Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Options

Comments

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2009
    Options

SPRING - I hope that is not the case with the Dial Soap, thats what I ordinarily use anyways. 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited August 2009
    Options

Spring- I did my bloodwork and now each day I pray that they don't find anything that will delay my surgery. Each day I don't hear from the office, the better. It is the last hurdle, right? (lol)

What kind of pants/etc are you packing? Did you go out and buy bigger sizes to accomodate the drains?

Any good tips for all those hip drains? I heard shoelaces but does the hospital have a "better option?"

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yea, Spring, I am at St Charles.  Hear it is great there!  Everyone you talk to is so nice. Sounds like they do all they can to make us feel as pampered as they can with incisions and drains all over our bodies! lol

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2009
    Options

Mel, I was kidding about the dial soap! :)

I got a call from St. Charles CRBS today. Apparently Dr. D's schedule has changed, so as soon as the plane lands, we are being whisked to my "pre surgical" appt., rather than the next day. I think i get some scan the next day anyway, which is fine....

Warrior, i know how you feel, i was glad they were not calling to say, OH, your surgery date has changed!!! ahhhhck!!! :)

I had lunch yesterday with a local woman who is 2 weeks out from her lumbar phase 1 and just back from NOLA last Sat.. She looked great! Was not driving yet so I picked her up and we went to lunch. Showed me the "binder/girldle" thing later when I took her home. It is, indeed, crotchless, and she prefers this to spanx or tight bike shorts, says it is just easier as you don't have to peel them off you to pee, etc. It has down each side hooks, and then the zipper is over. It does go from just under your boobs all the way down your theighs! It's sort of like crotchless bike shorts on the bottom. With *lace* at the bottom of the shorts ends!!! :)  The incisions on the lumbar and much higher than I remember seeing GAP incisions. Interesting!

Anyway, seeing how great she looked just 2 weeks out has made me feel braver about this whole thing! We can do this!!! 

Spring.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2009
    Options

YOU CAN ALL DO THIS! WOOHOOOIIEE Ta tas here you come!!

LaughingMarcia

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

BAKINI's here we come!!!!

LOL...

Thanks Marcia!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Curious if anyone had a hard time getting scheduled. I am a long ways from having the reconstruction done, however would love to have something lined up. I got an email from Liz at NOLA and she asked if I had made a decision. I wrote her back and said yes, I'd like to move forward with scheduling. Then no answer, so the next day I wrote again and asked what the next step was. So she wrote me back yesterday and said she'd call me today to schedule surgery. Never heard from her. Is this typical, should I just be more patient? Hard to, but I'm trying Smile
  • Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Dragonfly, I thnk that is a bit typical. Don't be discouraged. I think they are just overwhelmed down there sometimes, and I've heard it is often hard initially. Perservere. This is really the place for the best results. It will all be worth it in the end. Don't take any of this personally.

sometimes I call and send email. I am always nice, but sometimes I am persistent. Don't give up!

Spring.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Ok, won't take it personal just hate being a pest. I will stick with it though Smile
  • Gin52
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Have to share this girls - daughter is trying to prepare her kids for me being gone and her being gone 3 days to be at my surgery.  Grandson is almost 5.  Went to pick them up to go to dinner tonight and he gets in his car seat and says "mammaw, why are you having your boobs cut off?"  Laughed so hard I thought I was gonna wet myself!  Wink  He had surgery on his back at 3 (long story...but he is fine) and after I stopped laughing, he wanted to know if my boobs were like his back, and I said yea, so he is fine now, lol   Laughing IS the best medicine sometimes.....
  • plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009
    Options

Bev, you are so close!

ok, so went to the gyno today had ultrasound...cysts on both ovaries...really jacked up periods since Tamox and previously clockwork.  Supposedly uterus looked ok....and I was ready and willing to have it yanked. More than likely cysts due to Tamox as are irregular periods...I just know the med onc said(last week) if I did have cysts I'd probably go off Tamox, re sono and the cysts typically go away...then we'd decide either to resume or do injections.....How about I want neither............sorry to be a whiner here but I think this hormonal manipulation has been one of my least favorite things......part of me wants to yank it all out, the other knows any side efects I'm having now would multiply and be more violent.  Not to mention worries about osteoporosis, and heart disease that is rampant in the family history.  I'm sure there wll be many more MD discussions.......FSH, TSH and prolactin sent off.................sorry for the rant..............I still have to get thru mammo,MRI and preop labs too............................

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2009
    Options

Jane I feel you.

