Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2010

Ahhh Holtbolt you want nice girls, right ???  Then learn how to say Who dat ??  and you will be just fine.  Everyone was wearing their Saints scrub hats when I went in :)

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2010

I am in on the calendar! DITTO on what Nordy said about self image! IT IS AMAZING HOW DIFFERENT I FEEL ABOUT ME NOW!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

LouAnn, I added your Stage 2!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2010

Calendar! Me too! And reserve a month for Sandy - she loves to show those nips!

Well Springtime, you brought up the other "issue." So, here goes -  Could any of you (assuming you got past the constipation) ever actually do that business with the domanatrix outfit on? For me, it was physically impossible!

Soccer Mom - Sooo sorry about your insurance. We still have our insurance, but the terms have changed considerably over last year and from when I had the first breast done. Deductible has gone from $250 to $1500 ($1750 out of network) and up to $3500 out of network out of pocket. So I will definitely have to pay that $5000, if my insurance agrees to let me head south again! I bet they'll give me a hard time, this time...

(BTW, Soccer Mom has already been in a calendar!)

Charleston Girl - Your dream really made me LOL!!!!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2010

Phew! Finished this thread late last night after reading it through from beginning to end over a couple of weeks. It really is, as others have said, like a book you don't want to put down. In fact, it COULD be a book!

I had a BMX 10-09 with expanders placed, and my exchange surgery 12-30-09. I am not happy with the results and have delved into these boards to try to figure out what to do. I NEVER thought I would EVER consider a big surgery like a DIEP, but I am now. There is something about this thread that gives me the "go for it" feeling.

So, a couple of questions.  I'm trying to figure out how hard the recovery is.  I know it varies greatly and depends on many factors, but for those that had a BMX with tissue expanders placed, is it WAY harder than that? That was not easy but I did it...

Also, I know there are several Michiganders on the thread and I think a couple of you have BCBS PPO. If so, can you share what ahppened with insurance payment?  I know I need to submit my info to NOLA and see what they say about the insurance but I was just wondering.

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2010

Minnesota - I could not imagine "doing my business" with the dom outfit on - no way, no how!!!

I swear by the Milk of Magnesia - one dose and it was smooth sailing the rest of the trip!

OK ladies - I am serious about the Calendar - le't shooot for a   2011 version!!! Whoop-Whoop!!

Geaux Saints!!

xoxo

LA

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Jealous Louann.....  I have taken a boat load of colace, 2x milk of magnesia and a ton of other things to make me go and I still thought I was gonna die from having to go....  BTW, no problem with going with the outfit.  I don't care as long as I feel better. 

Okay speaking of outfits I am now in a different top and bottom since my allergic reaction to the beloved black outfit.  I am using a spanex (think nylon) on the bottom inside out so the seems are minimal with the crotch cut out.  It is working....  the only place I could find spanx was at Nordstroms for $72 and the thought of spending that much money and then cutting them up hurt.  So I plan on ordering some on-line for after the drain is gone.  For my top Dr. S told me I could wear nothing if I would like but I am wearing a very pretty sports bra that makes my new girls look even better.  :)  Anyhow it's all working but what a PITA to find things that work. 

So I am going crazy already being stuck in out house after the snow storm and the worst part is they are calling for more on Tuesday...grrr.....  I planned on getting out to our local mall and walking so I can keep up some exercise.  There is only so much walking that I can do in our house. 

So I will be putting my Saints gear on today and hoping they win.  If they do the city is going to be amazing.  They already know how to put a parade on I can't imagine how big they will be if they win. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited February 2010

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!  Woohooo!

I normally could care less about the Superbowl, but I am STOKED to watch the NOLA BOYS KICK ASS!!! 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2010

hey ladies, I am still a month out from my surgery but I'm getting things together that I will need. I'm trying to find the dry shampoo but not sure where to look besides online, i would prefer to buy it in a store so I dont have to pay shipping. any ideas?

• Minnesota
    edited February 2010

Louann - Contact the Center and make the calendar offer. Talk to Liz. But we need really sexy photos - with a good photographer - none of those before/after type clinical photos!

Jaimie - That dominatrix outfit pressed the cheeks together so tight that no way could I do that kind of business!

Yes, Geaux Saints!!!! I've got on black and gold beads from Bourbon Street and my fleur de lis earrings! Oh, and my Bad to the Bone, New Orleans shirt. Oh, and my Cafe du Monde coffee. If only I had some beignets!!!!!

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Okay maybe I am not the pressed in mine hmmm......

I got my new fleur de lis bracelet on that I got from the French quarter but that's about as far as I can go.  My drain the one that had to be put back in the other day is burning like someone has a lighter up to it.  It's not red it just burns.  I finally had enough and took some pain meds. so I might sleep thru the Superbowl :(.  It's not even close to being ready to come out but it would be nice if the burning would stop.

So has anyone had a mini tummy tuck during stage 2 ??

