Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2010

Oh...and while i am whining, I just got dx with lymphedema on Thursday.  Had a major pity party for myself over the weekend.  Feeling better now.  Meet with the therapist on July 2nd and we'll go from there. 

Yes, that tattoos are billed through the Center.  It is the one thing that my insurance paid well and promptly!!!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Hello everyone,

I just got home to Seattle and finally have internet access again! 

Trishia - that stinks about the lymphadema. You have certainly had enough to overcome already.

Springtime - hooray for your thread! I can't tell you how many times this past week I have marveled at the thought of this thread, the amazing women on here, and what a gift it has been to me.

I'm doing better than I expected at this point just like Shay commented. Here's the rundown of how things have been for me for those of you with surgery coming up.

Surgery Day - I arrived at 6:00 am for surgery and those amazing nurses took good care of me. Deirdre?!?! She had me laughing so much I didn't have any time to be nervous. Dr. S checked in, and the next thing I knew I was waking up. I sat up and said "Hooray! I made it!" Then there was some discussion about my boobs - apparently I immediately accused them of making the left one bigger than the right, but I was wrong ; )

Amy - I  did get a prescription for Emend once I was down there and took it before surgery. I also had the patch and Zofran through IV, but alas, I still had some nausea and vomited once the first day. The first day was rough for me because of that, and because I have low blood pressure so was very woozy and couldn't really keep my eyes open much the first day or so. Once my blood pressure recovered by the second day I started feeling better. I started taking walks around on Day 2 like Shay and took a shower on Day 3. By the time of discharge I was feeling pretty darn good!

I have had very little pain so far. The worst pain I had was the first few days in my ribcage area, I think from the spot where the cut the cartilage for the blood vessel connection. That pain got better very quickly. Now it's just a bit achey.

I remembered Minn's and Jaimie's advice and kept my pain balls (I had one on each hip!) after I left the hospital and I continued to have very little pain in my donor site. I took the pain balls out myself the day before my post-op, and I still haven't had any increased pain after removing them. I feel tight back there, and the drain sites are starting to bother me, but I can't say I have much pain at all at the moment.

I turned out to be one of those who felt good enought to do some walking/touring around the city a bit after I got out of the hospital, and my looong flight home today was no problem at all.

Okay - on to the important part. Have I mentioned that I love my breasts?! I feel so happy to have breasts again. I love the way Dr. S made them - they feel just right to me. They're not big, and I have big football flaps, but I love them!!!! They are beautiful! And my butt looks better than I thought it would at this point.

My hubby has been pretty nervous/skeptical about this whole NOLA plan. He had a long list of  his own questions to ask Dr. S before my surgery. Yes, he's relieved the surgery is over and I'm okay, but let me tell you, he is also pretty blown away by the results. When he was helping me get in and out the dom for the first time he just kept looking at my new breasts and saying, "Huh. That is amazing!" Then later when we went outside to walk around the French Quarter I said, "Where should we go?" And he replied, "We should go buy you a little black dress to show off your new boobs!"

Okay last thing - I just have to say thank you again to all of you who have posted your experiences, encouraged me to go to NOLA, and answered my questions on this thread. Without this thread I would never have ended up with this reconstruction or probably any reconstruction, and I feel incredibly lucky to have been helped along by all of you.

Now I'm off to pick up my husband and daughter from the airport. I cannot wait to see my little one again!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

Laughlines - so glad to hear you're happy and doing so well.... your husband sounds like a really good guy.  :)  Welcome home!

Trishia - sorry to hear about the lymphedema... :(

Sandy - thx for the input on the swelling....

Anybody have a seroma that you didn't get drained that eventually went away on its own?

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited June 2010

Hi Ladies

Too busy at work to keep up with the site.

Spring .....Thank You, Thank You, Thank You ! This site has been a wonderful source of information, support and comradery for all of us. Thank you for starting the forum and so deligently recording all of our surgery dates. I know that personally it meant so much to me to read all of the thoughtful and encouraging messages. It really made me feel that I was not alone in this. And a special thank you to all of the women that have shared their experiences. And here's to the next 200 pages.

Shay and Laughlines its sounds like you are both doing well. Welcome to the other side.

Trisha I am so sorry to hear that you have developed lymphedema but you are a tough gal and you will make it through this.

Jennifer  what's up girl???

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

Thanks for the feedback on the swelling. I have another question about LUMPS. I have a few walnut size lumps on my abs. Did anyone else have that, if so did they go away, after how long? I'm not sure if I need to see a local PS and ask or if this is something normal that will go away soon.thanks!!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2010

Laughlines,

I am so so happy for you! I can remember not so long ago when I suggested that Nordy hook up with you ! Seems like yesterday...

Contunue to feel good and heal well...it only gets BETTER!

