Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2010

Nordy so sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

i have a TMI question for you ladies. I have been trying to get a NOLA nurse on the phone or in email but no luck so far.

I'm really concerned about the constipation issues after surgery. I have these issues even without anasthesia and pain meds. After my mast I dont think I went for like 9 days, my mom was freaking out!

So i wanted to know if it is ok to take a laxative like 2 days before surgery so im good and cleaned out by then? Plus did anyone get anything for that at the hospital post surgery? It's bizarre but im more worried about than the flap lol.

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

i have a TMI question for you ladies. I have been trying to get a NOLA nurse on the phone or in email but no luck so far.

I'm really concerned about the constipation issues after surgery. I have these issues even without anasthesia and pain meds. After my mast I dont think I went for like 9 days, my mom was freaking out!

So i wanted to know if it is ok to take a laxative like 2 days before surgery so im good and cleaned out by then? Plus did anyone get anything for that at the hospital post surgery? It's bizarre but im more worried about than the flap lol.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Thank you Stephanie... I am so sad...

Jaimie - I am sorry if I sounded mean up there... I don't mean to... my mind is just  elsewhere... 

Melinda - Smooth Move Tea - I take a couple days before... works like a charm.

Okay - got to go. 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2010

Nordy, I hope your father recovers. I'm praying for him.

Leah

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

Oh Nordy I was posting when you were the  first time and missed about your father. I hope all is well and he gets better

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Nope you didn't sound mean at all Nordy Smile  So hopefully I will never have these issues but now I know who to ask.  I am sorry to hear about your Dad. 

Melinda~ I took some stuff before I left and then in the hospital they gave me some colace.  It still didn't prevent "issues" but I was able to work thru them.  I would take whatever works for afterwards though.  I believe the sooner you get things moving the better you will feel. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

((((NORDY))))  Sending lots of positive and healing energy your dad's way.

I started taking Colace a couple of days before also.  

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Nordy, so sorry and best wishes to your dad.

Melinda, I was told on the phone before surgery that it was fine to take something the couple of days before surgery, then at my pre-op was told the same thing.  So as long as whatever you take is done by the time you go for surgery...that seems to make sense...  Also after surgery they give you colace regularly.

Spring, thanks for adding me.  I think I'm in with the March gals though (should be May 20).  Thanks again!

Sandy is the change with Katie since 3/1?  By the way, I'll be having my Stage 2 May 20 so I hope to see you there!

Jamie good luck with the aspiration!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Nordy,

I am so sorry to hear about your Dads Stroke.

My Thoughts & Prayers are with you & your family.

Pam

• Dejaboo
    edited March 2010

It took me 7 days before I could go after surgery.

I was very worried about it as I developed a rectocele when I had my Hyterectomy (TMI)

I tried alot of stuff- the Colace in the Hospital.  Warm Prune Juice & The suppositories they had there.   After I headed to the hotel I sent dh out to buy Glycerine Suppositories & finally was able to go..i should have done that much sooner.   I will this time & I am planning on Bringing some smooth move tea- Never tried that.

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Nordy - I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.  Best wishes for you and your family on a quick recovery! 

Tammy - You just let us know the final details on the book and I'm in with a page and help with cost.  Would love to have it ready and at the center when I go back for stage 2 sometime in June or July.  Plus I'll look at the current book again to get some ideals as I've never done scrapbooking before. 

Melinda - Pam from the hosptial said it was a good idea to get cleaned out before surgery as she also mentioned the problems we'll have with going!  I already have problems and take two colace daily, so I'm definately going to take something else before surgery to help. 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

Nordy - I'm so sorry to hear the news about your dad.... thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.... (on a less important note... and to answer your post.... I don't think I want alot of stuff on Stage 2 either.... I just want my butt divots filled in and want to move on...the less pain the better......

