Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Oh Tammy, some people are so rude. I am glad you made it.

Sally, I had a lot of swelling in my hands and chest after my infection and treatment. It is 2 months later and the swelling has finally subsided. I did go to massage therapy to have her work on my lymphatic system and I am not sure if that helped or not. 

Jamieh, I react to stitches too. I had my implant removed 2 months ago and last week I noticed a lot of swelling and drainage from the surgery site. Well, there were some stiches left in there and so, I fished around and removed them and the very next day, everything looked great.. I guess some of us are just more sensitive!!!

Saw my PS today and told him I am not going to do TE and implant again... He was very understanding. I told him I am planning on going to NOLA. He did give me the names of a few Drs in the San Diego area who do DIEP, but....I am really comfortable with my decision and will stick with it. I see orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to see what can be done about my frozen shoulder. I am not sure if I should get it fixed before I do my reconstruction or not. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Take Care All,

Lynn

Lynn

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2010

Pam,

Take your second Diflucan 4 days after your first one.

I'm dismayed by your pain situation. It sounds like nerve pain, or some funky deep scar tissue. I wonder if you'd benefit from the ultrasound that PT uses...or deep tissue massage? How frustrated you must be.

Tammy, perhaps a letter to that gate-keeper's supervisor about lack of compassion as well as her poor customer servie skills is in order? Even if she does have to just do her job to pay her mortgage (don't we all?) she should state so to the public.

Oh, and Pam, about the veins--my best one got so sclerosed when someone pushed some IV phenergan too fast. It'll never be the same. The veins on the arm I won't use because of LE potential are stellar, though. Of course.

Anne

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Pam, you know I have had my share of "issues" lol.... I do still have a scab on my right breast from my last surgery on 2/10, so they can hang around a long time.  That one is definitely WAY smaller than it started out, and after the last antibiotic it has about quit oozing from underneath, but just had chemo last Thursday, so waiting to see if it starts again.  I know Dr. D wants it to stay on till all is headed underneath.  Last time I talked to Jeanine about it, she said it might be sometime in June....  Just hang in there, but I would get in touch with someone about the pain.  that is not right!  I have more issues with numb areas than I do with pain.

Went to work without my wig today, lol....got a lot of strange looks.  One girl just stared and said "boy, your hair is short"   Course most of them didn't even know I had lost my hair, they all thought my wig WAS my hair.  Once I get used to NOT wearing it....will be hard to go back to it,.  Not sure how long it will take for the swelling and soreness to go away.  Anyone know on concussions? 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

Thanks, now I don't feel so bad. I was starting to feel guilty, perhaps I was so mad because I got emotional...but now I think I AM going to write a letter, humph!

Now, on to the good stuff, I have the album all wrapped up with a big  a pink bow (the album is pink leather) and hopefully by Thursday by my post op with Dr. D, Dr. Sullivan will have seen it too!

Also, check out the cookies I am taking Dr. D and the staff at the Center, boobies!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

OMG!  I freaking love the cookies!!! Where did you get them or did you make them? 

I'm glad you went and spoke your mind.  And do follow up with a letter.  When my son was undergoing chemo, we flew from Seattle to Spokane. He had just had the entire muscle on the inside of his left cast removed, so he was in a cast.  He was 2 1/2 at the time.  He couldn't walk.  I put him in a wheel chair and one of the employees told me I couldn't use it because it was for disabled people only.  HELLO!  Did he not see my bald kid in a cast that couldn't walk.  I explained that Tre had cancer and he didn't care.  He took the chair from me.  I never did write that letter. I regret it to this day.  It still pisses me off!!!  

((((PAM))))  You shouldn't be in that much pain honey.  I'm so sorry.  How about accupuncture?  I'm all for East meets West in medicine. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Thrush - I got that, too.  Fluconizole helped quite a bit.  I also did a 2 week antiCandida cleanse called "Candigone", then followed that up with a 2 weeks series of high-probiotic called BioK.  It worked very well.  That darned yeast is such a pain!!  I hope you get relief soon

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Stage 2 swelling - that whole body swelling is uncomfortable.  Mine lasted about a week.  I can remember, to the day, when my body readjusted - what a relief!  IV fluids are part of it, and the lipo fluids are another part of it.  The type of lipo they do involves injecting saline, which ends up adding lots of fluids.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Tammy, Are the cookie pics on the timtam site? Say, if worrying about taking pics ruins the moment tomorrow, don't feel you have to take them. Just take mental snap-shots.

Trishia, I can't believe they did that to you and your son! OMG how can people be so stupid!!!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2010

Tammy- good Luck today!  The Cookies are Hilarious!

That is terrible how you were treated at the airport.  Im glad you went back & spoke up.  I definately would write a letter.

Gin- Hope your head feels better soon!  I hope your scabs dont start oozing again.

