Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Hi everyone,

How long after surgery did you switch out of the black NOLA bra to a sports or other type bra, and does anyone have any recommendations as to what works well?  I was told by Dr. D's nurse that they want us to wear the black NOLA bra for 4 weeks.

How long before you feel swelling went down significantly?  Mine has gone down but I still have a lot in my upper abs--it feels very hard and weird.  It's exactly as Spring said--looks more smooth and all, but still bigger because of swelling.  Very strange ... LOL!

Sue, good luck with your appointment tomorrow!  Don't hesitate to ask Dr. S any questions, including the one about NS and feeling afterward, etc.  I'm sure he will be able to give you answers.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

I had to switch out of the garment as soon as I got home and until then I had to use ABD pads all over.  I was allergic to the bra band.  Dr S told me that I could go without one but I didn't feel right without one.

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

Thanks kc and Suzanne. I am a nervous wreck and this is just the consult. I hate to think what I would be like if I was seeing someone who didn't have so many loving, grateful testimonials.

Now if I only I don't turn bright red remembering all Dr. S's nicknames when I meet him...

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Jamie the bra band is very irritating, especially when wearing it 24/7.  I always have pads or something underneath or it feels way too tight (even though it isn't).  When I asked I was told to wear it for 4 weeks...   Wow, Dr. S said you could go without a bra?  I don't think I'd feel right without one either....at least not < 3 weeks out.

Sue don't worry it will go just fine.  LOL re: Dr. S's nicknames.  Well, what can I say?  He was not my primary and I only met him at rounds, but I never thought of the names at the time!  You'll be okay!!  hahaha!!!!!!!

• Jill_45
    Jill_45 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2010

It has been quite awhile since I last posted on here after my diep on Dec 1st. I had so many problems with seromas that had to keep being drained and then last Friday while I was at my PS he noticed a big seroma in my stomach and it had to be drained. Wow, this is 3 months later and now I have to go back next Friday and if there is more fluid he said he wants to put a drain back in.

Anyway I have a new concern but maybe it isn't but I am wondering if anyone has had a lump at the base of the cleavage (by the bottom of the bra). It seems to be quite prominent. I don't think it is supposed to be there. Maybe I am a little to worried these days.......Any advice.

Thanks

Jill.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

I more week ... nervous, excited,and scared That about sums it up. Prayers and thoughts to call .. Nordy how is your dad doing?? Hope well he has been in my prayers..

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2010

I had the areola sparing surgery (nipples with ducts removed) and I am sorry to say that there is no feeling. I have good feeling throughout the breast skin but not in that area. Unfortunately nipples or not you will lose that sensual feeling that you had in the nipples.

Jill I have a few small areas that I can feel hardness and I think that is the area where the flaps have been attached. I will check that out this week when I am at Nola.

Well I did all my pedi/mani/waxing today and most of my laundry so I guess I am pretty much set. I fly in late Tues. night with my sister and the journey continues. Hope to come calling on a few of the stage 1 gals. Good luck with your surgeries.

Stephanie

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

Jamie--I did scar taping at 8 weeks after stage 1--but I had the bruised/swollen lipo area taped a week after stage II.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

BON VOYAGE Sue! Tomorrow is just the beginning of what I know will be the first day of your new "normal" and journey back to health. This is so EXCITING and I couldnt be happier for you.Please give my best regards to Liz ,Katie,Celeste and Dr S. I look forward to hearing about your consults...

Warm encouraging hugs,marcia :))

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Calming happy thoughts to you,Sally!

PS I think I have seen you on the FORCE site? Same screen name there "Soccermom"

,Marcia

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Anniese, Melinda413, Macksix6, Bobbie, 2Tzus - Oh my gosh! So many of you the same week, and so many of you with Dr. McSteamy! Good luck to all of you! Be sure to let us know how you're doing, because we'll all be wondering every single day of the week!

BCDiva - Will you be able to get together with us for dinner in NOLA on the 28th? Sorry if you already said you would, I just can't remember and we all know we can't go back and check, once we've started typing, since then we lose everything!

