Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited June 2010

Thanks Sandy.  I am going to bend someone's ear at the center this week and am scheduled to see my local breast surgeon in a couple weeks for routine visit so will address all my 6 mos out issues at that time and maybe have a plan that hopefully involves no big surgeries.  Just hoping no one tells me I need to back off the workouts.  In my classes we do a LOT of core work and toning as well as getting HR up. Have always loved it and had great results.  I just don't EVER remember being this sore!  The swelling seems like it's near where one of the abd drains was-ahem....6 mos ago!  and yes, seems like it does come and go.  Not really noticeable to anyone but me or when I point it out.  Guess it could be scarring, adhesion, or just fluid....bizarre soreness, but  I have never had major surgery prior to this.  Will see my physical therapist/LE girl too if needed.  I just keep telling myself what Dr. D said at my post stage 2 visit and what I fully expect to hear from them when I call.  "GIVE IT A YEAR". 

I was ready to say YES, I want to do the half marathon w/ Nordy in Oct, esp since it is walker friendly-If I do it I'll probably be doing the Galloway or the walk and jog version........It only seems right.....Like a great way to end this past year.  Have always wanted to do a half, no desire to do the entire 26 miler.  The training would be an excellent way to get into shape for ski season-which I've missed the past 2 years.  AND I think it would be great to say 'Yes, I did it!'  PBM, DIEP, recovered and one year later I finished a half marathon (in less than 3 hours?)'........Ironically, I was training for a half when diagnosed w/ IDC  in 2008 so those plans sort of were put on hold.  We'll see.......will be less superstitious after someone says 'no, definitely not a hernia'.  I have every bit of faith that the best surgical technique was used and that if it were worst case scenario it could be fixed but sheesh!  Ready to move FORWARD! 

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get the pre surgery packet. I have requested it twice and still have not received it...Who is in charge of the packets.. I will have to contact them directly.

Thanks, Lynn

• KristyAnn
    KristyAnn Member Posts: 131
    edited June 2010

I swent my info online on Wednesday, got a call from Liz on Friday and received the packet at home that weekend- I am only in Texas so mail was probably fairly fast to me.

Kristy

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Lynn, call and ask for it again. Katie may be able to help. Tell her you asked for it twice and really want it. Hopefully she can get you one! Mabye there is some order, who knows. 

Trisha you looks sooooooooo good dahling, but you know that!

PJ - Dr. D told me it could be a year to 18 months, more like 18 monhts, for the abs to be "normal" again. I too get a swell feeling when I do the ab crunches.

Shay T is today!

Laughlines tomorrow! 

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2010

I wish both Shay and Laughlines painless, beautiful surgeries!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

Spring: Did you finaly get in to the scrapbook pages? when I tested it (on another computer) it led me straight there, but it may require a sign up for some. Sorry if it was confusing!

• sandy2009
    sandy2009 Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2010

ShayT

Not only Colace but Dulculex too!   I thought only colace, but I needed Dulculex as well.   Jeanine mentioned this to me in my post op appt., but it didn't sink in till a few days after I was home.

I also drank prune juice.   I think Sandy's advice re: taking colace with a lot of water is a good idea.

Good luck to you, you'll do great.

Sandy

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2010

So, I making reservations for my NOLA stay. I am staying at the Monteleone pre op. Post op I made reservations at the Iberville suites, but then got a response to an e-mail I sent for The Bienville House. They have a room with a balcony available for the time of my stay. Both places would be the same cost. Any experience with either of these places?

Also, thinking about what to bring clothing wise. After stage 1 is it just a bra for undergarments (and the drains of course) or is it the Dom outfit too? Or is the Dom outfit after stage 2 only?

Lastly, Are the breast drains pulled before you leave the hospital or do you have breast and ab drains until post op check up? I know it will be HOT in Aug and trying to figure out just how much I need to hide :)

• KristyAnn
    edited June 2010

What is the DOM outfit yall are talking about?