It makes my heart happy to hear the smiles in your voice,Cool

Marcia

• KCmama
    KCmama Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010

Trishia,  Bummer about the lymphedema!  I, too, developed it and noticed it within just a couple weeks of Stage 1.  There is a lot to learn about it, and you'll have a few pity parties, but the lymphedema forum is excellent, and those there are very patient to describe and help. It takes awhile to feel empowered through it, but there are ways to get relief and to manage it.  

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

Hi Tammy, are they just under the incision?  I had a couple of lumps caused by sutures, and Dr. D said they would go away eventually.  I asked him to remove them during a revision and he did.

Laughlines, thanks for sharing--it's so great to hear that you are doing well and that you and DH are happy with your new breasts!

Trishia, my sister is a nurse and yesterday she told me about a newer treatment for lymphedema.  It's done with a cosmetic laser, and it's called Synergie.   I have a brochure and the price is $1400 for 16 treatments lasting 30 minutes each at a center here in So Cal.  It also increases metabolism to the treated area through increased local blood circulation.  Might be worth checking into.  I sure hope you can make it to NOLA!

Stephanie, I have missed you.  Please call me so we can go for a walk in your neighborhood, to see if I can keep up with you!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2010

Laughlines~ I am so happy to hear that you are doing so well :)

So I haven't posted pictures in a while but I plan on doing it tonight.  My right nipple is still healing....I just want to be able to go swimming with my kids and this darn thing will not heal so I can go swimming :(  It is looking much better but still lacking on the projection.

Speaking of projection my DH only wanted me to get 3-d tat's and I insisted that I wanted nipples WELL I catch my DH looking at them all the time when I do not have a bra on.  It has been cracking me up....oh that and I also make bad jokes about my nipples....lol..... 

• trainertam
    edited June 2010

SANDY: the main lump is in the middle of my abs, just below my ribs(where my right hand goes if I were to motion and say "boy am I full"!. I think it is really noticable, but I just don't know if it''s too soon to worry. I have read that lumps should be dealt with early or they became very noticable later on.

I think it's intersting I only noticed it when I had the tight garment off last night for an hour.I'm back in the garment and of course can't feel anything now!! Oh, wait, I feel "itchy" but then when I go to scratch I feel numbSurprised How do you scratch an itch that is in a numb area!!???

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

Hello: I had an SGAP at NOLA 4 weeks ago.  I am super happy with my breasts, and haven't needed anything stronger than Aleve for pain since I've been home (I live in the Seattle, WA area).  I had such a great experience at The Breast Center that I can't imagine going anywhere else to have this procedure done (simultaneous bilateral mastectomy with SGAP), and since I'm a nurse, I had high expectations.  They all (docs, nurses, hospital, food, etc.) totally exceeded our expectations!  I am absolutely thrilled with the results.

My main complaints now are (and I'm hoping you all can let me know whether or not this is normal):

1.  Fatigue.  I thought I wouldn't still be needing naps this far out, and that I'd be back at work, but I am still so tired.  I've been out quite a bit (walks with the dogs, errands, etc.), and I have 4 kids home (and a lot of their friends!) for the summer, so life has continued on, but I am still so wiped out.  I sleep probably 10-12 hours per day (9-10 at night and a 1-2 hour nap each day).  Is this normal?

2. Hip drains: They are still really putting out.  I average about 40-50cc per day still.  Last night, my left hip put out 110cc overnight!  Is that normal?  They told me, when I left, that the drains would be in 3-4 weeks.  I am dying to get them out, so called them yesterday, and the nurse said the output would have to be down to 20cc for 2 days running, before they come out, which could be another couple of weeks.  ugh!  The insertion sites are so tender, and I hate wearing this stupid girdle (at least it's not hot in Seattle - small blessing).  

3.  I am going back for Stage 2 in mid-Sept.  What's the main difference, post-op, between Stage 1 and 2?  The first surgery was 9 hours long, so I was pretty loopy from the general anesthesia for the first 3 days, and much better by day 4.  I know the 2nd Stage is much shorter, so I'm hoping I'll feel better more quickly.  I didn't take narcotics after the 1st post op day, because of the dizziness and nausea, so I'm hoping I'll be able to deal with any pain with the 2nd Stage, the same way (Tylenol).  

4.  I had a nipple-sparing mastectomy, since it looked like the CA was far back enough into my breast and away from my nipple that'd it be ok, at least to try.  The mastectomy surgeon (Dr. Legarde) didn't get a good margin though, so I have to have the R nipple removed during the 2nd stage.  What can I expect from that?  Any feeling at all?  

5.  Tatooing:  I really don't want to go back to NOLA for just tatoo'ing.  New Orelans is a 2-plane trip away from Seattle, so it's not super convenient to get to from here.  Has anybody had this done in their home town?  Or, should I just bite the bullet and go back to NOLA for that?  My breasts do look so great that I am fearful of having anybody else work on them, but tatoo'ing seems like a thing that, if you find a good, competent artist, could be done by somebody locally.  