Melinda - I was totally paranoid about constipation... took stool softener and was pretty cleared out before surgery but still it took like 8 days to go after.... I felt like I had so much stuff in my system... Colace, Miralax, Stool Softener, Senecot, prune juice, gylcerine suppositories, enemas.. omg... it really took that much to make it happen... I had all of that...when it did I vaguely remember a small party at the Homewood Suites... it will happen eventually... just wanted you to know I was just as paranoid.. I came armed with alot of stuff...I think you should bring whatever has worked for you in the past... 

Tammy - thanks for offering to put the book together.. I am SO in on making a page ... I think I'll find some little straight jacket stickers for mine.....  I still am amazed at how Dr. D and the staff helped me through the emotional stuff and not just the physical....  very grateful...

For those who have had the GAP - I am 2 weeks out... I was just looking for reassurance that my butt will not be forever numb... can anyone chime in and tell me feeling does return back there and you can eventually sit for long periods of time without numbness and that your rear returns to normal?  I'm kinda feeling like I robbed Peter to pay Paul... and I want to believe my butt will feel normal some day....hope so....

Hope everyone has a great Thursday....  Smile

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

Nordy I am so sorry to hear about your dad My thoughts and prayer are with you and your family. We are getting close and with every day I get more nervous and think is this the right decision. Just second guessing my judgement I think... Ladies have a question... My mom is going with me and she has 1 bad knee and has trouble getting around ie walking distance and getting out of chairs Will she have problems getting around in NOLA My dad is nervous to let her and I go alone He is scared of that and the crime etc..Any of you have those concerns. Maybe I should also say my folks live 12 miles from any red light.. so they are very country, Any suggestions to ease my dads mind

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

Thats helpful about those of you who had issues. I will be taking something these next couple of days to insure I dont have issues before hand. For afterwards I've already packed Miralax, stool softeners and Sennekot. Thanks for the advice.

Today is my last day at work so it's kind of becoming more and more real. Have not been able to sleep at night either- having dreams of traveling nightmares and drainage tubes.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2010

holtbolt, I didn't have much of a problem with a numb butt. Little nerve endings were cut, and they do take their own sweet time to reconnect. My only advice is to shift positions frequently.

Nordy, so sorry to hear about your Dad! What a stressful time. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Anniese--safe travels this weekend. Enjoy some warmth, and please bring some back to us here on the Front Range! We'll get together when you get back to work!

Melinda, I second the motion on Smooth Move tea. I got mine at Whole Foods or Vitamin cottage, but you may be able to find it other places.

Anne

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Melinda - yeah sleeping is an issue right now!  No dreams but wake up thinking of all the stuff I still need to get done!  Getting all that stuff done is wearing me out.  I'm sorta ready for some down time.  What time is your post op appt on the 22nd?  I'm hoping they overlap so we can meet!  I'll be at the center between 9:15 and noon! 

Sally - the only way to see the French Quarter is walking around so that may be a problem but there are places she can sit down and rest.  There are the streetcars which is another way to see the area where she wouldn't have to walk much.  As far as crime - we didn't have any problems but we were told if we were out at night to only go into lighted areas.  My son was with us when we were there and he's a big guy so we didn't have any issues during my consult visit.  Have you seen my PM yet? 

Christy - Thinking about you and hope your doing well!   

• acarr
    acarr Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2010

Holtbolt, I had SGAP with Dr. D in 2005.  I can't remember how long it took for the feeling to come back in my tush, but it did come back. My behind feels quite normal now.  I also had some numbness in my outer thighs and things returned to normal there, also.  

Nordy, I'm so sorry about your father.  I'm going through a similar situation now with my own dad after losing my mom in October.  It's heart wrenching.

