Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sandy2009
    sandy2009 Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010

Holtbolt ~ Don't worry, I got on the scale too a couple days after Stage 2 and I gained, but within the week I dropped 7-8 lbs. and this week the same (I've had lipo in the ab & upper back leg). Heal and relax.  I love seeing the pounds have dropped.

Trainer ~ I look forward to adding a page in the fall (12 x 12 size?), love the cookies, you're so creative!

SandyInParadise ~ LOVE those sandals, beautiful!

Sandy2009

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

That Little Sneak - Maybe a couple of those pounds are icees?!

Dejaboo - But maybe the tightness causes the splitting-apart feeling. And nerve regeneration accounts for part of the pain. And pressure from the fluid adds to the numbness and pain and could be pressing on nerves? I'm trying to make the case that it's temporary. I certainly hope so! How ridiculous that you should be told you need your mammo! 

Tammy - I hope all is well. Don't know when you finally got into surgery, following the gal who felt you up. If you wake up in the middle of the night and are wide awake and get lonely, let us know how you're doing! Or if Nicole is working, call her. She's great! And ask for an icee! Must feel great on the throat!

Spring - I refuse to feel guilty over an occasional icee. I will gladly eat one so that you can vicariously enjoy!

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited May 2010

Spring - finally got confirmation of my stage 2, please put me down.

Cat1 - Stage 2 & Hysterectomy, Dr. D @ SCSH

Thanks

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010
    Cat, what date?
  • Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited May 2010

Well darn!  July 28th - sorry about that.  I was trying to hard to make certain I included everything. 

Thanks

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Okay - where is Tammy?

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

I am finally able to go back to work on Tuesday. I am doing only 4 hours a day for 2 weeks. As long  as Met Life approves it my work has a program where you work 4 hours a day but get paid for 8. I was a little worried because I just dont feel myself yet but I can handle 4 hours.

Cat I wish you were going to be there with me in August. Best of Luck I was just watching the news and they were discussing Hurricane Season and it is suppose to be a doozy. They said it would be great for the oil spill thou it would disperse it. Well we have no control over the weather so no sense worring about it.

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2010

Cat,

I am looking to do a hyterectomy at stage 2 as well. WAs it fairly easy to arrange?

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

We just got into the Clarion...as you can see by my profile picture I got my tattoos today. Yes, they are sea shells! Dr. D came in to see them when Donn was done. He said they turned out better than he thought they would! I'm still trying figure out how to get the scrapbook pages posted. This morning  I was really tired and then off to get tattoos, so tonight I'll work on it.

I've joined the "puffy" club, and have a LONG dominatrix on (he did my knees) and it's 85% humidity out there!Oh, and I have a BINDER on too, ugh! but, I a, happy to be finished with the surgery, and I love my new nip-shells!

BTW: they are STILL talking about the scrapbook!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Tammy - so glad you got to take the scrapbook!  Glad you are doing well, even with the swelling.

Pam - I know, don't you wish these people would read a little about us before they call with stupid things?  Hang in there sweetie.  It will get better!  Did you ask anyone at the center about your pain issues?  Even if it is not the norm, they may know someone else who has gone thru what you are, and have some suggestions.

Well, no chemo today.  White counts are too low and they said my fever was slightly up, but I think that was stretching it.  They gave me an antibiotic if I needed to get it filled over the weekend, just in case.  I do have an appt with my primary care dr office tomorrow just to be sure the concussion is ok (knot not going down) and to look at my back - dark bruise around tailbone area, and sore spot in back that "might" be from last surgery....is in that area, but first time I have had pain there.  Gonna work half a day, then go to dr.  Don't want any issues over the holiday weekend. 

Which, by the way, I hope everyone has a safe and happy one!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Tammy, it's great to hear from you and the shell tattoo is beautiful! 

I'm with Spring on the icees---that's something I have no desire for.  I am really limiting sugar, especially fructose, which is in just about every processed food.  When I eat fruit, I slow down the sugars with a bit of cheese.  I am so thankful that my onc's nurse recommended the nutritionist, who led me to my trainer as well.  I have learned so much about the foods we eat from listening to these two ladies---they are both so encouraging to me, great support.  I went to the store with my sister and her little girls the other night, and watched the foods she was selecting for them.  I need to have a long talk with her about what she thinks is "healthy", like  whole wheat Pop Tarts, Goldfish, Special K cereal...I walked around a store the other night looking for a snack, but gave up after three aisles of stuff loaded with chemicals and sugar and headed for the produce dept.

