Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2010

Minnesota: I'll have to send a message to Spingtime to add me. Will be intersting to see how Aug fills up and who will be there when I am...

Trainertam: I don't think a thank you is QUITE appropriate for being the "tipping point" but I'm glad there was one! Would not like any last minute changes!

Jinger: How are you feeling these days?

Kcshreve: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am hoping for a quick recovery and doing everything I can now to get physically prepared.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2010

Good Luck to Hello & HotButt this Week!

Hope you can have some fun while there too.

I finished my Antibiotics for all my 'Holes' last night.  I hope it was good enough for them to continue to heal.  The antibiotics really messed me up- I feel totally wasted on them :O

Tammy- I hope you can get some Pictures when You present the book to them!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Ladybug, I added your Aug 3 stage 1, I hope some more listings come in for that time! It will be wonderful if you know another lady or more when down there. Just makes it feel more fun or less lonely or something! 

Pam good to hear from you. Hope everything heals up well now!

Tammy, so cool about your scrapbook! I see Ginnie sent one on the computer... I may be able to manager that! Can you tell me more? I see there is still time....

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Okay how long do we need to where the nipple guards  ??  I know that Sandy wore them forever but I am ready to ditch them and I am not even 3 weeks out yet. 

Do we stop wearing the nipple guards if we still have "hairy" nipples ??

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Jaimie - My understanding is 4 weeks on the nip guards.  :(  I am ready to ditch mine as well - and I still have 'hairy' nipples!

Question for anyone who has had stage 2 - how long does it take the swelling to subside from the abdominal area? I tried on my uniform pants a few nights ago, as I am returning to work soon and the were all to small!! To tight around the waist and butt - I was shocked to say the least, as I have not gained any weight!! After closer inspection of my body it appears I do have quite a bit of swelling....<sigh>. Anyone else?? What's strange is I have a hard time keeping all of my jeans 'up' since I no longer have anything in the 'love handle' area of my body - so the jeans are baggy in the butt and want to slide down......

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2010

I'll be there around that time- my stage 2 is scheduled sometime during the first week of August. I can't think of the exact date right now because I've blocked it out from being upset about their lack of help in scheduling me earlier. I homeschool my kids and desperately needed a July date; I begged for a date in July, but they said they had no available slots...but I know from this thread that there were slots open in July...:sigh:....clearly I'm not as enamored by them as most of you all, but please don't hate me! It's just so frustrating that my entire school year schedule is going to be whacked up now b/c I couldn't get a July surgery date...and July would've been well over 12 weeks past stage 1, so it's not that. The date they gave me is over 4 months out from stage 1, which is way, way longer than the norm for someone who wanted it done ASAP. Anyway...I'll be there the first week of August, I'll get an exact date for you to post, Spring. 
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

LouAnn, while most of the swelling resolves within a couple of months, some can persist for several months, and I still notice that I swell up after eating salty foods.   I hear ya on the way jeans don't fit.  I changed brands and found some that stay up better.

I'm feeling a bit sad that I postponed the surgery I was scheduled to have this Friday, especially since I'm missing out on meeting HelloFromCT and Holtbolt!   However, I am doing the Standard Process diet again for the next 21 days, (started yesterday) so I should get a really great result if Dr. D will do a mini tuck on my tummy in October.   This diet teaches you how you really can live on a plant-based diet and eat nothing but whole foods, which studies are showing can help to ward off recurrences.  No processed food is allowed, and other than two fruit and protein shakes, you eat veggies and veggies and veggies!!   No grains, beans, sugar, or dairy allowed.  I felt really light and energized during the first round and lost 10 pounds in three weeks.  You add foods back into your diet one at a time, and this way you can rule out any food sensitivities.  I seem to have a problem with potatoes, which used to be a favorite of mine but I'm not eating them anymore. 

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend, Tammy!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

Sandy: Give me a call today if you have time,lets pick a time to get togetherLaughing 

If anyone has a scrapbook page that they have created on the computer or you can take a picture of your page and send it to my work Email I have until Friday to print it out. But you have to let me know so that I bring the 12 X 12 paper with me to work. I have a larger color printer there and I'll only be at my office till about noon on Friday. otherwise, you can bring the page with you when you go back to the Center and slide it into the book. My main goal was for the book to look "rich" and not skimpy, I think we have acheived that since it's almost half full.

