Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2009

Linda,

I stayed at Hope Lodge most of the time I was in SC for Stage 1. But I hear that's not an option for us surgical patients right now--they're are extemely full with people getting active cancer treatments.

Roper has discounts at many local hospitals. Some are in walking distance. I think I found a link to them on the Roper website. We stayed at a Best Western that had a restaurant attached. When I go for Stage 2 (Nov 16) I think we'll stay a little further away at Embassy Suites, since we know the area better.

Dr, Massey will be a busy gal in November. I'd like some of her frequent flier miles!!

Anne

• HopeForBest
    HopeForBest Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2009

Hello Ladies,

Hope everybody is doing well.

I am looking forward for my stage II. But I was called by my insurance yesterday, who is really surprised about the bills they have to pay for Stage I. They said for Stage II, I have to think a lot about it. 

Questions, how could you organise another hospital in NOLA? What is the price for stage II bilateral nipple reconstruction aproximately?

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Hope

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Hi all, 

Just wanted to report in on lumbar/butt drains. Mine are both very low, below 30cc, (all other drains gone now) for a few days now. Melissa had told me 2 days below 30 and they could come out. But she also mentioned this range of 3-6 weeks. So I called and sent email.

I got two calls back today. First Janine said as long as they stayed in the 20's this weekend, I could take them out Sunday/Monday. But then she called back and said Dr. D. wanted me to keep them in for 3 weeks (even though low) to help prevent sernoma.  So I will wait another 5 days!! Not a big deal...

Under my breasts still SOOOO SORE!!!! ahhck!

Spring. 

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

OH Spring, Ouch!  Follow Dr. D's instructions and you won't be sorry.  I know it is a pain in the drain though LOL!!

QUESTION TO ALL:  Has anyone heard of a group in San Antonio TX called PRMA?  They do DIEP and have 5 docs on staff.  I don't know if they all do this surgery though.  According to their website www.prma-enhance.com they participate with all major insurance companies and they don't balance bill.  Sounds enticing!

Linda

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited September 2009

Hi Linda, I've heard of them and looked at their site.  They have beautiful results if I remember correctly.  I think they would be on my list of top 5 places/docs I checked out.

Thanks Trishia for the info about Dr. Trahan.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2009

LindaG47 - Sounds great to have another option to look into. I wonder though how they are with out of state patients? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with NOLA there is no in office pre-ops until you are in town for your surgery, everything is done over the phone or through email with photos beforehand? I know one other surgeons office I called in Texas or on the East coast said I would have to come in for a new patient appointment, and all tests, and pre-ops. Well I'm in Oregon so that's certainly not doable to make so many trips.

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2009

Everything is happening quickly for me. My surgery date is Sept. 29 with Dr. Sullivan in NOLA. I'm having delayed DIEP (bilateral). My bca was in fall 2000, chemo in 2001, and second mastectomy in 2004. I was seven weeks pregnant when diagnosed, took chemo after I made it to the second trimester. I had a month off treatment to deliver the baby, then back on chemo a month after she was born. My little miracle is now in third grade! I have another daughter who just started middle school. I was 37 when I was diagnosed.

I'll be coming alone for my surgery, then my friend flies down the night before my scheduled discharge. We'll be at the Hope Lodge. I hope it's not too difficult to get to a grocery store from there...I have many food restrictions and need to purchase "safe" foods.

I guess a cab ride to the French Quarter wouldn't be too expensive, for some sightseeing. I was in NOLA for almost a week in fall 2004, but stayed in the French Quarter. Can't wait to go back!

This forum has provided wonderful information. Thank you ladies!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

Lindag47 - I had a consult w/Dr. Pisano at PRMA. I did have to fly there for a consult, they are not quite like NOLA, where you can just send photos and then have your appt. the day before surgery. I really did like Dr. Pisano and while I was there I met a lady who had bilateral DIEP w/Dr. Ledoux the week before. She was VERY pleased w/her results. The reason I went there initially was because they are indeed in network for me. I decided not to go there ultimately because they mainly do DIEP, and I just didn't have enough belly fat for DIEP. They do SGAP, but not bilateral simultaneous - it would have had to be done a few weeks apart. I think if you are a candidate for DIEP, that they would do a good job for you.

And, on that note, I am extremely pleased with the care and the results I have gotten from Dr. Sullivan and his associates in NOLA. I have cleavage!!! I wore a low cut shirt today with a normal (although not underwire!) black bra, and nobody would know the difference!!! I am sooooo excited!!! Of course wearing the drains under my shirt continue to make me look like I am pregnant... so I am not loving that part!

