Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

Leah-

I am sorry to hear about your news.  Hang in there.  You are in my prayers.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Oh Leah - I am so sorry. I will be praying for you too.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2010

Leah, so sorry to hear about your news. Hope everything goes well with your treatment.

I just got my call from St Charles, getting things ready for next month at stage 2. I'm soo excited for this part, i'm not scared at all after my great experience last time!

I do have a few questions though- I haven't discussed what I want done or not done at stage 2 with anyone yet. I assume I will just tell them at my pre op and discuss it then. I am considering plication and of course as much lipo as possible. Do I need to be in contact with someone at NOLA beforehand to discuss what I am having done?

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2010

(((((LEAH)))))  Surrounding you in love and light!

Shay and laughlines~so glad to read you both!  

Melinda~Nope...no need to call before hand.  Dr. S will take out his blue marker of artistry and mark you up like a Picaso painting!  Just discuss with him what you want at your pre-op!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Melinda, stage 2 is funner! :)  I had this long list of things I wanted to discuss with Dr D, but I said I'll just refer to this after you're done. But as he was going through marking my body with the infamous blue marker, I would mention things. They are so excellent.  At the end I referred back to my list and nearly everything was accounted for, and the few things not I mentioned then. 

They make is to easy. The pre-op session is all you need. What Trisha said! He will let you know also if plication is a good option for you or not. It does make recover much longer - I don't know if you've seen me going on about that in here! LOL.  

How are Shay and Laugh today???

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2010

Leah, I am so sorry to hear your news and am adding my healing thoughts and prayers to all the rest.

Laughlines and Shay, great to hear you have both arrived safely on the other side:) Laughlines, when you feel up to it can you tell me more about your first post op day and what made it rough? Was it pain/nausea/both/something different?

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2010

((((LEAH))))  I'm sharing your disappointment about having to change gears at this point.  Darn it!  I am so sorry!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2010

Leah! I am so sorry to hear about this "bump" in the road. (((((hugs))))) and healing thoughts your way.

Shay and Laughlines! - Wooooooohoooooooo!!!!!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Leah - I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Shay & Laughlines - I love the thought of you two there together! So have you had any of those icees yet? Which flavor is best? Dr D or Dr S?!

Kristy - so glad you're on track for your surgery. Just wanted to comment that sometimes it has gone the other way - money needed up front in Charleston and not NOLA. It all depends on the insurance company. I know NOLA works hard to try to accomodate everyone. I would rather know, before consulting with the surgeon, whether my insurance will be adequate or not. Another factor in whether there are up front costs  is whether someone has met their out-of-pocket expenses for the year. Because I had already met them, I had no upfront costs for NOLA at all.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2010

((((((((Leah)))))))))Hang in there.  We are all surrounding you with prayers and loving thoughts.  Laughlines and Shay...welcome to the other side of stage 1!

Got 1st b12 shot yesterday, then one more taxol.  Will still have herceptin thru end of year, but that is ok.  Will prolly delay Stage 2 till after mid Oct cause my daugter is getting married Oct. 8, and as much as I would like to be "lipo'd" before the wedding, it will be too close to have be4 the wedding, and with my track record of "issues", don't wanna take the chance.  Once I decide on a possible "when" will call the Center to check cost since they are no longer in network <sigh> this year

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

Leah -Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Shay and Laughlines. Sounds like you are both doing well. So happy for you. I know I felt like Dolly Parton for weeks but they do go down.

Kristy I am so glad things are working out for you. I remember when I was first looking around and I was on different sites researching and I came across Dr Massa and I emailed her site for more ifo, I remember it was a Friday night, and within an hour Dr Massa had wrote back explaining that she would have someone call me on Monday (and they did) I was really impressed.

Nine weeks til Stage 2, I am sure it will go by fast (Summer always does anyways)

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Leah, I am so sorry that you have this setback.

Kristy, I hope you find another option that will work for you. I too am lucky that I have met all of my in network and out of network expenses for the year. I am planning to do stage 2 before next January and hopefully, I will not have too many more medical issues and expenses after that.

Shay and Laughlines, I am really watching to see how you are doing. I have hip gap surgery on 07/29. Did you get sick from the anesthia? Did your throat hurt?

