Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2009

Jennifer, sorry to hear your family is acting like that. What a terrible time for them to do this. I'm glad you have your friends through work, church, and here! It's interesting how this whole ordeal will bring you closer to some people, and further away from some people!

Can I ask you what you mean about downpayment? You're going to NOLA right? Just curious, as I am not going til Spring but trying to plan for it all now. That's me, an obsessive planner :) 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

I am home safe and sound...kids yellin..laundry backed up...home sweet home lol

Plainjane..you do whats best for you! We are all behind you!! xo

Mel...hope the rain lets up for you and the other girls..

Gin and Trishia- Prayers and positive thoughts are on there way!

Spring- Hope your travels were safe and you are resting comfortably in your own bed..ahhhh

I had to share with you something very cool that happened on the runway yesterday as our plane took off- MY BOOBS WERE SHAKING!!!! lol  I almost forgot what that felt like..I had a dbl mastectomy and had implants for the last year. Then, three months ago, my implant failed and I have been lopsided all summer....it was very cool..These Miracle Breasts JIGGLE!! They are WARM! and best of all...they are ALL MINE! lol   Brighter days ahead Girls.....xoxo

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

Warrior you are a riot!  Thrilled for the jigglies!

I am sorry to sound so pathetic, OMG I hate being needy!!!!!!  Thanks all so much for being so sweet!

Dragonfly....I have choice plus united PPO.......I have the best one I can buy thru my employer....BUT.......I am still going out of network so I am responsible for a certain amt of money.  When Lanita called me waaay back in May or June she gave me a 'worst case scenario picture'....Of what I'd owe after they submitted, re submitted, appealed or did whatever they have to do to get payment from my ins company.  It was/is a chunk of change......BUT.....certainly a fraction of this total cost.  Nonetheless, I asked her how most people go about paying this, told her I didn;t have that much in the savings acct(most people dont!)....Do they take a loan, or?????  She told me if the amount was out of the question to tell her what I could manage.  I filled out a financial means form, then went for consult in august.  When I knew I wanted to have the surgery there, and I was still in NO....I asked to speak w/ Lanita and just told her......"this is what I want to do....I want to pay X amount....and then pay you X amount every 2 weeks until I'm paid off- if possible I'd like to set up auto payments coinciding w/ my payperiods."  She was ok w/ that and such is history!

You NEED TO KNOW:  THEY will WORK W/ YOU!!!! 

And I DON't have to take out a loan and pay interest...so I am THRILLED!  I will happily pay for what I think will be an awesome investment.  And I will do whatever is needed to get my ins co to hold their end of the deal as well.  So far, I was authorized a while ago....Honestly I think my local docs set the stage...I have ENOUGH history and was considering all this before just couldn't get the right recon w/ the right surgeon...I'm SOoooo happy I have all the RIGHT pieces in place now!  God willing all will come together! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Hi All!

Hi Pam! NOLA in November will be wonderful. And you can see by the listing above, many of us will be having phase 2 in December. Let us know when your date is.

We are finally home. We left the hotel before 10AM and we were home around 9PM. LONG DAY! Today I have been tired, but am hoping to feel better by tomorrow.

Contipation started acting up again! Ahhhhck! I think this will be how it is until I am off the pain killers! Warrior, I have MOM somewhere from when i was constipated from chemo. Better dig that baby out just in case! LOL...

Welcome Home Warrior! I loved the "jiggly" story.... you jiggle girl!!!   Laughing

Hoping to hear from Trisha and Ginnie.... Maybe tomorrow...

Spring.

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009

Spring, Hoping you're feeling more rested today!

So do tell.............How's the irradiated breast doing?  does it seem to be healing any differently/slower than the other?  inquiring minds want to know!  And let's see........you finished rads about the same time as me?  I finished feb 5th............glorious day that was!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Wow Warrior.  Jiggly!   I cant wait to get that again!

Ill probably spend the rest of my life Jumping- just so I can feel them move.  LOL

I did not realize you had implants before...Someday when you are feeling good-Id like to pm & hear your story.

Spring- Wow, that was a very long day!

I hope you get lots of rest today.  Did you drive- or have that long of a flight with layovers?

Hope MOM works for you Spring.  I have problems going after every surgery. 

Now after my Hysterectomy I have a Rectocele : (

So when I have this surgery- I will really have to keep things going!

How do all your DHs or family & friends do during your long surgery...When one is in their hometown...They often might have someone to sit with them.  My dh said he will be fine sitting (he said- have I ever complained before?  he has sat through 5 of my surgeries in 15 months)

But it must be hard to sit & worry that long.

Hope Ginnie & Trisha are doing good!