Spring, if you get your drains out before me, I am going to be sooooo jealous!!!

PS, I am also thinking of putting off my stage 2 until after the new year... it depends on how much time I need between hyst and stage 2. Will find out more details when I see my med onc in Oct, then speak w/my gyn surgeon. Which would be such a bummer, since I would get to meet Spring if I keep my appt as is! Well... we shall see what they say and go from there. I am not changing anything for now!

• LindaG47
    edited September 2009

Dragonfly, I don't know how they handle that, but I surely would give them a call especially if their credentials are good.  As Tricia said she would put them on her top 5 list.  Besides having a good outcome and positive experience the insurance is a huge thing.  I might call them just to see who they participate with and what they do about the tests and pre-ops, maybe it is even listed on their website. Most of these places realize you can't make a trip for a consultation and will take information over the phone and you can send photos.  I know some of the ladies on this board did just that.  You could get all your medical information from your surgeon and oncologist and forward that information to them. My doc has my prior medical information. Research is very important.  What is good for someone else isn't necessarily good for another.  Good Luck.  Linda

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

iamc - the cab from the Hope Lodge to the French Quarter is about 25-30 dollars each way. IF you want to ride the trolley, Sharon or someone else from the Hope Lodge will drop you off at the west end of the line on St. Charles Ave., then it is $1.25 to ride. I believe it goes almost all the way (if not all the way) to the French Quarter, and if you have to change lines, they will give you a transfer ticket. I personally did not get out much after surgery as I was battling some nausea issues from my antibiotic. The Hope Lodge is across the street from the Mississippi - so there is a lot of walking on the levy if you feel up to it (it is a paved path). We did do that one day and it wiped me out! As for the grocery store - my husband went there a couple of times with friends who had a car. He said it is not really in walking distance, but I don't know how much a cab would be to get there. At this point I can't even remember the name of the store, but they could tell you at the Lodge. Good luck!

Lindag47 - although I had to go to PRMA for the consult a head of time, I believe that they had said I could do all my pre-op stuff locally before I flew in for surgery. It doesn't hurt to give them a call.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

For those of you that have been there already.

I will probably be at Hope Lodge before surgery...Then the hospital & then Homeward suites.

I read on what to pack that dhs can stay at the hospital - How comfortable are the Murphy beds?

dh stayed with me the night I had my Hyst.   The cot was terrible it had a bar that dug into ones back. 

And if they stay there...Where do they shower?

Or is it better to just have them check into the Hotel while you are in the hospital.  Sure is extra $$ if they end up staying at the hospital with you.

How many had dhs or Family/friend stayed with you at the hospital?

Thanks,

Pam

• LindaG47
    edited September 2009

Hello from CT......Ooops, sorry I gave someone else the credit for the top 5 list.  Thanks for your input. 

Nordy, How is it you chose NOLA over PRMA?  Thanks for all your input also.

Linda

• LindaG47
    edited September 2009

Nordy, I must be a diz brain tonight.  I just re-read your post and now I know why you chose NOLA.  You have to forgive this old women.......dementia is setting in.  Embarassed

Linda

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

iamc.  I will still be around while you are in nola.  I am supposed to go back home 9/30...God willing!  Don't know where in Va you are.  melanie who had surgery on 9/16 also came down from virginia.  I'll be leaving sunday and have a pretty tight schedule until then.  I'll pm you my cell number.  We might even get to meet at my postop and your preop?  on 9/28?  That would be fun!

ok, mail stopped, mani pedi done, house basically clean, yard done.  Still doing laundry, tommorrow is hair, pack and girls night out......or last night w/ ducts and lobules?  at least in FTW............check, check, check..............can't wait to go on auto pilot.  I don't want to make any decisions or have to think or remember anything else......................for a while at least! lol!

xoxo,

jennifer

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2009

Yahoooooo I finished my last day of work today. I can't believe my time is so near. Got my hair cut today. Sat is pedi day, shop for sexy oversized panties, shoe laces,stool softners, lip balm and pack. I leave on Sunday for NOLA. I was ticked when they pushed my surgery back one day but now I have a whole day to myself with no appointments. I think I am going to spend the day enjoying all of the food delights the city has to offer. Plainjane we are going to PARTY on Burbon Street Monday night.

Ginnie I hope your drains start working and you are able to go home.

Spring hang in there. I am sure your incisions will start feeling better.

NOLA here I come!!!!!!!!!

