Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2009

danny5280 - Best wishes for Friday!  You will do just GREAT!  Nothing but positive thoughts and healing vibes sent your way.  Let us know how you are as soon as you can! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

We are in New Orleans! It is sunny and lovely, and get this, ** not at all humid!  ** (freak weather!). The hotel Monteleone is nice. Great location. 

Stephanie, OK, we are having the exact same procedure with the same doc. So I wil lbe able to fill you in on everything! 

I was initially going to have my pre-surgical appts tomorrow, then they called and told me I'd have them today, as soon as the limo could get me from the air port to the Center. Then, today when we landed and I turned the phone on, I had a voice mail saying, ooops, you're back to tomorrow agian! (Apparently Dr. was still in surgery). I have no idea when tomorrow, they haven't told me yet! ha!  You just need to be really patient and flexible. :)

Spring.

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited September 2009

Glad to see you arrived safely in NOLA springtime!  I hope you get to enjoy some local color.  If you have a chocolate attack, you're not far from the Red Fish Grille and their double chocolate bread pudding is beyond divine. 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

OMG, double chocolate bread pudding. holy cow.

Warrior!!! Bring your bathing suit!!! The roof top hotel at the Monteleone is heavenly!!!! 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2009

Spring, keep the weather good for those of us coming after you!  Hope I get to see you when I am there!  Definitely have the phone numbers.  Yours too Warrior.  Danny5280 looks like you are same time as Warrior, and Trisha, your stage 2 is the day after my stage 1   tata prayers all around!

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

Ok...for all those procrastinators out there....its 11:30 at night and I leave for NOLA in the morning and...I HAVE NOT PACKED YET!!!!!!!!!!! arggh...It goes to show that anyone can pull this off last minute..lol  I had a scrimmage football game and soccer...and oil changes..laundry..cleaning..cooking...more laundry..banks...grocery store...NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY!!  My attitude is 1/2 my trip is in a hospital gown anyway..lol   It is challenging when you have to leave three school aged children behind..school supplies..etc

Why am I still typing?? lmaooo.....I better go...

Bev..you are in my prayers for tomorrow! You will be great! xo

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2009

Bev good to hear that you arrived safely and that you brought the good weather with you.  Warrior take a deep breath and relax. Pack a few comfy things to wear and you should be fine. It's time to be selfish and look after yourself for a change. Have a safe trip and don't party too hard with Bev.

• danny5280
    danny5280 Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2009

It's 11:20pm here - and I'm just finishing packing too - I leave on a 1030 flight in the morning.  I'm more nervous about how things will go at home than what is going to happen in New Orleans!  It's a good distraction trying to get everything organized before you go. 

Looking forward to meeting you Springtime & Warrior.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else heading for surgery.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

OMGosh... look at all you ladies going this week.... and next... and the next!!! Last week I saw Dr. M for my post-op (Dr. S was out of town) and she said they were going to be EXTREMELY busy this week. I think she was right! (I was trying to count all the flaps she said they were going to have... I think a bilateral stacked would count as four flaps! Sooooo... between Spring and Warrior, there are 8 flaps alone! Then add Danny's 2 hip flaps, and there is 10... that is almost half of what Dr. M said they were doing this week!) WOW... I am so excited for you guys!!! Everyone hang in there, you are SO in the best of hands (Have I posted that at all recently???). Woooooohooooooooo!!!! Oh, can I also tell you, my boobs have never been this big... maybe when I was pregnant... I am not complaining (and neither is my husband... except that he can't have them... LOL)....  Wink

PS - Hi Stephanie!!!

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Danny flies in today and gets here early enough that I hope we get to meet today sometime, Warrior and her DH have a late arrival! 

I have all my pre-surgical appts sometime today, but don't know when! ha! Nordy, must be the crazy busy week you are talking about!. I figure what the heck, we are going to have  fun exploring until they call anyway. Then we'll mosey on back to the hotel and wait for the limo. Golly, you could get used to this! lol.

OK off to the shower and then Richard said he discovered a place down the street for breakfast. :)

Spring.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2009
    I love reading all these posts..it is making me excited and less nervous!  I am more nervous for stage 2 than I was for stage 1.  LOL!!! 
  • jseda
    jseda Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2009

Sept 17th JSeda. LeeMcC Sept 21st

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2009

Hey Spring,Warrior,Steph etc etc...

If you have time take a trolley ride down Canal and St Charles Aves (the windows are down and its so cool to see and hear the city this way!..do it in the evening and then walk the waterfront~ VERY relaxing..

Soon the Docs of NOLA will do their magic on y'all...Woo Hooooo

Hugs Marcia

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited September 2009

Hey spring, if that place down the street is Cafe Beignet, they have really good muffeletas too. 

