Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Oddball - Oh, I had no need to return to NOLA with complications with either my DIEP or SGAP procedures.

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

Okay you guys, I feel slightly light-headed. I just posted pics to timtam - didn't really fully appreciate how rather scary it is to do that! I hadn't looked at the site in a long, long time, but checked it out again the other night. I was so impressed and inspired by those of you who've been courageous and generous enough to share your reconstructive journeys via photos. So, I decided that, instead of just telling you all that the scars do fade, I'd show you. So look under "DIEP abdominal and breast scars - 3 1/2 years out." As our dear Dr. D always writes, "Hope this helps."

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited June 2010

Welcome Oddball!  I have Dr. D and he's awesome!  Takes time to answer all your questions and the nurses and faciity is the best ever!  You can't go wrong with going to NOLA. 

Sheridangirl - Glad to hear from you.  Had been wondering how it went.  Ouch!  Sounds bad but I know it will get better for you.  I started PT yesterday for my frozen shoulder and seems to be helping already.  I'm so hoping to break it free myself.  We just have to keep working at it.   

Minn - WOW!  Just looked at your pictures and it's great to know how these scars will look in a few years.  Looking good girl! 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

when I went in for my stage 2 Dr. D said" I'm going to mark you as I see it, after I finish then you look in the miror and point out any other areas you have concerns with." And so,when he finished with his blue marker  I asked him about doing my knees, and he said 'No problem" ! And then I asked him to ZAP a couple of "barnicles" I had developed after Chemo . they are these rough patches that aren't quite moles and not quite skin tags, and they are VERY ugly. My back has them all over. Anyway, he removed about 12 of them and I had little bandaids on my back after surgery. All this of course in addition to the lipo he gave my sides, hips, upper abs and thighs. I love that man!!!!

He said " youre gonna hate me in the morning, but love me next month!"! He was wrong....I never hated him, even while wearing this black dom outfit in humid Nola, I love him!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited June 2010

Tammy....LOL....great line from Dr. D.  Well, I never hated him either and I'm sure we aren't alone!  I would choose him all over again in a heartbeat.  I like his personality and he is a magnificent surgeon.  (I don't know Dr. S but from the photos I've seen, he too is fantastic.)

I had the same experience with Dr. D marking me then giving me a chance to voice my concerns.  Still swollen and sore from the lipo, but looking forward to the "next month" phase!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

I'm not going to enter a vote in the "Who is the Best?" contest, but I went to NOLA with a lot of problems and after my first surgery, I was informed that Dr. D loves challenges and that I'd chosen the right doctor for repair of the lousy work my first surgeon did.   I did not have stage I in NOLA, so I've never been the recipient of Dr. S's work.   If I'd had both docs for stage I, I don't know how I could cast my vote for one of them over the other.  Obviously they work perfectly as a team, and I think they've both got the very best co-surgeon in the world.   I guess we are lucky that both are skilled enough to measure up to each other's standards!

Oddball, I know of a couple of ladies who had healing issues and headed back to NOLA.  The Center took care of the arrangements, including paying for the travel and hotel, so you don't need to worry about that.   Don't worry---you're in the best of hands in NOLA!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2010

Dr. S is the best... LOL - but I really don't think you can go wrong either way!

Okay, running here but have had some people ask for the link for the 1/2 marathon. I signed up today - you get $10 off if you are one of the first 500 and apparantly it is getting close. Remember you CAN walk it, but they want you to be done in 4 hours... which is totally walkable!

Here is the link:

http://jazzhalf.com/

Everyone come and run/walk. We can start together, spread out, then see each other at the finish! You will need to pick up your race packet the day before, unless you are staying at one of the hotels affiliated with the race - in which case you can pick it up from the concierge desk at that hotel. I am just planning on picking mine up.

Oddball - welcome. You are making a great choice - no matter which doctor you choose!

S/W Jennifer/Jane yesterday - she is hoping to make October! Woooohoooooo!!!! Can't wait... Cafe Du Monde, here I come. Love you guys!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

They are both great docs, I'm glad when I called they just assigned me on. I had such a feeling of peace knowing I was going to NOLA, I never looked back. Compared to what I could have had locally, it was so ground breaking -- which doc just never occurred to me as an issue. I was assigned Dr. D, and I knew Sandy had Dr. D. and I was pleased. I have met and talked to Dr. S, and I would let him work on me in a heart beat. you really can't go wrong with either. Both are lovely and patient. For surgeons as skilled as they are, they have incredible personalities and "manner". This is not typical in all surgeons!! Believe me!!!

Minn, I have to go look at your non-scars.... AMAZING!!! Just three years to go for me and my lines will be tiny, thin and white! You are a brave lady, THANK YOU!! It helped!!!

Somebody asked about Tummy tuck. DIEP is sort of like a tummy tuck, but in phase 2, you can also ask for (or ask if you should get) plication, where they stitch the tummy muscles together. Dr. D. said I didn't really need it -- but then said, well, from the navel down you pooch out a bit (my words) so I can do it there.