I'm one of the NOLA grads who contributed to the original scrapbook and I guess I'm one of the few who did 2 pages...just couldn't convey all I felt on one!  LOL!  I went to a scrapbooking store and bought the pages and plastic covering.  I didn't have any experience in scrapbooking at all.  I put my pages together and mailed it to the girl who was organizing everything and she put the pages in the book for everyone, then mailed it to the Center.  I've not seen the book in person; only photos of it.  I do hope to see it some day and also the book that you girls are putting together!  -- Amy

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010
    Nordy -(((((((hugs)))))))))) and prayers for your Dad and you and your family
  • mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

Quick Question-What are you thoughts experiences with eating the night before? I know you can't eat after midnight, but are there other restrictions? I planned on eating well the night before, but didn't know if this is a good idea?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010
    mileha - all I was told was nothing after midnight.  Was told I could even take sleeping pill if I needed it.  U will talk to dr who will be putting you under at your pre-op appt, I think.....Good Luck!
  • acarr
    edited March 2010

I went out with my family and ate very well the night before my SGAP.  My surgery was at 7 AM so I was told not to eat or drink anything after 8 PM.

• Dejaboo
    edited March 2010

if you are worried about constipation issues.  I think it is better to eat lightly the day before surgery.  (Not sure about this- But I think thats what I have heard)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

My instructions were no food after 9 p.m. and no water after midnight.  I tend to be dehydrated normally, so I always drank a lot of water at 11:58 pm!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Nordy - Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and your dad.

Sally - We have rarely felt unsafe in New Orleans and have been to many different parts of the city. But it's like any big city, you just have to use common sense, especially at night. You will find that the French Quarter is very well patrolled. There is a strong police presence. I would certainly feel comfortable walking around most places in the Quarter alone in the daytime and even alone at night on some of the busier streets, especially on the busier nights of the week and if my hotel was not far-flung. Really, the streets are full of people during the busy times.Tourism is the lifeblood of the city. They worked very hard to get folks coming back after Katrina and continue to work hard making sure folks - and especially tourists - are safe. 

Acarr - Hi! I didn't realize you were one of the old-timers from the first scrapbook, too! It's so cool to be sitting there watching other gals look thru it. It really makes me feel lucky to have been a part of it! So sorry about the loss of your mom such a short time ago.

Those of you Gappers - Did any of you get rid of your derriere drains earlier than like 3 weeks post-op?

• acarr
    edited March 2010

Thanks, Minnesota.  My mom and dad were both in New Orleans with us when I had my surgery in 2005.  Our lives can change so quickly.  

Yes, I'm one of the old timers.  When you're back in NOLA for your upcoming surgery, take another look at the scrapbook so you can put a face to my name...Amy from Alabama. I also feel very privileged to have been a part of the first book.  

I'm afraid I had my hip drains almost 4 weeks.  Dr. D said they had to stay in until they were "spitting dust."  LOL!

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

My pre op appt is 3/14 @ from like 12-3 for the testing and stuff

My post op is 3/22 @ 2:15

I think I MAY be able to get to see anniese, 2Tzus, Macksix6 and Cat! That would be awesome if any of us can manage to check in on the others.

I will be in st charles from 3/16-3/19 and am totally fine with visitors.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

I've been trying all morning to post the picture of Holtbolt and me as my Avtar...not working. I'll keep at it.

those who want to do the scrapbook, lets all agree on a style of "hinge" I would hate to get pages that you bought and find I have a different kind of album. so, let's get on the same "page" on that and I'll coordinate it.

Any of you  SGAP's driving yet? How did you deal with the seatbelt? I'm 2 weeks out of surgery, so I'd like to start getting out.

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Tammy - your going to have to give a little more detail than "hinge" for me, I'm a scrapbook novice and have no idea what your talking about!   Thanks for coordinate it for us! 

It's getting so close!  Looks like there are going to be several of us at St. Charles at the same time.  Nordy mentioned this and I think I'm going to follow suit - put my screen name on my door this way anyone can find me!  I'm up for visitors anytime. 

Looks like I'll get to meet Nordy, Sally, Breastcancer Diva and maybe Melinda, Minnesota & Sandy.  Woo Hoo! 

Minnesota & Sandy - my post op is on the 29th and maybe we can catch each other at the center.  My appt is at 9:15.

Melinda - we'll see about catching each other between appts on the 22nd. 

• phoffa
    phoffa Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2010

Springtime-Thanks for adding me.  Can you adjust it slightly, as I am going for my stage 2.  No desire to relive the stage 1!  Thanks!  Patti