Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010

Minn-I had to go back and find the story...Hilarious!

The dom outfit is really proving to be a pain. I literally cannot do it on my own and get dizzy during the process. So my lovely future SIL helps me last night and we end up putting it on inside out and backwards...OMG. I left it that way. I don't have the energy to fix it. I hope the Colace starts to work, but maybe not so soon. I'll have to fix the outfit if that is the case. :)

As a side note, anyone staying at Homewood Suites. They do have a shower chair if you want it or need it. :)

thanks for all the well wishes.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

CC- somewhere I read of the person NOLA uses for tatooes, and how very good he is.  He's one of the nurse's dh's.  He does the tattooing in a multi-color, so it looks 3D from a few feet back.  However, looking at their website, it seems that he may not be the only one doing tats, since the nipple photos have a variety of results.

• kcshreve
    edited April 2010

Mileha,  I hope you are downing the water.  I know having that outfit on is a deterrent all on it's own (I'll be wearing one starting tomorrow), but ya gotta do the water with Colace - mega.  And walking is another component.  For me, fresh celery is the third part of it all. KC/Christine

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

What type of compression garment does one wear after stage 2 lipo of the outer thighs?  Anyone know?  I am also hoping to have my DIEP scar lowered, so that might affect what they want to put me in too.

Thanks.

• kcshreve
    edited April 2010

Hello - the infamous dominatrix body girdle is what you'll wear.  They have two compression options - the body girdle, or the tummy binder.  If they do anything more than just your tummy incision, you'll get the black torture outfit. Not looking forward to this part myself.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2010

KC... I love the dominatrix outfit... teehee... it is so... ummm... sexy. LOL... No really, it does have its sex appeal. Tongue out    Good luck tomorrow!

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Christy - I have that same question myself... would love to go back to NOLA for tats, well, just because I would... but also have a hard time leaving my kids and it just seems so much easier to just have it done locally. I have seen my local PS's aesthetician's work and it is beautiful. Still working on that decision... plus economically, it just makes sense to stay home. So... quite a dilemma.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Donn is the guy in NOLA who does the tattoo's and is the nurse's husband. He's very, very good and very, very sweet. He comes to the Center and does your tit tats there. He spent an hour and a half on just my one nipple! Obviously he has lots of experience. But the decision is up to you where/who does it.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2010

Tammy, I bought stuff for my page yesterday, but will have to get it to you in May or give it to the Center when I am there the third week of May. 

In the existing book, there was one woman who attached a little flap that you could peek under to see surgery photos, and I'd like to do the same but I'm trying to figure out how I could attach this if the sheet has a protective sleeve on it.  Any ideas?

Nordy, my husband thinks the garments are sexy too!  That's why I wore it for 10 weeks after my second surgery!   LOL

I have to get to bed, as I leave for NOLA in the morning and have to get out for my walk at the beach first, and take care of last minute stuff for the office before heading to the airport.  Looking forward to spending time with Alaina, Eve, LouAnn, Marcia and anyone else I can possibly meet while there!

~Nip Girl signing off!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Sandy how long are you going to be in NOLA ?? I will be there on the 27th in the evening.

• Jaimieh
    edited April 2010

Sandy how long are you going to be in NOLA ?? I will be there on the 27th in the evening.

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited April 2010

How do they lower your DIEP scar?  That's something I might be interested in but want to know more. 

Christy - I have the same issue.  I want to have everything done at NOLA but really can't afford to go back that last time for just an office visit to have the tats done.  Will check around locally to see who's the best here.  Anyone in TN have it done locally yet? 

Well, my 22 year old son came home yesterday with a broken foot and he doesn't have any insurance.  We checked around and took him to the doctor and had mininual x-rays done and they confirmed broke foot.  He's going to have to be off it for 6-8 weeks.  They suggested taking him to ortho so I'm checking to see how much that will cost along with a boot they recommended.  At least, I'm 4 weeks out and don't need much help any longer, so now I'm taking care of him. 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Oh Cat so sorry for your luck., it seems like it is always something. I am so ready to go back to NOLA my incision is looking worse by the day. Even my  sister who is an RN said she is glad I am going back, She said a lot of dead tissue is on the incision. Literally Black spot the size of a small fist. Then I have parts of the incision that are open with yellow gunk. But it feels like I something is eating away at it, that may sound  weird but it just burns, and all I am suppose to put on it is betadine. Tommorrow I fly out at 5:40 AM from Ithaca NY and get to NOLA at 10:30 and go right to the hospital for admittance and IV antibiotics. I am now flying home on Sunday but my understanding is I am in the hospital til Sunday and go right from there to airport. I am very lucky that my aunt is going with me again. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2010

Sally - ugh that sounds pretty bad Sally... I am really glad you are going back asap...I hope the fix is easy and painless!!

kc and Louann.... good luck!