Pam

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

I LOVE the Jiggle story, Warrior!!!!!

I hope all September and late August Ladies are doing well!!! This past week was hard on me- It was my 2nd week out and I think it was harder than my first!! The morning is Horrible for me- like I cant move and feel like I got hit by a Truck.

Constipation continues to be an issue. I can tell I when I do too much because my flap incision swells. My breasts have some swelling to go down and it is hard to see exactly how they will look. 

How are all of you!!???

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Happy, Sorry to hear your 2nd week has been harder.

I hope this next week you find yourself doing better!

Not sure what you have tried so far for the constipation.

I found MOM & Glyserin(sp) Suppostitories help me the most.

Pam

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

Jenn - OMG... okay, your remarks about your family were hysterical. I know you probably didn't mean them to be, but when you were going off about your sister I was laughing... I still am! Girl, you hang in there... who are they to judge? I think my mom was a bit put off when I showed her all of my incisions this past week, but somehow we got around to having a little heart to heart (which is difficult w/my Mom) and now I think she finally "gets it". You are coming up quick here - woooohooo!

For all the constipated people:  Wink  I am all about the glycerin suppositories. So it makes me feel like I am a hundred years old, but it beats the heck out of constipation or brick shaped poo coming out sideways... LOL   Sorry, TMI.  I also really like the Smooth Move tea that Tricia mentioned. It works wonders and it does not taste bad AT ALL. Also - yogurt helped me so much when I was still on the antibiotic as I had a yeast infection coming on. I filled up on yogurt - and some juice drink that is full of probiotics (I can't remember the name right now but they sell it at Whole Foods - and probably any other similar store) - anyway, it kicked that yeast infection without the assistance of Monistat or any other suppository type meds. 

Ginnie and Tricia - I am soooo sorry I missed your surgery dates. I have been out of commission w/friends and family in town. And, I am just soooo tired at night. My baby has not been sleeping well since I have been home - up every night at 3 AM, so am working to get her back on a schedule. I hope all went well for you two. Tricia - get to Portland so we can get together when you are all done!

Mel - It is all YOU this week! Woooohooooooo!!!! You go girl!

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2009

Hey All - I am HERE in NOLA!!!  We left at 6 PM on Friday, drove it straight thru, stopped for a Mcdonalds meal at 8:30pm, then 3 bathroom breaks thru the night and whala...900 miles and 14 hours later...NEW ORLEANS!  I thought I was going to have to pull over at about 5 AM just before daybreak....but kept pluggin along...the snoring from my DH in the passenger seat was enough to keep me awake...as it does most nights!  HA!  We had some breakfast at 8:30 AM when we got in and slept for about 4 hours then went to the French Qtr to walk about and then have an early dinner. We spent all of today walking thru the city, the river walk, eating and eating and well...eating!  It has been RAINING so hard, getting 2 or more inches of rain each day, then it seems to clear off for the evening.  So we have not golfed any yet.  BUT tomorrow is the day, rain or shine, we are golfing.  It will be my last round for quite a while.  I went over to the St Charles facility. OMG!  There are really no words to describe it.  They walked us around and showed us the facility.  I think this will be a great place for sure.  The Hope Lodge is nice and its actually nice to be greeted by familiar faces, as we come and go, etc.  I am thinking I will not be as homesick here.,  I already miss my daughter so Much!  We have been talking often, etc.  I CAN DO THIS!!!  Getting a little anxious, but am so READY! 

JenniferJane, I am eating at Emeril's Delmonico on Tuesday evening, you knw the "last" meal kinda thing.  I hope he is there.  Try and pick a place that you would like to go and we will scope it out and go there when you get here.

Spring and Warrior - all my loved to you. 

Trishia and GIN52 - healing thoughts coming your way, I will try and call you all tomorrow morning.  All you ladies are SO SO Brave!

xxoo Mel

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

Melanie- Good Luck with surgery and have a nice stay in New Orleans . My DH and I loved GWFins for dinner and of course a Beignet at CAfe Du Monde!

Thanks all for constipation advice!

Does anyone else like their pain pills very much in the morning? 

How about some times my breasts feel strange(like not my own) and other times I do not notice them?? I know they have the blood running through them and I should expect it to be different.

When you take off your comnpression bras- Do they look lumpy for a few minutes?

Happy (Joy)

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2009

Melanie...I know you dont know me but I wanted to tell you...YES! You CAN do this!! Enjoy th e Quarter and Cafe du Monde and know you are in the VERY BEST of hands !

(((((((((melanie)))))))))

Marcia :)

• Soccermom4force
    edited September 2009

Warrior ,its so cool to hear you say "warm and jiggly" I felt the same way after having no breasts for 2 1/2 years ...Love the "and their mine" part as well!