6.  I see some of you talking about a place where you can post your before and after pictures.  I'd be glad to post some pictures of me, because I really love the look of my new 'gals', and if it'd help another woman in her decision-making, I'd be glad to do that.  I don't know where it is, though.  Can somebody send a link?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but thanks in advice for any/all advice!

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Mchas, I have not had my hip gap surgery yet but have undergone BIMX and then TE and implant reconstruction. You really must take it easy. I found that the more I did, the longer I kept my drains. Once I stopped the physical exertion, it allowed the wounds that are created under the skin from the surgery to heal and the drainage slowed substantially. It will take you a while to feel like yourself again. This is a big surgery and you cannot force your body to heal, you just have to be kind to yourself !!!

To those of you who kept your drains for a while. Does the Dr have you continue to take antibiotics while the drains are in???

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

Welcome Mchas.

It is normal to still need sleep & be fatigued at 4 weeks...I think it can take 6-10 easily to get back to normal energy...Everyone is different.

I was told DIPE drains usually stay in for 3 weeks & SGAP drains usually are in for 5-6 weeks.

I had my last drain from SGAP for 9 weeks & 1 day!  My drain output went Up & down all the time.  From 50-175cc.

I think that too varies with each person...Though it is more normal to stay steady or drop.  My drain went up even when I sat on the couch all day.

Sheridangirl- I think the Antibiotics for the drain length may vary on the Dr-  I am not sure.

I did not stay on Antibiotics for 9 weeks.

Trisha- Im sorry to hear you have Lyphedema to deal with now.

Jen good luck tomorrow!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

Jen - you are up!! Good luck!! Smile

Welcome Mchas...boy that was a long post.. :)  Ask away! I am just shy of 5 weeks out of Stage 2 (delayed bilateral SGAP)..... After Stage 1, I had one hip drain in for 4 weeks, the other one for 6.  No problems.  Then Stage 2... I pulled both drains on day 10 because they met the criteria... but unfortunately I think I have developed a seroma.  Should I have kept them in until they completely dried up?... who knows.... I guess... but like you I couldn't wait to get them out and they were less than 20cc for like 4 days.  Tolerate them as long as you can.... I know.. it sucks.  The main difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2?  Swelling and soreness from lipo seems to me to be lasting a long time.... on a good note... not near the anxiety with Stage 2... not anywhere close (for me anyway).... and they put an Icee machine in at the hospital between Stage 1 and Stage 2... so for me.. that was huge.. LOL  To access the picture forum, search for member TIMTAM, PM her and ask her to grant you permission to access the site.

Sheridan.... I was not on antiobiotics the entire time the drains were in... I finished up what I came home with and that was it... but if you develop a problem, they'll put you back on 'em pretty quickly.

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

Thanks for the replies so far.  I really appreciate it!  It really helps to know what's 'normal', ie the drains may be needing to stay in a little longer (9 weeks?  wow!), or it taking awhile for your energy to return.  I am not as patient as I thought I'd be with that part!  ha!  I was thinking it'd be more painful (which it hasn't been) and I'd be bouncing around much sooner (which I'm not)!  Lots of lessons learned throughout this whole process! 

The drain output bouncing around has also been weirding me out, so I am SO glad to know that can happen. 

I've been on antibiotics the whole time (Keflex) which has been easy and no problemo, at all.  I take probiotics at the same time, to make sure my gut doesn't get too whacked out.

Thanks again, so very much!

Melissa

• trainertam
    edited June 2010

I had my stage 1 drains in for 9 weeks and I was on the antibiotics the whole time!UGH! My drains from Stage 2 came out after a week, thank goodness.

Any thoughts on my lumps? I am switching to spanx this weekend (it'll be over 4 weeks in the black dom from my ribs to my ankles)hopefully, things will smooth out. I feel like I can't really work out or even power walk in that "sausage casing"!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Trishia - so sorry about the lymphadema  : (

Tammy - I have a few lumpy areas, too. I don't think you need to be worried, at this point. Who knows what all is going on inside us after all that work? Is it in a place where it could be scar tissue? That's what I'm thinking my stuff is.

Mchas -  So glad to hear about your great experience at NOLA. Seems like most of your questions have been answered. I've had two of these stage 1s now. In each case, it took me a long time to feel like I got some energy back. Tonite I actually went out and ran for the first time since my surgery 10 weeks ago. I've been jealous hearing about how all these ladies are exercising and stuff, and have had to keep reminding myself that this is stage 1 I'm dealing with, and that's major! Being under anesthesia for so long is part of the fatigue - the effects can last a really long time. Also, of course all of the energy your body is using to heal. If you push yourself too much, you'll pay for it with an even longer recovery time, so listen to your body and be kind to yourself. I know it's really hard to be patient, but eventually you will get your energy back!