One of my scabs 1/2 came off the other day- the good one.  So I pushed it back in place & put a tiny, tiny corner of brown tape over the edge until it adhered again.  LOL.   Wow- yours have been there for months!  I may still have them at my stage 2B.

Thanks everyone for your replies.   Trisha I wouldnt know how to find an Acupucturist...But I am certainly not opposed to that.  Wow- terrible how You & Tre were treated when he was so young.

Kcshreve-Where would I find the 2 things you mentioned?

Thanks Anne- I took my 2nd Pill last night.  I sure hope it kicks in.  12 hrs so far & nothing - LOL

My pain is weird & hard to describe.  I do think it stems back to the size of my flap.  my right side was 695 gms & my left was only 525 gms.  I dont think I had that much tissue to donate..So I am way over stretched.  but it is almost 7 months after stage 1.  My body should have adjusted by now.  It is both sides with pain, so neither has adjusted to stretching.

It doesnt feel like your typical Nerve regenerating.  While I do have an area over each back hip that Stings & burns throughout the day.  the general pain is just sore.  And hurts to be touched.  like my Fat & bones are bruised.  When I move my Right leg I get the Pulling pain, Or my skin feels like it is ripping....Like I dont have enough Skin & tissue for moving.   It has felt this way all along.   I still have the Numbness going on all over my back too.  How can it hurt when it is numb!

• Dejaboo
    edited May 2010

Jeans...Been meaning to post this for over a week.

So I was googling Tiny Tushes...More came up under Flat Butts.  LOL

Here is what to look for in a Pair of Jeans.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2315627_buy-jeans-women-flat-butts.html

http://www.jeanshub.com/JeansforSmallButts.aspx

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1393112/best_jeans_for_your_flat_butt_includes.html?cat=69

This last link Lists Levi Boot cut low rise jeans...Which I have worn for the last 7 years probably...never felt like it made my butt look bigger..But they are my favorite jeans....So maybe that is why..... I am still searching for Smaller Pockets.

I am going to try some outlets like TJMaxx & Marshalls & see what they have.

most of the jeans listed are Expensive : (

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Pam I have the pulling sensation that you are talking about where my donor site is.  I have slowly been stretching it and FINALLY is giving some without feeling like it is going to pull open.  Mine was pulling whenever I bent over to pick something up and was really a horrible feeling. 

Does anyone know if they can re-contour a nipple once it is in place ???  My bad one looks to be healing but it looks silly.  I know I will have to wait but right now it looks like a huge skin tag a large round one. 

• Dejaboo
    edited May 2010

Thanks Jaimie,  I did stretch alot after stage 1.  I havent too much yet after stage 2 ...But did restart about 2 weeks ago.

I will keep at it & hope that it helps- You would think it would eventually.

Hope your Nip can be re contoured.  I would think it is something that can be done.  maybe post on  'Ask the Dr' ?

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Pam I hope you eventually get some relief ((hugs)).  The stretching is helping but this morning I started picking up things on the floor and it reminds me every so often that I have had surgery.....and I am not sure about you but it almost feels like it is going to rip at any second. 

So I will be 4 weeks on Thursday does anyone know if I can start running ??

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Okay - NOW  I see the cookies - duh! LOL!

Dejaboo - I didn't really think about your being still so soon out from stage 1. With my DIEP, I was very tight! Even at a year out, I was still tight. Dr. D told me that he wouldn't even consider trying to lower my ab scar until at least a year out - so the skin could stretch in that time. Even so, I didn't give him very much to work with. So I don't think it's unusual - at least in my experience - that you would still feel really tight. The sore skin you describe is also how I would describe how mine was (and is again) - sore to the touch, like a sunburn. I think it's nerves regenerating. Eventually that went away on my stomach, so I'm not worried about it now. And I don't think 7 months is long for numbness either. Really, even after 18 months, even 2 years, actually, I was still regaining sensation.

• Dejaboo
    edited May 2010

I think with a DIEP though Eve- the tightness is usually expected & happens.

When I posted after my stage 1...how much my backside hurt- even 2+ months out...Everyone else that had a SGAP said they never experienced pain back there.   I was like the only one at the time with GAP pain.  LOL

I just made it through my 2 year Amputation of my breasts this weekend.   I am still as numb as I was then on my front & upper back. (most do not go numb on the back from a BLM)   I think some get extra numb from surgeries & I dont expect to get much feeling back.  I hope I do- as it is really annoying having so many body parts that are numb.  my left leg was less numb then my right after stage 1.  but the lipo made the whole front of my left leg numb. So now they are almost even with no feeling.

Sorry- I guess I am just in a complaining mode. 

What is is.  There is probably not much I can do about it but give it time.  (I am almost 7 weeks from stage 2)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Tammy, the cookies are cracking me up! Please report back on the reaction to those! And the book of course...

