Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

Our results are BOTH BENIGN!!  YAYAYAYAYAY! 

Mine was an inclusion cysts (never heard of it before) and Mandi's was fibrocystic changes.  She has to have a follow up mammo in 6 months because there was some atypia, but the doc is confident that all will be well.

I am SO SO SO relieved!  

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited April 2010

Great news Trishia!!  Congrats to you and your sister!!

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2010

Great news Trishia!  So relieved for both you and your sister!!!

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010

Trishia- CONGRATS!!! To both you & your sis. I can imagine your relief. WHEW.

Minnesota- LOLOL!! I'm sorry, but that is just funny, and I am laughing with you as I sit here in MY dominatrix. Think of yourself as a pioneer who has now taught us all the importance of not trusting those drawstrings! haha! Probably, no one saw. Thanks for sharing that; it's probably going down as the best story in this entire thread.  :)

I guess peeing in your underwear/pants is a common "oops" while wearing the dom. I did it once already. I've not been wearing underwear over the dom, but instead just a pair of jogging shorts with pantiliners inside. A little over a week ago I sat down to pee and was instantly confused by the sensation: I was peeing, but nothing was falling into the toilet, no sound or anything. I was so drugged that it took me a few seconds (still peeing) to realize that I had NOT pulled down my shorts. LOL. I just laughed and changed into a fresh pair.  

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2010

Minnesota, I'm just sure NO ONE SAW, but I also laughed til I cried reading your story. And I have no idea what the dominatrix outfit even looks like, so I'm trying to imagine that part of it too:)

Trishia, hip hip hooray on your results!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2010

Trishia~  WOOOOOHHOOOO!!!!  Go celebrate this weekend ::)  I am so happy for you and your sis :) 

Peeing in the outfit I think is very common.  I did it on the way home in the airport just as our plane was getting ready to board.  Buy, Buy panties in the trash....there was lots of laughing in my stall once I realized what I had done.....lolll...

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

Minn: laughing in my office so loud I hope they don't catch on I'm not working!!!

Trisha: So glad to hear the wonderful news!!!

BTW: I have posted about 3 other times and they just don't show up...hmmm. Hopefully this one works! I'm still dragging the drain around (left one took it'self out last weekend). This right one is still putting out at least 45 CC /day, sometimes more, and it is the end of week 7 for me.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2010

Eve, you CRACK me up too!

CoolNow lets get this all BEHIND you...BUTT wait theres more...with this beautiful getup come 2-4 hand grenade type accessories to impress your friends and family and to ensure swift passage through TSA screening at your local airport!

Marcia

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

YAY TRishia!!!!

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2010

Ditto the congrats to Trish and her sister!!!

Six weeks out this week--the doc drained 45 ccs off my butt on Monday and I felt good enough to go for a bike ride today!

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2010

I am so happy for you Tishia and for your sister.  I'm going to celebrate with you!!!

Eve, that story just made my day.  Thanks for sharing.

Mileha, hope you are doing ok. 

Good luck to all who are having surgery this week.

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited April 2010

I just found this thread and I really appreciate the information on DIEP and NOLA . I had a BIMX 10/26/09 and decided to do TE's and Implants because I heard DIEP is really painful and I didn't want to deal with that much pain. No one told me how long the TE process was and how painful it was. I also was not aware that when you get implants, you have to be very careful anytime you do dental surgery or get an infection because the bacteria in your body can go to the implants and cause an infection, (even years later). Anyway, I endured the TE's and had my exchange on 03/10/10. My PS double stacked the silicone implants to give me a D cup ( I was DD before BIMX).

I loved my new foobs but unfortunately I developed an infection in the left side and after a week in the hospital getting IV AB I had the left implants removed on 04/01/10. Since the exchange my right side has filled with fluid 3 times and twice has resolved with AB and diuretics. This past week it appeared I was developing an infection in the right scar and so far, it looks like the right side is okay except it is filling with fluid again. This time I have decided to just let my body do what it is going to do, I am not sure if I am rejecting the implants or if there is an infection or ???. Anyway after all of the pain of the TE's and repeated surgeries, I really wish I would have just done the DIEP and gotten all of the pain out of the way at the beginning.