Trisha, I am with you on the food issues. I always did the sugar free, no fat stuff. But, this past year made me really start paying attention to eating natural, organic food. Now I just need to get exercise incorporated into my daily routine...

I got my pre surgery packet yesterday..FINALLY....My husband is not going to be able to go with me . He needs to stay home and work. So my daughters are going to be my caregivers. We are staying at Hope Lodge and they may rent a car so they can get back and forth to the hospital. One daughter is a TEXT A HOLIC. So I am going to make my hospital room a "No Texting Zone". Other than that, I am getting more and more excited to have breasts again.

• Pines
    Pines Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2010

Thanks everyone for your great support.  I posted my initial pictures on the picture site.  Kind of scary to look at myself both before and after photos, but it was awesome to have others pictures when I was deciding what to do - so braved it up.  I was told that I was going to have a hip gap, but I think my scar looks a little more like an SGAP. 

Lynn, my recovery has been surprisingly easier than I expected.  I was up walking around St. Charles Surgical the next day.  I felt a little queezy from the anesthesia the morning after, but never very strong.  My throat was not sore at all.  I'm sure you will do great.

• Springtime
    edited June 2010

Happy Birthday to this thread!! 

It was June 17 2009 when I posted the above query looking for a NOLA Boobie Pal - and here we are a year later!

Thanks to Marcia for sending me a PM reminding me it's been a year!  

hbd 

• Trishia
    edited June 2010

Yay!!!!  I'm so glad you started it!  I

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

I have got a question that may sound kind of stupid or selfish but is eating the organic natural things expensive? And how do I get started? I am excited about Stage 2 and I really want to get and stay healthy and try to loose some of this weight. Thanks

Eve the storm did not wreck havoc on you did it. Hope not but you and your family are in my prayers.

• Springtime
    edited June 2010

Hi Sally,

There are some things it is more important to eat organic than others. I am having an issue pasting in URLs at the moment, but if you google "organic clean 15" and "organic dirty dozen" you will get listings of what is important or not get get organic. apples and berries are really important to do organic. I try to do everything organic that I can. It is more expensive, but right now I am working and I can afford it...

It takes time to change how you eat, just start to do it as you can, keep googling and learning, keep making modifications.  This is how I did it anyway! Anti-Cancer book is great to get started.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited June 2010

Thank you Springtime for starting this thread - you helped so many women! If you never did anything else good in your life (and I'm certain you have and will continue to), you've earned your angel wings with this one!

Sally - Thanks for your concern! Tho we had a tornado in the vicinity (sirens sent us to our basement) and we lost power, we were lucky to have been spared any significant damage where I live. Actually, tho, another Minnesota gal who went to NOLA has lots of famly members in the town that was hit the worst. Her mother-in-law was stuck in an elevator during the storm. Luckily her family didn't have mucn damage to their homes, tho there was a lot of debris to clean up.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

Leah, I am sorry to hear this News.  I wish you the very best with your treatment.

Jen is coming up this week!

How are ShayT & Laughlines doing?

Happy Summer : )

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2010

Hi all,

Jen here.  I leave tomorrow for NOLA, with surgery on Thursday.  Haven't written much lately, as I always feel like I have little to say that's not being said already...I should get over that, I know.

Shay and Laughlines-I'm so happy to read that things are going well for you.  It just keeps getting better! (Okay, actually you'll have a day here and there when it seems worse, and we should know that.  But, the general trend is upward! Smile)

Leah-I was sad to read your news.  I don't know you, but you've been in my thoughts and prayers.

Minn-Sorry you won't be my surgery partner this time...I'll miss seeing you and Gary.

Here's to an improved figure, good painkillers and MUCH smaller girls soon!

Love to all. 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited June 2010

SPRING!  We did it!  woo hoo one year later!

Leah, hugs! and I will ditto Spring, first things first!

Jen from Allen, I don't live too far from you.