It was pretty rough in terms of recovery for me anyway, B/C after phase 2 I was so DONE with feeling compromised! I wanted to get back to Yoga, gym, etc. At about three months I felt like I lost patience - my lower tummy was like pooching out more (swelling or whatever, not sure) but they said I looked fine in the pics. Well at 5 months I turned a corner. And now at 6 months, I only occasionally feel "funny" there. I can do everything and have been doing Ab strengthening machines in the gym. I started at no wieght at all (I pulled the pin OUT) and now up to 30-35 and doing crunches. my muscles in my ab are like a friggin ROCK. It is amazing! I had two 8lb 9oz babies. I have a better tummy now than when I was in my 20s!!! .

So I would say plication is an ordeal, but I can now say it was worth it for me. Just say to yourself, IT WILL TAKE 6 MONTHS. I was impatient, but now I am glad I did it. Which is what I thought would happen!!! That's why I decided to go for it. 

Yes, Minn, as Dr. D says, Hope this helps!!! 

• sandy2009
    sandy2009 Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2010

Thanks Spring!  I had the plication in Phase 2, I'm into 4 weeks and I think I may have a little infection in my belly button - I sent pics to Jeanine but I hear she may be on vacation this week??

Anyways 6 months? wow, well my Phase 2 was 5 hrs. long with Dr. D.   I had a failed DIEP in Ohio (resulting in a ped. tram), Dr. D. did the plication and I'm in my body binder everyday - I need it for the support, I take it off at night. 

Sounds encouraging, can't wait for the flat tummy.  I have swelling issues, but I know it'll take time, thanks for the details.

Lynn - I stayed at the Bienville for my consult. and loved it!  Very quiet, clean and beautiful, also next to the best candy making shop - best pralines!  I stayed at the Clarion for the Phase 2 and found it very basic, but convenient to the hospital (walking distance).  When I first got to the Clarion we got a balcony, but soon changed to the next floor up (better).  Third floor w/balconies are smoking rooms and didn't smell the best.

Sandy2009

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Hi BC Sisters

http://www.peanutpetshelter.org/ShelterChallenge.html

a favor please-- will you go to this site, type in Peanut Pet Shelter and vote.   This shelter was started by a group of gringos who relocated to Playa del Carmen Mexico.   We've been there several times and these folks are really great.   Lenny the Wonder Dog thanks you :)   He's a shelter adoptee -- way cool pooch..

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

Welcome Oddball. As everyone has said you can't go wrong with NOLA . I had problems and had to go back for a second surgery. Drs paid for my flight and my aunts flight. They are the most caring,profession and compassionate people I have ever met.

My sisters test came back that there is possible cancer around her hip. Not sure if it is in the bone or what. She is going back to Memorial Sloan Kettering for further tests. It sucks because she had just got her hair back and was looking better.Keep her in your prayers.

KC so glad the wedding went well, I am sure your daugher was a lovely bride

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

Oh Sally, I'm so sorry about your sister...

Re:plication - tho the procedure didn't make me feel any tighter, I agree with Spring that it still wasn't easy. The hard part for me was the same thing - it added onto my general recovery time, which really did get to me. So many months. And for me - during our long, dismal winter. I did deal with depression. But I knew that, at some point, I'd be very glad I did it - and I am!

Glad my pics on TimTam were helpful to some of you!

Okay, since folks are getting partisan about their docs, and eventho I tried to be good and remain impartial, I just have to add a quote of Dr. D's, which I'm sure I've already posted several times on this thread, but I love it so much and it says it all about the docs, the Center, the hospital, and specifically Dr. D! This was in response to an award they got: "Thank you all, we are humbled to be recognized and will keep on fighting as hard as we can for all of you as well as our own mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives. Women are God's truest expression of art on earth and deserve no less than above and beyond." 

• sandy2009
    sandy2009 Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2010

Wow!  What a great response to the award!  He was my Dr. and so happy to have had him!  Thank you for posting it (again) - it's good to see this, this is why we love this Dr.!

Sorry you dealt with some depression during the winter Eve, I feel like I'm having it now.   My belly button is red and around it is red, I think I've got an infection.   I sent pics to Jeanine yesterday, I'll call today.   I wish the center was closer, but I'm sure it'll be ok.

SallyM ~ sorry about your sister, not fun. Good thoughts & prayers her way.

• trainertam
    edited July 2010

I just love that man!!!!!

Okay here is my attempt again at getting the pictures of our scrapbook pages to you! Hope this link works:

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2247433012/a=98466837_98466837/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

• KristyAnn
    KristyAnn Member Posts: 131
    edited June 2010

Hi Everyone,

I just faxed in my initial paperwork to NOLA and have been reading this thread- several people mention the dom outfit and the what appears to be normal recuperation stuff- is there a website or place where this is all outlined and I could look at the overall timeline of dealing with DIEP- I am just starting this process.

Thanks,

Kristy

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

Tammy, I LOVE the scrapbook. Very cleaver Eve. I liked Sandyin Paradise's too Clever Ideas. I think everyones different ideas made it more exceptional.We are so lucky to have such caring people caring for us

Welcome Kristy, When the Center calls you about a day or 2 after they recieve your paperwork they will explain the process and what happens at each stage. They told me you dont need the dom outfit until Stage 2.

