Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2010

Trisha, 

What is this a biopsy for? I am out of the loop! (Work is insane). I am thinking you. Will look for you on FB. 

If somebody told me to do something and I didn't do it, PM me. I try to keep up but obviously I am dropping some balls!

I bought a pair of skinny jeans. My lower ab protrusion is a bit better, and I just didn't want to wait any more. IT FEELS GREAT!  

Minn, I got jeans with nice big pockets on the back, I think then accentuate the butt. !!!! Doesn't look at all like a flat butt!!

Just sayin'' Go for the pockets! :)

Spring. 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

Mileha is out of surgery and doing well per her hubby!

I had my procedure today and all i can say is wow. I literally passed out during it, not sure if it was from not eating or drinkingg for 8 hours or if it was from the pain. yuck, and now i can still feel the pleura in my lungs rubbing together so im not sure what it accomplished besides taking 2 cups of fluid.

• Springtime
    edited April 2010

JENNIFER JANE??? Where are you?? Sending you a PM. someone else was missing you too! 

YIKES Melinda!  

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

So glad to hear about Mileha! But YUCK on the procedure.  ACK!  I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  

Thank you all for the well wishes. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

Gin, Given your incision lines, do you think this swelling may be related to lymphedema? I do not have any experience with this specific procedure, but my LE affects my armpit and side.  If you wonder about this, a LANA certified therapist could help sort this out.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

((Melinda)) You must feel awful.

Trishia - hoping your results are back pronto, and are benign.

Sally- do you think the binder helps you, although Dr D worries that it is too tight?  What happens if you loosen it a bit?  Do you lose the support you need? 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Camian - LOL! Don't you love getting all that attention! I love it! And they will soften. My first one softened to where it felt just like the original - and remember, I still had my original to compare it to.

Hot-Bold - They will be just where they need to be at 3 months - it's amazing how that works.

Jeskachi - Don't tell me they won't shrink drastically! Wait, how can I be dishing out info, yet also asking for it? Okay - my first recon was a delayed DIEP, so I can speak to that. This immediate skin-sparing business - what if it's different? What if this breast does stay this huge??!!!!

Sue - does it help to unhook the bottom hook. that's what i'm doing. And hey, I only asked for a B to match my other B. I can only imagine how big this would be if I'd asked for a D! Holy Moly!

kcshreve - Really, I don't think the gluteal tissue is denser than the abdominal or breast tissue fat. I compared A to B, first time around, and they both felt the same. Now I guess I don't know yet about how G compares to A... If A = B, and A = G, then B = G, right?

Spring - LOL! Yes, I remember you recommended pockets! At this point, all I can deal with is the huge boob!!!!! 

Melinda - So sorry you're having to go thru this torture! Geez! You are really, really tough.

Mileha - Yay!!!!!! Congrats on being on the other side!

Trishia - You will make it to Friday. We're all waiting with you...

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2010

Minn- It's much easier to go down in Stage 2 than go up. don't worry!

Besides, my frame of reference might be a little skewed. I went from DDDD to DD in 5 months... almost 2 full cup sizes.  So there's hope for ya  still ;)  I know your pain... I expected to wake up a D-cup, instead I got really heavy Gs. Dr. M said they were even heavier than my originals! (less  projection though, so I could finally see my toes when I looked down--they *seemed* smaller, anyway). They put in more weight than they took out! She almost seemed a little sheepish about how big they were, but I think she knew they would shrink.  I don't think they'll shrink to a D, but DD is about right for me.

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited April 2010

Trisha - hang in there, praying for B9 results.

Sally - way to go - you got rid of a drain!  It feels so much better without those nasty things!

Minn & Jeskachi - your needing to do down in size.  How about if your not happy with your size and you want to go up? 