OK, I am 90% sure I'm going to Nola Halloweekend.  (found amazing package air and hotel deals) and....... drumroll please.....hoping to participate(complete) the half.  Have started the pre training stuff.  See local Breast surgeon next monday and I think I'll book after green light from her.  WHO ELSE Is IN?  I was thinking of scheduling an appt whilst there to address a dark  tip of spared nipple and mushy place on the previously radiated breast....not ready to act and I've been ok living w/ it... BUT, I'd like a plan w/ options and I'll already be there if I they can squeeze me in.

Nordy you're doing the half?  Trishia?  you are too?  remember it's walker friendly....  anybody else ?  I want support on the long run/walk days during training.......just thinking out loud......

More later.  Happy first day of summer !

ps....did some major closet purging...felt SOOooooo good!

cheers!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2010

How You Can Help: Charity Buzz Auction! larrykinglive.blogs.cnn.com

If you love NOLA please tune in to CNN right now. Fundraiser for the Gulf Coast~

They are periodically showing Dr John performing at the Carousel bar at the Hotel Monteleone!

FYI

Love y'all,Marcia

• Springtime
    edited June 2010

Thank you Minn!!! :)  

PJ - you are in too for the Halloween in NOLA?? I need to think hard about October!!! 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

Ladies, we are working on a fundraiser for Breastoration for when we are all in NOLA in October.  The Center has many commitments and really can't help with it, so we will need your help contacting other NOLA grads and maybe other aspects.  Stay tuned--probably for the evening of 10/27 or 10/28!! 

Best wishes for Thursday, Jinger! 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

Hi Sandy, I like your new picture!!

Thanks for posting the (possible) dates for the upcoming NOLA event. Unfortunately I am on a new project for the County of Orange and we role out a new training program for the whole county ...in Nov. so, no one is allowed any time off for the October and Nov. I was hoping to come for the weekend but it sounds like I would miss the main event  Frown

You guys will have to keep me posted as to what's going on and I'll live vicariously through that!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

Question for HIP GAP post stage 2 (with ab and thigh Lipo).....how long till you were able to get into a smaller size? I am still wearing the same size as before i went to NOLA;.(it's been 4 weeks since my stage 2 surgery)I have religiously worn the "sausage casing" as I lovingly call it 24/7, and I have been watching my diet. Because of my job I can't walk as much as if I were at home but I am so frustrated!

Jaime, Cindy.....anyone??????

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

Tammy - same here.  I will be 5 weeks out of Stage 2 on Friday... my middle section is bigger than before surgery... still very swollen, especially lower back and sore.  I guess I never asked the question... but I had no idea the swelling took this long to go down.... I'm ok with stuff as long as I know it's normal....can anyone else chime in on this... I know it takes a long time to see the final result but how long can we expect to be swollen from lipo?  I am in a compression garmet all day except I sleep without it.  FYI, I think I have a seroma now on my backside..... waiting for a call........

Yes, thank you Spring for starting this thread.. it has helped me a great deal....

Hope everyone is enjoying the official start of summer :)  Smile

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2014

Swelling from lipo can take from 6-12 months to finally resolve completely.  The majority seems to take about 3 months, but then gradual lesser improvement continues for a long time.  The plication helps if you have separation of the rectus muscles, which can be caused by multiple pregnancies or weight gain, but not everyone ends up with it.  Here's a link to an article that should be helpful.

Edited by Mods to remove link that was no longer available.

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2010

Hello fellow Divas!!!!   I have been reading but not posting but have news to share.....

Springtime, add me to the list!   I talked to Janine today!

Oct 28 - BreastCancerDiva - Even up "the girls" and nip tweak w/ Dr. D NOLA

Can't wait to see those of you who will be there!

• Trishia
    edited June 2010

Okay ladies, I am not sure I will make it.  I am going to work my behind off to do it.  I usually don't post whiny ass posts, but fwiw, hubby took a huge paycut last month.  We have also made the decision that I am going to go back to school this fall. We are also taking my son on a trip for his graduation present.  I'm trying to talk him into NOLA (how selfish of me...LOL), but it really is up to him.  Normally it wouldn't be an issue to do 2 trips in a year, but right now even one is. And I am supposed to have surgery soon. I am working on booking extra parties!!  I miss NOLA terribly and how awesome would it be to be with all of your women. I'll keep you posted.