I'll be making pictures of the pages and attempting to post them on TimTams picture site for you all to see.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

Sandy - we'll miss you too!  Suzanne is in NOLA as we speak (hi Suzanne!) and I am flying there tomorrow! I haven't even packed yet... I so OVERDID the packing last time ... I'm just going to throw in some baggy stuff and go!  Last time I had all these cute outfits I painstakenly put together.. matching jewelry.. nail polish LOL.  I feel stupid now... because I didn't use any of it.  So... I'm going for the no-stress approach this time...

Tammy - wow, sounds like the post office did a number on my package....(that's what she said) ... glad it got there in one piece! 

See you from NOLA!  Hey... anyone know if the streetcars are air conditioned?  lol. Probably not.. right? Wink

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Cammie - none of us would ever hate you! But in their defense, just remember that the gals on this thread aren't the only ones scheduling dates at the Center - also, maybe some of their vacation schedules make for less surgeries in the summer? - just speculating. First time around, I scheduled my stage 2 before I even left New Orleans after stage 1! I guess I was anxious to get it all over with!

• sandy2009
    sandy2009 Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010

Holtbolt ~ I don't think the streetcars are not airconditioned, unfortunately!   Take loose clothes and good luck to you, also TrainerTam.

I just got back home from my Revision 2 surgery.  It was more than I expected - 5 hrs.  I'm healing and doing well.   I had a couple bumps in the road with the last drain (at home), it got clogged up with some sort of white stuff.     My husband (the engineer) took the bulb off and rinsed and squeezed it out.   Don't let anyone do this! This was right before I went to bed, the bulb never held a compression again.  

Jeanine (Dr. D.s nurse) told me to take that drain out (last one and a week early).   Luckily I was hardly draining anymore.    This is an easy way to get an infection, if the tube clogs and isn't draining - call the Center, let them walk you through what to do, it really scared me.

I'm doing well, I need another revision in Fall.    I'm so happy Dr. D. helped me, everything is looking good.  

Sandy2009 (Ohio) 

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2010

Sandy2009 - Congratulations about being home and healing. I'm glad the drain problem came out okay - whew!

HoltBolt! and Suzanne! I am thinking of you now! I hope all goes well.

Phew! - I thought I was so calm about Stage 1 coming up. Then yesterday at a party a friend said, "Well, if I don't see you before you go to New Orleans, good luck!" I said, "Thank you," . . . and burst into tears - argh! I guess I have officially entered my freak-out period. I just jumped onto TimTam's site and revisited all of your photos and am now calm again. Thank you to those of you who have posted there or shared photos with me, or flashed me in NOLA restrooms, for that matter. I would DEFINITELY chicken out right now if it wasn't for you ladies!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2010

Okay question: I am having problems getting my pre-op tests scheduled locally (the EKG, Chest X-Ray). The hospitals here are telling me that they can't do it unless the referring doctor has privileges at their hospital. Huh. I am stumped. Did anyone else run into this problem?

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Suzanna - I did not have that problem... but I think you might find others that have. You can always take a drive down here as the hospital here did it for me. The only issue was just getting the info to the docs as I had to call them because they didn't do it!

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing: Marcia called me yesterday to let me know that Kohls has the Barely There brand of bras on sale. I have not checked it out yet, but she said that they were super cheap - $9 or something like that and then on top of that it was buy one get one free... or half off...or... LOL... I hope I have it right! (Marcia, if I am giving inaccurate info, please correct me!). Anyway, I know a few of us love these comfy bras, so this may be something you want to check into!

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

Laughlines, I went to my PCP, he did the blood work in his office (has a statellite lab in his office). He wrote everything in his name, (kept my orders from the Center).  He did EKG in his office and wrote the other orders for the for hospital.  I did have to call his office several times to make sure they forwarded all the results to Dr. S. That took several calls, but evidently they got them all-don't wait til the last minute!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Man I feel luck with having the HBO/PCP that I have. He took the sheet the center gave me and wrote orders for all the tests and they faxed them to the center for me. They even helped with Mercy Medical because they needed to clear me to fly. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Nordy you mentioned about having a fund raiser or something when we are in NOLA in October. I just realized that the Company I work for (Verizon) will match any fundraising efforts,Does anyone have any ideas?