If any of you ladies are intersted in buying the pink ribbon sandals, I will do a big discount for you and post a coupon code here.  Let me know! 

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Tammy - those shells of yours are amazing! I like your style!

Sandy - but mental health is also important. I think that, especially under the circumstances of having just come thru surgery and waking up with a sore throat, an icee might be just what the doctor orders... comfort food.

Gin - and you better watch it this weekend, too! Hope your head gets the all clear from your doc! 

Sally - After all we've been thru, the possibility of a little ole hurricane should not scare any of us!

Laughlines - Whenever I see your profile pic, I smile! You're comin' up, girl!

That Little Sneak (a.k.a. Hotbutt)  - I don't have anything to say, just like calling you those names!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

lol Minnesota.... I HOPE I have a "hotbutt" under this damn girdle.. who knows... everything is so swollen.. I have no idea what I have!

Speaking of swelling... .HELP!!  One week post op today and I feel like Violet in the Willy Wonka movie.... what should I be doing or not doing to get rid of this fluid??  And.... I am short waisted so I cannot even begin to hook the top hooks of this girdle.. which means I have the top of my waist under my breasts uncompressed.... is that a problem?  Boy, this is uncomfortable.. not to whine but I hate it!  Good news is... the drains are lightening up... but the swelling is so "in my face" that I don't even mind the drains... go figure... 

Ok, enough about me... I hope all of you have a great Memorial Day Weekend!  It's Indy 500 weekend here so it's a good time to not go anywhere.... so I will sit in my A/C and watch tv...

Tammy, congrats on getting through Stage 2... safe travels home!!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2010

hey Guys,just got a notice  from Travelocity...hotels in NOLA as low as $72.00... thought since y'all are booking for the gathering in October it might be handy...

Happy Memorial Day weekend ,

Marcia

PS  Must be something in the air..I got my mammo reminder from the provider that paid for my reconstruction!!!! Doesnt inspire much faith in them when they cant be bothered to take my name off the Mammo reminder list (breastless (originals :)since 2005,Jan.) I get quite upset sometimes at their lack of tact.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Minn, just have a piece of lean meat or other protein with your icee!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Sandy, I had not heard about cheese with fruit, So the fat slows down the sugar? What's the deal there? This is a new one on me.

Minn, I think you are exempt from all this sugar stuff. you are to be released from your oncologist!!! I think you are out of the woods. Icee away.

Cat1 - I added your line for July 28!

Ginnie, well, no chemo means more of your hair grows back, right?

Tammy, SHELLS!!! You are the most INTERESTING PERSON!! Shells!!! Amazing!!! I bet that was fun for Donn to do. It looks very pretty! 

Marcia, why are you in NOLA again? Can you make a HUGE FUSS about the oil in the gulf while there? It is making me SICK!! Those red ribbons in the water look Biblical, like Revelations or sonething!

HotButt - (LOL) - Sandy and Trisha say, WALK WALK WALK and DRINK TONS OF WATER to get rid of the fluid and swelling. Don't eat salt! You can also ask for a dieuretic - some women find those helpful... My swelling went away slowly over time after phase 2. It was quicker after phase 1!!! Something about lipo I think...

Sally, glad you got reduced hours. I took the time I needed after both surgeries, and I was glad I did.  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Hot Butt - I am still swearing by the Arnica... And walk, walk, walk, and drink, drink, drink... and Arnica!

Marcia - I am going to do that thing for you (that we talked about over a week ago - Embarassed Sorry!) - I will start it right NOW... okay, as soon as I finish this post.

Not really an Icee fan here either... I don't know why, but never have been! Something about running out of the sweet stuff and being left with "dry" ice... ! But I do like Snocones - so go figure! 

Okay, so I know there has been a discussion about pants/jeans on here recently - has anyone ever shopped at the Buckle? We went there today (I usually don't shop there because I am too cheap LOL), BUT they have like 14 different "fits" of jeans AND the people there will just keep bringing them to you to try on. Between my hubby and I we had a pile of about 20 pairs of jeans in the dressing room. I ended up with one pair that I just love (waiting to drop that last 10 pounds before I buy more at $80 a pop) and my hubby got 2 pairs that look fabulous on him. My sister in law loves their jeans and said the last pair she had she actually "wore out"! 

