Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010
    Wow... yes.. busy week next week... good luck mid-March ladies!!!  We are all rooting for ya! (ok, that reminded me of Leslie Nielson in the movie Airplane).... lol... or did he say we are all counting on ya... anyway... GOOD LUCK!!! Smile
  • Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Wow it looks like a really busy week next week :)  I am wishing all of you ladies the best.

J-Lo was drained and much to my local PS surprise and my own she was only able to get 10CC's out so now I apparantly have started desolving the fluid so the large seroma is now divided.  After trying for about 5 min. the PS said that we should just let my body absorb the fluid.  I talked to Celeste afterwards and I only need to wear the compression for one more week :)  I am very excited. 

For anyone that is having a mini tummy tuck I was told today to expect drains :( but for a maximum of 2 weeks.  I have decided that I am going to do whatever options that I can during stage 2 :)

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

LOL Jamie...J-Lo....well, 10 cc's isn't much, so it's good they said just to let your body absorb it.  That is so much easier and less stressful than having to get it drained.  Are you going to wear another type of compression garmet after the week?  I'm trying to figure out whether I should invest in some spanx or assets or whatever for when I am finished with my binder.  A couple of weeks of drains for the mini TT seems worth it.  I wonder if I'll need drains for just lowering the scar?  Hmmmm...well, either way it's worth it if he can do it.

Best of luck to everyone who is scheduled for next week in NOLA!  The time will fly by after your surgery!  I feel like I was just there and Tuesday will already be 3 weeks out!  Amazing!

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

I am wearing a compression garment called Control IT that I bought from both TJ Max and Marshalls and it is awesome.  Today I have just the panty one on and it looks like a pair of underwear to just under your new twins :).  It works awesome and was not a lot of $.  I am thinking that the couple weeks with drains will be more than worth it. 

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2010

Wow ladies!   I can't believe it!   So many of us will be in NOLA at the same time!  

My husband and I will arrive on 3/23, for surgery at 7:00 AM on 3/25.    We will be staying at the Homewood Suites both before and after surgery until 3/30.    I really hope I get to meet all of you!

I will post a sign on my door at SCSH - come visit.  

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Two appts today - one with PS to drain an egg sized seroma behind my abdominal incision, which has not gone away.  After 3 tries, no results. Still, I have a very noticeable bump sitting there.  I'm scheduled with radiology next Friday for an ultrasound guided draining, with a possible drain put in.  They want to sedate me for that, but I cannot emotionally handle anymore sedation knowing I'll be sedated Apr 21 for Stage 2.  I'm grumping about this right now. Not wanting to go to that appt. Celeste told me to wait and see how it goes for the next few days.

Second appointment was for lymphatic drainage (massage).  I have had a feeling of puffiness and swelling in my right forearm and upper arm for about 3 weeks now, and have been visiting a lymphedema therapist.  My arm does not look puffy, but it feels puffy.  Massage has helped. Ordered a compression sleeve and gauntlet for upcoming travel. Grumping about this, too.  A grumpy day, a grumpy phase, no doubt. 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

CC Baby; Did you just have phase 2? I'm scheduled for May 25 (phase 2) and the next day May 26 Tattoos twith  Don, (I'm opting for NO nipples to be rebuilt)Just wondering how much you had done, I too want to have as much done as I can handle and Dr. D will do.

Scrapbookers: How about if everyone lets me know if you have a Michaels near you. I'll go to mine, scout out a standard page that will fit and that way we will all be"on the same page" with our new book. If we can get it together before I leave in May I'll hand carry it there.

Also. For my phase 1  I took a can of individually wrapped prunes and a bottle of dulcolax. 2 little prunes seemed to work fine, I never needed anything else. The nurse at NOLA was funny about it she said " No one has ever said anything about being concerned over a BM before" I was laughing thinking of all the talk we do on here about it!

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2010

HI Ladies

So, has anyome else had this happen?

About two days ago i developed what looks like rash on the under side of one of my new girls, under the flap area, but covering most of the under breast. It is not hot, i am not ill, I went to my local PS who has been draining my seromas and he doesn;t think it looks like an infection or a rash. he thinks it looks like a really large bruise, but he prescribed an antibiotic anyway. I did not start any new cream or wear a bra or do anything unusual that I am aware of, i and i did not do anything to cause a brusie that I am aware of either, so I have no idea what it is.

However, it was nice to see the PS when he wasn't looking at my butt.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010
    Trainertam.. Yes, I had Stage 2. Here is what I had done by Dr S...Nipple on left breast, implant and lift in my healthy breast, implant in my flap breast, port removed, a big mole that was between my butt cheeks removed (I figured that since he was there, he might as well remove it for me) and lipo on my love handles, hips, thighs and behind knees. So, yes I had quite a bit done. He did not mind doing all of it for me. The surgery was 4 hours and I was in recovery for 3 hours.
  • sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

Wow Christy! You looked great before, you are going to be HOT! HOT! HOT!  I really liked your dh, and I'm sure he will be pleased as well!

