Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited June 2010

Sheridangirl - let me know how the surgery goes.  Yeah, it doesn't sound like it will be any fun plus he said there would be alot of PT.  I'm so hoping that I can unfreeze it without surgery but will have to wait and see.  Best of luck tomorrow!

nmi - that gives me encouragement that I might be able to unfreeze it without surgery.  So far, I haven't needed any pain pills.  Advil helps with the aches & pain.

AnneW - trust me, if you have a frozen shoulder, you don't want to wait 12 - 18 months for it to fix itself.   

Minn - keep working that arm, don't let it freeze up.  You do not want that to happen!  I wish I had worked with mine more when I realized before stage 1 that it was stiffening up. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Okay, I think you guys have convinced me to get a PT referral. My husband agrees with you, too.

Dejaboo - I didn't even know they had sugar-free Redbull. I'll look for that next time - that's even healthier! LOL! I remember when I was drinking it 2 years ago. My son's friend thought it was just hilarious - apparently he thought mothers didn't drink this stuff - ha! - we need it more than they do! Hey - we took our son out to eat at TGIFridays the other night, and they had a special on Redbull and vodka! I would have ordered one, but I'm struggling too much with this acid in my throat. My son's expression changed from his usual this-is-so-boring facade to a little bit of surprise when I was seriously considering it!

Ginny - how is your head feeling?

Sallym - how is your incision doing?

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

See Eve- I told you you should have gone out with us Sat & Just brought your son with!

It may take a while to get used to the sugar free.  But once I did - I liked it better. (and healtier- LOL)

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2010

I have never regretted having PT after each of my surgeries...in addition to shoulder mobility and strengthening, it's helpful to ask for a therapist skilled in myofascial release massage. It has provided me with alot of relief from swelling, tightness and burning pain on and around my scars.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2010

I have a question for the NOLA alums. I've been reading on other threads that in some places they keep the room very warm for the first couple of days post DIEP. Is this what they do at NOLA? Considering the hot flashes I am having on tamoxifen, that does not sound fun. That may seem like a small thing to worry about, esp. 2 1/2 mos ahead of time, but I guess I need to focus on something:) Also, did anyone get a med pre-op to help with the post op nausea?  I had Emend before my mastectomy and implant exchange and it worked really well.

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

amy,

They don't keep the rooms warmer at NOLA, so that's one less thing for you to worry about! Also, it sounds like you might be availing yourself of the icees they have now in the hospital there - that should help hot flashes, too! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2010

Amy - They did not keep my room particularly warm... my husband would have been dying. BUT, they did want me to keep the covers over the "girls" so that they stayed warm. I had the Scopolimine patch prior to surgery to help with nausea, and it worked really well - although some people don't like it because it can make you a little dizzy. I didn't have that happen. 

As for the frozen shoulder issues - Anne is absolutely right. A frozen shoulder will eventually resolve on its own - it is just a matter of time. In the meantime I would go to PT and follow through with your home exercise program that they give you! This is often not done and it is in your best interest to do your exercises!  Hang in there... And Eve, if you are starting to feel stiff, it certainly would not hurt for you to have some PT and get started on a home exercise program to prevent further loss of range of motion.

Sugar free Redbull? Are we sure that is any healthier? (okay, so we are talking about Red Bull here, is there a way to even make it healthy?!) LOL - I don't know, personally I would stick to the sugar, at least you know what it is and where it came from. Aspartame, sucralose, saccharin - do we really know what these chemicals are? In addition, studies have shown that they cause your blood sugar to spike much in the way sugar does - and they can actually make you fatter! (Not that either of you ladies need to worry about that!) Okay, I will get off my soap box now... Just "food" for thought Wink

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Great questions Amy. I think I am going to ask for some Emend. I'm nervous about the nausea.

Here's a question from my hubby: do they have Wi-Fi at St. Charles? ; )

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2010

They do have Wi-Fi at St. Charles :)

KC~ I am so sorry to hear about your sister. 

BTW, the patch worked for me also but I couldn't see.  If you look back to my post from Jan 26/27 you will see my blind typing...lol....

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

If you are having any lipo done during stage 2 you will need something roomy and cool to wear. I am 1 week out and i am still carrying the weight of the tumescent fluid that is used. Everyday I seem to pee a lot and feel a bit better. I am taking Bromolain tablets and they do double duty...they help shed the excess fluid, ANd they take care of the of "issues" we are always discussing about after surgery and getting blocked up!

Did most of you alums lose the drains after 1 week? My drains are putting out so little we can't even measure it! Janine said not to pull them, but she never called me today, so I'm ready to ditch the drains, I have to dress for my office job tomorrow!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

Well I made it thru my first 2 half days at work and I took about an hour nap afterwards. Now I have only been back 2 days but my right breast is hurting. Like someone is stabbing it with a knife near the sternum. Started today so I am hoping after a good night sleep it will stop, The incision did stop draining but still has an opening that has started to scab over. Finally!! Has anyone made hotel reservations for October. If so where?