I had my quarterly oncology appt. on Wed. to follow up on the liver hemangioma that was seen on my CTA in NOLA - this was my second follow up test and so far everything looks GREAT and it still looks like a hemangioma! Hurray! That was the good news... the not so good news is they also did a baseline bone density scan and I am already (my hyst/ooph was just in Dec) osteopenic! Well, hell... Most of the risk factors that I have for it I can't change: fair, blue eyes, white, thin (I guess I could change that, but don't particularly want to!)... So, now I am really upping the calcium and Vit D as well as adding in more low back and hip exercises. I don't like taking meds, so am trying to stay away from the bisphosphinates for now.. arrrrrrrrrr

And, last but not least... and this is just my minute to boohoo... I kind of wish I had gone with the full tummy tuck... I hate having lymphedema. It was my deciding factor, but the rest of me looks pretty good... and then I have this loose skin hanging there... But every single lymphedema therapist I spoke with (and one of them has 20 years of experience in the field) stressed the importance of avoiding that circumferential scar if I could... I am bummed because Dr. S was willing and I would have been able to bounce a quarter off my belly by now... well, maybe not if my trunk decided to fill up with fluid... Okay, someone tell me I made a good choice... or tell me I was stupid and crazy not to do it. I just hate this lymphedema SO much... Maybe I should stop boohooing and just be happy I got to have breasts! Okay, now tell me to stop whining... But is there anything wrong with wanting it ALL???? (Boobs, flat tummy, cancer free, no lymphedema... 2 out of 4 isn't bad, right?) 

• Gin52
    edited May 2010
    Nordy, honey....don't think anyone could argue with you as well as you argue with yourself! lol   Yes, lymphedema does suck!  I don't have it in my arm, but have had it in my side and right breast since my 1st cancer and lumpectomy in 2001.  I personally think that anyone that goes thru the "C" and THEN has to put up with that for the rest of their life does deserve to whine a little...  so go ahead, and I will join you and get us some cheese to go with our whine!  Wink
  • sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

Nordy, I had to go back and look at your pics. You are amazing already and it is so important to go with your gut (no pun intended) when doing what is best for your health. Yes, you deserve it all and it sure looks like you have it all...a wonderful family and a warm, caring, sharing heart. Not to mention beautiful new girls and a backside anyone would kill for! Laughing

• sallym
    edited May 2010

I am returning to work on Tuesday but I still have an opening at my incision. I showed my sister who is a nurse today and she said " that just doesn't look right , Now I have sent pictures several times to Jeanine and no response, Stacy has written and talked to me about pain issues and return to work but nobody has addressed the pictures so I just assumed that it was normal. Now I am worried because even my mom said it looked worse today. What do I do?  I do want to return to work but am worried with the FMLA if I need to go back out I will not meet eligiblity requirements. Any suggestions on what to do before Tuesday? Thanks

• Gin52
    edited May 2010

sallym, I would try to email Jeanine again and put in subject line, "important, need response before tuesday"  she may get it on her phone and  can email you back from there.  I think they have been extremely busy this time of year.  Also, I have learned if you don't put your question in the very first sentence, they may miss it.  I understand about the fMla issues.  I had my surgery in sept 09, stayed off till nov, and was back off in Jan 10 and it was still covered under both my short term and fMla.  Short term might vary, but I think that fmla is fed and is a total of 12 weeks in a year.  Gentle hugs coming your way......

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

Sally, call the doc on call and get his email and email the pics to him.  Don't wait until Tuesday!!!  That's what they have oncall docs for.  xoxoxo

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2010

Sally- I hope you can get a hold of someone & get some answers.

I also hope your Incision does not get worse.

Nordy- I kind of wish I had gone for a MTT.  But it wasnt offered & I didnt ask.  I hard just a bit of Lipo.  I could use alot more.  I do hate the saggy skin.  I didnt realize how bad it was until I went without spanx the other day for a few hours.

I was & am still worried if I had a MTT that I would get alot of Numbness above & below the incision...Since I do have that everywhere else.   That is why I didnt push the idea.

So I can certainly understand your worry about lyphedema getting worse.  I was worried about something much less.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Nordy, regarding osteoporosis - have you been over to the Vit D line?  There has been some discussion of Vit K as well as magnesium helping with that, too.