Tammy - I have a Michael's! And BTW, it's "Donn." Two Ns!

Welcome Sueinfl! - You probably won't fall in love with Dr. McSteamy until after he does your first surgery, so you probably won't blush upon meeting him the first time!

Macksix - Pleo sister! I'm coming up on ya fast! Just missed you. My thoughts are with you!

Can't believe I'll be back at NOLA in only 2 weeks. This is soooo different, this go-round... Oh, thanks to you who answered my "How long with drains post GAP?" question. No less than 3 weeks, "Until they're spitting dust," someone said. (Again, can't check back) I got it! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Hi Everybody!!! Thank you SO much for all of your thoughts and prayers... God must have been listening because my dad is doing so much better than expected! He was lucky enough to go to a hospital that was able to administer TPA within three hours of his stroke. This drug is basically a heavy duty clot buster and because of this, he is making a remarkable recovery already. He initially could not move his right side at all - he now has almost normal movement and strength in his right arm/leg and his sitting balance is completely normal. Now the biggest obstacle he has to face is speech and swallowing. He was not been able to talk at all - but yesterday he said, "I love you" as well as "Hi" and "Bye". He is being fed via NG (through his nose) tube right now and they are talking PEG (in through his stomach) if his swallowing does not improve. Let me just tell you, this was a trip with many emotions - and lots of tears and... believe it or not, laughter. My dad has such a great sense of humor and when I walked in at 9:00 that night after driving all day, I said I left the kids with my husband at the hotel, but luckily I was able to bring the "twins" and pointed at my new girls. I had the entire room in hysterics and embarassed my brother so badly that he left... teehheeee... that was fun! Innocent

Anyway, my new breasts were quite the topic of conversation and since I don't live near my side of the family, this is the first they were seeing them. They were good for laughs (ie when I tell someone to kiss my *ss they will have to figure out which one I am talking about; and if my husband wants to grab my butt - he has four places to choose from... ;). I got a LOT of compliments... and not only for my breasts, but how it has changed me. In this, I mean that my family said I just seem so much happier (not that I thought I was unhappy not having breasts- but apparantly it showed to everyone else). SO - it was a longggg drive (9 hours each way) - but so worth it and I am so glad that although he has a long rehab road ahead of him, my dad is doing better!

Okay, to everyone this week: Anniese, 2Tzus, Melinda, Stephanie and Bobbie - you go girls!!!! We are all here rooting for you! I can't wait to hear how everyone does!

Christy - I am so glad that you are happy and got your wish list filled!

Margit - I think I had PM'd you about my drains before - i will have to recheck - but can't tonight. After being on the road all day I am ready to sleep. Talk to you tomorrow!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Nordy, SO good to hear from you. I was talking to 2Tzus tonight and we were wondering about you. Sounds like all of the prayers for your dad were answered in a big way! We'll continue to pray for complete recovery for him. I assume this means that your surgery is a go. I have not heard from anyone else for the swamp tour so we may end up going by car rather than the tour bus.

Minnesota, have you thought more about where to have dinner? Have any of you been to Cafe Giovanni?

Sara, how wonderful that your recovery is going so well!!!

Hi Jill! I think that any time we notice a concerning lump or bump, it's better to err on the side of caution and consult our breast surgeon or onc. I'm sorry about the seromas, but glad to hear that your doctor is not just wishfully thinking they'll go away on their own, which can lead to more trouble.

Anniese, 2Tzus, Melinda, Stephanie and Bobbie----lots of thoughts and prayers for all of you!

• sunandsandgirl
    sunandsandgirl Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2010

sueinflu

I had bilateral skin and nipple sparing.  I have sensation in my skin, but no sensation in the nipples. It is interesting that the nipples still respond to touch and cold even though I do not feel them.  Good Luck with your decision.  

Best wishes to all having surgery this week.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Sue, I will add you to the listing above, but not quite sure of your date. ??

I had nipple sparing on one side, areola sparing on the other. Both sides still "contract" and "relax". I had rebuilt nipple on the one side. Looks exactly like the other, I can't believe it! Just need a bit of a tatto to round out that areaola now (some of the areola was used to build the nipple). 

I am in a fog losing this one hour of sleep ladies! If I missed anybody, PM me.

Spring. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Pam posted this earlier, (Thanks Pam) but doing it again! Lost happening this week...

Mar 15 - Anniese - Stage 2/3. (Dr M) NOLA. St. Charles Surgical

Mar 15 - Sueinfl - Stage 1 consult (DIEP or GAP?), Not sure of exact surgery date, Bilateral, Dr. S, NOLA. Fairway Hospital.

Mar 16 - Melinda413 - Delayed BiLateral DIEP, Dr S., NOLA.

Mar 17 - 2Tzus - Bilateral DIEP. Dr. S., NOLA, Fairway Hospital

Mar 18 - Macksix6 (Stephanie) - Stage 2, NOLA.

Mar 19 - Bobbie (Sandy's friend), Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

I checked into hope lodge yesterday and I'm impressed with it! Yes it's not in the nice downtown area but for what it is (free for cancer patients) its pretty amazing. I met a young woman here close to my age who is on the exact same schedule as me so that was pretty great.

Im getting ready for my appointment to see the Drs today and Im very nervous. In the back of my head I keep thinking that maybe when I see him he ill tell me i cant do the surgery like all the other dr's i've seen.

and my mother is driving me crazy. She's not saying anything in general and last night I asker her if she still thought the surgery was a bad idea and she said I've said my peace and we're not talking about it anymore. Which i took to mean she still thinks it s a bad idea. Ugg whatever.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Melinda~ You will feel so much better after today's test and meeting Dr S or Dr D.  I promise you it is better once you actually meet them and you have a plan.  It is almost like chemo the not knowing is VERY, VERY difficult.  As for your Mom she is just nervous and she will feel better after she meets everyone the center will really take care of her also. 

Nordy~ I am SO, SO happy that your Dad is doing better. 

Spring~ I am another one that is stuggling to get up to speed with the time change. 

Not sure if I put this here BUT I got the clearance last week to start exercising.  My only restriction was that I had to take it easy.  This is the first time in 14 months that I have been able to lift over 10lbs and actually get back into running and things that I love to do.  Running with the new girls is different then the old bitty girls.  A REALLY, REALLY good sports bra is a must...lol...  Anyhow I get to run for the next month and then I get a break.  I am so happy that I had this surgery when and where I did.  :)  Sorry for the rambling......

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Nordy - so glad to hear about your Dad!  Great news! 

Sue - welcome!  This is a great bunch of ladies full of information and support! 

Melinda - hang in there girl!   Tomorrow is the big day! 

Thinking of all those up this week! 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

Nordy - so so glad to hear about your dad and his progress... I'm sure seeing you was huge for his recovery ..... yay!

Melinda - good luck .. Jen at the Hope Lodge is a sweetheart... did you meet her?  She offered to drop us off at the streetcar line so we could get out a little.... the staff there is great!  I'm sorry you don't feel 100% support from mom..... I think she may get on board when she witnesses the care & sees the facility, etc. ... but if not.. come back in here and often... we'll be in here....there is no other support like the support you get from people who have experienced the same thing... sometimes as much as family wants to.. they can't put themselves in our situations.. they just can't do it.....

Sue - Welcome!!! I swear I feel like I talked to you on some other thread.. chemo thread or something?

Good luck everyone who is up this week!  Keep us posted if you're up to it. ! Laughing

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Nordy- So happy to hear the Good news about your Dad!

Melinda- Im sorry your Mom isnt supporting your decision.  That does not make it easier to have the surgery.  Remember that the surgery is for YOU!  Not her & we all support you!

Good Luck to all the ladies this week!  Check in when you can.

Pam

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Melinda - I'm sorry about your mom, but I also think she'll come around once she meets the doctors.  I can relate to a mom! This must be very hard for her to understand, and she'll be worried about you no matter what you do! It's just a mother's lot in life, and because she loves you so much! Really, it's way better than a mom who's indifferent.My guess is that, once this is done with, and she sees you've come thru the surgery okay, she will become as passionate an advocate for your decision as you've had to be.

Nordy - that is wonderful news about your dad!!!!! And I'm so glad that the twins were able to provide some much needed (I'm sure!) comic relief as well as letting everyone see how great you're looking and feeling! Thanks so much for describing the scene, it was beautiful.

Jaimie - Ha! I'm chuckling over how much you're enjoying exercising with the new big girls!

Sandy - I don't think I know that restaurant, but I totally trust your opinion! 

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2010

Nordy,

I am so happy about your Dad. 

Melinda,

Your mom is scared for you. She also does not know what kind of effect no breast has on a person.  I did not realize it myself until I had the surgery.  I feel like I have a fresh start at life.  Good luck.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2010

Nordy, I'm so glad to hear the good news abut your dad. I'm still praying for him.

Melinda, I think what you've got with your mom is about a good as you'll get. She's probably extremely worried - but that's her job as your mom! Concentrate on the fact that's she's helping you and supporting  you despite her own fears. I have 6 kids and I can tell you that just because they grow up you don't stop worrying abou them (my oldest is 32). Best of luck with your surgery!

Leah

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

Nordy~that is awesome about your Dad! 

Melinda~Once your mom meets the docs and the nurses her tune will change.  And if it doesn't, then remember that you are doing this for YOU.  Although it is nice to have our parent's love and support, we don't need when we are doing what needs to be done in our own lives.  I know it's hard for her because she went without recon...so she doesn't understand why someone would choose a huge surgery and the travel when she has been fine without it.  But we get it...and you know it is for the best!!Mar 15 - Anniese - Stage 2/3. (Dr M) NOLA. St. Charles Surgical

Mar 15 - Sueinfl - Stage 1 consult (DIEP or GAP?), Not sure of exact surgery date, Bilateral, Dr. S, NOLA. Fairway Hospital.

WOW!  Busy busy week!  Good luck ladies!  You are in the BEST of hands!  I hope you get to meet up with one another. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Seroma question - - what happens if I do nothing about it?

I have one which is bulging underneath my incision line and have spoken with Celeste.   2 attempts to drain did nothing. Next step is to u/s with drain placement.  I do not want anymore anesthesia.

And so - what if I do nothing?  Can it get infected?  Maybe I need to call Celeste again. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

Have they done an ultrasound guided aspiration? 

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

Thinking of all you ladies.

Anniese-If you read this, please give Dr Marga a hug for me. Just tell her thanks for the girls at Image Reborn where she spoke. :)

Mar 15 - Anniese - Stage 2/3. (Dr M) NOLA. St. Charles Surgical

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Nordy...I am so glad to hear about your Dad.

I am sending positive vibes for all of the ladies up this week.

I just got back home last night after the 11 hour drive and I am pretty sore and tired still. We stopped halfway and stayed at a motel. When Dr D made rounds on Friday, he told me to get out of the car every 2 hours and walk around. My whole body aches like I have the flu.  I have been taking my arnicare pills and using the gel for my bruising. I hope it is helping.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

CC- keep moving and drinking water.  It helps your lymph glands to clear all the meds you've been exposed to, and it helps get your strength back quicker. 

Trishia- my 2 attempts at aspiration were in the local, non-NOLA PS office w/o ultrasound.  He wants me to get an ultrasound, which I'm glad to do.  But I do not want to be put to sleep again.  The radiology office has told me not to eat after midnight, that they'll start an IV to put me into twilight.  I asked if they could just numb up the local area and call it good enough - they told they don't do that, but I can talk to the radiologist about it on that day.  So now I'm wondering if I want to go at all.  My Stage 2 is in one month.  Can I just wait till then?