Dr. D said he could get a full B or small C for me (which was ok) - well I ended up with an A.  I asked and they can't put in enough fat to get me to a full B and said he would discuss options at stage 2 pre-op.  Does anyone know what they can do to get a bigger size? 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

Just got an email from Jeanine and they want me to come back on Wednesday with surgery on Thursday or fly Thursday with surgery Friday. He may put me in the hospital night before for IV antibiotics. This works out well for me because my son is on spring break. Thanks for all your well wishes and keep the prayers coming

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

Sounds like a good plan sally...you will feel much better after Dr. D takes care of it.  I'm sure he'll fix you right up and you'll be back on the road to recovery in no time!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010
    Cat...I ended up being a size B after my stage 1 and wanted to be a C, so Dr S gave me a small implant and also a bigger implant in my healthy breast to match.
  • LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2010

Hi Ladies:  Thank you for all of the warm wishes (and thank you CharlestonGirl (Chris) for keeping everyone posted).  My SGAP surgery was Monday and just as Chris reported, all went very well.  My husband and I are just thrilled with the results - this entire experience has greatly exceeded our expectations.  Dr. M gave me a nice full B/small C - with wonderful symmetry (one side was a delayed reconstruction after radation and the other side was a flap augmentation).  The football size scar is not only small - the skin matches remarkably well.  Pain has been manageable and I have walked about an hour so far today (I pretty much just sleep, eat and walk).  Dr. M is a not only a brilliant surgeon, she is an amazing artist with the most caring bed side manner.  She and I have been totally on the same page since day one and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.  Very happy for all of those extra days I spent putting in the pain at the gym, I hope it pays off. 

CharlestonGirl (Chris) has totally taken me under her wings - she is the most lovely, generous, kind woman.  I even think she and her hubby are taking my DH out tonight!  I have totally fallen in love with Charleston - it is really a beautiful town.

Lilmissmuffet is 2 doors down and I hope to either meet her in the halls today or I will peak in and meet her tomorrow.  I still have to meet Phoffa (Patti) - though may have to swing back by the hospital after I am discharged tomorrow to meet her.  My husband and I are staying at Hope Lodge which I can't say enough good things about.  The facility is gorgeous- but it is the people and volunteers who run the Lodge who are just so accomodating and exceptional.  

Take care all!  Liz

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

sally- im glad the timing works out well for you. I'm sure Dr D will do everything in his power and fix the issue.

As for going up a size- Dr S told me it was much harder to go up a size than down. Mainly implants are the only option. He said they can inject fat but it doesnt usually take that well.

Trishia- Im waiting for your results- i know you are too, but just wanted to let you  know I'm thinking about you!

Mileha is sitting up in a chair today and feels ok so thats a good thing!

I feel better today after sleeping for 11 hours lol. But the rubbing of my pleura in my lungs is still there. And its painful. I hope it goes away soon. I'm already back to work at job #1 which is a work from  home job, and I postponed job #2 to the 26th to give me more time.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2010

Liz, glad you are doing so well! I loved Charleston, too, and was sorry not to be able to spend time with Chris. I'm so glad that you're at the Hope Lodge. It wasn't available for my Stage 2, but we stayed there the first go-round. I had no problem getting to the dining room for my meals and snacks. I was so impressed with that place--I gave a sizeable donation when I left. So nice to see where ACS money actually goes!

When you're up for another walk, I highly recommend the Hominy Grill a few blocks away for some out of this world Low Country cooking!

Keep up the good recovery! And if you see Patti, tell her hi for me!

Anne

• Springtime
    edited April 2010

Minn, you have one huge boob? This must be to go with "BIG BRA"??? LOL. 

Sally sounds like a plan.

CCBaby, did you get a small implant on your RADs side? (did you have rads?) My rads side is smaller, and I'd also heard fat injections would not work as well. I wonder if a small implant is NOT recommended on the rads side b/c of the risk of capsular cantracture. (sprelling).  

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010

Greetings

I have been away for a few days. Trish, I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope all turns out well.

