Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Sally, if you have DIEP you will have an ab scar.  Sometimes if the scar isn't as low as you'd like, they are able to lower it at Stage 2.  I don't know if it's always possible--depends on the individual I think.  This definitely isn't an issue for everyone, but occasionally I've seen it come up.

Suzanne

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Marcia - I saw the book when I was there in August and it was still in great shape! BUT, that was 6 months ago... LOL, but I can give you an update in a couple of weeks.

Who asked about delaying stage 2??? I delayed mine only because I had to have another surgery in between (unrelated) and I really do think, at least for me, that the delay was beneficial. I had a rather large area of fat necrosis (about 7cm) in my left breast, which is now almost completely soft. At 3 months, it wasn't. So, in that respect - I am glad that it was delayed... but on the other hand, I sure would have liked to have it over and done with before the new year rolled around!!!

Christy - positive thoughts for you tomorrow!!!! You go girl!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Garden District - Getting a map of this area would be very helpful if you are going to do a walking tour.  We stayed in this area after surgery, and took a few days to complete a self-guided walking tour. We'd walk a ways and when I was getting tired, we'd stroll down to St Charles Ave to wait for the streetcar. It worked out well. Also, on the streetcar line going west from the Center is a Borders, if you just want to relax, have coffee, and look through a few books.  We never did make it all the way down to Tulane, but that's our goal when we return in April. If you're not post-surgical, and area  quick walker, you could probably enjoy the tour in about 2 hours.  It's easily broken down into halves.  If you need to take the streetcar getting back to Nola, allow at least 40 minutes, since they don't run on a schedule, and you'll just have to wait for the next one to come.  http://www.frommers.com/destinations/neworleans/0020020034.html 

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

What to do in the hospital - I brought a sudoku book along and for the life of me, I could not figure out any of the answers, even on the easiest ones, and with giving myself all kinds of clues.  Just could not process it. I tried and tried.  We watched a little tv (very little).  Mostly, when I felt awake enough, we strolled the halls.  It is quite an effort to get up and out of bed initially.  And then you have to decide what you want for your next meal.  With a foggy brain, that can be quite a decision all on it's own :)  At first, the nurses are in and out a lot, so you don't really get good sleep.  When their routine slows down the next day, you're really ready for some good sleep. Sleeping is very good.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

All you guys - thanks so much for the support the other night. I actually got thru all of yesterday and today with only my eyes filling up - no tears spilling down my cheeks. Progress! You are all so great!

Plus, I got all the results back from my BRCA, etc. tests today - even the really expensive ones - and there is NOTHING. Yeah!!!!!!!

CCBaby! Good luck on Wednesday! Glad you liked the album. Glad you liked the page! I'm thinkin' of ya!

Marcia - I saw the album in November. It has seen better days, even tho Christy thinks it still looks good. I'll be seeing it again in a few weeks. Gulp. Anyway, as I recall, some of the pages were tearing out - those little holes. I'm not sure how we'd fix these. I'll look carefully and see what I can figure out since I'll be there so looooooooong!

Springtime - I'm so sorry that your tummy muscle tightening didn't work out as you'd hoped. I feel partly responsible, since I raved about it so much. It could still be that there is some swelling, tho, especially if you think it's bigger now. I don't remember now when I noticed the difference, tho. Wish I did. For me, before the tightening, my abdomen kind of tented out slightly, was definitely not flat. After the tightening, it is soooo flat, even concave a bit!

Pam - Congratulations on your anniversary! That is so great! We have to get together - I'll drive!

Sandy - Dinner and/or drinks after the Swamp tour? Our plane doesn't get in 'til 5:30 on that Sunday. And do you think Dr. D would let me bring Harold to the hospital? He helps me retain what little sanity I have! Harold, I mean.

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited March 2010

Minn is Harold your puppy?  LOL!

Good luck CC!  yippee!

Suzanne, I think by the time I went back for stage 2(at 10 weeks) I was not protecting my abd incision as much..less time after stage 2 not sure why....or maybe I have already forgotten ?