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Thanks for everyone's input on what we should do to get our pre op tests done. I am going to a new family doctor in a week and I hope that I she will be open to helping me. Will they need any medical records in NOLA?

To those of you who stayed at Hope Lodge. How did it work out? Was travel a problem since it is out of the downtown area? I know I will probably not be in any mood to do anything after the surgery, but I am not sure if I should go ahead and stay closer downtown so that I can walk to one of the restaurants if I feel up to it... Will I feel up to it ????

Laughlines, I am with you. my stage 1 isn't scheduled until 07/29 and I am so nervous. I wasn't even this worried when I had the Bimx...

Sandy2009, Glad to hear you are healing.. I had a drain plug up after my last surgery. It stopped draining all together. I took the bulb off and cleaned the opening which was really plugged. Well, I did get it to work a little bit but it never did work right. I really think the fluid build up after these surgeries are the worst part. I am still fighting with swollen hands and swelling around the side of the infection....apparently even if lymph nodes are not removed, the lymph system can have problems due to infection or surgery.

• sandy2009
    edited May 2010

Sheridangirl ~ Hi Lynn, thanks, the plugged tube was scary for me.   There is a valve at the top of the bulb, once you fill the bulb with tap water (not a good idea - not sanitary) it's breaks the suction part.  I heard my husband cleaning this, filling it - squeezing out over and over!  I slept all night and it didn't drain (bulb not compressed), it wasn't till later in the morning that my husband was told to pulled the drain.  We had to watch the area for days, observe for fluid build up and stay on my antibiotic.  So far it's okay - still watching though.

Lynn, my thoughts to you after your operation is you'll want to eat, maybe even walk to a restaurant, take it slow..you'll still feel the effects of the anesthesia, pain medication etc.   I walked 8 blocks to the WWII museum from the Clarion 3 days after my revision.  My legs were swollen, but I was told it was good to move and walk around.    You may feel uncomfortable with the black-binder-girdle you have to wear around-the-clock, if it's hot.   Bring loose (oversized button up tops) and drawstring shorts (this is what I was most comfortable in as well as crocs).  

Also, I took medical records (from Ohio) to the consultation for NOLA to keep.   You can get your mammograms, mri's etc on disks as well as written records. These were given back to me after the operation.   Good luck, you're going to an amazing place!

Sandy2009

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Tammy -  Thanks, and so glad that worked!  I'll have a little something in the mail to you to help asap.

Spring - I used Microsoft Publisher to put mine together, cause it let me set the size at 12 x 12, then saved it as a .jpg file to send to Tammy.  I did it on the computer just to get the "layout", but after I had some more issues, I realized I was not going to get it done, I emailed Tammy and asked about emailing the file, which worked, thank goodness!

Antibiotics seem to be helping slow the "drainage" from under the scab.  Hopefully it will stop by the time I go to chemo on Thursday.....

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Sandy - so glad things are going wel for you. that WAS a long surgery!

Laughlines - you are going to be soooooooooooo happy when u wake up from your surgery and look down at the sexy black bra and see that your girls have come back! Everything will go great - it's magic! plus, don't u have Dr. D.? He's the best!!!!

SheridanGirl - They will need other medical records. You should get a packet, including a sheet that will tell u everything u need. also, if u're thinking of staying somewhere other than Hope Lodge, I would encourage u to stay in the Quarter - which is not the same as downtown. Downtown is modern big buildings, businesses, not too much in the way of hotels. The French Quarter is where u want to be. It's Brigadoon! Loads of little restaurants and things to see. I think u will feel up to a little sightseeing. You need to see Jackson Square and the Cathedral and Cafe du Monde! Also, a short little walk on Bourbon at night! Listen to some music! You could always stay part of the time at Homewood and part in the Quarter... also, my advice is to keep the on-q ball (the pain ball that looks like a cannon ball) as long as u can - don't ditch it when u're discharged. u'll be way more comfortable, even if you have to sling it over your shoulder - small price to pay... 