Has anyone heard from FourBoyMom?  I hope all went well yesterday!  Rooting for you Cincinnati!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2010

KC, hang in there. I had the plication - I am not not quite 5 months out, but I was doing Yoga (carefully!) at about 6-8 weeks out, I mean  A CLASS, I was doing at home prior. 

I had ONC appt today, they were, how can I say, AMAZED at my new nipple. I have one of my "own" and one created by Dr. D. She came in about 2 inches away, was pushing, touching, COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. She said, That is the best nipple I have ever seen... (!!!)

It is moments like this that I am so very glad I went all out and went to NOLA. Well, every day I am glad really, I feel so RESTORED!!! But it is moments like this that make me smile, and say, Yeah, damn straight!!!

:)

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

Ok, so I got my stage 2 scheduled! I'm scheduled for July 15th, I need to get everything figured out though as far as travel and arrangements.

I will fly in on Tues and have surgery on Thurs and fly home Sunday.

Those of you who've had stage 2- what arrangements do you have to have as far as someone with you? I'm trying to figure out my travel companion part :)

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

I forgot to mention before - if you PM Facecrafter and tell her where you are located, she will give you the name of a tattoo artist who is skilled in areola tats.

Sally - I am so glad that you are going and really hope that everything works out well. It will be good to have that necrotic tissue debrieded and resutured, and then you can start moving forward again!

So... I have decided to permantly wipe April 21 off of my calendar... My 2 year old fell head first out of the shopping cart today and we spent 2 hours in the ER with her for a closed head injury. The doc recommended holding off on a CT scan because of radiation and just watching her closely for the next 24 hours. I can't believe it happened... I am pretty sure I will not be up for a mother of the year award... and no, she wasn't strapped in... but she hasn't attempted to climb out of the cart... in... at least a year! And she was just out of my grasp to catch her. Trust me when I say, a child's head hitting tile covered cement will be a sound that will stay with me forever... as will the guilt that goes with the fact that she was injured while with me. Not a good day, to say the least.

And on a better note - it was 5 years ago today (hence the other reason I would like to ditch April 21) that I was diagnosed with stage 2B grade 3 invasive breast cancer... the day before my baby turned 3 months. I am happy to say that I am still here... still cancer free (at least that we know of, knock wood) and thanks to Dr. Sullivan and the wonderful staff in NOLA, my body has been restored and is nearly as good as new!

And on yet another note - I stopped off to my local PS today to drop off some old paperwork and I showed her my stage 2 results. She is absolutely amazed. She said - and I quote, "Those are the most beautiful reconstructed breasts that I have ever seen. Mine are pretty good, but those are absolutely beautiful." (She does TRAM and implants) So there you have it. 

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Hope all went well today for KC, and yesterday for 4boysmom!

LouAnn - You are up this week! Woooohoooo!

• holtbolt
    edited April 2010

Aww.. Nordy.. I am so sorry about your daughter's fall... I just know how scary that is ... when my son was the same age I was holding him walking up the driveway and my foot got hooked in this invisible fence wire sticking out of the ground and we went down.... the first thing that hit the driveway was my son's forehead.. the sound I will never forget.. and then I fell on top of him... it was so so scary and awful ... but he survived without serious problems.. thank God.  Don't feel guilty... stuff happens.... I hope she's as good as new soon.... but note to (your) self.. next April 21st... maybe you should just sleep in... like all day... lol..... j/k

• kcshreve
    edited April 2010

Hey, girls. Surgery went well, everything is where it should be now. :)  I don't know how I'm going to make it for 14 days, 24/7 in the body girdle, though. Honestly and truly, I have no idea.  My dogears are exactly under the hooks and eyes. Ow! I'm quite padded with abdominal pads, which has been a bit helpful. I had to get the next size up, which doesn't have much compression, because it was cutting into my ribs, which aggravates lymphedema.  Also, I've been nauseous and faint. Ugh!  The breasts look very good, though.  I will definitely be glad to be past this!  I'm not a griper, but you'd never know it by my recent postings.

• holtbolt
    edited April 2010
    kc... good to hear!!  this can be all very overwhelming at times... I'm so ready to be done with surgeries and treatments... it's hard NOT to gripe sometimes... I'm glad the breasts look good!!! yay!
  • mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010

KCSHREVE-somehow I didn't realize we would overlap. I think the narcotics were impacting my abilities. I was there today for post consult.

I only have THREE drains left. This may seem like a lot, but I went in with 6, so I'm very happy with 3. Flying out tomorrow, and very excited to go home and see my baby girl. Overall, feeling pretty good today. Made it John Besh's steakhouse at Harrahs. Pricey, but YUMMY. I hope to see more of the city in round 2. :)

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited April 2010

Nordy, I hope your little girl is OK. The things that happen with kids! One of my daughters (age 3 at the time) fell and opened her forehead just over her eye - she was right next to me, in a neighbor's living room. Just so you know things heal - she's 26 now and running after her own little girls. Another daughter fell and opened her chin. It was in her bedroom, and as far as we can tell she fell on a dust mote.