I got low rise jeans with pockets on but from Banana Republic. You're right Pam, expensive, but they give me a butt baby! Worth every cent!  (100 range, I got on sale for like 50). Holy cow on the prices of some of those jeans!!! 

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

Okay, I gave him the cookies before my Pre-op officially began. He laughed and thought they were great. At first he though it was just something from a bakery....lol, not! Then I gave him the scrapbook AFTER he was finished marking me. He was blown away!!!!!!Laughing He just kept saying "I can't believe you guys did this for me!" I told him that we have been working on it for quite a while. When he looked at Cindy's (HOTBUTT's) page  he said "that little sneak didn't even give me a hint"! He just loved each and every page and he showed the girls outside right away. I heard them going on and on while I was in the room getting dressed..woo hoo! I have several pictures of him looking at it and I will try and post them tonight on TIMTAMs site under SCRAPBOOK. Mission accomplished ladies, good job!!!

While I was waiting to go in I met another woman who has a DIEP scheduled with Dr. D tomorrow...hmmm, I thought I was tomorrow morning??? Well, they postponed me till later in the morning. I was a little bummed, I want Dr.D to be refreshed for all the blue marker he's going to be tackling!! I told her about us and this site and encouraged her to check us outSmile

So let me get to this picture thing, I'll post later tomorrow, hopefully!

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

Great work Tammy! Boob cookie baker! LOL. You know, a bakery in NOLA might have boob cookies. Or want to carry them.... You might do a patent! ha!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Ladies, I just made my flight reservations for August. It is amazing how the price can drop in a matter of  hours. Got a good deal

Sara, I am flying in on Tuesday the 17th so hopefully we will meet up. I am coming by myself and then my cousin is flying in on Friday. She is also BRCA positive and her mom died of ovarian cancer. So she wants to see the hospital and Hope Lodge. I am excited to show off this awesome place.

I am thinking of staying at Place D'armes because I want to stay in the French Quarter so I can see more than the inside of St Charles and Hope Lodge. Have any of you stayed there and if so what was your opinion?

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

Tammy - Good luck!!!  Good job on the scrapbook/cookie delivery!  lol, yes, Dr. D is the best... I really think he is so genuine and real... I'm sure he appreciated the book.... sorry I missed you...

I got home Monday night and I'm tellin ya... this swelling is pretty challenging... I am really uncomfortable in this girdle.. can't even begin to hook the waist hooks... and even my face is swollen.. so this morning I got on the scale... and was shocked...  like 8 lbs over pre surgery weight... AFTER lipo.. so I am totin around a bunch of fluid..... when does it go down ?  I don't mind the soreness or the bruising but the swelling.. yuk.  I topped today off with a migraine so I'm kinda half here tonight watching Idol...  AND.. I think I am having Icee withdrawals!!  Tammy.... enjoy the Icees!!

I am trying not to judge anything since Stage 2 was just Friday (Dr. D told me not to look....he said it's like a cake in the oven.. and I shouldn't keep opening the door trying to judge it before it's done).  I have some unique challenges with areas around my sternum that had to be filled in.  If fat injections don't stick..... I may end up with one more surgery but I'm going to just concentrate on healing for now... :) 

I also met a really nice lady at the Center after my pre-op.... she had just had a consult with Dr. D for an SGAP... so I dragged her into the bathroom and flashed her and let her have a feel... lol... it was funny... we were walking out and I said "what's your name again?".... we cracked up... I mean in what other situation would you meet someone and within 10 minutes let them feel you up and you didn't really get their name... lol.  Ok... well... maybe college... just kidding!!  Anyway... I wanted to help her and let her know what I thought of  Dr. D....  I wanted her to see that she was in the right place... 

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Hotbutt (a.k.a. That Little Sneak!) - I'm not having icee withdrawal, but icee anticipation! When my husband heard about the icee machine, he asked me right away - when is your next surgery?! Icees in New Orleans in July - wow! I'm still carting around some of the water weight from - what is it now? 8 weeks ago? Just don't eat excessive salt - that makes it worse! Pictures taken of me 3 weeks out show one fat face! Now I'm used to my face, so couldn't tell you if it's fat anymore or not! I love your story of the lady you met! LOL! Isn't it great to be able to get felt up and know it's a good thing you did?!

Sally - You know I love Place d'Armes! The most beautiful courtyards I've seen in NOLA. And at night, there are little lights in the trees. Lovely! Ask for a balcony room. There's a great one with a balcony right over the entrance, and you can look down the street to Jackson Square and Cafe du Monde. Also, there are rooms overlooking a common balcony on the side of the building, where you can look out and see Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral. And you will hear the sightseeing carriages clip-clopping along the street. No doubting you're in the Quarter!There is also a lovely little swimming pool that is a great place to just dangle your feet in, if yu don't feel like swimming - and I'm thinking that during your stay in August (and mine in July), that is just what we might be needing!