I have a question for those who had seromas in their butt. I was drained today and they only got 15 cc after two weeks since my last draining, but it still feels full (and uncomfortable) to me. I am wondering if there are deeper seromas. Have other people felt this full feeling even when the seromas were virtually gone? If so, how long did it last? Did you do anything to relieve the full feeling? Has anyone had deeper seromas? If so, how were they detected? If a sonogram is used, how does the PS use the results to get to the seroma? Clearly, I am confused about the logistics of how this all works.

Feel free to PM me if you have info on these issues. Many thanks.

Margit

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Margit~ I was only drained once and the plastic surgeon and her assistant (who was pushing all over my backside) only got out 10cc's.  It took about 2 weeks in compression for the full feeling to go away.  I hope it goes away real soon.

Starting to get nervous.....I leave in 12 days for stage 2....oh, my.......  I hate leaving my babies for surgery :( and my poor DH will be on his own. 

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Trisha I am praying for good news tomorrow for you and your sister. And by the way you look GREAT!!!!!! I love how you have taken this opportunity and made the most of it. You go girl.

Melinda I am so sorry you have had to go through so much. Let's hope this is the end of your problems and it is steady recovery from here on out.

Eve not to worry about the big boob. It is most likely swelling and will go down if not Dr D can reduce the size at stage 2. I agree with Beverly about the jeans with pockets on the butt. I have never had much of a booty but after stage 1 there was nothing so I found that wearing jeans with pockets really helped.

Sally just go. They will look after you and clean up the problems you are having. I think it was Plainjane that had incision problems and she went back for stage 2 early and they cleaned everything up and it healed very quickly afterwards.

Liz so happy things went well for you. Speedy recovery.

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2010

Anne, you are so right - the Hominy Grill is just one of the many yummy places to eat in downtown Charleston and is near the hospital. They have a brunch to die for!

Yep, Liz, we took your hubby to a RiverDogs baseball game and met up with some friends. We left at the 7th inning to escape the chilly night; but it was fun! Hope to see ya'll this weekend!!

All you other ladies heading (or in) Charleston - if I can help while ya'll are here just PM me.

• ccbaby
    edited April 2010

Springtime... I had rads with an expander and burned very badly from it and that is the reason why I had to have the flap surgery. And yes, I got the small implant on that side. Dr S said that since the tissue in there wasn't breast tissue anymore and since he had also replaced my skin, that my risk for capsular contraction was lower.

Trishia....good luck with your results tomorrow.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Jaimie - I can't believe it's already time for your stage 2! I'm assuming all the financial stuff was finally worked out, thank goodness!

Springtime - Ha ha. Yes, finally a big breast to actually fit the Big Bra! I know a lot of it must be swelling, and I know, intellectually, that it will get smaller, but it is just so in my face!!!!  I think that it actually looks a bit smaller today, but then my husband said he really didn't know - which I think translates to he doesn't think so.

Trishia - Here's praying you get good news tomorrow!

Okay, I had an unbelieveable thing happen today. And I bet I'm probably the only one to have this happen - chime in if I'm not... Please!

A friend took me out to lunch - I'm still not driving and still on occasional codeine - not that this has anything to do with that, but maybe it is somewhat of an excuse... So I was wearing my dominatrix with some navy sweat pants that tie at the waist, and a top, and a sweater tied around my waist to camoflage the drains, and then brought another sweater with, in case I actually needed to wear one.

I have recently taken to not always wearing a pair of underwear over the dominatrix, as I usually do, since I'm just wearing sweat pants and stuff, usually not even going out, and it's kind of comfortable...We were sitting in the restaurant for quite a while, and then my friend was asking me about my surgery and it's a small restaurant and some people just sat down at the table right next to us, so we shifted to the other 2 chairs at the table so they wouldn't have to be hearing about this stuff while trying to have lunch.

So we keep talking and talking and having lunch, and at a certain point I noticed that, geez, it felt practically like I didn't even have any sweat pants on, because my skin felt so close to the wood of the chair, and I thought, "Boy, this is something, not wearing underwear with the dominatrix - pretty cool." So we finally decide we're done eating and talking and my friend gets up and goes to hail the waitress to get our bill.