As for stuff to do during your hospital stay.  Gosh I was looking thru my journal etc to try to find something else........my stage 1 was 5.5 hrs(immediate- so PBM plus DIEP).  I remember waking up when they transferred me back to rec room...I couldn't believe they were DONE!.  then I slept, and slept but don't remember a thing(thank you demerol and phenergan)...I had no nausea and very little pain.  I was sure the urinary cath would bother me and it didn't, but of course I was happy to have it out.  I think I was pretty SNOWED but in a good way! all of almost 3 days....I do remember waking up, asking questions washing my face brushing my teeth and signing consents, having blurry vision from scopolamine and going back to sugery the first night.  Then several people, Dr. D, Dr. Lagarde, Sally popping in the next day saying they heard I had to go back and get blood, or dr. D accusing me of going for double EE and 'curse of the nurse'.  But honestly I was NEVER uncomfortable...just know I probably slept better those few days than I had since I'd been diagnosed w/ BC almost a year before. I made my first journal entry online on the 25th and surgery was 9/22. After that entry on 9/25 I was more awake BUT taking lortab.  I had a computer, and cell phone and that was all I needed.  I slept or visited w/ whomever came by in between.  I have said over an over....I was so busy at work and not sleeping so well before surgery for the month or 2 before.  I was exhausted and very grateful for the rest I had after....and your body just needs to rest.  I had 2 or 3 books and articles to read but pretty sure I didn't because I just didn't want to get so absorbed in anything except savoring the moment, the place and all the peole around me who were making it happen.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Minnesota, of course, we can get together Sunday night!  Can't wait to see you!  If Dr. D allows Harold in St. Charles, then I get to bring Tybalt, our Siamese cat.  He's been lonely since my daughter moved out.  LOL, he's probably much bigger than your dog, and would probably think Harold is a gopher. 

I have an idea.  I promised Liz, Katie and Celeste over a year ago that I would make a scrapbook page for the book.  Why don't we do a bc.org book with all of us from this thread?   Everyone makes a page, and one of us can put it together!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010
    Marcia and Minn...I didn't pay a lot of attention to what needs fixing on the album, I was enjoying looking at the pics instead, lol. But, yes, the holes on a couple of the pages need  repair, but other than that, it is in good shape.
  • Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

So Christy is Dr. S going to do everything that you wanted done ?? 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2010

Minnesota, I once had a cat named Harold. Sure hope your Harold is also a cat - wouldn't want some poor unsuspecting puppy to get a complex, now.

Leah

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

For those who have already had stage 2 - did you ask the doctor about lipo and weight gain or did they mention it?  I had someone tell me that if you gain weight after lipo that the extra weight won't go to the area you had lipo in but would go to other parts of the body and could possible cause lumps.  I did some research and discovered that this could happen.  That when you have lipo that you basically need to maintain a healthly diet and exercise program to keep the weight off and avoid possible problems.  This doesn't necessary happen to everyone but wanted to see if anyone knows of anyone who had weight gain after lipo and how it effected them. 

Sandy - I like that idea about a book from us! 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010
    Jamie, yes, he is! Woo hoo!
  • Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

Arrg! I am gettign so freakin excited I can't handle it lol! And i read all of your posts and i see the great results you guys have and then i cant wait for stage 2 lol.

In one week I will be waking up to my new foobs!

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Awesome Christy then he will not look at me like a freak when I start begging...lol....

Melinda~ I am so excited for you :)

Sandy~ Would love to make a scrapbook page but I have no idea where to start....

My butt is still a waterbed.....I am going to be going to stage 2 in a compression garment... :( 

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

CCbaby! Good luck with Stage 2 tomorrow! You're almost finished!

Minn, Sandy, & Co. - I'm arriving in NOLA around 5:00 pm on 3/28 too and would love to join yuo ladies in the evening!Breast Cancer Topic: NOLA in September?

And I'm betting that Harold is Minn's giant imaginary rabbit . . . can't wait to meet him too.

• Leah_S
    edited March 2010

No, no laughlines! The giant imaginary rabbit is HARVEY. And he can go where he wants. He visits with me from time to time....

Leah

• Leah_S
    edited March 2010

Melinda, best of luck. I hope your surgery goes smoothly.

Leah

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

I would LOVE To make a scrapbook page!!