I have a very reactive body and am allergic to many AB's etc. I love the idea that DIEP is using my own tissue. Since I now need to undergo another reconstruction on the left side and I am going to do DIEP. I just need to find a good surgeon. I live in San Diego CA and am considering going to UCLA. I am not sure if I should consider NOLA. Any feedback on DIEP doctors in my area would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, Lynn

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2010

Eve too funny. That is the problem with the sgap procedure. You always feel like your pants are falling down. Don't worry I am sure no one saw anything, they had to be blinded by that bright white beaming from the back of that dominatrix outfit.

Trisha so happy to hear about the B9 results for you and your sister. Go out and celebrate.

Sheridangirl welcome to the board. Sandy and I are both from LA and we had our surgery in NOLA with the best. There are a few gals posting about UCLA so you will have to do your research.

Ok so I had a bit of a set back. I have been feeling great with tons of energy so I have been doing a ton of exercise. Well last night when I got out of the shower my left butt was hurting a bit and looked swollen. I poked at it and heard SLUSH! Where did that come from. Anyways I had to have an US today and they extracted about 90 cc of fluid. Good thing too if I let it go much longer I would have ended up with a J LO butt. I had been down to 15 cc a day when I pulled the drain so I guess it is better to just stick with walks and mild exercise for the first 6 weeks or so.

Everyone have a great weekend and enjoy all of the great spring weather and tie those draw strings tight.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2010

Packing for NOLA, leaving tomorrow morning.  Definite anxiety and feeling pretty grumpy.  My memories of being there for Stage 1 are very good - good care, good results, good recuperation. Mad about cancer, mad about lymphedema, mad about having an abdominal seroma which will probably put me back into the drain routine.  Mad that I have to wear long compression sleeves and summer is heating up.  Just venting. I just want to be done with it all.  I'll probably be fine once I talk to Dr S about what needs to be done.  But for now, grumpy.  I feel sorry for my dh, who has to travel with this crab.

• kcshreve
    edited April 2010

Sheridan - I'm sorry you have gone through so much.  I agree that we are often not presented with the full story with reconstruction.  My doc presented implants as the simpler way to go, but I after having had a DIEP, I totally disagree. This whole process is far more simpler than implants, in my opinion. I hope you find a doctor or a center which matches you and your needs.   

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010

Congratulations Trishia! That is great news for you and your sister! Double celebration time!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2010

Trishia, that is awesome!

Minn - I almost peed my pants reading your story! lol

Kcshreve - I had lymphedema in that breast and side after my rads from my 1st cancer in 2001, I haven't gotten the ok from Dr D to get any massage in that area yet, so not sure on the lymphedema.

And I know there was someone else and something else I wanted to comment on, but chemo brain has taken it right out of my head! <sigh>  too bad I can't lose weight as easy as I lose my train of thought! hehe

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2010

Trisha, YAY!! Thank you God! I have been thinking about you and glad to know before MONDAY!

Minn, I've had my sweat pant ride down me so the crotch was at my knees during a walk, but not as far as you say! LOL!!! You tell the best stories!

Christy, I had rads, but still have the skin. I will have to find out from Doc D if this is an option for me. Do you know if he put the implant under your muscle or between the flap and muscle. The latter would be preferable to me, I do NOT want an implant under my muscle again! My other options are to leave alone and be a bit different on each side, or to reduce the larger side. 

Your new pic is cute Ginnie! :)

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2010

Omigawd, Eve. I laughed til I cried. Considering your sweater was still on the back of the chair, no one probably saw anything when you bent over. You handled it like a champ. I now finally have a reason to be grateful for these thunder thighs. NOTHING gets past them without my knowing about it. ;->  Oh, and add me to the list of dropping drawers, assuming I was commando and remembering I had on undies too late. What a club we belong to.

((((((((Trishia&Sis))))))))sooo glad to hear the all clear. I am hoping Alaina hears great things, too.

