Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2010

Dresses, dresss and more dresses!!!  Little cotton sundresses are PERFECT for after stage 2.  And if your dom outfit shows...who cares?!?!  They look like leggings.  You shouldn't have to pin anything, you should get a drain belt (if you need drains). 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

Sally- I hope your sister gets good news

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2010

Sally....sending your sis tons of positive and healing energy!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2010

IF YOU LOVE NOLA...please spread the word that the city has NO OIL in it and needs its tourists now more than ever. I posted online how much I wished I could DO SOMETHING and  a dear friend who is in NOLA wrote... ,"Marcia,spread the word that the City of New Orleans is fine,open for visitors, and is no way physically affected by the oil.Some people out of state seem to think New Orleans has oil in the water.Not true at all!"

PLEASE spread the word,FACEBOOK ,Twitter etc..NOLA thanks YOU!

Marcia

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2010

Would love to hear folks weigh in that have had lipo around the knees!--was the end result worth the extra recovery and longer dominatrix??? Thanks!

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2010

p.s. I had to edit my post above--I asked about people's end "re-sluts"--Gosh, I hope that's not what we are doing--but the dom sure gives us the right costume! (LOL)

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

My poor sister's car broke down in NYC. She was just finished at Memorial Sloan Kettering and leaving to come home ( 4.5 hours away) How much more can she take?? Now she is there til Monday. I think I will go to my mom's to help her with my sisters 4 boys.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Hi everyone! I hope you're all enjoying your weekends.

One more question for SGAP/ Hip Flap ladies - will I be able to sit on the floor after Stage 1? That is where I spend most of my time with my toddler these days.

Thanks!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2010

Laughlines- Probably not for a while. You'll have trouble getting up and down, and it might put a lot of strain on your incisions and drain sites. You'll also feel like you have less padding, and it'll probably hurt to sit on hard surfaces at first.  You should probably come up with a plan B, at least for a few weeks.

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2010

The most tender area is across the upper backside/hip area so leaning against the back of a chair or car seat wakes you right up. As jeskachi said, getting up and down will be the toughest part. Time to play on the couch for the first 2 or 3 weeks.  ;->

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

With  Stage 2 do you tell the Dr where you want the lipo or does he give you suggestions? Also remember my screw up with removing the nipples, Dr Dellacroce and Dr Laguard could not remember if I wanted nipple sparing or not so they did not take the nipples. During post op of stage 1 dr D said they look fine but if youi want them removed we can do it during stage 2. Well my ? is wouldn't there be some, minimal but still some, breast tissue left if I leave the nipple or would they have taken all the breast tissue and the nipple is just what I see ? Does that make sense? Opinions? Keep in mind I did not have BC but was/am BRCA positive. 90%chance of getting BC

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2010
    Laughlines... You know I will know this because of the ages of my kids! You can get down there... and you can get back up from there, but it will be tight, tight tight. AND if you do get to the floor, the best position I found was to sit on your legs - forget about long sitting and even cross legged sitting is not too comfortable in the beginning. Think modified Hero's pose as being your best bet, but when you get there, and you can get there, expect to use the couch and one leg at a time to stand... Best yet, let your little one bring the toys to you on the couch!
  • laughlines
    edited June 2010

Thank you jeskachi, Sue, Nordy. It is so great to have you ladies around!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Sally - Prayers for your sister and that she gets home soon! Geez - about the car! Also, look at the Center's website. It explains all about risk with/without nipple-sparing.

2t - I got one of those gauze skirts at Old Navy - the shorter black one. I figure it will go quite nice with the dominatrix leggings! Also, got some sundresses and tops that will go over the black bra - post stage 2.

Sarah - LOL! Re-sluts! That's what we all are with our great new teenage-looking breasts that we flash to everyone! 

Trishia, Tammy, Sherry - Yes, I got some sundresses! And yes, I have already used the dom outfit as leggings! I wore them that way on Bourbon on Easter night! Just be sure to bring black underwear with you!

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2010

I love reading everything in this thread as I prepare for my Stage 1 on Aug. 3rd. I arranged for a sitter today for the kids/dogs so one more thing done. Still have to reserve hotel and decide whether to drive or fly. It would be about a 13 hour drive. The drive down wouldn't be bad, but I do worry about the drive back. I might be uncomfortable and plus could not help DH with the driving.

Anyone take a long drive instead of a plane ride?