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2009

I just found out that I will be having my surgery in NOLA at Fairway Medical Center on Sept 25. I didn't see that listed as a place where anyone else was having surgery, wondering if anyone might have any info about it.  This time around I am having right mx with immediate implant due to having radation after. 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

Hey Brenda!  Congrats on getting your date!  Come see me as my surg is 9/22.  I know some have mentioned Fairway and I'll let them chime in here! 

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

Hi Brenda, Plainjane and I are watching this thread for Spring while she is away having her surgery.  Send me a private message with all your info, procedure, dates and where you will be staying and when Spring gets back we will get you added to the list.  Take care.

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009

Well, I just know Spring's husband will be sending an update any time now and  promise to let     you guys know ....but if someone else gets it before me please do share...I know you will!

Girls !  I cannot believe we're at labor day wkend!

I think  I have my round of preop labs/diagnostics all set for next week-wednesday....had my local MD's re-order Dr. D' stuff so I could get them done in network.

Melanie I had ice cream- a sonic blast today.  It was good!

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009

OK, Bev is out and the description by MD's was 'it went perfectly'.....Unfortunately I did not hear anything about Bikinis or Marcia..................LOL!  Apparently her computer crashed last pm and a friend/not Richard-her husband sent out the word.......I've done 2 scans today and am NOT happy w/ my own virus protection....so If I disappear it's not because I'm mad at anyone! 

Apparently 11 hours in the OR........Hope she feels us and rests well tonight and has an uneventful healing process!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2009

That's great news!  Thanks so much for posting--I was thinking about her all day today.  Hopefully she will feel up to posting soon!

My husband and I discovered an incredibly good place for breakfast and you can ride the streetcar down St. Charles right to it -- Camellia Grill.   Just jump off the street car right as it makes the turn onto Carrollton.  They have delicious omelettes and are famous for their pecan waffles, which are absolutely loaded with pecans.  Yum!!!  Here's an article about it:  http://www.atneworleans.com/body/camelliagrill.htm 

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

YEAH SPRING!!!!!!!!!   Girl you did it!  Its over!  And I bet you LOOK FABULOUS!!!! JUST MARVELOUS!!!!

JenniferJane - A SONIC BLAST SOUNDS YUMMY!  Try the PEACH SHAKE AT Chic Filet. To DIE FOR!!!!  I highly recommend it.  We had one for the first time when we drove my son to college a few weeks back.  We spent the entire ride home looking for Chic Filet signs on the exits so we grab another one!  YUUUUUMMMMMM!

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009
    Sept 4, danny5280   BE WELL GIRL!  We are all pulling for you!  Check in with us when you can! 
  • AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2009

Danny, the Denver-North Chapter of BC.ORG is pulling for you. Best of luck!

Anne

• sunandsandgirl
    sunandsandgirl Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

I am keeping all of you NOLA girls in my prayers during your surgeries in September.  Know that you are in wonderful hands.

sunandsandgirl 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2009

Spring! I am so excited for you girl!! Hope I get to see you before you leave so I can have something to look forward to!!   Warrior, expecting the same great news on you today, and I will be there on the 8th for my consult, so will see you then!! 

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

I had all my preop stuff done today.  Its really real  now........no backing out now! HA!  Actually after getting all that stuff behind me, I have a real sense of peace about it all. Now its just time between me and getting some sense of normal back to my life.......as normal as that will ever be again.  Counting the days now girls!  xxoo

I sure hope we hear something from Warrior soon.  Been praying for everyone today! 

Plainjane - its not long now!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2009

Can you tell me what the pre-op stuff is? I have a tentative appointment a few months from now and was told I would get a packet in the mail.

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

Hi Dragonfly19 - Pre-op for me was blood work, ekg and a chest xray.  Pretty simple stuff, but I am a delayed reconstruction.  There may be more to it if you are having immediate reconstruction. 

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009

OK, I need to quit jinxing myself......major comp crash......BuT guess what? YES she CAN fix her own internet setting......itsjust no fun, better things to do!

OK..so, I've heard nothing else onhe Bev front so I'm going w/ no news is good news.

Sandy, thank you for the pecan waffle info......I think I will!

So anne.....is there really a local chapter?  Hm interesting!

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009

Melanie, I am so happy this week is over.  ALL this BUSY work.

I thought I'd be able to just walk into my cancer center at UTSW w/ Dr. D's orders and have them do it...but aparently they won't unless he's on campus so all my onc and BS are on board and ordered everything so I'm set for all except just need the EKG....and I actually think my friends in pediatric cardio clinic(at my work) are going to help me out....they actually follow adults born w/   congenital heart issues so they're set up.  So whew!  I think   ALL will be done and is scheduled for wednesday. PLEASE GOD-praying for normal  results! 

I sent info and rec'd back itenerary from katie yesterday......and made the wax appt for legs and underarms. Yeah it's really happening!

And thank goodness finished work eval materials for submission.....have the appt w/ boss tues a.m. to be evaluated....MY BFF who's coming to help-and be my private nurse (LOL) got promoted.

better go work out! Have a great saturday all!

xoxo,

jennifer