Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

sally, i think the tight rings are normal - at least my normal. I think I'm about 7 weeks out and I can't get my rings off. I didn't even put them back on for a long time - then I could, but now I couldn't. My whole body seems kinda puffy still.

jaimie, so glad your hairy nipples are doing better!

sandy, if you say dr. d is the best, you might lure Nordy back here! I think she senses when someone says that. Oh, and of course Trishia, too!

tammy, your post made me start to tear up. geez, i'm so dang emotional these days! NOLA in the morning - sounds so good! good luck you lovely lady who does NOT look like a coke can! (OMG what a jerk!) you carry our love with you in your scrapbook - for the docs and staff and all the good parts of this experience, including all of us ladies here - and for the support we provide each other on our continuing sagas...

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

Sally.... my Stage 2 was Friday... I'm at the Homewood Suites right now... sore and bloated... my face and eyes are swelled up... so I'm not very attractive.... I'm hoping to go out today but it's so hot... I can't see walking or riding the streetcar... maybe a cab....

I had no Q-ball this time that I know of... when I woke up I didn't have one... so... I don't know why some people get one and others don't....

It's hard to tell the changes from lipo because everything is so swollen and bruised but I'm thinking it's going to be good.... eventually....

I have a post op tomorrow at 9... and my flight is at 3ish.... TrainerTam... I guess I won't cross paths with you.... hope all goes well!!!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010
    2t - don't be nervous... my face and eyes are puffy... not hideous.. it's from all the IV fluids they gave me I think with the surgery.... and maybe too many Icees!! I don't know....lol  I feel physically able to walk around... just sore and not interested in battling the heat..... for me this is way easier than Stage 1... less anxious... less freaked out by drains, etc.  YES, sore... especially when you try to get up and down out of bed or a chair.. but once you're up.. it's ok.....
  • sandy2009
    sandy2009 Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010

Holtbolt - good to hear all is well, I had a Q-ball because I had my fascia tightened (plication), removed on the post op appt.

Sandy2009

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2010

Spring, I have a surgery date, can you add me to the list?  (YIKES)  August 19 remove implants, bilateral DIEP with Dr D. Looks like I will cross paths with sarabhealed and SallyM:)

Has anyone rented an apt/condo instead of a hotel for the surgery?  There are a ton available on VRBO. I am looking into getting something with 2 bedrooms and it looks like this is cheaper (and roomier) than a 2 bdrm at the Homewood.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Hotbutt~ Don't forget sitting on the toilet hurts like HELL but it quickly goes away. 

So my DH got to play doctor last night getting the rest of the stitches out.  My left nipple looks great but poor righty is missing pieces and doesn't look so good.  The bottom was lifting and that is why I realized that I had 4 stitches in the bottom causing it to lift.  So I had to call Dr. T on call this morning and he thinks that as long as all the stitches are out that I should be fine.  I learned that the body absorbs stitches by having and anti-inflamatory response in order for them to get out....and well my body gets a little to excited about it.  I just hope my body fights and crazy cancer cells like it does these stitches.  So right nipple looks bad but it should survive.  I sure hope so because I would hate to have to go back to NOLA for a nipple.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010
    Hey Cindy (HoT-Butt), lol....I land at 2;22 pm, We are literally JUST missing each other!!I'm glad you posted as to how hot and humidit is, I'm re thinking my wardrobe due to that. Hope your swelling goes down soon, I'm thinking i swell up easily too, yikes! Perhaps we will have to go to Mardi Gras world on tuesday before my pre -op. Otherwise, they might mistake me for a float!!!Surprised
  • swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Jamie - I was at 4 weeks on Friday - stopped wearing the nipple guards~Saturday morning I woke up and it looked like my right nipple had a flat! All of the 'hairy stitches' had come off the right side, but not the left......so, we are twins! It will be interesting to see if the left nip shrinks as much as the right one did once all the stitches are off of it! I am thrilled with the stage 2 results though!!