• LindaG47
    edited September 2009

Best of luck to you Macksix6. You will be in good hands and all of us (I hope I can speak for all of us) wish you nothing but the BEST Kiss

Linda

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Stephanie...!!!! You and Jennifer are going to have a great time! At least before surgery! But probably a great time after surgery as well. It is so great having someone else there going through it with you!

Jennifer!!! I think I am going to call you tomorrow and just touch base with you! It is coming up so quickly! I really am so excited for you and Stephanie! Holy Cow!!!

Dejaboo - first let me say, smart move on the Homewood Suites after surgery. I wish I had done that just so that I could have had food in my room and nibble on Twizzlers all night!  But the Hope Lodge prior to surgery is great. Tuesday night is Bingo night... LOL, call me lame, but it really is fun! Okay, my husband stayed at the hospital with me. No worries there. I do not believe that they charge any extra for your spouse to stay w/you. That is why they have the murphy beds there. My husband did not complain a bit about the comfort of the murphy bed - and he is 6'4"! What he did complain about is not getting sleep just because either the nurses were in and out (which is to be expected - especially the first night when they are checking on your vitals and flaps every hour) or I was up and down all night! The nurses had brought in an eye cover for me to wear, and guess who adopted it! It is pink and black, and he wore it every night! It helped him sleep better - but really, do you ever get good sleep in the hospital? Well, except for the drug induced sleep right after surgery. It really depends on whether you prefer to have your husband there with you - I like having mine in the hospital with me. Especially because I was missing my kids so much. It was a good comfort to have him there! 

I think I am going to post a picture on here that my husband took of me in the hospital. It is not flattering AT ALL, but every time I look at it, I start cracking up. I was SO out of it! I think he took it the first night after surgery... every time I would wake up and start asking questions, he would tell me to "push your button"! Then I would fall back into my trance!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Thanks Nordy- Thats a funny storry about the Push your button.  You should post the picture.

So was your dh able to shower in your Hospital room?

Ok, So ever since I got my Date confirmed I have been having very wierd dreams!

Last night I was at the Hospital (In my Dream)  And me & dh were discussing the new belly button...Someone (im not sure which of you it was LOL)  Was rolling by in a wheel chair & heard our discussion & Stood up,  opened that nice fluffy robe I read about & Flashed us- LOL

Pam

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

Pam that is a riot,

Nordy, you are funny, call away.  I'll have the phone w/ me and I don't leave this eve until 5central.

Stephanie, New orleans wll not be the same when we get finished!  and KUDOS working up until the end.  I've had short timer syndrome the last week...actually left early because I was on the verge of having to check in to go help in the ER w/ the increased pt load due to influenza......I think I timed this medical leave PERFECTLY!

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

Hang in there, Spring. How are you feeling today?

Nordy and Spring, I will be so jealous if you both get your drains out before me. I know you will because I have a drain in each leg and I hear they last longer. 

I am three weeks post op and I just have to regulate myself and almost plan any activity. I have a small hematoma near my leg incision that is not being drained. When I do too much it hurts. I just got myself togther and dressed and now have my legs up so in an hour I can venture out with the family. I try and pace myself to not burn out. It is frustrating and I have cabin fever. I had a crying fit because I can not find my Kmart bra that I love. I soon got it together.(little stuff) 

All is going to go great Plain Jane!! Take advantage of all the kind nurses waiting on you!! Keep us posted. BIG HUGS to ALL having mastectomies this week!!!!!! God is watching down on all of you and your physicians!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2009

The pain in the breast fold may be from where the inframammary fold is reestablished if you have had delayed reconstruction...I had pain ther for a bit..

Marcias 2 cents

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2009

Macksix,

forgoe the sexy panties~ COMMANDO is the way to go!! Y'all are going to be in New Orleans after all!! Woo hoo for you and best wishes!!!

Marcia

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2009

Well I am finally feeling like this cold/flu is a little better.  Thank goodness!  I haven't been walking like I need to be to heal up.

That being said, I want to say that the recovery from stage 2, even with the additional surgery I had, is SO much easier than stage 1!!  I am a Passion Parties consultant and I did parties Thursday and last night.  Yes, less than a week after surgery!  I was fine.  I had my hubby drive and carry my demo kit in, but I was able to stand and walk around for the hour presentation just fine and then sit for the ordering.  No problems at all!  Even being sick!

And my left nipple is looking better!!!!  YIPPEEE!!!  I will probably lose a little bit of it, but not the whole thing.  I am SO grateful!!!!!!  