Though I agree with Holtbolt - sleep through April 21 next year.

Leah

• Jaimieh
    edited April 2010

Nordy~ Sorry your baby fell out of the cart.  I am sure she is going to be fine and it happens to all of us.  You are still Mom of the Year :)  Now for as far as erasing the day I am happy that you are here :), well and give the rest of us some great advice.  I look forward to next year you announcing 6 years......and many repeats......

KC~ I hope you start feeling better soon.  My drain sites came out where the dom. outfit hocks meet.  NOT FUN, NOT FUN!!!

Getting more nervous about next week.......the good thing is that my kids are in so many sports, trying to get our gardens going, spring cleaning and getting things ready a week ahead of time is keeping me busy, busy.

Has anyone heard from Pam ??  I was just wondering how she is doing.

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Sallym unfortunately it sounds like you have an infection. Hopefully the antibiotics and surgery can clean everything up. It is good that you will finally be there tomorrow and they can look after you. Good luck with everything.

Nordy you are certainly not the first mom to have an injury to a child in your care. I can think back to when my oldest daughter was 3 and my husband was helping her off a carnival ride and she slipped and cut her head. Blood everywhere ( scalp wounds bleed ) nothing 10 stitches couldn't fix. Yet another time while under my care at the park the oldest daughter once again, fell off the slide backwards about 6 feet to the ground, inches from my grasp. Today she is a petroleum engineer, hard to believe she survived her childhood with her parents.. Stuff like this happens. Hope your daughter is OK. When she becomes a cancer doctor one day you can laugh about it.

KC and Lou Ann sending you healing thoughts.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2010

KC - Glad you're on the other side now. I hope you feel better each day.

Sally - I hope things get cleared up for you soon with this next trip. I'm glad you're going to have it checked out in person.

Trishia - Woo hoo for you and your sister! I am breathing a big sigh of relief for you!

Nordy - Happy Cancerversary to you! Number 5! I'm sorry your little one had to take a nose-dive. We never forgive ourselves for those, do we? She will be okay - we have had some scares like that too, and it all turned out okay. And now I am going to start strapping my girl into the shopping cart again since I have TOTALLY slacked off on that too.

Everyone else - hello! Still catching up, but glad you're all chatting away as usual!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2010

Jaimie, Eve and I are here through Saturday, so we will miss you by just three days!  I am so sad about that.  Maybe when you have your tattooing done I will be here again.  We met up with LouAnn and her friend Shelly tonight, and had a fabulous dinner at Arnaud's.  The food was awesome and then we walked for a bit on Bourbon Street.  LouAnn is in fine spirits and they both are a blast to be with.   Eve and I were laughing until our stomachs ached. 

Nordy, prayers for your baby.  I'm so sorry that your daughter fell today.  It seems like we all go through some very frightening times with our kids, and somehow they manage to grow up just fine.  Please let us know how she is doing tomorrow.  

Sandy

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

Hearing about the child falling out of the cart reminds me of my own son doing a face plant in the driveway off of a pogo stick...still sports the scar where his bottom teeth cut completly  through his lip. He wears it like a badge of honor now!! Meanwhile, I cringe every time i see a Pogo stick!

Dr. D said my last drain could finally come out (after 8 weeks) and it's still putting out 47 cc, but I guess it's been in longer than most. Just wanted to share that in case some of you wind up dragging a drain around longer than the 4 weeks you originally thought you would!I'm justhappy to exchange the black Dom outfit for something smoother to wear.

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Thank you everyone... it is good to know that I am not alone in the injured child drama, but I felt/feel so guilty! (And slightly stupid) Feeling beside myself is an understatement. I am now up... because I have to wake my daughter every two hours to check her pupils and make sure she is okay. I figure I might as well not sleep... but in actuality, I know I am way too old to pull an all nighter, so am going to set my cell phone for every two hours. She is now sporting a nice swollen black eye (which the nurse said to expect) so seeing into that side to check her pupil is a more difficult task than anticipated. So far she has been okay - acting herself, no loss of consciousness, no vomiting, equal pupils... but I know to keep a close eye... so it will be a long night.

Tam - hurray on the loss of drains!!!! I kept mine for a long time, as did Pam and Anniese. Then I had to have mine drained so many times after that that I lost count... and had to have 2 new smaller drains placed (by my local PS) for an additional 2 weeks. Hence the reason I am taking Stephanie's advice and not going crazy on the exercise this time - seroma=been there done that!

Oh, how I wish I was in Nola with everyone right now... I could really use some beignets and hot chocolate from cafe dumonde!

• Jaimieh
    edited April 2010

Has anyone had a rash develop around and incision??  I noticed yesterday that I had a rash on my backside.  It doesn't itch, burn or feel red but now I am concerned...I do not want to be canceled next week.  It was horrible trying to schedule everything and get everything ready.