Swelling - for those of you having issues. I found that I was also swollen after stage 2 - so much so that my uniform pants would not fit (I was hopping it was going to be the shirts that were too small) - anyway, I began taking my Arnica tablets, along with Bromelain tablets, and I can now get back into my pants - you may want to give it a try!

Tammy - safe travels - and thank you again for presenting the book for us!!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

What exactly are Arnica tablets? I am going to send Jeanine an email tommorrow because my incision still is not closed completely and it is oozing and yellow. I am 4 and a half weeks out from second surgery . I call it Stage 1 and 1/2. We were thinking I could go back to work on June 1st, but I still walk hunched and I feel like everything is jiggling inside. I guess I keep thinking I should feel better than I do?

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Oh LouAnn glad to hear that your stitches are leaving :)  Mine are trying to decapitate my nipple before they leave...so a fishing my DH got to go.  NASTY, NASTY stuff.  BTW, my swelling is finally starting to go down  my butt looks almost normal finally.  I was upset on week 1 &2 because my butt looked like a fatt man with a beer bellies butt.  It was almost like my lower back was bigger than my butt. 

So is it bad that I am scared to look at my nipple tonight ?? 

• swastew
    edited May 2010

Sally - Arnica is a supplement you can take, you get it at the health food store or vitamin shop. Little tablets that you put under your tongue 4 times per day.

Jamie - the 'clump' of black stitches came off all in one swoop the other day, but my left ones are holding on for dear life! They remind me of a chia pet, as I swear they have multipled and gotten thicker since my surgery!! Regarding my swelling - I think the cultprit was Hot yoga - 90 min. of yoga in a room that is heated to 105 and very humid - a great workout, but I think the heat was a little much so soon after surgery - plus I did the class 4 times one week. One of these days I will learn.......

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Good for you LA doing the exercise.  I will be starting to run again starting next week.  It's not going to be pretty but I gotta get moving.  I will also be starting the light weights to get my arms back in shape.  I have been working a pretty good amount lately and all I do is come home moaning about my arms and back hurting.  So I either need to build them up OR find someone to massage my back everyday (which isn't going to happen with my DH).  So back to plan one. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

I just have to chime in here too... My right nipple is also much flatter than the left! In fact it is probably half the size! Maybe the difference in which hand is Dr. S's dominant hand and the way it is stitched up???

Tam - have a great flight into NOLA! AND HOT BUTT (teehee) have a great flight home! 

Sally - I swear by the Arnica tablets! You can get them at Whole Foods, Fred Meyer (in the natural section) and I am certain other nutrition/vitamin stores must carry them too. I really do swear that that is the only reason my drains were out as quickly as they were after stage 2... since I kept them foreverrrrr and a day (plus multiple aspirations and new drains placed by my local PS) after stage 1. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Eve, I sensed that you needed support and logged in, so I am here to say that Dr. D is the best!!!    I'm gonna be ready to leg wrestle when we meet up in October, so Nordy and Trishia, bring it on!  In order to take advantage of an extra workout each week with my trainer, I'm now sharing Monday and Thursday morning workouts with another gal who has been working with her for two years and is quite strong---she runs circles around me on some stuff. Cari has been really working us hard   I did boot camp in the park this morning and have a workout at the studio in the morning---I'll bet tomorrow is another leg day. As I fight to finish those last reps, I'll be thinking about Nordy and Trishia--that will surely help me through the pain!!

I had the privilege of meeting Tammy today (and her family), and she is one of those people whom you wish lived next door.  It was so enjoyable chatting with her.  She made a (light) key lime pie, and I just had to try it since I've never made one myself.   It was awesome---thanks Tammy!!!  I came home and had sauteed onions and asparagus for dinner, and refuse to feel guilty for indulging in a piece of home made pie!  The scrapbook is wonderful---everyone did such a great job and all of the pages are so unique and painstakingly done.  The docs are going to love it! 