Dealing with the chronicity of lymphedema is extremely challenging, and for me, often takes the joy out of having nice breasts.  I do have fluid collection above my belly scar, but I work to redirect it and it's ok, but it's work - - possible since I do have only a tummy scar.  I can't imagine how that would go with a complete circumferential scar.  Knowing the little I do know, I can absolutely see where you were being wise, very wise. 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2010

Anyone know anythign about scabs.

Kind of a stupid question...

But how do thick, thick scabs heal?

Do they just get smaller around? & eventually fall off?

Both of my scabs are very thick.  I think 2 & 3 mm  The smaller one is doing good- less them 5mm long.  But the big one is still  1.5 x 1 cm & so thick it feels like a rock. And very red around it- as it has been all along- I dont think it is infected...Just irritaded skin.   I worry the scab will come off way before it is ready & then I will have to start over.  it has already been 7 weeks.

I can imagine what the scars will look when its finally healed : (

Still trying to get rid of the thrush & yeast infection- That may be on its way out.  but not the thrush : (

Im still scared to wear a bra.  I finally found a couple bras that work with my remaining Symmastia.

But worry I will flatten whats left of my nips...I am 7.5 weeks...Can I wear a bra?

Hope everyone has a Nice Holiday weekend.

• sallym
    edited May 2010

Thanks ladies for the advise. I called the hospital and talked with Dr Sullivan and sent pictures, He is going to call me back as he was making rounds. I explained I just would feel more comfortable having a DR look at it before I go back to work. I will up date

• Gin52
    edited May 2010

dejaboo,

I am still dealing with one scab   It was also very thick.  When I had the infection scare, and it was "oozing" from underneath, it seemed to be softer where it was oozing, like maybe the oozing was making it thinner underneath?  Don't know how else to describe it, and sorry for being so graphic with it.  It has very slowly gotten smaller than when it started in Feb.  It covered most of the front of my breast to start with and is down to maybe 1-1/2" by 3-4"  I admit I did "trim" it a little when it started separating at the edges and curling up, but just the edges that were curled.  From what Jeanine told me, it will get smaller on its own, and they have just told me to keep putting the betadine on it to keep it on.  Hang in there girl!

Sally, so glad you got in touch with dr!

• sallym
    edited May 2010

Dr Sullivan called back and said to swab it with betadine several times a day and there looked like there was fluid built up and to send pics again in about a week. Of coarse, when he called me back my nephew answered the phone and I am trying to talk to Dr S and my nephew had not hung up that extension completely so he is hearing my 4 nephews and my son arguing. I could not figure out why I was hearing them and trying to talk over them to Dr S. It was an honest mistake but how embarrassing. I have to tell Dr S to hold on while I scream into the other room. It is kind of funny now but it was not at the time. I do feel better now since a dr looked at the pic. As long as it does not get worse I will be fine. I hope all are having a fun Holiday Weekend. God Bless all of the people in the service who have fought for our freedom

If you can't stand behind our soldiers and show them the support they deserve, please feel free to stand in front of them!! I love that one

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

Finally home after an entire day of travel. We had to sit on the tarmac for 2 hours while a storm pssed and that put us out of new orleans late, thus missing the connection in Houston. We finally made it home by 7:30 pm Californnia time, i was exhausted!

Dr. D did a ton of lipo (bless his heart) and spent time on these "barnicals" I have had since Chemo....they aren't moles and they aren't skin tags, but they are rough, black and ugly! so, I was out for 6 hours! And boy did i feel it yesterday while traveleing home. I had slept most of the day before and I am still very puffy, and sore all over!

I have 2 drains (one on each hip) both are putting out at 5 cc. How long did you stage 2 gals have the drains in for? Remember I had the first set in for 9 weeks!!! I am supposed to got to work on Thursday, would like to go with NO drains if possible!

Hopefully today i can figure out a way to show you the scrapbook pages. Sandy, how did you show the flip-flop picture here?

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

Congrats on making it home, Tammy. I love the tat! I was considering daisies myself, but will probably go with new nips.

As far as scabs, I kept swabbing everything with betadine at every chance and kept gauze on them. I was lucky to have no problems. Sorry about everyone else's hassles with them.

I just received the best present yet. I was able to do laps in the pool again, even the crawl. It feels so fantastic to have that freedom. I was told by my local PS it would be forbidden until months after the final exchange if I had gotten implants. I think it is 9 weeks today since my surgery. I didn't realize how ill I felt all the time during and after chemo. I am only now beginning to feel human again and the last tx in Feb. Hang in there, Ginnie.

Happy Memorial Day everyone!