• trainertam
    edited June 2010

Sally: My sternum hurt too after stage 1, they remove a piece of cartilige to pull the main artery through to connect the  veins from the new breast. That hurt me for a couple of weeks.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited June 2010

Tammy I had my stage 2 on May 20 and I still have one drain putting out about 20 cc.  I want to get rid of it, but I am going to wait til it's under 15 cc/day.  I want to get as much fluid out as possible before pulling it.

I am still having swelling in my legs and ankles/feet at night. It seemed to subside for a few days but when the weather heated up again, it's back. 

I think I may need a bb revision.  After stage 1 it was perfect.  I had my ab incision lowered and a new bb made which is really small--too small I think.  Anyone else have anything like this?  Other than this fairly minor glitch, everything else is great.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited June 2010

I didn't take any stitches out except to snip the knot that was there after a couple of weeks.  Not sure about the white ridges, but I would be curious to know since I thought they were dissolving stitches.

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2010

Tammy- After stage 2, drain pulled  5 days later-had been putting out 5cc for 3 or 4  days and color had a rose tint. Got the ok from nurse to pull drain.  I'd call back-good luck, nothing like being drain free!!

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

2t - I wore white capris over the black dominatrix, and it didn't show. Check out the pants u like against a black background. The weave may be close enough together that it won't show.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2010

2T! So happy to see you post! I also wore white shorts (hit just above the knee) after stage 1 over my dominatrix and it was totally fine. Yes, just double check the knit to see if it is really that see-through. As for the length of the dom after stage 2, mine was calf length - certainly not to my ankles. I don't know if that varies depending on your height/weight ratio, but if I remember you were around the same height as me? 

Sally - I have not booked a hotel yet for October... have the plane tickets but need to do that as well as register for the run. We are thinking the Homewood, but I also wonder if we might want to stay in the Quarter. We will see... 

Tammy - definitely call them on that drain... I doubt they will make you keep it in if it is not draining anything!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

kc, I haven't been here for a couple of days, and was so sad to read about the loss of your sister.  I'm sorry that you're dealing with that loss while anticipating such a milestone this weekend. 

I obtained some great nutritional information this week and wanted to share it with you ladies.  The first are basic supplements, followed by info for preventing or fighting breast cancer and recurrence.

1. Min-Tran   4 tablets with meals, 12 per day.  A combination of calcium, magnesium and trace minerals for bone replacement and body ph.  The form of calcium in this is far more effective than the "junk" calcium in normal vitamins, so not as much is needed.

2.  MSM- 1000 mg per 30 lb body weight, speeds repair of injuries, and restores joint health.  At Trader Joes and health food stores. 

3. Omega 3----6000 mg per day.  Fatty acids from fish oil.  Every cell in your body is screaming for omega 3 to stay healthy.   

4.  Very Green- Trader Joe's brand of dehydrated green vegetable juice.  If you fall short of nine servings per day of fruit and vegetables, dehydrated juice supplements help you catch up.  

5. Grape Seed Extract---1 mg per lb of body weight (150 lbs takes 150 mg).  Better than Vit C as an antioxidant.  Available at health food stores.   

The following are from Sheryl Crow and her breast surgeon, Dr. Kristi Funk, who just opened the Pink Lotus Breast Center here in L.A.

1. Three cups of green tea a day can prevent breast cancer by as much as 50% because of its high EGCG antioxidant content. Squeeze a little lemon into your cup and increase the antioxidant power of your tea. I just ordered mine from VitaCost.com.  It is sweetened with Stevia from Sweet Leaf, which is supposed to be the heathiest/least-processed Stevia formula to use.

2. Garlic is a good immunity booster that also has anti-inflammatory properties.

3. Olive oil, borage oils and flaxseed oil contain monounsaturated fat, which can help suppress breast cancer.

4. Turmeric helps decrease estrogen. As little as one teaspoon a day has been shown to reduce tumor growth. Get your daily dose by mixing it into salad dressings, rice or vegetable dishes.

5. Cruciferous vegetables, such as kale, bok choy and Swiss chard bind estrogen in your GI tract and reduce tumor stimulation. They also detoxify the liver, which helps reduce the toxins flowing through your body that can irritate cells and turn them into early cancers.

6. Seaweed/Kelp are high in iodine, this is another estrogen reducer.

7. A daily supplement of Vitamin D (2000 IU) can prevent tumor metastasis, reduce cancer cells and aid estrogen inhibitors. Calcium-rich foods, such as sardines, salmon, milk and cheese are also highly recommended. Or, 15-20 minutes of sunshine every day can help you in getting your daily dose of Vitamin D. All of these combined can decrease your breast cancer risk by up to 50%.

8. Studies show that inflammation plays a role in causing malignancies in several different organs, including the breast. Taking two Aspirin or Ibuprofen a week can reduce your chances of breast cancer by 21% to 28%. The anti-inflammatory properties in these drugs are also excellent for heart and colon health.

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2010

Really great info, Sandy. Thanks!

Just a word about the seaweed/kelp. Insure that it is tested for heavy metals and stick to amounts that do not go significantly above RDA for iodine. Too much can cause the thyroid to go the other direction and hypothyroidism. Moderation in all things.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

Sally I too had the Sharp Sternum pain..On both Sides.  Bilateral they remove 2 bits of rib.