Sheridan Girl - I was on antibiotics the whole time I had the drains - maybe this varies depending on your doc. I had Dr. D.

Laughlines - I loved reading your post and am sooooo glad that you're happy and feeling so good after what sounds like a rough first couple of days. I think our breasts are absolute miracles, aren't they?! Amazing and magical! And glad your husband is so happy, too! I feel like I should be writing more - I just can't put into words how much your post made me smile - inside and out. That sounds kind of dumb - but is accurate!

Jen - I'll be thinking of you tonite and tomorrow and sending healing vibes! It was great being surgery partners with you! Now this time, take it easy! Keep your pain ball! Don't use your breast as a coaster! Drink icees! Check out Dr. D's shoes!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Go Jen! And what's this about using breasts as coasters?

Mchas - I'm in the Seattle area too and will send you a PM about tattoos in our area. I just finished bilateral Hip Flap (similar to SGAP) one week ago and I know what you mean about the drains - I really wish I could have a firm date when I know I can get rid of them! It sounds like the other ladies are right about the Docs taking different routes with antibiotics. I have Dr. S. and was told to just take antibiotics for two weeks after surgery.

Still happy here - I tried on my lowest-cut blouse from the old days before bc yesterday and it looked better than ever before. I thought my scars would be too high for anything low-cut but I was wrong  : )

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2010

I'm sure this is a silly question, are these dates 2010 or is this an old post?

• Dejaboo
    edited June 2010

Mauicarol-Not a silly question.   This thread was started the summer of 09...But was extended beyond 2009 Sept surgeries...So all the dates in the 1st post are current.

So jump right in...I see you have a date in NOLA very soon!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2010

These are or where 2010 dates. The dates at the top change frequently :).

• Dejaboo
    edited June 2010

Yeah- Laughlines your post made me smile too & Teared me up too : )

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2010

So.... how do I get added to the list of dates :) ?  I have a BMX with immediate DIEP (& maybe GAP too) scheduled next week (Yikes!) June 30th with Dr. D. & Dr. T.  I sent pictures & received a call that I might not have enough belly fat (made me laugh out loud!) I have never been accused of having too little belly fat :) I am excited, but nervous too.  This surgery seems so huge!   It seems from the posts I've read that the GAP surgery has a longer recovery time than the DIEP. Maybe I should just have them use what I have on my belly & get smaller breasts ?

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2010

Hey 2tzus,

I was also trying to find sundresses without spaghetti straps. Meijer has some in Womens sizes but not Misses. I finally found one at a discount clothing store here and another at Target. Look at the Converse line and there are a few options. One has elastic straps over the shoulder which also can be adjusted if needed. The top part is a little puffy too, so would hid drains.

• Dejaboo
    edited June 2010

I found a Tiered Drop Waist Sundress with Tank top style top at Old Navy...but it was in March before my Stage 2...So they probably dont have it anymore.  Maybe they have others though.

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

And I teared up when Laughlines posted about wearing her pre-BC blouse...

Re: sundresses - I'm just not worrying about if the post-op bra straps show! There is so much for people to look at in NOLA, the last thing anyone is going to be looking at is our straps, or even the bra itself! We could walk down Bourbon in the dominatrix and bra and no one would think it unusual (well, at night, and not TOO unusual...). Besides, if they want to look, let them - give them a little thrill! The only thing we should worry about is being comfortable!

• Minnesota
    edited June 2010

Mauicarol - Springtime will add your dates to the top when she sees them in your post.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Mauicarol - I will add you to the list. I had the DIEP and GAP combo. The good thing is you get both sides of your body totally transformed! I also thought I had plenty of Ab fat, but apparently, it was " up too high"!! So they did a stacked DIEP / Lumbar. Stephanie had this too, as did LouAnn. So you are not alone! We all survived! 

BCDiva! I added you too! Phase 3!!! :) 

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Spring, when you had the hip surgery, did you have to wear a compression garment for undies??? For how long??

I am going to be at NOLA 07/29 to 08/05 and it will be roasting hot. so I am going for the sundresses. I found one at Ross Dress for Less and it was BRIGHT ORANGE. I didn't buy it because I am a bit chunky and I figured I would look like a big Orange limping down the street....But, I may go back and get it because it was cute and I am really too old to care what people think Cool

I checked out ShayT's photos on Timtams site. Her results are beautiful...Thank God I found this site and found the Breast Center.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Lynn,

I had to wear the dominatrix compresison thing after both phase 1 and 2. Generally, you have to keep it on for 2 weeks after the last drain comes out, or 2 weeks after lipo. I found it more comfortable to wear panties OVER the compression garment. However, I know I am not the only one who got to the pot and forgot to pull the panties down!!!! Oh well!!!