Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

So happy to hear that Nordy is doing well.  I am curious as to what all she went for. :) 

Is it bad that I am looking forward to Stage 2 to see what they offer ??  Before all of this I would have never thought about getting PS but now I am excited about it. 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Shucks...I was supposed to post about our beloved Nordy but my husband needed to eat...so I am LATE (sorry Nordy)...glad Plainjane got you the scoop though!

She is indeed well albeit a tad "Mardi Graded out"!

She is a sweetheart and I was so relieved to hear her sweet voice!

Bon Voyage for all those up next,

Marcia

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Thanks for the great news about Nordy!  So glad to hear she is happy!

Jamie, I don't think it's bad you're looking forward to stage 2!  I am too!  After all of the surgery and recovery, it's so fantastic that we can go back for stage 2 and have everything perfected.  When will we ever have that chance again?  

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

speaking of stage 2 - how long is your New orleans stay for that stage?

also, Dr sullivan mentioned the things he wants to do for me in that stage (yay!) But i have secretly always always wanted lipo on my upper arms. I would never ever consider it otherwise but i have this idea floating in my head that he could do something. It's the weirdest thing but my arms have always been my least fave part of the body.

anyone know if thats possible?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

Melinda - it is my understanding that lipo does not work well on upper arms.  I think the question was asked on Dr. D's "ask the dr" site, and he said he didn't recommend it, but I am sure you can get more answers from some here that know more about it than I do....Good luck!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

When Dr. D was talking to me about stage 2 he said he was going to give me as much lipo as I wanted...torso, legs, etc, EXCEPT the arms and face. He said they just didn't do well and so he didn't go there. I'm super happy I will get my big fat torso (thanks Chemo and Tamox) finally gotten rid of. But then I started to wonder if I will have big fat arms and face afterwards!!! I'm only     5'1" so I'll really have to watch the calories!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Trishia - But for me the fun part is kind of getting eclipsed by the not fun part. If you have the surgery for me, you can have my place at the table Sunday night...

Jinger - That's why I like these teeny tiny pictures! Thanks!

BCDiva - Boring hiking boots? I can't even imagine that - eventho I don't think I've ever even looked at his shoes. I don't suppose you noticed what he was wearing on his feet in the O.R. today.

Jaimie - Isn't it amazing what having this surgery does to old notions? It opens up the whole wonderful world of plastic surgery to those of us who would never have previously contemplated it. LOL!

Nordy, BreastCancerDiva - So glad you guys are on the other side of this!

Camian - You're up tomorrow! Good luck!

Sandy - for show and tell, there's always Bourbon Street!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

Great news about Nordy! Thanks for reporting ladies!

I got to feel a NOLA alum's SGAP boobies up here in Seattle last night and they felt sooooo good!

Uh . . . did that sound weird? But they did!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Jaimie, I have to tell you that having more nipple makes my breasts feel so much more like the originals that I am incredibly happy I had the revision---every day I'm glad to chose to do it, even though I thought I was all done last June.   Of course I of all people would understand you looking forward to all of the perks of stage II, since I've had several revision surgeries.  Dr. D has worked really hard to correct all of the things my first surgeon didn't do well, and each step has been such an improvement that I have looked forward each time to things being even better. Yes, the "barely theres" flattened out so that there was really nothing left to feel.

Minn, I think I've noticed running shoes to go with the scrubs.  Hey, along with the shoe thing, we should ALL ask for blepharoplasty (eyelid lifts) during stage II--we can talk about how much better it would make us feel about ourselves, and how we'd like to take advantage of already being under general anesthesia.   After all, they allowed me to have my hysterectomy during a breast revision surgery, so why not a bit of facial work?  Seriously though, eleven years ago I swore I'd never have cosmetic surgery because I had such a horrific LASIK experience and didn't have vision in one eye for about nine months. I didn't think I'd ever trust another doctor, but my breast cancer forced me to.  Then, stage I was not a happy experience...I arrived in NOLA pretty banged up emotionally and physically.  When Dr. D fixed up so many of the issues I presented, it buoyed my spirits so much.

Bourbon Street?  Not sure I'm ready for that....I think I have enough beads, especially after our last evening there. 

Best wishes for tomorrow, camiam!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

laughlines, my trainer made me run around the block this morning, and as I returned, she told me that she didn't mean to sound weird, but that she'd noticed that my breasts bounced just like natural breasts do.  She's so impressed with these surgeries we are having, as we are not sacrificing core muscles.  

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Laughlines - that doesn't sound weird at all! I got to feel a gal's NOLA nipples and they felt really good, too!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

Minn~I wish we could all just go to NOLA for fun and not for surgeries.  You are a brave woman and are going to do great.  It wouldn't help reduce your risk if I had your surgery for you!  (((HUGS)))

I was chatting with another NOLA alum on the phone tonight.  Hers are were the first live and in person finished NOLA set I saw.  I cried when I saw them they are that gorgeous.  How lucky are we that we get something so positive out of something so negative.  

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Glad to hear Nordy is doing good!

BreastcancerDiva-Hope all went good for you too.

Camian-Good luck today!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

Nordy..!  You are finished! Yay!  Glad to hear it went well...  Diva, Cam... hope to hear the same report!  Sue and Minnesota... good luck next week!

Sandy ... all this stuff about extras at Stage 2... all this time I've been thinking.. skip the lipo.. can you fix my turkey neck?  Seriously... if I could have that done or like a mini facelift, I'd keep my flabby belly and move on happily..... I wonder if they ever allow a facial PS in to do like a mini facelift since we're under anyway..... I'd be up for that....