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2010
    Jamie....I bought my 'spanx' at Target. They are called Assets and Spanx created the line and is sold exclusively there. They cost $25 and work great!
  • kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

AmyM - My recovery has absolutely been manageable and shorter than I'd expected.  There is a woman at my dh's work who had a bmx and tissue expanders in Oct.  She's had a really hard time, drains for many weeks, lots of pain and breast discomfort.  She's hoping to move over to her permanent implants in April. I had a DIEP Jan 19, am not quite 3 weeks out, off pain meds and cautiously doing most things. My breast swelling is going down and I'm almost looking normal.  I'm astonished.  I had expected a recovery similar to this woman's at my dh's work.  I feel like I got off very lucky with it taking a shorter time for recovery, as well as for drains and for pain meds.  Everyone certainly is different, but it seems that what we worry about taking forever on this surgery, is possibly less than we anticipate.  I'm sure a lot of it relies on the skill of the surgeon, as well as the time in surgery itself.  - Christine

• kcshreve
    edited February 2010

Melinda,  Do you think you need a dry shampoo?  It is possible to shower and wash your hair with the water flow coming from behind and patting dry afterward.  I, too, had read about dry shampoo, but in the end, showering was not a problem.  It was a challenge the first few days, since one's balance and endurance is a bit off, but it was very possible and I loved the feeling of the warm water on my tired shoulders. - Christine 

• kcshreve
    edited February 2010

FINAL DRAIN OUT YESTERDAY!!!!   I'M FREE!!!!  It seemed like it took forever to turn clear.  I called and griped to Celeste at NOLA a few times about it, she was encouraging. My Stage 2 is scheduled for April 21.  My only continuing pain, which is at a low level, is about 2" to the left of my belly button, which is probably where they harvested vessels. The binder is helpful in creating support and comfort to that spot.

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Thanks Christy.  I will buy them from there since we have local targets all over the place :)  Do they have a seem ??  Not that it matters much because what I have on now has a seem. 

kcshreve~ Glad to hear you are drain free.  Jealous, but really happy for you. 

So the pain meds worked no more drain pain :(  So I am pain free :)  Honestly anyone have hip flap the drains have been my biggest complaint BUT I always have drain issues and burning with them.  By the time they are ready to go I will be miserable. 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2010

Minnesota...yep, did it with and without breasts! Count me in for the NOLA ones.

My OON OOP was $100,000.00 when I went to NOLA...Thank goodness I was able to get an out of network exception!

THX for the commiseration on the insurance, I am REALLY worried..sigh..

Geaux Saints!

m

• ccbaby
    edited February 2010

Jamie....The only seam they have is along the inner thigh, but you can't feel it at all. No seam on the outer part of the thigh.  It is very comfortable. And, I did not buy the high waisted kind since we had the HIP flap. You will only have to wear it for one week after drain removal. Good luck!

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

WHOOOO the Saints won the super bowl :)  Imagine the party in NOLA...... I am thrilled for the Saints.....

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2010

Well, this is the first time in my life I cared who won the Super Bowl!  Woohoo!!!  Yay for the NEW ORLEANS SAINTS!!!!

So happy for them!  Laughing

• ccbaby
    edited February 2010

WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!  SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS BABY! And Drew Brees won $100,000 for the Hope Lodge!!!!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2010

We just watched them win, it'll be fun to be there in a couple of weeks! I'm in on the calendar too, I haven't had my stage 1 but I'm confidnet I''ll be pleased enough to participate!  Yea Saints!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2010

Whoop-Whoop!! I am so excited for everyone at the Center, the people of New Orleans, and the Saints! They did it!!

Renew, Rebuild, Rebirth

LouAnn

(I'll send Liz an e-mail and give her a heads up on the calendar idea!!)

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Okay Calendar Ideas:

What type of pictures ???   Sounds silly but just wanted to know what type of pictures are you ladies thinking of ??

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

Can I get a WHOOP, WHOOP????? WHO DAT?!!!!!!!

PS - I did ALL my business in the dominatrix outfit... LMAO... It only came off for showering... LOL - again, TMI!!! Sealed

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2010

Yeow Saints!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited February 2010

WOOOHOOOO SAINTS!! 

HelloFromCT~me too!  I usually go shopping and to the movies during the superbowl!!

I am IN on a calendar! 

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2010

Wanted to pop in and say hello. Between major snow storms and school closings, I've not been able to come here and check in.

I hope you are all well, regardless of what stage of this process you are experiencing.

I will be arriving in NOLA on Tuesday afternoon, repeating my Stage 2 on Thursday, and going home on Sunday. This will be the first time that my husband is travelling down with me. I've been having my surgeries alone and he or a caregiver coming down to check me out of the hospital.

Some of you may remember that I questioned the success of one of my nipples. I did, indeed, lose one. A left breast fail on my first surgery, and a right nipple fail on Stage 2. It's against the odds for that to happen, but I'm used to being "the one" LOL.

Looking forward to getting this revision (left breast still larger), and repairing/removing the remaining nipple. I do not think I will attempt to have them reconstructed. I'll go for the 3D tats instead.

If any of you will be in St Charles Surgical Thursday/Friday, feel free to find me  :)

My love and prayers to each of you. I've missed so much!

Carolynn

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2010

PS

My throat hurts from cheering for the Saints tonight! What a game!!!!

Bourbon will be wild on this trip down!  ;)

• Minnesota
    edited February 2010

WHOOP! WHOOP!

DA SAINTS - DAT"S WHO!!!!!!!!!!

My throat hurts, too. What really did it in was that LOOOOOOOONG touch-down run. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great, great game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!