Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Minn- my local doctor never received my CT. I got it last week ans I now need to give it to my onc. I think he is going to have me follow up with a gyn.....I have a 2cm cyct :( when I'd your appt ??

LouAnn and Fourboys- I hope everything goes well this week and that your healing goes quickly.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

My appt isn't until May 5th! I don't think I can wait that long. I think I have to call. So does the scan just show kind of the stomach/abdomenal area? I can't remember except that I think they were just scoping out where the veins were? Or were they also looking at the breast veins? The cysts I'd had had disappeared and my gyn removed a uterine polyp a few months ago. I sure hope there's nothing new there.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

Minn, I would say it shows from just under the breasts all the way down to the pelvic area.  For those whose scans were mailed directly to them (like me) there is a cover letter that says if anything on the scan is highlighted you need to f/u with your PMD.  I didn't have anything highlighted but I saw some things on there that I want to have checked out.  Sometimes ignorance IS bliss...(not really, but it seems like it.) 

Suzanne

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010

Umm, question about butt seroma. Once the drain comes out, is it normal to have what seems like a *little* fluid buildup around the incision area? I've been checking and last night I notice that if I poke one side of the incision, a slight wave ripples over to the other side. Nothing big, but definitely a little wave. There is still a big indentation where the flap was harvested. I was wondering if this is the beginning of a seroma, or is a little fluid just normal? Ugh...would much appreciate anyone who's had the GAP or hip flap to share whether they had this happen after drain removal. Thanks. 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2010

Hi!  Had a great weekend... now I have to catch up on reading....

Trishia.. YAY..!!  Excellent news for you and your sister :)

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010

HI Camiam

I am not an expert, but I did have 2 months of seromas after my SGAP donor site drains were removed. I am happy to report they they seem to be resolved..finegrs are still crossed. Do you have a local plastic surgeon who can drain them, if necessary?

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010

Thanks! I'm sure I do- I have a local breast surgeon who, if he can't do it, has a plastic surgeon who works with him so I'm sure he can if necessary. I'm just trying to figure out if this seems like a normal thing, since it's not much at all, not uncomfortable, etc. But it is slightly but definitely wavy upon pressing, so I know there's fluid under there. 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2010

camiam~the "wave' you are describing is fluid.....I had the same issue once I began exercising again....ugh!! Although it was not painful, the fluid  caused me to feel 'tight' in those areas. After speaking with the center, I went to my local PS - he drained a total of 110 cc's from three different areas the first week, 75 cc's the 2nd week, and 35 cc's the third week. Celeste told me to hold off on having anything else done until my  stage II, which is Friday....good thing - my abdomen has the look of a tick that is ready to explode!!  :)

You may want to call the Center Monday - Good luck!!

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2010

My bone mets were found on the CTA before surgery.  I had a PETSCAN in Sept, that did not pick this up. 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

Mileha got discharged from the hospital today so yay! She has 6 drains but she did have a stacked, still holy crap, i hope she gets some of those pulled asap.

I'm hoping this week is my turning point. My breathing is getting better and the pain is lessening so thats good. I think my tummy incision opening looks much much better, but my 2 breast incisions started bleeding  a bit today. I'm sure Nola will be able to give me some help tomorrow when i talk to them.

Plus I think I';m going to schedule my stage 2 when i talk to them too.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2010

OMG... I can't stop laughing to even finish reading the rest of the posts... EVE, YOU ARE HYSTERICAL. I have tears rolling down my face I am laughing so hard... I can't believe your pants dropped... LMAO...

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Camiam I just had fluid drained off on Friday  from my left butt, 4 wks post op from stage 2. Sometimes ( I think I was exercising too much) you build up fluid. As long as there is no real discomfort you should be OK. I started feeling like it was going to burst so I called the center and they made arrangements for a radiologist to drain it. Your body should be able to absord small amounts of fluid ( 20cc or so) Keep an eye on it and if it starts to feel really tight call the center.

Mileha welcome to the other side. You will most likely drop both of those breast drains on your post op visit. Get lots of rest, drink lots and walk.

FourBoyMom and Kcshreve looks like you gals are next up. Good luck!

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

Finally. I got through it all... I tell you... You can't leave for a day around here!

My thoughts and prayers to Alaina... Sandy, please let her know I am thinking about her.

Fluid - I had my butt drained so many times I lost count... If it hurts and moves like a water bed - it probably needs drained. (Stephanie - Sorry to hear about yours!!! I was planning on returning to biking this week - having read your post, maybe I will wait one more week!)

Glad to hear our stage 1's this week are doing well.

Trishia - You know I am so, so happy for you!

