Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Tammy~ I was driving the day that I came home so 11 days post op.  I was off the narcotics and felt fine :)

Cat~ I am jealous that you get to meet so many people.  I missed the 2 ladies from this board because of the hospitals that we were at. 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

Tammy - Count me in for the page in the book!! Thank you for taking this on!

Looks like next week is going to be a busy one in NOLA!! Best of luck to all you ladies that are up! You wont regret the choice that you have made!!

One thing I wish I had done before my surgery......take my measurements!! (especially the waist and hip area) - I am back in my jeans but I have quite a bit of extra room in my upper hip area - looks like I will be shopping for new jeans once this is all over!

xoxo

LouAnn

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

TrainerTam - that's ok.. really.. on the photo.. since I was all narc'd up and can't remember you even took it.. I'm sure I look horrendous anyway.. don't go to any trouble.. lol....I don't know what you mean either on the scrapbook "hinge".. I'm not a scrapbooker either... but I will go to Michael's or JoAnn's to get the stuff I need,  (?)

Minnesota - I'm a Gapper and I just got off the phone with Beth (follow up) and asked her about the drains... apparently no matter how much they put out they want you to leave them in 3 weeks mininum (that's what she told me anyway).. and she said they are ok to pull after that if 2 consecutive days the ouput is 20 ccs or less.. .I've got one that is now under 20cc's (and I'm not 3 weeks out yet) and one that is about 40 and still dark red... I'm creeped out at pulling them myself but thinking about it.....any tips?

You know on these follow up calls it's kinda weird... we don't know "what's normal".  Like I have these jolting pains coming from the drain site today when I move on one side that I haven't had up until now... is it normal.. is it the start of an infection...is it nerve pain... who knows...

I wanted to pass on the best tip I was given (by Erin in the hospital).. Stripping the drain is SO much easier if you take one of those little alcohol prep pads and slide the tubing with that pad wrapped around it.... it slides through your fingers so much easier.. did I explain that right?    Also, .... make sure you (or your nurse) puts gauze between your skin and the tubing inside the dominatrix girdle.  First nurse did not and I got nasty itchy blisters......  :)

• phoffa
    phoffa Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2010

Minnisota-my hip drain pushed itself partially right on out, around the three to four week point.  I just took it the rest of the way out.

Holtbolt-give the drains a bit more time.  Mine slowed way down, almost to the point of no output.  I woke up the next morning it it was FULL.  I don't know if it was pinched or blocked inside, but I am sure glad I hadn't pulled it early.

Patti

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

LouAnn - great idea, I'll take my measurements this week.  Plus I still need to take pictures of the before hadn't done that yet. 

Holtbolt - thanks of the tip.  There have been so many, I just hope I can remember them all. Great to hear that your drain output is that low!  Maybe  you can get rid of them soon!

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2010

My PS pulled all my drains out prior to 3 weeks, BMx drains pulled first, then SGAP drains. Can't remember exactly how long afterwards drains were pulled but I was back working at the office at 2 1/2 weeks so I know they were pulled at that point. Stitches were pulled at 3 weeks. I took the rest of that day off - LOL...

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Sally,  Where are you staying?  Your hotel and the hospital should be fine. As far as seeing New Orleans, knees can be a problem.  I've had surgery on both of mine.  The streetcars have very large steps to get up into them, but a pole to hold onto as you get up.  And they are not on a schedule, so they can wait for your mom to get up if she is able, but just needs a bit more time. We used them quite a bit, bit I definitely noticed the steps.  How would she do with large steps? The French Quarter is by foot, but there are also carriages which you can hire for a tour around.  They charge about $60. Possibly you could get a our lined up?

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

Eating/drinking the night before - I recommend a strong veggie focus, since that food is going to be with you for a few days, since bowels "wake up" after a couple days. :)   The constipation is potentially a big problem, so you want to keep ahead of it.  I had questions about my blood pressure and thyroid meds and  how much to take and when to take them, since I usually dose 2x/day.  The anesthesiologist was very helpful with this. He was patient in explaining it.  I guzzled until midnight, then took meds at 5 am with a sip of water.  The driver picked us up around 5:30 and I checked in at 6 for an 8am surgery.  They start an IV pretty quickly, which helps with the dehydration problem.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2010

It might help with the constipation issues if you keep yourself VERY well hydrated before surgery. Start drinking extra water at least 3 days before - every time you want one glass, drink 2.

