuff before he's not able tohelp for a while.  It's a feeling of dejavu right now as we were exactly like this a year ago prior to my surgery and treatment.

Love to all

Gaynor

• Newbie21
    Newbie21 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks for your support. I will let you know.

Was wondering though if a bone scan and xray is enough to figure stuff out and be 100% sure what it is?

Thanks.

This waiting game sucks though. G

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

hello all,

sorry for all that are still waiting, as you all know i feel your pain.  I too get overly anxious just before checkups and scans.  I still await a small surgery on thursday as we have to re excise more tissue.  then i wait for ct scan whole body on saturday and then i wait for results and rads.

However i am also waiting for good news, we put an offer in on a house and it was accepted so we have ours up for sale as of yesterday and am waiting for it to sell.

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi everyone,

Still waiting. I am the black hole of medical communication. If it has to do with me, the message won't be sent, the phones will go down, the papers will be lost or sent back for further approval. I think I'm closer though, and am no longer afraid, as it will be just scar tissue!

Sherry, my thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. Your vigilant doctors will take care of you with such skill and wisdom that the CT will be good. 

Lexis, About the blood tests and tumor markers, I have heard about them on the forums but it's never been mentioned to me by a doctor. Is it something that is done later in treatment? Congratulations about the trip to Europe. Where will you be going? And, about the bad dreams, you may be giving me the courage to start a thread. I have been having incredible dreams since this all started. Not all bad ones, but very vivid, noisy, technicolor, heavy duty workouts. There is usually a feeling of extreme vulnerability. I think my subconscious is having quite a battle.

Newbie, Gaynori, mmm5, mreilly, Britt, Blulze, dreamwriter, there are so many of us in here now; the very best of results to all.

• She
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello All,

Congrats to those with good results and hugs for those still waiting, or facing more tests.  I'm still waiting for biopsy results, hopefully I'll get the path report before the end of this week.

All the best, Blu

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hey everyone,

Finally, a saner wait, as I now have an appointment to wait for. June 29 at the crack of dawn. They'll call me if there is an opening sooner. That means that they will offer me next Wednesday when I'll be sitting with a friend during her chemo. and I will turn it down. That will be 29 days after I saw sympathetic doc, which is two weeks after seeing PS, which is........you get the picture. It doesn't really matter because......, it is just scar tissue!!!

Sherry, still thinking of you. And good luck on the house. 

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Yes name change! Long story.......nothing to do with the board but same person. Need to watch my back Smile
  • fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Polska, woman of mystery.

• She
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hey All,

Got my bx path report.  IDC   ER/PR+ HER-

This is #3 for me and completely different from the first two.  Seeing the surgeon next week.  Guess I'll be hanging out in the waiting room a while longer.  I'm the one in the corner kicking the wall and cussing.

Blu 

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Blu, so sorry that you have to go through it yet again. That's just rotten. I wish I had the right words to make it easier somehow. I'm sending you a big virtual hug, a willng ear, and steel tipped boots to kick that wall with.

For me, a little miracle happened. I got a call, a cancellation at the Breast Center! Today I finally got the ultrasound on the little bb lump. It was a solid something, so now they want to biopsy. More waiting. I'm getting too used to this. As far as I'm concerned it's still scar tissue.

I have gotten to know the nurse director through all this, and was able to provide an interesting little service. They only test, so they never get to see the result of all the mastectomies and lumpectomies etc. So, I did a little show and tell to her and another nurse on my type of reconstruction.  What a strange world I live in these days.

• sherry35
    edited June 2009
    Options

blu-so sorry for your news, we're here for you. I'm standing beside you kicking and cussing as well.

fortunate1-keep the positive thoughts.  sorry your still waiting.

Caught the flu las week so I couldn't have surgery so I have to wait to reschedule that.  Had ct scan on saturday.  waiting for results from that.

AHHHHHH the waiting.

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Sherry and Blu-sorry the wait is still going on. That wall in the corner will never be the same after you're done with it. 

I had a success this morning. My biopsy is scheduled for Thursday morning. They'll do a core sample and put a little clip in to mark the spot, which will be scar tissue. They assure me that they have never punctured an implant. Good. 

Turns out sympathetic doc has a reputation for his disorganized office. I can understand delays, but I should surely be able to believe it if I've been told a fax has been sent. Sheesh! Next time I'm in there I'm going to check out the corners for dents.

• ggrose
    ggrose Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi everyone.  Can I join you in the waiting room?

Had my first mammogram after TX in April -- it didn't come back clean.  There is a mass at 9:00 on the same side as my lumpectomy.  They don't think it's cancer so I have to have a follow up mammogram in 6 months.  Today, had follow up visit with my onc and my cancer markers are outside the normal range.   Of course they say it's probably nothing to worry about, we will just do follow up blood work in 2 months.  Needless to say that I'm totally freaked out! I haven't even told my husband yet.

I'm saying a prayer for all of us in the waiting room.

• fortunate1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi ggrose, Welcome to the waiting room. Two months is a long time to wonder. I guess the thing to do is concentrate on their "probably nothing to worry about" statement if you possibly can. That is so hard to do, even if you trust your doctors completely. I sure have trouble with it.

Sherry and Blu, How are you? I wish we could go out for a glass of wine and a really good pizza and talk about anything but BC.

I had the biopsy yesterday, results possibly on Monday. That little blob on the ultrasound looked so non threatening to me, I think I've worked myself into complete confidence that it's nothing. The doc didn't seem worried about it either, and he's the one who leveled with me during the first go round.

Warm hugs to all.