Sorry to be so short - got to get the girls to bed and have been away this past week. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

Markups tomorrow afternoon.  Very mixed feelings.  Did the fun stuff today - begniets, river walk, a street fair, groceries at Whole Foods.  I've got lots of questions, I hope they can answer, especially about lymphedema and what I want done.  I found a pretty fleur d'lis charm I like for a necklace.  This is the one thing I wanted to bring back for a souvenier. Very mixed feelings about meeting Dr S again tomorrow. We were told to block 2:30-5:45 for appts between anesthesia and Dr S.  I don't remember it taking that long last time.  Anyone remember how long your markups went?

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2010

KC,

I dont remember exactly how long the appoinment for marking was..but I DO remember how exciting it was to discuss with Dr S what I wanted (really, I just trusted his judgement)...and I do remember thinking WOW! this is the REALLY good part~The markings did tickle tho but watching him draw and "redesign" me was very cool! I just knew when all was said and done that I'd would look better than I had in along time....AND I began to feel better,in general.

I hope you find this inspiring and hopeful and that you will be just as happy when you are DONE!

gentle hugs,Marcia

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

Just fininihshed reading all the updates from over the weekend, good thoughts going out to all of you !

Also, wanted to remind you I am leaving for NOLA (phase 2) in 5 weeks. That means I need to start getting your scrapbook pages for the Thank you book we are giving to Dr. D and Dr. S! The book will be so much more meaningful if it has lots of your  pages instead of just mine! PM me if you need my address, and feel free to call me if you have questions about the book. I'd like to have the book put together by May 15, so that gives you 4 weeks to get it to me.Laughing Can't wait to see them all!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010

Thanks Mel for posting the updates.

I'm doing okay. Went to Walgreens from Podryas and that was a bit exhausting. Came back and then took a cab to Red Fish. It was yummy. Need to figure out the constipation issue. Nothing is moving..:(

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

Mileha~I'm so glad you are out and about moving.  Have you tried the senna tablets (I think that's what they are called)?  They worked wonders for me after stage 2!! 

KC~what are you the most anxious about and perhaps we can help calm your fears?  

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2010

I heard from Katie today and I am to fly in on Thrusday and then back out on Saturday so I assume my surgery is on Friday. I am not sure if it is day surgery or what? Sometimes I feel like Jeanine kind of leaves me in the dark about  what they have planned? Anyone else ever felt this way? I am a little nervous flying back home the day after surgery but I can only trust that they know what they are doing. Has anyone else had a burning around incision. It feels like something is eating at the incision? Anyone else? Maybe I am just overreacting but it hurts like heck. Who else will be down to NOLA at the end of the week? Thanks for listening

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2010

LouAnn, I would say YES, yoga pants and big shirts again. Believe it or not, i think I was more puffy / swollen after 2 than 1. I think it is all the lipo and the fluid they inject or something. i was really really puffed out for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it won't be this way for you. 

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Sallym I am sure you will be fine to travel on Sat. They will be cleaning up the incision so nothing really invasive. Although I am concerned about the pain you are experiencing if you need to stay longer they will keep you there until things have improved. They will look after you.

Nordy don't exercise too early. I started at around 4 weeks out and I am paying the price. My incision area is filling up again and I will most likely need to have it drained by Friday. I am really bummed I was dry as a bone for stage 1 and now I am "JUICY LUCY" for stage 2. How are your nips doing? Mine still have those fine stitches protruding (like yucky man hairs), they just don't want to drop off.

I agree with Bev on the big shirts for stage 2 especially if you are having nips done. They place these Modonna ( torpedo) shields on your breasts to protect the nips and you need large print shirts to hide them. When I went back to work I wore my fitted tops with a long scarf drapped over my neck and down to hide the outline of the shields

Alaina you are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Trishia
    edited April 2010

I joined the Biggest Loser contest on 10/1 and my stage 2 was 9/11.  It was fine for me.  I didn't lift for the first week, but I did all the aerobic activity.  I think you just have to listen to your body.  I had no energy after Stage 1 and my core was really weak.  So I had to do really gentle exercise. 

• kcshreve
    edited April 2010

1 - Was at the Center for markups today, so I took a good look at "the book".  It really needs some help.  It was so preciously put together, but it is well-worn.  The pages themselves are intact, but the sleeves are torn on many of them.  The cover itself has seen better days, but I think it's workable.  But the book needs new sleeves for the still-good personal pages in there.

2. What am I concerned about?  Well, for one thing, lymphedema sucks and effects everything, including any excitement I might have about Stage 2.  I can't have blood pressure or needles in either arm, which means my neck is where the IV will be.  And my right arm, side and breast always hurt, feeling bruised and painful.  LE massage is helping, but since this never goes away, it's always annoying.  I am concerned that with all the extra fluids of lipo, my body may not do so well. Dr S says it will all be fine, but I've heard that a few too many times this year.