Leah

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

Another good option with the drains is put some hand sanitizer on your thumb and index finger, and the drain will slide right through it.

I'm in on the scrapbook too, just let me know what to get!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

KC I am  staying at the Parc St Charles for Sunday and Monday that is on St Charles avenue too Then St Charles Hospital for Tues Wed Thrus and Friday then was planning on going to the Hope Lodge. I just found out this evening my aunt is going with me an my mom So happy about that because I help my mom with a lot of things and help her up and down high steps and down there I would not be able to . Feel much better about that. Did any one get a really nervous stomach the week before. My stomach has been killing me ( I certainly have not had the constipation problem ya all are talking about) I pretty sure it is nerves but god I would hate to get sick and have to postpone.It is amazing the emotions that I am going thru I know you all understand that part.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Hi girls,

I made it through surgery just fine yesterday. I am sore and tired. My boobs and body look fabulous! I had a lot done, so Dr S wanted me to stay at the hospital an extra night. I don't mind because I love the food and big scree tv here, lol Getting ready to watch Survivor in a few minutes.

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Christy~ Glad to hear that you make it thru the surgery fine.  So quick question are you happy so far ?? 

Sally~ I was nervous until about 3 days before I left and then I got calm about everything.  Not sure what or why but it was like I knew I was making the best decision for me. 

• ccbaby
    edited March 2010
    Jamie...I am VERY happy!!
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Jamie, glad you are happy!! :)

Sandy and Hello, I added or moved your stuff in the list above.

Melinda, I think you have the right stuff for constipation, However, you may want to bring Milk of magnesia or Fleet suppositories. Tell your Doc you have constipation issues. They will give you colace and the suppositories while you are in the hospital. I have such "issues" like this, it was a major part of my concern for stage 1 as well. I

Nordy, sorry about your Daddy!!!  

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

Using hand sanitizer for stripping the drains was the ticket!!  My dh helped me with them right after surgery, and it made it so much easier for both him and for me.  Someone had posted about that on this site somewhere and it was so true.  Also, when you have 4 (or more) drains, I felt kind of vulnerable to infection.  This may not be realistic at all, and may be more in my mind, but using that sanitizer just made me feel a bit more settled.

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

CC- Yeah!!  I'm glad you're feeling so great!

Who is your nurse for daytime?  For nighttime? 

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Christy~ I am so thrilled for you!! 

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

Yay Christy! So glad you're feeling good. Enjoy the pampering.

• ccbaby
    edited March 2010

Thanks everyone! 

KC...The last time I was here, I had Jamie D (daytime)  and Nicole (night) but neither of them are working this week.  I am not sure the names of my nurses now, but they are great too!

Nordy...I am so sorry about your Dad

Spring...that was me that said I am happy, not Jamie  lol  But I am sure she is happy too!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Restaurants that come recommended by NOLA grads...

Fiorella's Cafe
    45 French Market Pl
    504-528-9566
    "Fried chicken and homemade macaroni and cheese."

Johnny's Po-Boy Restaurant
    511 Saint Louis St
    504-524-8129
    "Great for breakfast. Best roast beef po-boy."

Cafe Maspero
    601 Decatur St
    504-523-6250
    "Good, cheap food. One dollar and three dollar strawberry daiquiris."

Napoleon House
    500 Chartres St
    504-524-9752
    "Muffelettas, classical music and wine."

Commander's Palace Restaurant
    1403 Washington Ave
    504-899-8221
    "Thirteen dollar lunch."

Bacco Restaurant
    310 Chartres St
    504-522-2426
    "Ten dollar lunches, ten cent martinis."

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited March 2010

Nordy......You're in my thoughts and prayers as is the rest of your family and your sweet Daddy.

Christy-congrats...I had 2 nights as well....probably because I didnt wake up the first day!  LOL!  I had MUCHO as well and my favorite anesthesiologist gave me another demerol phenergan PCA.  I felt no pain.  But I am a lightweight.