It's approaching my twin's one year birthday!  I can't believe the time has flown by so quickly.

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

ok, so after freakin out again last night about the no food at hope lodge, my hubby and i are getting a hotel for the time after surgery fri-mon. We're staying at the Clarion.

Did anyone else stay there? Just wondered about what's close to it and all that

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

We stayed at the Clarion for a couple nights.  The rooms have a tiny fridge and a microwave, so you can do simple foods.  You'll not feel like going out for every meal.  The hotel is on top of a restaurant, so that's an option for dinner.  After surgery, I found their portions to be enormous. When I felt well, we tended to be gone - either walking, or slowly touring the city with lots of rests. We ate in the French Quarter several times.

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

If I remember the Clarion is really close to the center :)  If it is where I think it is then it is right near the street car also.  It is honestly an easy city to get around IMO. 

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

Hey Christy!  It was GREAT meeting you and your dh--really helped the time fly by! Enjoy the aquarium and know that you have lots of folks pulling for you tomorrow...

We didn't get to see Dr. S until 2 hours after our appointment time so we didn't leave the Center until after 6:00 pm for our 7:30 flight--and I was reallly sweating it for a while.  Our limo driver did some very creative maneuvering--with rain and rush hour--and we made our flight...it was helpful to have the wheel chair--it expedited security so everything ended up great.

Thanks to all who worked on the FORCE scrapbook--I agree with Christy--looks great, only a few pages need hole reinforcing. I LOVE the idea of doing another book--and would totally contribute a page and towards costs...I think it really helps people who are nervous and trying to decide to hear such great testimony!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2010

Cat1, regarding the lipo--it only makes sense that fat can come back. Not every fat cell in those areas was taken. So, it behooves one to eat right and exercise if one wants to keep the fat away.

I see the lipo procedure as a real gift. And it gave me that jump-start to change up my exercise routine and clean up my act with food. I would hate to look back a few years from now and kick myself for letting it come back.

Keeping fat off is HARD work for most of us. Especially with menopause and medications.

Anne

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Anne - yeah, tell me about it.  I'm wanting to lose a few lbs now but it won't come off.  I'm just maintaining where I'm at which makes me wonder that if I wasn't trying that I'd probably be gaining weight right now.  I'm on Arimidex and that can make you gain weight so I think that's my problem.  The future and as we get older is what makes me worry about the weight coming back and where it would come back. 

Sara - did you have to wait for the wheelchair or had you already requested it and it was waiting for you?  Glad you made it home!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

We stayed at the Clarion after surgery.  It was in a great location--just a couple of blocks from the Center and right on the streetcar line.  There is a Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro below the hotel which was fun and we ate there for convenience at couple of times.  Across the street is a Melting Pot which we loved.  We also took the streetcar into town.

We found the hotel to be clean and everyone to be nice.  They have a small continental breakfast in the morning, microwave and fridge in room.  When I made the res I mentioned the Center and they upgraded us to a King suite for $89/night (great price) which had a hot tub in the room.  Of course we can't use the hot tub, but my daughter tried it out just for fun.

All in all I would recommend the Clarion--great price, clean, good location and restaurants (very) close by.

Suzanne

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

Hey girls I'm home and trying to put in to words the weird Oscner experience I had. Dr. D is waiting to get my Email so he can follow up withthem, he's SO pissed about how they neglecticted me.

Anyway, I noticed the scrapbook is a Creative  Memories album (I used to teach the classes) and I asked about adding a page of my own to it. They said OH yes, we'd love that. But, Now that you have all agreed, perhaps we should put together our own. However,if it's too confusing to coordinate, the Center is open to us ADDING to the exisitng album. any thoughts on this?

Also, I have a cute picture of HoltBolt and me (day after her Phase 1) but I don't know how to post it for you to see.

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

thansk suzanne, it sounds perfect for what we wanted, just close to things so we can walk around and eat whenever.

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2010

Melinda - when do you arrive in New Orleans?

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

I'm flying in on sunday staying at hope lodge 3/14-3/16, St Charles 3/16-3/19, Clarion 3/19-3/23

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2010

Trainertam - Trishia posted a pic on this thread before; maybe she could tell you how.