I have not figured out my Hotel for Oct yet.

The pain did go away.

Nordy- I am enjoying my Afternoon Deadbull right now (with my String Cheese) I know its not good for me.  But I thoroughly enjoy it & its not going away right now.

Like Sue said- Moderation in all things & that is what I do.

(if it makes you Happy, it cant be that Bad)  LOL

Sandy, Great list.  I take some of those already

• laughlines
    edited June 2010

Hi ladies,

Starting to pack a bit. SGAP alums: were you wearing a larger size on bottom for a while after Stage 1? Or smaller?

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

First, ladies please keep my sister in your prayers. She had BC and total mastectomy last year  with no reconstruction. Memorial Sloan Kettering just found "something that does not look right on her left hip and spine" She just called and they want her back to NYC in the AM.

Regarding the BB stiches, I have some white thread in mine and when I pull it, it hurts. I asked Jeanine about it and she said only stitches put there were from March and should have dissolved.. I swear she acted like I was crazy to ask if I would still have stitches there but I do and I had stage 1 on March 23. Mine looks really crusty but I try to clean it and nothing comes off I know GROSS.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

KC, sorry about your sister - maybe the wedding is a good contrast - new beginnings! 

Sugar free Red Bull - who knew!

Nordy, I hate Lymphedema too. Sorry If I already said this, (can't remember!) but I have found that weight training is helping. I think it is puffing up the muscles and squeezing out the fluid, sort of like manual lymph drainage on yourself! I am doing it twice a week now. Seems to keep it under control much better.... and it's a good thing to do anyway!! I like it when I can find solutions like this.

Pam, sorry about the continuing scabs.... maybe the hardness is a good sign? Like getting ready to dry up and fall off??? 

Sandy, thanks for the info on sugar and fiber or protein. I know the insulin surges are not good for use anti-cancer people! You explained it perfectly and I think it is now committed to memory... I don't do hardly any sugar (certainly no jiuces - way high in sugars!) but I do occasionally so this is good to know! 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2010

Laughlines- you want something loose and flowy, but don't buy a size bigger. Your butt will be smaller, even if it's swollen.  I usually wear an L, got XLs, and now they're falling off me. I was able to make it work during recovery, but L would have fit better.

Same goes for underwear. I had to wear boy shorts for a while because of the position of the drains, but it's not necessary to get bigger than usual undies.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

sally - I hope your sister is okay..... :(

laughlines - I didn't buy anything  for bottoms after Stage 1... just some stretchy yoga type pants, same size as usual... that's what I wore 24/7 for weeks... you'll want to pack for the weather.. omg it's HOT and sticky down there..... try to imagine the least amount of clothes as possible to still cover up the drain belt around your waist...

• MsSherryInFL
    MsSherryInFL Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2010

I bought flowy skirts so that the drains could float under my skirt when I was out and about.  Inside the hotel I just pinned them to the outside.  This way I was nice and cool.  I did have to go buy a few larger tops cause my chest grew so much none of my shirts fit.  A trip to Sears to by a few tanks and t's and I was good to go.  I am now 3 weeks post sgap and still have hip drains but am making myself wear real pants.  They are not painful just feels odd cause the incision is a bit numb. 

• trainertam
    edited June 2010

Back to work, and everyone is very generous with me. I'm moving VERY slowly!

Want to recommend something for those going to NOLA for stage 2...."patio dresses" or cute 'dress" style beach/bathing suite cover ups! I had one sun dress with me, and it was good so I bought another cover up/mu-mu style while I was there because it was SO humid! Stacy said she recommends that to her patients (she took my pictures) and she said any kind of pants were just too hot. Mind you, I have the les covered to my ankles! I am 5'1" and they go down to 2" above my ankles and up to the bra line. I am walking around like a sausage!!! That is the hardest part of being back at work, dressing! But the good news is, I did get rid of the drains, yeah!!

My new boss (I'm on a new asignment) said I could leave early (as I see fit) for the next week or so. It's only been 1 week since surgery and so I took off at 2:00 yesterday and I needed it. I start at 7;30 so that was a very long day for me. One more day then the weekend to rest!

BTW: Janine said she is on vacation next week but the other 2 nurses will be there if you guys need to call.

• laughlines
    edited June 2010

Sally - thinking of your sister and hoping for the best.

Thank you for the clothing feedback ladies. That is helpful. I am now going to return my extra-large size bottoms that I bought and just bring some flowy cotton skirts and yoga pants instead. I know I may just be huddled in my bathrobe the whole time, but I want to have something I can wear outside just in case. Ugh - not looking forward to the heat in the dom!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2010

If there's a Target near you, look for these:

Modal Sleep Pants

They are VERY lightweight and flowy (and stretchy!), so they can be dressed up or down with different tops. And they're really comfortable to sleep in too. I ended up wearing mine 24/7, literally.  I'd avoid the light gray though, not as flattering as the darker colors.

These are less wide in the leg but same material (but no drawstring)

• MsSherryInFL
    MsSherryInFL Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2010

I like them!