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2010

Tammy - Thank you so much for putting the scrapbook together - it is awesome!! (And looking at everyones pages makes me feel very uncreative!) Good work ladies!!

• DFW
    DFW Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2010

The caption Nola in September caught my attention. Occasionly I still come to the reconstruction thread. I also had my recon in Nola and Dr D was my surgeon.  Mine was in 2007 and I was exceptionally pleased not only with the results but also the way I was treated. Very professional but warm and welcoming also. Recommend them highly!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2010

Tammy, the scrapbook is awesome!  I hate I had to email it....but so glad I got to be part of it.  Maybe I can do another page when I do get to go back for Stage 2....   As for choosing a dr?  I would have to put their names in a hat and draw one, cause I know Dr. D is fantastic, and can see that Dr. S is also from what I see here..The place and the people are all awesome! 

• Nordy
    edited June 2010
    Tammy Nice work on the scrapbook! I can't wait to get down there and be able to read everyone's pages!!! They all look so fabulous!
  • Nordy
    edited June 2010

Laughlines - I will be thinking about you next week, but may not get a chance to post. You are in my thoughts and prayers... wishing you a safe journey and a feeling of peace and comfort leaving your little one. She will be okay and you will be restored. It will all be well... Give those nurses and Dr. S hugs for me. Oh, and you tell my favorite pre-op nurse (ms. Deidre) that I said hello and give her a squeeze!!!

• Nordy
    edited June 2010

Oh, gosh - Shay T, you will also be so fabulous!

(does anyone feel I should be able to get to all this in ONE post???)

• trainertam
    edited June 2010

So glad the link worked!!! Remember, any of you that didn't have a page ready,if you are  going down there in the next few months bring your pages to be addd, there is half the book left, just waitng for you to slide your 12 X 12 paper in!!

Question for stage 2; How long did you wear the full Dom outfit? I was told by nurse 2 weeks after drains came out. However, everywhere else I read it recommends 4 weeks. Your thoughts?

Spring, you had knees done, how long did you wear it?

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2010

Good job everyone who participated in the scrapebook. I'm sure the docs love it! The pages are great!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

Tammy, thank you again for putting the scrapbook together for us.  Katie had asked me to do a page about 2 years ago, and I kept putting it off, not wanting to do my page until I was finished with my revisions.  I may trade out my "after" photos later on, but still they show a dramatic improvement over what I went to NOLA with.   Everyone's pages are great.  I got to see them at Tammy's house the day before she left for NOLA, and I walked away amazed at how varied our interests are, yet we've come to have so much in common as well.

DFW, glad you stopped by and that you are still happy, years later!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Thank you Nordy - I keep thinking of you and how great you're doing now when I start to freak out. You have been such a help to me.

ShayT and I will be surgery buddies - we're both scheduled at 7 am at St. Charles on Tuesday! I hope the docs don't accidentally switch our new breasts in the operating room!

My little girl is leaving tomorrow with my husband to go to family, so I have been pretty emotional today. 

One thing is for sure - I will definitely be posting my pics on Tim Tams's site after this to help out other women like you have all helped me.

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

Geez! Laughlines and Shay - next week already! Laughlines, I can imagine how emotional this time must be, saying good bye to your little girl tomorrow, along with everything else! But you will be fine! And soon you'll all be back home together, and you in a sexy black outfit with 2 more girls (and probably none too little!). LOL on switching breasts between you and ShayT!

Tammy - It was great to see the album! Thanks and thanks and thanks for all of it! I'm also really looking forward to seeing it "in person" next month and reading every single word, and looking beneath all the little peek-a-boo windows and garage doors!

Hi DFL - maybe we crossed paths back in '07!

Welcome Kristy!

Nordy - I posted 3-in-a-row a page back. Glad to see you did it too! 

• KCmama
    KCmama Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010

trainertam  - Dom - I wore mine for 3 weeks.  I found that my tummy still needed the extra support and I kind of weaned myself off.  I had an abdominal repair, which would need more support, but I found that once I could wear it for shorter periods of time, I was less irritated about it.  That 24/7 gets to be annoying.

• Pines
    Pines Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2010

Nordy and Minnesota - Thanks for the warm wishes for next week.  I'm getting excited, but so much to do before leaving!  I just back from a camping trip with my kids because I knew it would be a while before I would feel up to camping and wanted to make sure to get at least one trip in this summer.  So, now I need to get in gear and get ready.

Oddball, I have a consult on the 14th also, maybe we'll see each other.  I didn't have a chance for an earlier consult, so have surgery the next day (whatever they decide).

Laughlines, I plan to post on timtam too - I've spent so much time admiring others' results.  I go back and forth looking at Nordy and Jamieh's posts when I need uplifted.  Maybe we can post twin breasts before leaving NOLA.  LOL.

Lynn, I will be staying at the Bienville house this next week for Stage I.  I'll let you know what I think. 

• Pines
    Pines Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2010

Does anyone have any last minute advice for my trip to NOLA, what to bring, and especially something to help with constipation after pain meds?  I swore I was going to go back and read through all of the posts for the advice that has been given, but never got to it and am out of time. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!