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Gin - good luck and continued healing!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Gin - good luck and continued healing!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2010
    Minnesota, you suggested staying in the French Quarter. We are set (yes already) to stay at the hope lodge the whole time, but I was thinking of going a day or 2 early to site see. What are some good reasonable priced hotels, if that even exists :) I've heard from others great things about the clarion.
  • Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Dragonfly1976~ I stayed at Hope Lodge and I rented a car.  If you look around you can get a decent (little) car for a reasonable rate.  We went to enterprise and used our AAA discount and it was really reasonable.  We didn't use the one at the airport but another one.  This allowed us to stay at the lodge, still sight see with a much cheaper price tag.

• sandy2009
    edited May 2010

Minnesota ~ Eve, thanks - it was longer than I expected, I guess there was extra "tweaking", lipo too.  Dr. D. centered the belly button and a lift on the opposite breast for symmetry.  All looks good!  I need another revision for a nipple on one breast yet.   Healing at home, each day gets better and better.

thanks Laughlines too, I'm glad the drains are out!

Dragonfly ~ I stayed at the Bienville House in the French Quarter for my consultation visit, during the week it's about 90/night - more on the weekends, very nice & clean - beautiful courtyard, continental breakfast in the morning (amazingly quiet for being right in the French Quarter - it's historic, there is a limo service provided by the center).   For my revision surgery I stayed at the Clarion, very very convenient - you can walk to St. Charles hospital and Walgreens is nearby.  It's your basic hotel, it has a restaurant on main floor.  For convenience, it's good and nice area for walking.

Sandy2009

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Dragonfly - We have stayed many times at Place d'Armes - there's a special rate thru the Center - only $79, actually, when we go in July - and for a balcony room. It would be more expensive in October. Also, weeknights are cheaper than weekends. It really depends on what type of place you prefer. When I'm staying in the French Quarter, I want to feel like I'm in the French Quarter, so we don't go in so much for the new high rise hotels, but prefer the historic places. Also, we like the location, as it is only a block away from Jackson Square. Some of the others entail a lot more walking to get to stuff. On the other hand, we have to hoof over a few extra blocks to catch the streetcar.

Best thing is look at some of the suggested places on the Center's website and see what appeals to you. Also, see where they're located on the map, in relation to other places. The Center provides transportation for you to and from the airport and your appts., so being close to the Center really isn't an issue. It's a short car ride from the Quarter. You could rent a car, as well, for sightseeing prior to your surgery, but if you're driving into the Quarter, parking is limited - tho there are lots - not always super close to where you want to be, tho. I'm sure you could also check that out online, as well. And if you have a rental car at the hotels, they usually charge you extra to park. Just some variables to consider. Also, we really like the Monteleone - beautiful fancy lobby, rooms decorated in grand New Orleans style - four-poster beds, but it's a bit pricier, tho not as bad as some of the others. Bienville House is nice, too. 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Dragonfly - I also liked the Homewood Suites where I stayed after Stage 1.  They have hot breakfast and buffet dinner included Sun-Thurs, I think.  1 bedrm suite had two queen beds, and couch that made into bed.  Had kitchen. Very nice. Don't remember the room rate, but I know the Center does get a discount.  I drove in for Stage 1, and we left the car parked at the hospital for the days I was at Homewood Suites cause I knew I wouldn't be out and about much after surgery, and it saved me the parking fees at the hotel which ARE ridiculous! (Plus I am cheap! lol)

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

I want to share a good report.  I'm 4 weeks post-op from Stage 2, swelling is down, and it's time to see what size i truly am.  I've needed to shop for some dresses for my oldest daughter's bridal showers, rehearsal dinner, and wedding (June 5).  Prior to surgery, my fat collected in my lower abdomen.  Of course, that was removed for Stage 1.  And my larger breasts were reduced at Stage 2. I was thrilled to shop today and not have any trouble finding things to fit without having to maneuver around my lower bulge or large breasts. There are some pretty cute dresses out there right now (Anne Taylor outlet, 40% off this week).  It was such an encouragement to have a shape which works well in clothes, in addition to being cancer-free.

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Minnesota - You are right and wrong about Laughlines... You were right, she DOES have the best, but here is where you were wrong: it is Dr. Sullivan!     Oh, I see some more leg wrestling coming on... Wink

Tam - I just PM'd you... I need your last name to ship to you. Yes, it is 3 AM and I just finished my pages... But don't let that fool you, I can assure you it is not masterpiece work of art! But, it says what I want it to say!