(((((Kc))))) whine and vent away. If we cannot do it here, then where? I am just sorry you (or any of us) is going through any of this.

I am almost three weeks out with the drains down to about 40-60cc and creeping slowly downward. Every other or third day I will go the whole day without any pain meds or ibuprofen thinking I am on my way, and end up laying in bed awake in discomfort/pain until I finally get up to take something and wait around for it to finally kick in. There is vast difference between what I can tolerate during the day and what I can sleep with at night at this point. The best news is my morning walks getting longer and longer and my backside getting a little less slushier every day.

Spring, when you get the chance, put me down for Stage 2 July 30, Dr. S Fairway. I will be checking into Hope Lodge Wed. the 28th, pre-op the 29th, surgery the 30th, check out of Fairway the 31st and home on Monday. Dang, 2Tzus, it looks like we will just miss each other! Anyone else looking at that time frame yet?

Welcome, Sheridan. I am so sorry you didn't make it here first. There is just no easy way to make these decisions if we do not find the resources we need.  The good news is that you get a second chance. The HIP procedure I had has been more than bearable and gets easier every day. It will be a cinch once I get these drains out!  

Time for one a shower. I have got it down to 25 minutes now!  

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010

I think docs don't tlel you what to expect with many surgeries, including the sgap.  I think they describe a best case scenario, and we're happy to believe that we'll be that best case. Even with good end results, there are often bumps in the road. I know it has taken me far longer to feel like myself than I expected. I am 3.5 months out, and at about 85% of my normal energy level. Between the visits to get seromas drained and the physical therapy to address my sore left gluteal muscle area, I've had way more medical appointments than I expected. Thank goodness for this thread, which enables women considering these procedures to know the good, the bad and the ugly. My husband reminded me that many of the women getting this surgery are 20+ years younger than me...I didn't enjoy that reminder, since as a boomer, I see myself as 45, not 60.  

BTW - I too have a flap under my arm on one side --it is the side that had the infection with an implant and the infection after the SGAP surgery.

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2010

Packing help~ Ladies, for those of you that have already had stage II - could you let me know what I need to pack?? Shall I go for the yoga pants and big shirts look again? Also, will I have drains again? I will be getting nipples, and minimal lipo and scar revision, so I am not sure what to take to NOLA!! Thanks in advance for your help!!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010

Hello to all! Doing good. I can only take Percocet, but it makes me really tired, so we're trying to find a happy medium. Love the hospital, love the staff, haven't found anyone who isn't extremely helpful and caring.

Ended up with a stacked DIEP/GAP (I think, its' the butt one). My butt is sore and hard to get to not be sore.

I may checkout today or, if not, I'll check out tomorrow. I just need the ole intestines  to start working again. Getting very backed up. :)

Thanks ladies for all your kind words and thoughts.  

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited April 2010

Trishia!!!!! Yippee for the good news!!!!!!!!! Doin' the happy dance!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as forgetting to pull down your panties before you pee - it brings back memories. I have 4 daughters, and EVERY ONE OF THEM, when they were newly toilet-trained, would sometimes run to the bathroom (remember little kids who don't want to stop playing to pee?), hoist up her skirt, and pee through her panties. EVERY ONE.

Leah

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited April 2010

LouAnn~You need to bring oversized shirts, preferably with a print on them.  You will be wearing nipple guards and shirts with prints hide them better.  I brought yoga pants and also flip flops.  I had breast drains only and they came out at my post op.  Drink LOTS and LOTS of water and walk, walk, walk.  Also go get some Arnica and start taking it before your surgery!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2010

So today marks the last day of my girdle/dominatrix outfit/binder whatever. Thank the freaking Lord because I am so uncomfortable!!! However, I still have about 2 inches on the tummy that is open, have been sending pics and all that but really the only thing to do is to betadine it and watch it. I have generic spanx onhand and ready to wear. It just feels weird to go from the girdle to nothing...

Has anyone else had incisions that you were waiting to close? My breast ones are healing nicely except for about a 1 inch gap on one of them. The tummy is what im most concerned about. I feel like getting out and doing stuff but am uber paranoid at pulling it even more open.