• Nordy
    edited May 2010
    Bring it on Sandy... LOL (Wink)  Are we wrestling before or after the run??? Smile  Is this what we are doing as fundraising? LMAO 
  • Nordy
    edited May 2010

PS - I think you better get your toes in shape, as I do believe Laughlines said she would toe wrestle!

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2010

Greetings

Just checking in. I am training for the Susan G Komen 3 day 60 mile walk in Phila in October and did 8 miles last Saturday. I remember this time last year I had had one implant removed and was wearing a prosthesis when I trained, or none at all, and thought about what it would feel like to have real breasts..but couldn't really imgine it.

Well, now I can. :)

I have a question for the ladies whohad 3D nipple tats. What made you decide to do this, and are you happy with the result? Did you get the tats done in NOLA or locally, and if locally, by the doctor's ffice or a regular tattoo artist who speciliazes in it? You can answer by PM.

Thanks.

Margit

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

On the nipple note...my left one almost didn't make it.  And it blistered and had the gross black scab all over it too.  So my left one is flatter than my right one (there goes your theory Nordy!).  That being said, you can still see them (lightly) through a negligee or a thin T-shirt, but not through a cami with a bra built in.  They are perfect for me.  And everyone who I have showed them to is just blown away by them.  So have faith girls!!!

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Thanks Trishia :)  My left one is just fantastic and righty is looking better I just hope she continues to look better.  I have faith Dr. T said it wouldn't fall off...you can imagine before I talked to him all I could imagine was the nipple just falling off and being inside my bra.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Nordy, thanks for the tip about the toe wrestling!  Today ended up being arm today which is good because I got a very good leg workout yesterday at the park.  

Tammy will be in NOLA in a couple of hours.  She said she will take photos of Dr. D receiving the scrapbook tomorrow and share them with us.  Can't wait to see and hear all about it!  After hearing more of the details of her experience at Ochsner Baptist, I feel very fortunate that I was there three times without incident.  Well, gotta get to work because Mondays are crazy!!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

I cannot imagine myself having the strength to leg wrestle or even toe wrestle! All you gals are in such great shape - running, working out - I'm still getting exhausted easily and couldn't even begin to think about running. And by October, I'll have had even another surgery - and I don't think it'll be a small one.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2010

Checking in here.

Tammy Good Luck this week!  Looking forward to the Pictures of Drs & the book Presentation.

Hello & Hotbutt I hope you are both doing good.. Heading home today & tomorrow?

holtbolt I didn't get an OnQ with my stage 2 either.   I could use one still : (  

I am 6.5 weeks out from stage 2 & I still have a lot of pain on my backside-my right.  It could be I have a Seroma there again...Although my left side hurts too- Just not as bad.   After stage 1 my Pain never went away- Even at 5 months out when I had my Stage 2.  I have 5" below & 5"  above the incision that pulls with pain.  It hurts to sit,  Cross my leg, Stand Bend or walk. I am beginning to think I will never be pain free...I have had daily pain from various surgeries for over 2 years.  I was pretty down about it this weekend.   Did anyone have pain this long after surgery...Not mild pain.  Something that takes your breath away & keeps you thinking about it.

I have 2 Big scabs left - 1 on each breast.  One is looking good- though it is so thick I think it will be here for at least 2-4 more weeks.  The other is still oozing each day- though not as much as it had been.  But the scab doesn't look as good & in the last 2 days the wound is a little bigger then the scab- meaning I have open areas that are unhealed.  

With all the problems I had with the nip gaurds & the Scabs & oozing.  My nips are pretty much the same size. 

I have a yeast infection & a thrush infection.  I took the fluconazole 150 mg on Wed.  My symptoms got worse the next few days...now are back to about where they were when I took the 1st pill. I have another pill....Do I take that at one week?   it really does not say anything in the instructions.  Just that my symptoms should be better in 3-5 days or call your Dr.