My dh is so proud of himself--he took out a drain today and wanted to be sure I posted about the good job he did! LOL -- it was a piece of cake. Only one drain left and it will probably come out next week...When I had the GAP they were in for 7 1/2 weeks. This time my drains from my tail and hip flaps came out my abdomen. (I have the scar around the entire middle deal--Dr. S said it would look like I was a magician's assistant who got cut in half and he was right!) Anyway, he said he wanted the drains out at two weeks regardless of output--I don't quite understand, but I'm not complaining!

Fabulous tip on post lipo bruising...I had kinesio-taping done on my back which was severely swollen and bruised...it felt some better right away and the huge bruise was GONE in 24 hours.

TMI tip about constipation...when all else fails, those blue rubber gloves can do amazing things.

Best of luck to everyone who is coming up next week--it's a great idea to put names on the doors!

God bless you Nordy--you and your family are in our prayers....

Peace,

Sara

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

I really cant believe that we will all be in NOLA so soon. I am obsessively rechecking my packing and making sure i have everything. And then I think there is nothing that i have to have there (besides my laptop) so i'm not sure what I'm getting so obsessive about. My anxiety coming out I guess.

Started the colace today, so hopefully I have that covered. Now tomorrow I have a big day of snuggling with the DH and doing absolutely nothing planned. I'm not scared per se about the surgery but everything that else that comes with it. Trying to take deep breaths and not freak out!

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2010

I was wondering if you can get volume added at stage 2?  After all the swelling has gone away seems like the girls have deflated leaving me with not quite the size I was expecting.

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

Sarab - what is kinesio-taping?

Congrats to your dh for braving the world of drain removal.  He's got something to be proud of!

Melinda - You sound very organized. It is so true that most of what you pack you won't really need.  I packed heavy on the comfort stuff - lip gloss, fav lotions, eye drops, etc.  I was very glad for those.  Aside from that, I thought I'd packed light, but still I didn't use all I packed.  Good luck to you!

CC- is 3 hours in recovery usual?  Did you have some difficulties which required your staying there longer?

Trainer - I like your idea of using materials from Michaels, so we can have pages readily available to all.  Thanks for thinking of that.

Next week's ladies - thinking of you, knowing that you'll be well cared for, and loving your results in no time! 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

KC...I don't know if it is the usual amount of time, I just know that the needed to get my temperature back up because I was very cold (they said the operating room was cold) and they wanted me to sleep. At Stage 1, I was in recovery for 2 hours.

Brenda...I wanted more volume too, and that is why I got an implant.

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

I was told that they could make you about 1/2 a cup size bigger at stage 2. This is what made me say get them as big as you can with what was at my donor site. I knew an implant would not be an option for me because of my reaction to them last time.

• HelloFromCT
    edited March 2010

Jamie, how do they do that?  With lipo fat transfer?  I am actually fine with the size I am, but I do want some shaping/lifting at stage 2.  I am surprised at the weight of the flap breasts--much heavier and more 'solid' than the originals!

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

CT - I agree that my flaps are heavier than my original breasts.  They took me almost a full size bigger than I was before, and I really feel the difference in heaviness.  I will be going smaller at Stage 2.  For me, if I stayed this big, I'd be ultra-saggy in no time!!  Just too much for me!

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Christy - glad your doing good! 

Tammy - Sounds good - I've got a Michael's and can get whatever we need.  I checked out scrapbooking supplies today.  I've decided to attempt to put one together for my journey thru BC.  From start to finish! 

I started gathering stuff together today.  Leave one week from tomorrow!  A little anxious but not scared!  Having those weird dreams now! 

Best wishes for those up next week! 

• HelloFromCT
    edited March 2010

KC I'm about the same size as pre-surgery, but with the different fat consistency, they are much heavier.  I am slightly bigger on one side so I'll have that one made smaller.  I'll be more than happy with that.  But I agree with you about the saggy factor.  I'm sure the heavier they are, the sooner they'll sag.  Makes you think....   :-)

We are having hurricane-like weather here today.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the power doesn't go out.  Also, we have this one giant evergreen tree out front that is really swaying in the wind.  I just hope it stays put!

• HelloFromCT
    edited March 2010

Well, the tree came down!!!  I am so sad for this big beautiful tree!  It fell in the parking lot into the (empty) space right next to my car.  I am grateful that it didn't fall ON my car, but it is a sad sight to see a big tree like that brought down by the wind.

So far the power is still on, thank heaven.

Hope everybody is doing well today!  Thinking of all the NOLA ladies!