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2010

ladybug50-depending on the type of surgery, but you will most likely come home with drains. For clothing, KISS (keep it simple sister). I brought way too much. I would find pants, shorts, or yoga pants with an elastic waist. No need to bring a bra. The center provides their lovely version. :)

KristyAnn-the dom outfit is the binder outfit you have to wear. It is uncomfortable, but servers it's purpose. Has a hole for the ol bodily functions to exit. :) You'll have it until after your drains are removed.

• ladybug50
    edited June 2010

Mileha, Dom out fit for stage 1 and 2? Trying to fingure out what kind of shorts/skirts to bring....

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Shay - Maybe you're already on the other side!!!! Yeah!!!! Post while you're drugged, it'll give us all a good laugh!

Laughlines - Wow! Tomorrow you'll have new girls! You will love them!!!!

Ladybug, I haven't stayed at Iberville, so don't know about that. For Bienville House, maybe ask what the balcony overlooks - courtyard vs. street would make a difference in noise level. Also, you can always check out your post-op place pre-op. Then if you want to switch, you may still have enough time to cancel one and book another for post-op.

Shay - I also swear by yogurt. I had some every day at the hospital. I had no problems - had success twice before discharge - so problems are not inevitable.

Sheridan - Don't get too patient - if something is taking too long, don't hesitate to call!

Trishia - OMG! You are hot!

KristyAnn - That's how I felt after I posted to TimTam - thought I was going to faint!

Holtbutt/That Little Sneak! - Any nipple jokes?! Do they look like those Yucca's?

Dejaboo - Welcome back!

SandyinParadise - Hi Nip Girl!

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

Ladybug - Loose shorts/skirts! Draw-string would be good. Light-weight.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

Minnesota .... LOL  My nipples did look like Yuccas but they are getting smaller.  OMG... I am so not into big nipples... shrink dammit shrink!  So, how long do you wear these nipple guards.. 4 weeks total?  I lost my instructions.  AND... a lipo question... can you all chime in here on when you felt the swelling was GONE... how many weeks after Stage 2?  I am 4 weeks out this Friday and I have major swelling still around my waist and lower back..... is this normal?  When can you really tell the effects of lipo because I can't tell what I've got here after nearly 4 weeks...

Kristy ... savor these last days when you DON'T know what the DOM is.. LOL

Shay, LaughLines..... good vibes.. check in when you can!!! Laughing

• ladybug50
    edited June 2010

Holtbolt,

WOW, Can't believe it has been 4 weeks already!! I don't know if you remember, but I am in Indianapolis (NE side) and have been going to Clarian North for most of my testing...Having PBM in aug at NOLA

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010
    LadyBug!  Yes.... my Indy sister!  So glad you have a date for Stage 1.... I was reading your stuff.. my dad also died of Prostate Cancer at age 55 Frown.  Let me know if you want to get together over coffee or cocktails and I will share my war stories.. lol. I also had my ovaries removed last Fall Undecided . I'm in Carmel and I'm not doing much except sitting around watching my nipples shrink... LOL  Tongue out 
  • Pines
    Pines Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2010

Hello, I actually just had my consult today.  I had posted the wrong surgery date (ahead of myself).  My surgery is tomorrow at 11:00 am (same day as Laughlines).  I got all marked up today for a HipGap.  Thanks for the Dulculex advice.  Any idea where I can find some locally? 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010
    Tammy, I still can't get to that Snapfish URL, and I keep trying. Tonight I sent the URL to my husband and daughter to see if they can access from their computers. This is the one I am trying - is this right? http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2247433012/a=98466837_98466837/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Ladybug, I got breast drains out on the post surgical appt, and came home with the other drains. As for hotels, I haven't stayed at either, but you want space, so a suite would be ideal. And if they include food, like breakfast, that would be good....

Laughlines, I could not believe you were posting the eve of your stage 1 surgery!! LOL!!!  Good luck tomorrow!!!  Check back in when you can...