Does anyone know?  

Spring I am scheduled for 2B on Nov 1st

• Dejaboo
    edited May 2010

I have another question.

I dont know alot about veins...Except that I had very good veins 2 years ago.  I did not do Chemo.  Bu often had my Hemoglobin & a bunch of other stuff (usually they took 4-9 viles)checked over the last 10 years.

Anyway.

My veins are not so good anymore.  During my Stage one my Best hand vein blew.  It has not been seen since : (

My next good vein they used for stage 2.  It has not seemed the same since.  it is always stickign out- even when no other veins are visiable.  And it still hurts to be touchec 6.5 weeks out.

is this normal?

Can I hope that it can still be used?

On a side note.  Nordy I was reading the thread where you posted how to find a PS...And you gave the breast reconstruction website.

I see alot more PS listed with Simultanious Flaps listed...Compared to a year ago.

I also see my Jerk PS who Gave me Symmastia with my Implants is now listed as doing a DIEP, SGAP & Tug!  (he did DIEP before)  That scares me.  He does not have the Skill or Compassion to do that kind of Surgery.  So just because they are listed there...Does not mean they are Skilled!  Symmastia doesnt just happen- it is caused by a PS.

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Hey Pam - I am sorry to hear your previous PS is on there. You are right, it is not a list saying how good of a doc these people are, but it IS a jumping off point if you don't even know where to begin. Maybe I should go back and make that clear on that thread.

• swastew
    edited May 2010

Dejaboo - funny you should mention the veins. I have also always had really good veins - a prominent vein on my right hand was used during stage 2, and has remained sore. A few days ago, I noticed it was also much harder than the other veins, and there is a little 'ball' type hard thing on part of it. Today I was at my oncologist for my 3 month check, and asked the phlebotomist about it - she pretty much said 'somehow the vein was damaged during your last surgery'....and it is no longer usable to draw blood.  :(   She also said when she pats my veins before she draws blood, it is to feel for softness - good veins are soft- thus usable, hard veins are not good-therefore unusable. Bummer!!

• Dejaboo
    edited May 2010

I didnt mean to imply that its not a good link Nordy.  it is a great link & a great startign point!

Just freaked me out when I saw him listed.  He has probaby done one SGAP & one TUG.

• Dejaboo
    edited May 2010

Thanks LouAnn,

Mine is harder too!  ( I thought I was imagining that- so did say LOL)  Grr if it is not good anymore.  I am running out...As I am sure you all get.

Im glad you asked.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

I made it to NOLa, (no thanks to Continental airlines!) Long story short, the gate agent shut the door on us as we ran up ; even though we checked in 1.5 hours ahead of time, security check point wouldn't let us through, so we got to the gate 15 minutes before take off). Anyway, we are BEGGING, my husband is explaining I have a cancer surgery scheduled..I'm getting upset, and she has the nerve to say to us "Hey, I'm just doing my job, I've got a mortgage to pay!" Can you believe that? And it's not like we were really late, it  just didn't seem right that  I should scream at her or run to  her to get to the door at the same time. 

So, as I was sitting there waiting for the next flight (which we were on STAND by and the flight was full) I got madder as I thought about her rude comment. So, I walked back over to her gate (where she was now alone) and she looked up and said "I told you, gate 9 !" I said in a very calm voice, " I know, I just wanted to let you know I don't need to hear about your mortgage when I have my own Cancer issues to deal with". She began to say something and I just walked away.

Am I bad?????Frown

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Bring on the Leg Wrassslin!! Wooo!!

AnyM, I aded your stage 1 on Aug 19th. Get a room with A/C is all I can say!! :)

Pam, Added your 2B for Nov 1st. NOVEMBER!!! wow.

Tammy, too bad you could not have also boxed her ears!!!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Tammy,

I cannot believe they treated you that way! I'm so glad you let that gal have it! I feel like you stood up for all of us! Bravo to you! You are good!!!!!!