So I stand up, and to my complete and utter horror, my sweat pants fall totally down my legs! Like to my knees!!!!!!!!!!! And it happened so fast, in like a nanosecond! And I had to bend over to pull the dang things up and then tie the string at the waist! And thank God my friend had her back to me, and no one was sitting in front of us, but then I turned around and there were people still sitting at tables behind us!!!!!!!! And I glanced really quick and saw no one obviously gawking (tho if I had seen something like this, I would have totally looked away before the person saw that I saw!) and I just could not believe that this had just happened and that my pants fell down in public!!!!

This was like one of those nightmares you have!!!! And I had on the dominatrix with NO UNDERWEAR! So I just pretended like nothing had happened and didn't even tell my friend and tried to tell myself it hadn't happened either!!!!! But then when I got home, I pulled down the sweat pants and looked at the back of me, and that hole goes way up! And you can see a lot!!!!! And I'd had to bend over, too!!!! And I will never know if anyone saw this or not!

What the f---?! How could I not know my own pants were falling down?! Is it because my rear end is numb? Is it because the dominatrix fabric kind of makes you not feel everything? And did I really think that, while I apparently may have been sitting on that chair with my pants already part way down, that they were still up and that feeling my rear end on that chair was normal?!!! And thank God I had my other sweater hanging over the back of that chair, or maybe my bare rear end would have been visible the whole time I was sitting there!!!!!!!!! And this may even be worse than when I was in 6th grade and I got to school, took off my coat, and found out I had forgotten to put on my skirt !!!!!!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

OMG Minn~I am freaking crying I am laughing so hard right now.  I'm so sorry to laugh at your pain and angst, but damn...that story is funny as hell!! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2010

Eve, thank you for making my day!! A laugh like that so early in the morning bodes well...Sorry you had to go through that, but thanks for sharing! You're a hoot!

Those drawstring pants are so soft, they just slip right off. The Dom probably keep you from feeling it happen! Ah, I missed that experience...

I think this story will get a lot of mileage!!

Anne

• ccbaby
    edited April 2010
    Minnesota...I am laughing not at you, but with you (hopefully) I know the feeling of pants not staying put, but it didn't happen to me in public.
  • holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2010

Minnesota !! LOL.  the other patrons must have thought you were on crack (no pun intended). lol. That Dominatrix outfit is EVIL.. sure they can put a sweet little pink flower on the front to try and fool us into liking it... but make no mistake.. it's pure EVIL! lol

Liz - you sound fantastic!  So glad it went well!!

Sally - that sounds like a plan.. safe travels... I'm sure some of the anxiety will lift when you are back at the center.... 

I am going to Cincinnati to take my mom out for  steak to celebrate her last chemo treatment.. and then to visit my BFF's .. I had my son get all the Top 40  songs from the early 70's and burn them onto discs for us to sing along to over a few cocktails... (you know.. Horse with No Name, Brandy,  American Pie.. stuff like that.. ).  He found 107 songs and now it's a 5 disc box set... lol....what a good boy :)   Have a great weekend everyone!  

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

Holt, sounds like a blast!  Love those songs!  Also great to hear your mom is finished with chemo!  Have a great weekend and tell us all about it when you get back.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Okay Minn. I am so sorry that I am laughing so hard at your experience.....lol.....  that is something that would have happened to me...lol....  I think I have everything taken care of $ wise but I am sure I will find out in 11 days.  The last time they sent someone in during my exam....which I really didn't like.....but I love Dr. S so I just smile and get thru it. 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited April 2010

Minnesota, just keep telling yourself NO ONE SAW! NO ONE SAW! NO ONE SAW!

Holtbolt, can I come along just to sing? Please? 

Leah

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited April 2010

Minnesota - OMG!  What stories we have to tell!  From peeing in our underwear to pants falling down, we've got em all!  That was a good one!  I agree with Leah, NO ONE SAW!  NO ONE SAW!  You'll never see those people again anyway!