I got the results back from my CTA done for my stage 1 and my uterus is filled with fibroids and enlarged, my ovary has dermoid cysts and I have some kind of growth on my right adrenal gland.  I have the p53 genetic mutation (called Li Fraumeni) which makes me prone to several different types of cancer...pretty much the whole body.  So, of course, my doc wants to cut it all out.  I'm really torn.  I'm not 40 yet.  I LIKE my hormones!  Plus, heart disease runs rampant in my family.  UGH!

I go see the genetic speciast at the Univ. of WA after my surgery and will have follow up scans and make a decision then.  I really dont' want another huge sugery so close to this one.  I guess I can't do anything right now any way!  One surgery at at time, right! 

• plainjane64
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Trishia,

And I think that's the best attitude.......ONE thing at a time!  because I still feel I'm doing the right thing losing the ducts/lobules.  And Im  going to continue to be excited about the new improved  body.......the rest just has to wait for now and I got the vibe from the gyno w/ this impending 'big' surgery better to hold off, my cysts would probably go away.

So there TRISHIA.....we're going to be happy and excited about our new rockin hot bodies...we'll take up the eggo and hormone discussion LATER!

k-off to jazzrcise-YES!  I'm stuck in the 80's!lol

more later

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

OK today I made a packing list. Tomorrow is packing and "get everything ready day". And we drop the dog off.  I can't wait until the surgery is done and I wake up. I always feel so happy when I wake up after surgery, like, "OH WOW!! I'm still here!!!".

Do any of you experience being out for surgery for like 45 seconds? For me no matter how long the surgery is, this is how it feels, They wheel me away. Give me an IV. At some point I get dopey, and fall asleep. About 45 seconds later, I wake up and surgery is over!!! :)

Spring.

• Gin52
    edited August 2009
    Options

Spring, know what you mean for the "45 sec".  Seems like no time, no matter how long you are out.  If I havent said here (cause Tamoxifen brain is close to chemo brain, lol)  I am in Hope lodge 7-9 and Homewood Suites 13-18th.  And in case anyone else going to Homewood Suites that is 55+, you can also get a senior discount, so you can get the rooms a little cheaper than even the Center rate.  I listed both on my room request online and got about 4-5 dollars a day less than the center rate.  Not much, but every little bit helps, huh?  Packing? OMG?  Don't even know where to start! lol

• melaniew1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Spring - You are so so close!  Good Luck! 

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2009
    Options

Springtime and Warrior "Good Luck" with your surgeries at NOLA. Just read Nordy's post and she sounds great. Take care.

Stephanie

• Warrior517
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Stephanie!! I think I have gained ten pounds with all the people that want to see me one more time before surgery. My In laws JUST called and asked for lunch...ahhhhh. NOLA will have more to cut off than originally thought! lol

Pack? Ugghh...I will start that tonight. I leave Wed afternoon!

I have a carepages that I have updated since my diagnosis last year. If any of you have an account and want to read my NOLA story, I am at kathysconnection. I answered the questions that so many people ask about this..such as Why New Oleans? Aren't you happy with the way you are?? It was very therapeautic for me to share some of the feelings that are coming out.

Safe travels Spring this week!! I will meet your hubby before I meet you! lol All that matters is our liscense...everything else can be bought. That is my attitude for packing! lol

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi all, today is "packing day" and "getting the dog ready to be dropped off tonight" day, and "get the house ready to be gone" day, etc! I took the day off from work. We fly out tomorrow. So it is HERE!!!

Warrior, My DH's name is Richard. I hope you stop by to see him! 10 hours is a long surgery to wait though! 

Stephanie, I added your specs above per your PM. Are you at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery with either Dr. D or Dr. S? Do you know yet if you'll be at the St. Charles Surgical hospital? and/or what hotels? If you do, let me know and I will add these type things above as well.

Mel and Jen, would you pls, watch this list while Warrior and I are a bit "out of commision" for the next week or so? If other ladies come on and want to be added, let them know I am away so they don't think we are ignoring them!!!  :)

Love love love, Spring. 

• melaniew1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Spring and Warrior517 - Consider the lists watched!   I will gladly look over this list and Warrior517's list until 9/12, then I will have to pass the torch to JenniferJane!  xxoo MEL 

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Mel and JenniferJane,

Please welcome Stephanie (aka macksix6) it looks like she will be at NOLA around the same time as you ladies! Actually Jen, Stephanie is the DAY AFTER YOU!!