HoltBolt - they will shrink a LOT, don't worry! it seems they nearly melt away! You'll see!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2010

ladybug, not sure what the exact criteria is,but I had DIEP and no dom after stage 1.  I am a "larger" woman, so maybe they don't have them in larger sizes?  I just had adominal band....

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2010

Trishia - Your abdomen looks great, as well as your breasts!  Did you lost weight between Stage 2 and Stage 3? or did you have more lipo at Stage 3?  I think I mainly need to just lose some more weight.  My tummy is not as small as I would like.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2010

After my DIEP, I used a binder.  Dom was given to me for STage 2. I had Dr Sullivan

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2010

LOVE this pin y'all...

http://www.thegardengates.com/Rebirth-Fleur-de-Lis-Pin-by-India-Stewart-p/is-10324.htm

potionof the proceeds to benefit Pelican rehabilitation in the wake of the spill~

FYI to allt he NOLA fans!

Marcia

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

Holtbolt, you need to give yourself up to 12 months for all of the swelling from lipo to resolve.   It's a long slow process, but the great thing about it is that the effect just gets better and better over time.

Shay and Laughlines, best wishes to you for tomorrow!  Drink lots of water tonight to keep from being too dehydrated, and we'll all be waiting to hear from you both!

Minn, be very careful.  Soon, you will be  Nip Girl too!

Marcia, thanks for the link.  Off to check it out, then take care of some business that Minn is waiting on.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

I see that they have a necklace too, Marcia.  Do you know what portion of the proceeds is being donated?  I didn't find any info about that.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2010

Sandy,

not sure of the % but my friend Ellens' hubby in NOLA posted on his FB page...its on mine now as well,

Hugs,M

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2010

Shay & Laughline~ Good Luck tomorrow!! 

So I am back and I need opinions on what to do.  So I finally had to visit my local PS for help with the non-healing nipple (which is on it's way to healing) but I am now left with a barely there and "WOW, that is one heck of a nipple".  I am about 7-8 weeks out and my local PS said that we can either inject into the right nipple to get some projection or amputate some of the left one.  I want to make sure that the left one is done shrinking but when can I tell for sure ??  I want someplace in the middle of the 2.  Barely there is ugly so far and my "wow" one is too much.....I guess there is just no making me happy....lol.....  I was really hoping to get my tatoos by the end of summer but it looks like I will be fall/winter for them now.  I would really like my right one corrected but I am not sure how far I would be willing to go for a nipple....

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

Jaimie - IMO, I don't think you should let anyone else mess with the work of the Artists!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2010

I hear you Minn. but I have had some follow up issues that needed to be handled :(  My local PS removed the scab that would have taken months to come off and I am now healing again.  I will post some pictures of the difference on Timtam's site later I just would really like for them to be a little closer of a match.  I currently have one headlight on and on off...loll...  but I do feel better because the nipple is no longer lifting and hanging off. 

I might just have to catch Dr. S when he comes up for a family visit....lol...  I found out during stage one that his wife grew up in the same area that I live in.  He comes up a couple times a year to visit family. 

• KristyAnn
    edited June 2010

Well I am totally discouraged now- the insurance rep from NOLA called and just the out of pocket fees for the surgeons fees for Stage 1 are going to be 22,000.00 (just Dr D and Dr S)

I have insurance but they are out of network and non-participating(in terms of contract pricing). They said they could do the surgery at an in network hospital (not the St Charles facility) and get an in network anesthesiologist and regular surgeon for the prophylactic mastectomy so those would hit my regular in network benefits (with an out of pocket limit of 1200.00 for the year.

I cant imagine any way to pull that off so Im wondering what other places are reputable for DIEP that might be in network or at least participating with my insurance.

Kristy

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited October 2010

KristyAnn-maybe I can help, they do diep at several local area hospital hosBpitals.  I had Dr. S. at St. Tammany Parish Hosp (in-network hospital) with my local in network BS for mastectomy,  St Charles was out of network, my ins would not pay for my stay there- still very happy with my results and care.  It can work.   PM me if you want or have any questions.