Eating the night before..................Do have your plan set. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS. I was busy tying up loose ends, paperwork, stuff at home that I just could NOT get to before I left and all of a sudden it was 7 or 8 pm and I was still at FEDEX in the hotel and had to make phone-calls and update my caring bridge website...ya di da di da!  because I just didn't know how long until I'd be able to?.... Decided to have a low key night in the hotel room w/ nothing too heavy.  One thing lead to another....no menu in the room.... delay from room service...I finally got my soup and salad at 930....my NPO time was midnight....and I too had been a hard IV stick so I wanted to drink as much water as possible the night before so the nurses would have an easy IV stick.  I had tomato basil soup and a salad.......tomato basil soup = big mistake....acid...but yes it was 930 too...and I REALLY should know better....just goes to show.................I guess it all goes out the door when you're the pt.  I burped all night but when I went in the next morning my nurse was Deirdre......she was GREAT.  I told her about my issues and fear of puking....she gave me grief(in a fun way) for coming to Nola and eating tomato basil soup.  She put the IV in and gave me something for nausea.  But I told the anesthesiologist too(YES ME the RECOVERY room nurse!)  I was so paranoid I would vomit during or after and I did NOT....thanks to chemical interventions(phenergan is great for nausea and potentiates pain meds-or snows you so much you don't care?)..  AVOID very acidic stuff, earlier is better for your last supper and tank up on your fluids consistently a few days before so you don't go in dry. 

Goodnight ladies!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Great tips Jennifer...thanks!

So glad to hear you're happy Christy!!  That's awesome!

Thank you Spring!  What would we do without you on this thread???????

Suzanne

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

thanks for all the tips! Not many people understand that fear of the horrible constipation after a longg surgery quite like breast cancer girls. My suitcase is 1/2 clothes and 1/2 random supplies I might need.

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Christy - glad your doing great and happy with your result!   One more happy NOLA girl! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Marcia - Thanks for the list! We always go to Cafe Maspero the first night and I get a veggie muffeletta and a dollar margharita! Also, Napoleon House has a lovely courtyard and great history! I also like Cafe Pontalba, on the northwest (?) corner of Jackson Square - great view of St. Louis Cathedral and especially nice when musicians are out there playing!

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

I second Jennifer's suggestion.  We went to a seafood place called Dee's (which I didn't like) and I got cajunneeedddd...... way too much....  I don't mind a little but after all you are in NOLA but it was not a good idea.  Deirdre was my nurse also and I just kept appoligizing for burping....and my throat burned...  BTW, Deirde is a riot and actually helped me relax a whole lot.  We were joking because my allergy list keeps growing and she told me that she wasn't going to be my nurse..lol.....  She is such a jokester and I was relaxed before they gave me my happy medicine.  I got a little too happy.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

Just a random thought here - My last visit was, of course, to fix some issues.  But, that said, it might be relavent anytime you are going home with "wounds" to care for.  The Center gave me so many "supplies", I almost had to go buy another bag to carry them all home on the plane!  If your suitcase is pretty full, you might consider putting some kind of foldable bag in that you could use to transport medical supplies in on the way home. I know it would have helped me.  They are really wonderful to make sure you have everything you need when you get home!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Christy- Good to hear you are doing good & Very Happy!

Wow- so many Ladies up next week!

Mar 15 - Anniese - Stage 2/3. (Dr M) NOLA. St. Charles Surgical

Mar 16 - Melinda413 - Delayed BiLateral DIEP, Dr S., NOLA. 

Mar 17 - 2Tzus - Bilateral DIEP. Dr. S., NOLA, Fairway Hospital  

Mar 18 - Macksix6 (Stephanie) - Stage 2, NOLA. 

Mar 19 - Bobbie (Sandy's friend), Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA. 

Wishing you all a great Surgery & Recovery!

try not to worry this weekend....I know its hard. You are almost on the other side.

Pam

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2010

Christy,

I'm so happy for you. 

Nordy, So sorry about your Dad.  I hope he is doing better now.