Good luck ladies this week!  Take time to enjoy the city before your surgeries!  It is a great place to be distracted from the pre-surgery jitters!!! 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Hi Trisha! Glad you are feeling a bit better. I have a local friend who told me "Stage 2 is a cake walk compared to Stage 1". I guess we'll see!!  Glad your nip is looking good!

IAMC: I added your specs to the list above.  If I am missing anybody else, let me know. I have been in a fog the last week or so, for sure...

Nordy!!! I wanted to meet you in early Dec!!  Oh no!! 

Good luck Brenda!!!  Report in when you can! We're rooting for you girl! 

Agree that Homewood for after surgery is ideal. Lots of space, walking distance to French Quarter, and tons of free food.(Full breakfast I think every morning, and light supper Mon - Thurs). LOL.

OH I posted this on the other thread, but will repeat here: (!!) GROSS story about my drains. Last night when I got out of bed in middle of night to pee, I forgot to gather up my drain pouch (I am using the ON-Q pain ball black pouch thing). I got out of bed and the bulbs stayed in bed and I was standing there with dripping hoses!!! I screamed and woke up DH who threw on the light, and I was saying, "Ive ripped the hoses off!". So anyway, they just pop back on , but (gross) there was "spray" all over my side of the bed. Totally disgusting!

4 more days to go with these suckers....  I am already well below the 30cc with both of them, for more days than is required, but they are wanting me to keep them the full three weeks minimum. I tell you, Wednesday these suckers are COMING OUT. I've now ripped the stitch on the right one anyway. Ugh. What a disaster!  

I think we are supposed to wear this binder thing for a week after the last drain comes out. I think I will feel like a free woman to get rid of this girdle thing!!! Can't wait.... 

Nordy, I've been told that increasing activity increases the output. you need to be still apparently. You need a slave!!! HA!  I am not still, but I am so sore in the boobs that I am not moving much, and not "jostling" myself!

Spring. 

• Nordy
    edited September 2009
    Spring: Arrrggghhhhh - Anne W. just posted to me too, that less activity = less output. Therefore, I am going to put my feet up this week. Oh... maybe not since I am looking at my hubby's schedule and he is working, then going to climb Mt. Adams. Well... I guess I will try to keep my girls subdued w/lots of coloring and books rather than taking a long walk. This right drain exit site is killing me today. I am not sure if it got yanked on or what, but it is so uncomfortable. I am hoping that it is just irritated and not developing an infection - am keeping a close eye on it! On losing your bulbs - I had to change mine out last week because the one way valve on the inside fell out and was floating around in there. Next time I will just request that they send me home with an extra "grenade"!
  • macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2009

Ladies this is too funny and I just have to share it with you. Well today I was running  around with all my last minute shopping items and I stopped in for a pedi at the local spa. While I was there I thought what the heck I would do a little bikini waxing. So I was lying on the table grinching while the nice young lady went about her business. It was taking longer than usual so I sat up to see what was going on and was shocked to find I was totally bald on the left side. I spoke to the young lady and told her that I had just wanted a bikini wax and she smiled and went about her business. What can I say her english was not very good. I couldn't just leave the other side so I had her continue so now I am as soft and hairless as the day I was born. I am sure I will be all the talk in the OR when everyone checks me out.

I have one more load of laundry and I am done. Fly out in the morning.

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

You know, sometimes it is such a pain to sign in to comment on things, but you totally have me cracking up over here! Oh my gosh! How in the world do you explain that one? Or do you explain it? How in the world do you bring that up? "Oh, and by the way, I am not normally hairless..." LOL   Its not like you don't have to be cathertized or anything... Oh... I am so laughing over here, I've got tears... I am sorry it is at your expense! Oh, gosh...

And on another note, I spoke to Jen today. You guys are going to have so much fun on Monday... I will be thinking of you both all week - especially on Tuesday and Wednesday. Again, and I can't say it enough, you are in the best of hands!

Anyone have any idea how to upload a picture to this post?

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited September 2009

I am probably too late for them to see, but I want to wish Jennifer and Stephanie all the best on their trips to NOLA and their surgeries!  Looking forward to hearing the great reports when you both return.

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Stephanie!!!

LOL!!!!! OMG!!!!

What a riot!!!

I was shaved down there, so you will have saved them that procedure in the OR!! 

Go Jen and Stephanie! Mel, hope you are okay...

Spring. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2009

Hahahaha!

You a BRAVE woman!  I waxed my legs and underarms for my stage1, but I was too chicken to do the bikini!  And you got a Brazilian!  I was shaved there also after stage 1, so all is good.  It will actually be a good thing!!!  Thanks for making me laugh this am!