3. My "seroma" is probably not a seroma.  It's probably muscle which did not heal well, opened up, expanded, and is now a version of a long hernia.  Lovely. That's what it feels like.  Dr S pushed and prodded, and now I'm extremely sore all over my lower tummy. So that long abdominal incision is going to be re-opened and Dr S will get a good look-see, then he'll sew together the muscles.  Bummer.  That means more pain than I'd planned on.  And more recovery time than I've allowed myself. 

Because of these things, I'm just not excited.  It feels like I got beat up again, like with my cancer dx.  I'm sure I'll do ok in the end, of course.  It's all about adjusting. So I'm trying to adjust.

I'll be in surgery Wed morning from 7-12, more or less. I'll spend the night there for at least one night.  We'll see about a second night based on pain and mobility levels.  We fly back to Dallas on Sat.

Hey, for those of you coming this way, the Jazz Festival is a big huge deal.  Everyone tells me that those who perform there will often spontaneously show up in the French Quarter, so it's a good place to be.  Jazz Fest is both this weekend and next, Th-Sun.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Hey, you guys who are/will be in NOLA - be sure to have them put your screen name up on your door so everyone can connect at the hospital!

kc - I'm so sorry you've been thru so much. Maybe you'll come out better, on the other side of all this. Be sure to be on the look-out for Sallym, as she will be arriving on Thursday and home on Saturday, too.

• Trishia
    edited April 2010

(((KC)))  you are going to fine.  Yes, it is more surgery and more recovery than anticiapted.  Yes BC sucks. But you are going to get through this.  I'm so sorry that it hasn't been a smooth road.  Just know that you will make it through the other side.  You aren't even 6 months out from dx yet, so everything has happened so quickly. 

I had 5 surgeries, a baby, and 6 weeks of radiation my first 14 months after dx.  It is all SO overwhelming.  So vent and let out all your fears and anger and anxieties here.  That's what we are here for.  You don't have to be strong for us or put on a happy face.  We know.  We understand.

Big hugs for you. 

• kcshreve
    edited April 2010

Since I'm venting here, another bummer is that in all of this, my oldest daughter is getting married June 5.  I've put off so many parts of her wedding stuff, due to the BC dx at Christmas, surgery, lymphedema complications, swelling, etc, thinking I'll have more time and energy in May.  And I might.  I'll have to. I need to shop for a mother-of-the-bride dress, which I've put off since I've not really known my sizing.........I need to just give my brain a rest for now and put it off till later. Thanks for letting me whine.  All I can say is that I am deeply thankful that I have Dr S for this one.  I think he's a detail guy and very careful, which is what I'm needing about now.

• Nordy
    edited April 2010

KC - They don't get any better than Dr. S. And I say that in all sincerity. You will do just fine. Drink lots of water, take the arnica, use pillows to elevate your arms, and walk as much as you can. Thoughts and prayers going out to you.

Sally - Thinking of you this week and hoping all goes really really well. 

Stephanie - I decided to put off my women's biking group for one more week. And then I will start back slowly. I have been staying in compression (spanx now - I gave up the dominatrix as soon as it was allowed, it was down past my knees and killed my hips!) despite the fact that technically I no longer need it... I just have some hypersensitivity along the scar lines on my buttocks, so compression makes everything feel better... And I think somewhere inside I am worried about becoming juicy again, so I am sure the compression helps with that!

I can't remember who said it, but someone said something sweet about my updated photos... Thank you. :)

• Trishia
    edited April 2010

He is definitely a detail guy. And you will heal up so much quicker from this surgery than the first one, even if you have to have more surgery than anticipated. 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

KC: don't worry about the book there at NOLA already, we are putting together a NEW one, (I've already bought it) and I bought one that the sheets can be added to it without removing the pages from the binder. It will be great, especially if I can get most of you to contribute to itSmile also great for future gals to add to it!

Scrapbook pages:speaking of screen names, try and include your screen name on the page somewhere, along with your surgery dates. I think that will really be helpful to our sisters coming along later.

Thanks to those of you who have contacted me!!!!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010

My very last stitch on my nipple finally 'sloughed' off last night. I had a total of 16 small stitches all over my body after stage 2 (March 10) from the lipo, scar revisions, implants, port removal and new nipple.

This is a question for those of you that have had tattooing of the nipple. I will have it done hopefully in 6 more weeks. Did you go to your local PS to have it done or back down to NOLA? I would love to go back to nola, but it is a 12 hr drive and I would have to take off of work and I have missed so much already this year. But, I also want it done right. I am not sure what is the best to do. Thanks!