Also, I wonder about evaluation done with the pictures. Has anyone gone down and when the docs saw them in  real life decided there was less donor fat available or change donar site plans?

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited June 2010

Hi ladybug,

From the photos I was told I was a 'marginal' candidate for DIEP and there was a possibility I would have GAP.  When I had my pre-op I think it could have gone either way depending on what outcome I was looking for.  I didn't want big breasts and I told the doctor I would be willing to go smaller if necessary, so I was able to have the DIEP.  Unless you are really borderline or want to size way up, chances are they can tell you from the photos which procedure would work best for you.  They are pretty good at judging from the photos...many years of practice!

I think they try to accommodate the person's goals as best they can.

I flew, but I'm on the east coast so driving would have been out of the question.  13 hours does seem like a long time after such major surgery. 

Good luck--August 3 will be here before you know it!

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

Hi Ladies-It has been great to read all of your posts.  I am new to the board and finally decided to join the discussion.  I am contemplating using NOLA and have a consult with them in June--in about a week.  Just wanted to introduce myself and ask how you went about choosing Dr. S or Dr. D.  What would be the main differences between the two if any??  Just trying to get the Dr. that best suits me??? 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2010

Welcome Oddball!!

Dr. Sullivan is the BEST!! (Now I know Minnesota (Eve) and Sandy will disagree...)  Laughing

Honestly, both Dr. D and Dr. S are incredible - you can't go wrong with either one!

Best of luck - you are going to the most amazing group of surgeons.

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Hi All,

I had the frozen shoulder manipulation last Thursday. I was knocked out completely and the Dr also did a block so my shoulder was numb until 10:00 that night. I was only out for 20 minutes and didn't throw up and no pain...Yay... The pain from frozen shoulder is constant and I just couldn't see waiting to see if it would resolve it self. I have PT 2 times per week and have to do my exercises every hour. Yes, it is painful and I am taking percocet every 2 to 4 hours, I hope this does it. Out of the many procedures I have had in the last year, this was the easiest.The one thing I learned is that if you think you need PT, get it. I kept telling my PS that I was having trouble moving my arms and finally I insisted that he send me to PT. I will be having stage 1 surgery on 07/29 and will need to make sure that I keep my arms moving after that and will go back for more PT just to be safe.

I really appreciate all of the information on what to wear. I wore scrubs after my BIMX because I had trouble pulling up and buttoning my jeans. Scrubs are really comfortable and have little pockets in the legs that held my drains. Do you all think that they will be too hot to wear? I will definately go to Target and check out the lounge pants there.

I still haven't received my pre surgery packet. I e-mailed Katie yesterday and asked her to schedule me to stay at Hope Lodge and she said she would check on my packet and have them send it again. Is Stacy the person who handles the paperwork to be off work on disability and for FMLA? Does anyone have her e-mail address?

What is emed (the anti nausea drug)? I get so sick from anesthesia and would like to take any and everything that may help. My eyesight is also affected by scopolomine patches but I would do it if it would help.

Thanks All,

Lynn

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Has anyone stayed at the Bienville? We want to stay at a hotel in the area of the french quarter before my surgery and this looks like a nice place

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Hi Sheri, I have not stayed at the Bienville. When staying in the French Quarter, many of us have stayed at the Hotel Montelone. I like the roof top deck with the pool!

Sara and 2T - I had some lipo on a fat blob I had on the inside of my knees. The recovery from it was nothing compared to everything else I had lipo'd. I am so glad I did it. Short, mini skirts, etc -- no more fat knees! Yay!

Sally - If I was you I'd keep my own nipples. they sort of hollow out and ge as much tissue as they can. If anything every happens in that area, I was told it is very easy to get, right on the surface. My take. I kept all I could!

Oddball - you can't go wrong with either Doc. Both are very nice and excellent surgeons. Go to their Web site, look at their pics, and pick the one who sends you the best vibes! is my advice! If you don't pick, they will assign you one - which happened to me. If you give me the date of your consult, I will add you to the listing above, and maybe you can meet some other ladies while down there... up to you! 

Spring. 