I'm getting less paranoid about the girls though! I'm half sleeping on my side and tummy now, but with about 20 pillows under and around me just in case!

Mileha- SO glad you're doing good! My intestines were definitely one of the worst things about the surgery, i took daaaays to go. I took colace and senekot and all kinds of stuff. Good luck on that! Oh- did you end up keeping the on-Q balls? Now we just have to decide on when to go back for our stage 2!!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2010

Melinda,

I had incisions that were slow to heal,

I started eating loads more protein, and taking a multi vitamin, super B-complex, C and Biotin. When you look at them (incisions)  it

seems to go soooo sloooowww, but all of a sudden it will be closed. Making sure you are hydrated and rested as it is as important as walking daily..

Hope to hear that you are lovin' your Spanx!

Marcia

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2010

Alaina and I talked today, and she needs our prayers now more than ever.  Cry

Sandy

• kcshreve
    edited April 2010

In New Orleans, great weather, less crabby, but still kinda grumpy.  Spent the day walking around the French Quarter, having Jambalaya for dinner.  We are staying out near St Charles and tried to catch a streetcar back to the Garden District from Canal Street. After waiting for one for awhile, we decided to walk it, hoping/waiting for one to arrive at some point.  Nada.  We walked the entire way back.  Good thing I was wanting exercise! 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited April 2010
    Spring...I am not sure if it is under the muscle or not. Since I didn't have a follow-up appt with him, I didn't have the chance to ask.
  • Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010

Hi guys!

Sandy - you have a new name - but you'll always be Nip Girl to us! I'm so sorry to hear about Alaina - so, so sorry. She's such a sweet, kind woman. God I hate this f----in' breast cancer!!!!!!!!

kcschreve - wow! u're there! Yes, the street cars are not always the most reliable....especially at certain times. we have had the same thing happen - "Let's start to walk, we'll just keep an eye out for the street car." And then it never comes. We have to learn to just bite the bullet and hail a cab, sometimes - to heck with the cost - we need to reserve our energy! This scanario almost did me in right before we were to meet Dejaboo. I thought I'd be too miserable to make it to dinner, but luckily was able to lie down and recover and let the vampire blood kick in again. Good luck this week, and FourBoyMom and LouAnn!

I'm so happy everyone got good laughs from my pants-on-the-ground experience! I decided, after reading Trishia's reaction, especially when I knew she was worrying so much about her and her sister's biopsy results, that it was worth my embarassment to get her mind off of it, if only for a few minutes! And then when everyone had such a good laugh, it made it even more worth it! I have to admit that even I was laughing after I went back and read it! Man, oh, man, what an adventure we're all embarked upon!!!

Yesterday my breast drain lost suction. We tried to find where there could be a leak and determined that the problem was inside the breast. So my husband talked to Dr. Trahan and he said to just pull it. I was already pretty close to 20 cc and figured it would be out by tomorrow anyway. So my husband ended up just doing it, since it was Saturday. he did a really good job - I didn't even feel it. So then I examined the drain, because I don't get how it works. The part that goes inside the breast is firmer - you probably notice this when you strip the drains - that it's firmer up by the breast. So up there, it is divided into 4 little chambers inside - I don't know if this is to make sure it doesn't collapse inside the breast or if it drains better with four little openings in there vs. just one bigger one. One thing I totally don't get, tho, is how those bigger pieces of "protein", as Dr. D calls them, ever get down those little holes!!!! A mystery!

I have still been so tired and uncomfortable, and the tylenol does little or nothing for me. One codeine  always makes me feel so much better and lifts my moods and gives me energy and takes care of all the pain and aches in my back. I only have 1 or 2 a day. I wonder if I can get a refill?

Oh, one more question I have - and I am really pushing this out of my mind even more than the pants-on-the-ground thing - I know you guys talked about this before - about the scan results. Did your local doctors have u come in for an appt to discuss the scans even if nothing was wrong? My doc wants me to come in...