Happy to report my leg seems to be improving but my right butt cheek is still very sore.. ugh... my last drain has been under 20 ccs for 12 days but I was told I still have to wait until it changes color... how long might this take.... anybody? Smile

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

I love reading the stories, but they make me SOOO excited to go. I can't focus on work...

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Minn, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Okay so I need to go for more than the barely there nips.  Check but I had inverted nipples prior to BC so I have no idea what I want.  I may just let Dr. S do whatever he would like....lol....  I am still just sad that my DH is not going with me :( 

Sandy my girls jiggle just like my old ones did.  It's funny the first time I realized that they jiggled I was brushing my teeth...lol...  I then had to go show my DH that they jiggled which he thought I was crazy for showing him.

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

I have heard that some women have had facial plastic surgery done at NOLA, while under. Maybe they have local folks they recommend.

• acarr
    acarr Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2010

Minnesota, I believe Dr. S's wife is a PS who does cosmetic surgery.  

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Yes, she is a PS, and a very good one by all accounts!~

M

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

2tzus, glad to hear of your happiness---I know you waited a long time for this!

Minn, there is hope for tired eyelids, you think?

Jaimie, I think toothbrushing is a good test for the jiggle factor. That and running! Laughing

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Thank you for your upbeat and encouraging posts.  My Stage 2 is coming up, and I'm noticing that I'm having doubts about it - probably natural anxiety.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

I thought I'd post to make sure that everyone has information for Sunday evening.  Dinner at Cafe Maspero.  Nordy, Julie and I will most likely be doing the swamp tour with Alaina, and should be back in plenty of time to meet at 6:00 p.m. at the restaurant.  

(504) 523-6250

601 Decatur St
    New Orleans, LA 70130

Can't wait to see and/or meet all of you!  I have cell numbers for Laughlines and Nordy.  If anyone else wants to talk prior to meeting, PM me and I'll check for messages tomorrow night once we get to our hotel in NOLA.

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Hi all,

For any of you who don't know the Quarter, Decatur runs parallel (more or less) to the river. It's the street that delineates the southern border of Jackson Square. Cafe Maspero is on the corner of Decatur and Toulouse Street, which is 2 blocks west of the Square. It doesn't matter if you come early or late to dinner or miss dinner altogether. It's big enough and casual enough of a place that we should be able to sit around there as long as we want (especially on a Sunday night) and order whenever. If you're hungry and want to go ahead and order, no problem. Then just order one of the $1 strawberry margharitas and kick back! Looking forward to meeting you guys! (If you ask someone directions, make sure you specify it's the one one Decatur. There's another Maspero's place that isn't this one - I can't remember the exact name...)

Eve

• trainertam
    edited March 2010
    So glad to hear you are all able to meet and have a meal together.wish I was there too!Embarassed Will you do me a favor while you are together....discuss what you are planning or ask for ideas about your scrapbook pages! LOL! I just got the book in the mail this week, it's a beautiful pale pink leather, it will withstand many a viewing. I think it will have so much more impact if it is full of pages from US when I present it to the Dr's, rather than just my page! As I have said before , there are plenty of page sleeves so that other women can sli[p their page in later, but I really hope to have a good showing in the book in May. Thanks!!  Have fun Sunday NIGHT!!!
  • SandyinSoCal
    edited March 2010

Tammy, thanks for organizing this. Maybe I can meet with you to give you my page.  Hey, you need to come to the EnCourage meetings the Center produces live from NOLA.  PM me for details--

Sandy

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

Hey Tammy, yes, thanks for putting the book together... I was hoping to add mine when my Stage 2 and 3 are complete....seems to make more sense....  maybe I can put mine in this Fall when I go back down for tattoos? 

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

Okay, how weird is it to pack cans of soup to take to Fairway with me (along with a mug to put them in) along with some applesauce, packets of instant oatmeal and fruit? I am not going to have anyone with me to make a food run until discharge day. Other than that, I so far have packed for the hospital:

anti-constipation goodies (smooth move, suppositories, ex-lax if the big guns are needed)

lip balm

robe (big pj shirt)

wet wipes

phone w/charger

walkman w/headphones

earplugs (couldn't find my eyemask)

same footies with sticky bottoms that CRBS gave me

disposible toothbrushes/ floss

reading glasses/book

sleeping cap (still no hair after chemo)

daily meds

insurance card

Have I forgotten anything? I will depart Thursday in the same baggy clothes I show up in on Monday. I will have more clothes and things waiting for me back at Hope Lodge. In some ways, I seem to be getting more calm the closer Monday gets here. I haven't cried all day!

I met Yvette when I checked in for my pre-op Friday. After giving her my emergency contact info, I mentioned that I had no one staying with me and she said, "Yes, you will." I first thought she meant I would have to have someone stay with me and then she said, "I will be here with you" and gave me her number to call her tomorrow.  (okay, now I am starting to cry). She is a 22 year survivor and a former patient of Dr. Allen. Talk about finding rainbows in this storm of bc we have to weather. 

• trainertam
    edited March 2010

Do you mean the St. Charles nurse Yvette? I had Yvette when they did the emergency "check in" after my fiasco at Oschner. She's wonderful. If it is the same Yvette, tell her Tammy says Hello, and I will see her in May!

I'll be thining of you next week. You will be fine!!!!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2010

This Yvette was at the patient "paperwork" desk at Fairway. Maybe that name is popular in LA, but it seems to be given to special people.

Thanks for the encouragement and happy thoughts, Tammy!