Tammy - Oh my goodness! Tomorrow! We'll talk to you on the other side of it! 

Dejaboo - Maybe most ladies aren't as tight in the rear after SGAP as you were (altho I'm pretty danged tight), but that doesn't mean the tightness won't go away after more time has passed. I would bet any money on it Try not to give up on it!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2010

I had tightness on my lateral hips for several months after my SGAP. Crossing my legs really aggravated it. And lying on my sides on the floor like for mat Pilates can still feel tender. Myofascial release by my massage guy helped so much, and 6 months out, I still need it loosened. But I don't have pain, per se, and I have total feeling in the entire donor area. I figure it's mostly adhesions--scar tissue sticking to the muscle. Doesn't allow for normal function, and nerves can have a hard time regenerating through it.

Anne

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Hey Holtbolt:  You will get through this!   Got narcotics?  take em!  And for God's sakes, stay off the scale!   The swelling is helping you heal and nothing to worry about.  

(((((((((((Hugs))))))))))) to you!.  

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

Hey you guys, I have been working on those darn pictures for HOURS!!! I can't believe they are still too big, I even used the re-sizing software!I am going to use one of them as my avatar so you can at least see one of them, I'll get the scrapbook pictures up as soon as I can figure it out!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Tammy! Don't sweat it! Rest! Relax! Go to sleep!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

I feel like I'm always the last one to read and reply to everything that goes on here. Tammy, great job on getting pics with Dr. D and the beautiful scrapbook!  Thanks so much for putting it together for all of us, and delivering it.  Can't wait to hear from you after surgery....I probably won't get to check in again until late tomorrow night.

I ordered custom breast cancer ribbon shoes from Dezario and they arrived this week.  The shoes are made in USA and we are making a donation from each pair sold to Breastoration (www.breastoration.org).  They are Swarovski crystal and fine leather, a pearlized pink leather that is just gorgeous.   This style is only available on our web site - no one else has them.  The owner of Dezario is sympathetic to our cause and was so happy to make these! Dezario Pink Crystal Breast Cancer Ribbon Sandals

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Sandy - BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dejaboo
    edited May 2010

Tammy- Sounds like it was a Fun Pre op! I wish I had been ready to get my page to you...

HotButt-That is funny about the Bathroom Flash & all!  But how neat for the Woman to see results in person!   I have gained water weight with every surgery I have had.  I gained the most with Stage 2- 12 #s.  It came off the fastest in about 10 days.  But I have had water weight from surgery last up to 7 weeks.   I like Drs Ds Cake/oven example.

Target had a New Icee Flavor Blackberry with lemonade.  it was very good!...   hope your Migraine is better today. Good idea to just heal for right now.

Minn- I wish it was just the tightness that was bothering me.  But its really the pain that worries me.   Hopefully that will go away along with the tightness

Sandy- How pretty the Shoes are!  I love Sparkling Pink!  

So I get a letter from my Insurance company yesterday...telling me that according to their records I am behind in my cancer screenings for Breast cancer & cervical cancer...Well if they would look closer at their records...you would think they would see they paid to have my Breasts removed 2 years ago  & also my cervix 10 months ago!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2010

Ladies - thank you for your advice about scheduling my pre-op tests. I did talk to my onc and his office took care of everything for me.

Good luck Tammy! I hope all goes well.

Holt - I like that cake/oven analogy too. I keep thinking that I will be afraid to look for at least a week after surgery. Maybe that's not a bad idea eh?

Cool shoes Sandy!

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

Sandy, those are HOT!!!  Your new avatar should be your feet sporting those babies! Love the sparkle! 

HotButt (LOL - I think this one may stick in my mind, sorry!!) - NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL!! I blew up like a friggin' balloon after stage 2, it was worse than stage 1, WAY worse. Your body will transform, but it will take time. I am now almost 6 months past stage 2 and what a HUGE difference. Everything is better.  Wait 1 month, huge difference, 2 months, same. The first few weeks are tough. We didn't call it the Dominatrix from HE77 for nothin'!

Minn, I don't do icees. : (  My osteopath says to eliminate sugar... (as does the Anti-Cancer book!) so I really try. Take a pic of you having one and I will enjoy vicariously!!!  

Pam, I hear you. I was so glad when the local radiology center called and got my husband instead of me. They were saying how I was behind on my mammograms. Apparently, he told them I had bilateral mastectomy from a "mass" that their friggin mammograms missed for years. They told him they would take me "off the list". They never called back. HA!!!   Now that's love.

Tammy, can you post to a picture site like Picasa? (or maybe you are already trying that??) I can't wait to see!!!  That is a cute new Avatar of you with Doc D!! Too bad his shoes are not in the shot. HA! (I have to stay true to form!).