Rest and heal well,

Marcia Kiss

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

OMG - the Marcia, Marcia, Marcia I look fabulous in a bikini Marcia?  Thank you so much.  I do know you, all us BC ladies know each other too well.  Off for a great day...hoping the rain holds off too.  Love to all and healing thoughts coming to everyone.  Prayers too! xxoo Mel 

• jseda
    jseda Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2009

Nola girls:

I wish I were a Nola gal. I was born in Louisiana so does that count?? I'm actually heading to the U of Wash for surg & unilateral mastectomy/DIEP (no radiation and no chemo). I know I will have the abdominal pump with local anesthetic for pain management. Did any of you have this?? If so, what did you think as far as pain control. Any other tidbits of helpful info? I'm quite anxious but excited that I'll soon have it behind me. Did you feel like getting up the day after surg? You can lie and I'll understand. Ha. Thanks

J.Seda 

• Godsgirl2
    Godsgirl2 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2009

Hello, Springtime !

by now you are feeling better after your procedure and on your way to a new you.

I had stage 1 surgery at NOLA in July and I feel terrific! I go back Nov. 4th surgery the 6th for stage 2.

take care and write me if you have any questions.

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Oh My, I see we have no updates here from Trisha and Ginnie???!!! Girls, do let us know how you are when you can.

I had a rough Saturday and Sunday, but I have felt better today.  I am winning the constipation battle with hi fiber foods and MiriLAX nightly. Also, I've been able to cut back on the Vicodin! yay...

My "swelling" has gone down... so this is good. It is amazing having so much less tummy. No butt though. LOL....

Melanie, YOU ARE UP NEXT!!! you will do great! 

Jennifer, The irradiated side does feel better, certainly softer. But I still feel a sore area...  I think I may have lymphademia on the side of the breast under the SNB / armpit incision.... I have been thinking of going to a LE therapist.  They are out of network but the St. Charles Surgical was out of Network so we may have met our "out of pocket max". 

Spring. 

• sunandsandgirl
    sunandsandgirl Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

Hang in there all you NOLA girls.  Take one day at a time.  Mark your progress by a week at a time. Remember to take deep breathes and rest often.   I so hope you all heal quickly

sunandsandgirl 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Oh ladies, I forgot to tell you something, for those of you flying home with surgical drains...

I was in a wheelchair, but they made me get out at the security checkpoint and walk through the metal detector. When i stood up, the belt holding surgical drains was showing. The man said, "you are going to have to take that off". I said, "I can't take this off, these are attached to my body, they are surgical drains". So a female officer had to come over, had me take each drain out of the pounch, and "swabbed" the pouch!!!

My advice, MAKE SURE surgical drain stuff is hidden high up under your shirt!!  Make sure none of it shows when you stand up and walk!

Spring. 

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

Hi all - I spoke to Ginnie this AM, she sounds great, is at her hotel and waiting for all her results.  I have not spoke to Trishia yet.xxoo Mel

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

Mel- Good luck to you! You are going to do GREAT!! Keep us posted!

I am wearing Spanx and its very uncomfortable cux my drain tubes stick out of my hips vs in front of the belly....can I cut the spanx or will it ruin all the compression??

It sounds like all you girls are doing well! Ginnie and Trishia..keep us posted !

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

Spring - I am sorry that happened to you at the airport!!! I had my drains very visibly tucked under my shirt. The woman at security just had me lift up my shirt to show her what was underneath. Done. Not a big deal. I did not have a wheel chair -  I chose not to - but did tell her I had my doctor's note if she needed it. She said she didn't, just wanted to know what it was. And that was the end of that. Did you have a note with you from the center that explained about the drains? Mine did, but like I said, I didn't need it. So... everyone has a different experience - ladies, just don't forget your note from the Center, just in case you need it! And be prepared to talk back!!!

I am glad everyone is doing well!!! Mel - You are going to do FABULOUS!!!

• Soccermom4force
    edited September 2009

Any word from Trishia???

Melanie,,,sweet dreams tonight many good wishes for an easy surgery and swift recovery,

Hugs,Marcia

• Soccermom4force
    edited September 2009

Do you have a girdle from NOLA Warrior? You can cut a hole in those and it will still do the job...FYI, I purchased a high waisted knee length spanx like thing from Wal Mart...No Nonsense brand ...cut the crotch out (within the seaming tho)and put holes for my drains..it worked pretty well and was CHEAP!

Hugs Marcia

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009

Nordy,

I've missed you!  Thanks for laughing....I think it's the best approach.......I am waaaay OK!  better and, I have to laugh!  I have to pm you some amusing details.  I did very well, didn't tell them and still don't want to.  Someday the time will be right....maybe when I look like Marcia in a bikini.(LOL).