Suzanne

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2010

I used my camisole after I got home.  It works well with the binder.  The binder needs something under it so that it does not rub against the skin.  Also, the little velcro pockets will stick to the binder and you don't have to have that dang belt.  When I wore spanks or a panty girdle, I pinned the pockets to a wife beater T shirt that I wear 24/7.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

Ladies I have yet another question. I have spoken with Katie several times and Mercy Medical is providing my moms and my flight They were waiting for clearance from my Primary to fly. My Primary faxed info out ASAP on Wednesday. I have not heard from Katie since then at which she said all will taken care of after they get the clearence. Well I am to be in NOLA next monday and am getting nervous because I dont have my flight yet.. Should I be nervous or do I trust Katie that all will fall into place. And to HELLO FROM CT I work as a 411 operator for Verizon and if you still have power you are very lucky. Alot of Long Island Westchester and NJ are without power. Worked OT tonight because so many calling National Grid PSEG and other elec companys In Upstate NY we did not get the storm. I think I just need to stay calm and remember the final product will be well worth it. Lately it seems like I have just been eating everything instead of trying to eat healthy not sure if it is just nerves or the fact that I quit smoking for this surgery.. Any insight ladies

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

2tzus, you will be given everything you need for the immediate post-op period, as determined by your surgeon.  They seem to have slightly different preferences.

sallym, Katie is very efficient with these things and you can trust her.  I know one patient who was recuperating as Katrina approached, and because no major carriers were available, the Center arranged a jet for her, paid for by the doctors.   They won't leave you stranded!

• HelloFromCT
    edited March 2010

Sally, it's a miracle that we didn't lose power.  It's been a long time since I've seen such high winds.  We have tons of trees down in town, and some areas of the city are without power, but we are still okay for the time being.

I wouldn't worry about the flight, but maybe call first thing Monday and speak with Katie.

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2010

Greetngs

I am closing in on one month with my seroma draining, with no end in sight. I'd like to hear by PM from anyone who had long standing seromas--how did you get them to resolve and did they have to reinsert drains? also, how frequently were you getting them drained?

Thanks.

Margit

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

I second that katie is fabulous!

What is the shortest amount of time that you can do between nipples and tatoo's ?? 

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

It has taken me three weeks to read all the posts on this thread. Talk about a wealth of knowledge and experience. I was hoping to remember enough not to ask questions that have already been covered, but chemo brain will probably mess with that. My last chemo (neoadjuvant) was four weeks ago and I am still foggy.

I have my first consult with Dr. Sullivan at 3:30 tomorrow and Dr. Lagarde at 4. I am looking at a bimx w/immediate recon. I will let Dr. S decide from which site to harvest (at 5'4" and 164 lbs, he should have lots of choices).  I have no idea when my surgery will be, but Liz said it would be at Fairway. She initially said either Ochsner or Fairway and I asked for Fairway after what Tammy went through.

I am bouncing back and forth between gratitude for being able to wake up and still have "breasts" with the beginning of a resculpted body at the hands of one of the best and tears and panic over this next phase of my tx. Having chemo first gave me valuable time to avoid two major surgeries and discover DIEP and NOLA as an option, but it also delayed reality (although my hair falling out was a pretty good clue, too Tongue out).

Okay, so here's an actual question. For anyone who had nipple conserving, was there any feeling left in the nipple afterward? I think I might qualify for it on my proffy side, but, if there is no feeling anyway, might forego that if it will make matching fipples easier. 

Thanks for everything all of you have shared.

Sue

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

Sue, I had nipple sparing and have had only Stage 1.  I kept both nipples.  I am surprised that I have pretty good sensation on my general breast skin.  However, areolas and nipples are entirely numb at this point (8 wks post).  At the present, numbness is also outside areola by about an inch all around.  You have a nipple sparing option if your location is quite a ways from the nipple.  They can explain their precautions to you and then you can think on it.  I could not decide at my appt, so Dr. S told me to tell him on the morning of?  He wrote himself a note on my tummy - "NS?"- so we would still discuss it.  Not an easy decision.  None of it is.  In the end, go with what gives you peace and you'll be ok.  It's all workable.

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

kschreve and interested others; Kinesio taping is a tape with special properties that is used most often in sports medicine...In fact some olympians were sporting it a few weeks ago. It has a lot of helpful applications--one of them being dealing with lymphadema and bruising and swelling from lipo...it also is good for scar healing and helped reduce my fat necrosis.  It has GREATLY enhanced my recovery...For more info;

www.medicine.net.com/kinesio_tape/article.htm

To find a practioner: 

www.kinesiotaping.com

I am doing well...my recovery is night and day different than last time and my girls are looking good. Praise God! I now can say its all going to be worth it.!!!

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Can we use the kinesio tape ??  I was told nothing until after stage 2 but I would love to "help" my scars minimize if I could.