• Oddball1
    edited June 2010

Thank you.  I do keep hearing both are great.....I am the type who needs a doctor who will reassure me eveything will be alright and "hold my hand."  I have had docs get irritated with all of my questions and my worry wart attitude.  Want one who will baby me I guess.  I also need a nurse who will be prompt to call me back and reassure me everything is ok without getting annoyed.  I need to feel like I am important and not just a number.  Would you all comment if your primary doctor matches one or all of these needs??  I need a doc who will really listen to my concerns...I am picky with the details.  I know both docs are awesome..but which one would match this criteria the best.  You know you have to meet someone to tell their level of patience, etc. It is so hard to tell just by their cv.  Feedback appreciated. 

• Oddball1
    edited June 2010
    Oh, my consult will be June 14th....would love to visit those in the hospital and say hi and meet new friends. Smile
  • Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2010

My Stage 2 is coming up in a month. For stage 2 did you go in and tell the Dr what you wanted done or did they just look at you and tell you what would be best for you and your body type?

My feelingis I wil be under, and I will NEVER be having elective surgery (lipo and such) ever in the future so....I would like whatever the hell they want to do! I want as much as they think is best and I'm still trying to grasp the plication thing and see if that's something I should consider. From what I've seen onhere everyone keeps saying its for people who've been pregnant or gained weight. I definitley fall into that latter category.

Any input ladies?

• Oddball1
    edited June 2010

For those who had the tummy tuck.....are you in a lot of pain long term??  Do you feel like you are wearing a corset??  Or does the pain go away?  I am so excited about the tummy tuck part but don't want to sign up for an uncomfortable mid-section long term?  One doctor I spoke to said she does not do a full tummy tuck because patients have complained about pain.  Anyone experence pain with this or just temporary pain???

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2010

I did not have a tummy tuck, but did have a diep and lipo around my hips and waist.  My tummy is pretty flat, even though I had 3 very big babies.  Of course, that's a relative observation.  I'm sure my tummy is not as flat as those who chose plication.  I just wanted to encourage you that with sufficient lipo at Stage 2, your diep tummy can be looking pretty fine even if plication is not your option.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2010

Wedding update - all went well.  Very smooth, entirely enjoyable.  My clothes all fit amazingly and comfortably the entire weekend.  I am absolutely tickled with my new clothes and how much easier they are to wear with my new shape.  Go DIEP!!

• laughlines
    edited June 2010

Welcome Oddball.

I wanted to pick the "ideal" doctor for me too, so I went out to NOLA and had separate consults with Dr. D and Dr. S.  I'll tell you that after meeting with each of them, I just could not decide! I am VERY picky about doctors and have interviewed just about every poor doctor in the Seattle area in the course of my treatment, and I honestly would have felt very good with either Dr. D or Dr. S. after meeting them both. I ended up going with Dr. S (surgery still to come) but it was basically a toss of the coin.

• Oddball1
    edited June 2010

Thanks everyone.  I originally had Dr. S and then changed to Dr. D since I had really only seen his patient's pictures.  Wish I could see all of your pics, but I just joined the group.  Now so many are saying Dr. S is awesome!!!  I am confused!!  I guess I will see this famous scrapbook when I go...maybe they are sharing with patients???  How very special for you all to do that for them!!  Makes them want to help us followers even that much more when they feel appreciated I am sure..thanks!! :-)  I feel reassured that both of them are great!!!  I will meet Dr. D and then Dr. S at the Force conference....so I guess I have time.  I am only concerned about issues that may arise after I return home.  How many of you guys had to go back to NOLA for complications???  The expense and logistics are concerning. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Oddball1 - I agree with what all have said above except LouAnn (a.k.a. Swastew)! If forced to pick between the two best surgeons in the world, Dr. D. is The Best! Actually, I have had both, both times. And I am very, very happy! I think that every gal will say that either of these guys fit all of your criteria - you cannot go wrong.  I had the plication procedure. It works better for some women than others - has something to do with how much of the fat layer is left after the DIEP procedure, I think. you can ask your doc what he thinks, in your particular case.I don't feel like I have a corset on. The DIEP procedure itself caused me to feel more tightness than what was added with the tummy tightening.

Sheridan - Owww! Gosh I hope the procedure helps your shoulder. I have my stage 2 on July 30th, so I'm sure I'll get to meet you! Also, I've been at Bienville House and it is very nice - grand New Orleans style.

KC - so glad your weekend went so well.

Melinda - definitely tell them what you want. they'll tell you if they think what you're asking for would be helpful or not.

2t and Laughlines - you guys are so diplomatic!

Springtime - How can a knee be fat?