Melanie, you are the ultimate road warrior!  Glad you're still having fun...I sure hope you 2 got to golf today!  Emeril's Delmonico....fancy!  So your preops tommorrow before Emeril.  Sounds great and you're going to do famously on wednesday!  Get some good rest.

Spring, thanks for the radiated side report.  I too had a bit of truncal lymphedema on that side and met my out of pocket deductible getting LE therapy back in June when I had an infection/seroma.  Do your incisions seem like they're healing equally well as the other?  just curious?  Good advice on the drains....sorry you were harrassed.

I'm so happy I arranged to be off this friday so I can wrap things up here, saturday and sunday are packed!

xoxo

jennifer

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2009

Thanks for the airport advise. I was really surprised that they would give you a hard time about stuff like that. Best to be prepared with a note and baggy clothing to hide the drains.

Trisha and Ginnie I hope you are both doing well and having good recoveries. Hope to hear from you soon.

Melanie I know how you feel. I am an avid tennis player and I will really miss playing over the next few months.  Get that last 18 holes in and good luck with your surgery.

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

GWFins.....<<<<AMAZING>>>>>!!!!! Wow!  Topped off with Cafe Du Monde! <<<HEAVEN>>>!!!!

LADIES -- ALL THE WONDERFUL WISHES, MAKES ME WEEPY!  THANKS SO MUCH!!!! Dont know how I could have made it this far without all the understanding and encouragement.  So Fabulous. 

I got my last round of golf in today,it was finally a RAIN FREE day! It was really great, I sure am gonna miss that for a while.  This too shall pass.

Jennifer Jane - Sleep well.  Prayers for all you gals!

Off to get a good nights rest, I know I will not be sleeping much tomorrow night.  To the airport in the AM to pick up my best bud who will sit with my DH on Wednesday and stay until Thursday afternoon. 

Goodnight and sweet dreams all.  xxoo Mel 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2009

Hi ladies, sorry i have not "been here". but still having problems with this netbook. I have tried several times I would type a bunch of stuff, and I would hit wrong key and it would be gone But I am doing fine, and will update more soon.

((((Melaniie was so good to talk to you!))

((((Spring))) sorry I did not get see you, but glad my daughter and sister did!

((((Warrior)))) so glad I got meet yourYou are all awes.ome. Really helps to know what is going to happen

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2009

I'd heard from a previous patient that I should ask the Center for an airport letter.  It explained that I had surgical drains and I was allowed to go through the checkpoint with a zippered hoodie on, leave my shoes on, and I got to walk right past everyone in line.  That was the same week that the ophthalmologists had their yearly convention in NOLA, and they happened to all have flights out the same time as mine, so the security line was all the way back to the entrance of the terminal.  They were all staring at me, trying to figure out what was up.   Then we got to the gate and although I'd booked two adjacent seats, my daughter's seat was no longer next to mine, which was inexplicably right next to Lee Majors, the actor.  Unfortunately, I was wearing a bulging black hoodie, baggy sweatpants which were slightly too short, white TED hose showing above black socks and Crocs.    I asked if my daughter could possibly sit next to me, and the gate employee called Lee up.  He kindly switched seats with her and sat behind us.  With what I was wearing, he was probably more than happy to switch!!   Then my husband and son met me at LAX with a wheelchair, and my son pushed me in it down to baggage claim.  There we ran into the "grandfather of ophthalmology" in Los Angeles, someone I hold very dear to my heart because he volunteered to serve as my medical expert in my lasik lawsuit when he saw what had been done to my eyes.   He was so surprised to see me in the wheelchair and asked about my NOLA experience, very intrigued that I'd been out of state for surgery.  We'd been on the same plane back and didn't realize it.   I tried a lot harder to look presentable for the next post-surgery flight home!

• plainjane64
    edited September 2009

Melanie!  So awesome you got to play!  I am so happy the weather worked out.  So very excited for you!  Stay as high as you sound girl-you're going to sail thru!  And it's an upper for the rest of us!  Did Dr. D give you a time frame for when you could play again-ask tommorrow?

I think I am going to try to ski....in March...I missed last season completely.  I put aerobic dance EFT's on hold until January.  If I CAN go for a scattered class I'm sure the teacher will let me in.

Gin, glad you're staying up!....sorry for the technical difficulties,frustrating! feel your pain-had to reformat recently....grrr.

Trishia?  thinking about you love.....anybody?...........  Bueler?(lol)

have a great tuesday everyone....I'll be in the or this time next week!  woo hoo!

xoxo,

jennifer