Not sure of her specs, but I'm sure she'll let us know. :)

Thanks Mel, for watching the listing! :)

• Springtime
    edited August 2009
    Options

Mel and JenniferJane,

Please welcome Stephanie (aka macksix6) it looks like she will be at NOLA around the same time as you ladies! Actually Jen, Stephanie is the DAY AFTER YOU!!

Not sure of her specs, but I'm sure she'll let us know. :)

Thanks Mel, for watching the listing! :)

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2009
    Options

Woohooo!  Good Luck Spring and Warrior!  You are in the BEST of hands, so try not to be too nervous. 

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited August 2009
    Options

Springtime, I am filled with healing wishes for your travel and surgery.  I'm so glad you'll have a posse there with you.  I'll keep a watchful eye for your reports from NOLA.  Are the updates going to be on this thread or somewhere else? 

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009
    Options

Spring I have been thinking of you today!!!!  have not had a minute to get on the net and wish you off!..  I know you will do famously!...

and don't you DARE forget to ask for the MARCIA bikini affirmations!!!!  LOL  I still crack up over you wanting to 'hang w/ Marcia! Marcia! Marcia! in a bikini in Fla!"...it will be BC.org's own version of "GIRLS GONE WILD!'' woo hoo!!!!  LOL!

OK, I must throw in my gynecological news because I know you've all been wondering...........NOT.....(YES I'm being obnoxious here!).  Since my cysts are relatively asymptomatic my med onc said I can continue w/ Tamox...which I'm tolerating relatively well....so thank you god I don't have anymore new hormonal manipulation to concern myself (or RESTRAIN myself w/!) at least not for the next month or 2.....

AND....my work FMLA situation is sorted out....I still don't know why the leave directors calendar has a FMLA start date a month later than mine and my MD's letter but...I DON't care!, she, my boss,, all the secretaries told me NOT to worry...and YES, I'm doing disability insurance because then I can save some of my Paid time off for when I'm recovered and ready to go on a vacation....like to Florida........... w/ Beverly and Marcia so we can hang out in our bikinis! 

Stephani(macksix)  I am so happy you're here! And forgive me but I'm also happy I'm no longer the LAST one of the month! LOL!  I know the weather will be beautiful when we get there too.

OK, I better do my FMLA/disability ins and send all my final itenerary info to Katie....Hey guys!  Did anyone have to fax FMLA stuff/disability stuff to Dr. D's office?  were they pretty quick getting it back?  I'm not worried...this was on my last weeks agenda and got delayed.....

OH!  I'm staying at the Marriott on canal street- (before and after)......I have a couple of free nights......

Spring you have a safe trip and get on the computer ASAP....kidding....your husband has my e-mail and you have my digits...........

One of those frozen to go daquiris sounds so good right now!

SPRING- feel the love!

xoxo

jennifer

• Warrior517
    edited September 2009
    Options

Trishia and all the ladies!! Thanks for the well wishes! I will be Spring's Shadow...I am 24 hrs behind her in everything..How nice of her to plow the path for me! lol

Spring, if you are reading this..GO TO BED! You have to fly! lol Be Safe!!

Mel...Gin...Will be seeing you very very soon!

• Springtime
    edited September 2009
    Options

Trisha, Altha, Jenn and Warrior, THANK YOU ALL for the good wishes. Packing is *done* and dog is dropped off.... Cab is picking us up at 9AM tomorrow for our 11 flight. I am supposed to go "straight to the Center" after the plane lands for all the pre-surgical stuff, so if anything noteworthy happens, I will let you know!

Warrior, I wil also give a report on "The Hotel Monteleone" once checked in! LOL. 

Kisses!!!  Spring (Beverly)

Jen, YES keep thinking Marcia!!! and glad your cysts are okay. :)

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2009
    Options

Beverly 

Sleep well. Have a safe journey to the other side and a speedy recovery. I too will be having the stacked DIEP/lumbar with Dr D. I am so in for a girls ta ta trip when we have all of this behind us.

Stephanie

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009
    Options

warrior and Danette, I may not get to check back in today...Please know both of you are in my thoughts and prayers....safe trip, safe and speedy surgery/recovery.....you guys are going to have a blast meeting each other in NO!  And you are going to have GREAT results!

oxox,

jennifer

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009
    Options

Spring, all my thoughts and prayers are with you this week. It was only 2 weeks ago today that I was leaving for NOLA... wow! You will do GREAT!!!

Warrior - if I do not get to post to you before you leave, know that my thoughts and prayers are with you as well. Give your kids lots of hugs and kisses and know that your mom will take great care of them! You will be back before you know it.

Okay, girls, it is all YOU. You are in the best of hands... WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO