Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

I called Irene's and they are closed on Sundays!   I think Cafe Maspero sounds great, especially considering that they have a veggie dish and I don't eat meat.    They don't have a web site, but they are faxing me a menu this morning and I'll try to post some highlights later today.   I called Maspero's and they don't need a reservation for us, as there is seating for 150.   Everyone okay with this instead?   We could do Irene's on Monday night......

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Hi Robyn, do you think you'll be up for the swamp tour on Sunday?  It's about a 45 minute drive from the city, 90 minutes sitting on the boat.....I've done it the day I was released from the hospital, but I apparently have a high tolerance for pain.  Let me know!

Sandy

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2010

Hi Ladies!

I'm Jen, and I think Minnesota told you all a little about me.  She told me there were a lot of ladies from breastcancer . org with NOLA appts on the 29th, so I came over here to peek. (Thanks for such an awesome board and thread!) I do not have a breast cancer diagnosis, so hadn't been on these boards before.  I am BRCA1 positive and going for a bi-lateral prophylactic with DIEP.  Pre-Op is on 3/29 at 10:30 with Dr. D and surgery on 3/30 at 10:00 with Dr. D.

Wow they're busy that day!!!  We need to all treat him with extra TLC so we keep his energy going!Smile

Just wanted to say a quick "hi" so I'm not a stranger while we're all at NOLA.  I'm getting butterflies every day, and have too much to do before I leave, but I'm glad it's all sooner rather than later. Also good luck to my fellow NOLA girls (for whatever you may be having, checking or learning about during this upcoming time!).

Jen 

• Jinger
    edited March 2010

Oh, and I wanted to ask:

Sandy: Are you bringing a dog?  That's awesome if so! Where are you staying?  I want to bring my dog and my husband thinks I'm crazy. (Which I probably am, but that's beside the point!Embarassed) I'm also hoping to get caught up on who Julie is with you; she's the one having surgery? 

Minnesota: It's fun seeing your beautiful picture now that I've logged onto this board!  (And I'm envious every time I see you talk about being tiny...I'm 75 lbs less large than I was in October, but still about 40 more than I want to be!) 

• Jinger
    edited March 2010

Yes, it's me again.  Just one more quick question and then I'll stop...I promise.  Why are parts of my posts showing up smaller, italic and gray???

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

Today is my twin girls' first birthday! One year ago, Dr. Sullivan, brought them into the world and made them a part of me, making me feel truly whole for the first time since I was 21. There are not enough words of gratitude for him or his staff.

Sandy, I seriously considered it.  But we have company in town this weekend from MT.   

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Hi Jen,

I had the exact same procedure with Dr. D on 2/23.  He had other surgeries the day of mine as well!  I'm sure you will do just fine.

Suzanne

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010
    Happy 1 Year, Trisha's girls! Yours was the first NOLA pic journal I saw, Trishia. What an inspiration as everyone's has been. Thanks again for sharing.Smile
  • Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

I'm home from NOLA as of late last night. Agree wth everyone about how amazing the Dr's are, how fabulous St charles is and their stafff in general were great.

I'm moving on to stage 2 plans already since I love my results so much so far. How much time do you plan for stage 2? Dr S wants to do some lipo, and scar revision and even out the girls too.

I also need to talk to cappie about insurance stuff but am having a hard time getting her to call me back. I pd my amount in full at my pre op, but when i got home i had a statement saying i owe them quite a bit of $. Anyone else had this happen? I need to find out the price of the stage 2 before i can get it scheduled.

I want to get it scheduled so i have something to look forward to!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

I have just called the main number and ask for the insurance department. They must have some new folks..

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

having a freak out moment- i already called the center and sent them pics, but my incision seems to be coming apart on the left breast under neath. Since mine was delayed and large my incision for both breasts on the under side is the fold where it meets my chest.

i'm in no pain and everything still looks good- just waiting for the nurses to look and call me back.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Stay calm,melinda. Deep breaths...let us know what they say when you can.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Hi Jinger~another FORCE gal and NOLA alum here! Let me know if you have any questions!

Marcia

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

i am more calm now- they said to swab it with iodine 3 times a day and it should get better, and to pack it with the abd pads.

But i would still feel better to know if ayone had incision opening issues?

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

I had my glue come off prematurely on a spot on one of my breasts, around 12 days, I believe, and it looked like it was opening up.  Freaked me out!! It did not look right at all, but it wasn't really opening up, actually.  Kind of raw looking.  Betadine did the trick, it looked better in just a couple days -dried up and healing.  It sounds like yours is worse, though.  In the end, that spot does have a wider scar than the rest of the incision, where the glue stayed on for it's full amount of time.  It's not as smooth and perfect as the rest of the incision, but it did end up healing fine. I have no idea how or why this occurred.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

How long should the glue stay on? Mine is curling up and flaky, but I'm afraid to try and wash it off or anything. I am at 4 weeks as of tomorrow.

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

I was told the glue would start to come off between 3 and 4 weeks, and that's what it pretty much did.  I had a few spots which kept hanging on, and the one little spot which came off early. For me, the areas healed better were those where the glue stayed on a bit longer.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Ladies, I understand that there are many concerns with Lanita's departure and I just want to say that I am sure that the doctors make the policies; not the employees.   Dr. DellaCroce and Dr. Sullivan's commitment to restoring us and ensuring that having reconstruction doesn't put us in the poor house has not changed just because one staff member is no longer with them.   We are entrusting them with our very lives, and if we can do that and feel such peace about it, surely we can trust them to be true to what we are told regarding finances.  Right?  Please PM me if I can help in any way, as not everything can be spelled out in this forum.

Sandy

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2010

Sandy - thank you for the offer to join the swamp tour, but I think I'm going to pass.     I will probably feel fine, but I'm not really a huge fan of swamp critters!

I had my pre-op with Dr. D this afternoon.    I'm COVERED in blue marker but he said that this will be a pretty easy recovery for me and, most importantly, NO DRAINS!   Yippee!!

I am sorry to report, however, that he had on very boring hiking boots today.    If he wears those on Monday, this joke is going to be really hard to pull off!

Just finished a great chat with Nordy - can't wait to meet her in the morning.   We're both on at 7:00!   

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Hi Jinger, I'm going to NOLA with Julie and her service dog!  

Melinda, I'll PM you about the statement.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Melinda~ I also got the full charge bill when I got home from NOLA.  I didn't panic and the next one was the right amount. 

Glad to hear that you incision is okay.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

Does anyone know where I can see photos of 3D nipple tattoos and areola tattoos done by Donn (does he do both?)  (need help deciding, leaning toward real nipples right now)

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

i spoke to the insurance people today and got it all straightened out, they're so nice there!

trying hard to not worry about the incision issues im having. I wish i had asked about the glue and when it should come off- mine was flaky and i pickked at it in some places. 

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Melinda, I had my surgery on 2/23 and I still have glue in places.  It's probably too soon to for your to come off.  I think it takes a while.

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

GLUE - I was told 3-4 weeks as to when it would start to come off.  I'm basically slow, so most of mine came off around the 5 week mark.  Of course, by then, everything is well healed, so taking off the remaining pieces was no big deal.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

I still had a little bit of glue when I went in for my stage 2 which was 3 months after stage 1. I was beginning to think it would never come off!   Also, before I had my stage 2 surgery, I had some insurance concerns/questions and I talked to Pam on the phone and in person at the center. She is very nice and informative like Lanita.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Hot times coming up in NOLA!

BCDiva - all blue is all good! good luck! I am sure you will be thrilled. NO DRAINS YAY!!  Sounds like you'll be good to go for the dance competition! :)  Helo to Mr. BCDiva.... from Mr. Springtime! LOL.

Ladies, We are leaving tomorrow for Spring Break Vacation and I will not be on the computer as often.

Please suggest any NEWBIES PM me their specifics if they want to be added to the listing above.

Good luck to all the ladies coming up next week!!! :)  

Love, love, love, Spring. 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Nordy & BCDiva~ I hope you are both doing well. 

I got the phone call from St. Charles Surgical center the other day which made me hold my breath for a second to only hear "Oh you are not going to be responsible for any charges".  I then exhauled said thank you and did a happy dance in my livingroom....lol....  I hate insurance issues.  Dealing with my insurance company is honestly a part-time job.  I spent an hour and 15 min. on the phone the other day to only find out that my local hospital is balance billing me and is illegal since the bal. was supposed to be adjusted off....grrr....

So in all of the nipple talk I still can not decide how big I am going to ask Dr. S to make them.  My DH just wants me to do tatoo's but I want a hint of something.....  Sandy any advice besides talking to my DH ??  Did your barely there nips fall completely flat ??

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited March 2010

Hello lovelies!  This is sort of a hit and run.......I'm waaaay behind....currently a bit consumed w/ work issues.

Nordy called me today after her stage 2 -SHE IS GREAT!  and I am passing along that news!

She was ambivalent about how much and what she'd go w/.  Of course she had a lot offered but went conservative-she did not want a circumferential scar so I think they did a mini tuck thru her existing csection incision and a bit of contour/lipo on the bum/hips and maybe outer thighs...maybe knees...she was sore but sounded great!  and was VERY at peace(but  tempted!) about being a little more conservative on the ab stuff.  

I know she'll be back soon....maybe already I just didn't read above....pressed for time!

ttysoon!

• kcshreve
    edited March 2010

C Section scar - I had 3 C sections and a hysterectomy, all leaving really horrible, thick scarring.  When Dr S took a look at my scar, I could see it really bothered him, but he didn't say much.  I didn't realize that he'd be able to use that scar for my Stage 2 Diep, but he did.  It looks like he actually cut out all the old scar and then sewed together then upper to the lower half.  It looks so nice and smooth, even thought the diep scar is so wide.  Whenever I look at it I'm amazed and thankful to have it be so flat now.  I can just imagine the conversation in the surgery room, "No way is a patient of ours leaving with this snaggly ol' scar, lets take care of that!"