Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KCmama
    KCmama Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010

SUNDRESSES - I saw a number of lightweight dresses at Target yesterday that had actual dress straps, not just spaghetti strap.  I know what you meant about the hunting, though.  I was looking for non-spaghettie straps about a month ago and was so frustrated.  I was surprised to hit a sale at one of the outlets....you never know where you'll find a little pocket of cute things.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2010

Swimsuit coverups also work great as little mini dresses.  They are long enough and usually don't have spaghetti straps!!!

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

Will I have to wear the black bra they gave me for Stage 1 surgery after the Stage 2 surgery, or just the black girdle?  I am sure you already answered this somewhere but I can't find the post. 

Springtime: Your post about forgetting to pull your undies down before going potty (I wear undies on top of my girdle, too) totally cracked me up because I forgot that once myself.  I was still in N.O. after Stage 1, in a hotel with my sister, and did that.  I shouted it from the bathroom "Ah dang it - I forgot to pull my undies down!" and we both laughed so hard it hurt!!  I haven't wet my pants since kindergarten!   I am SO glad to know I'm not the only one!!!  (Amy... beware!  ;-)) 

My Stage 2 is scheduled for Sept. 17th.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

Since alot of you shared your Peeing in the Undies with the Dom outfit on.

well because of that- I never did!  LOL

Everytime I peed I thought of all of you & remembered to pull down my undies.  And I wore Black ones usually that blended right in.  LOL

Mchas - sorry I cant answer the bra question...for some reason I had to wear a Dom Vest after stage 2...havent heard of anyone else getting that.

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2010

LOL!  I will watch out for that! 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2010

I am thinking that I will be able to wear shorts that are loose at the waist?  Am I being overly optimistic?  Perhaps I need to go shopping?  I leave for New Orleans on Sunday morning!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

I wore Yoga Type shorts over the Dom outfit & it worked out fine.  But it wasnt very hot then.  So it may not be very comfortible.

I wore loose sundresses in my Hotel room.  Yoga pants or shorts with a Loose Tshirt when I went out...Only because it wasnt hot enough for a sundress.

Comfortible - easy walking shoes are important too.  I usually wore flip flops.  Something that doesnt tie.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

I second the thought on shoes..it's really hard to bend down. It help to just slide your foot in. I have Keda with the open back. Also, I wore the black vest/bra and the dom outfit after my stage 2. The easist and coolest was to wear the sundress/patio dress.. I say that because the cover ups are a version of those things and work quite well too. Trust me, you will NOT feel like doing any primping, or even CARE what someone else thinks!

I even have the bathing suit cover ups that zip up the front. I lived in those for the first month after stage 1, it was so much easeir to potty and to accomodate the drains. Remember I had drains for 9 weeks, yikes!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

KEDS, lol!

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2010

I have an idea "the story of the traveling black compression garment"-with all the embarrassing stories that go along with it!  I even hate to admit how stupid I am sometimes! I have to blame it on the Arimidex or being half Polish, which ever works.  Ok, so I went for my follow up for stage 2a month ago, have not wanted to tell anyone this- (let me start this my saying I get very nervous going to drs, esp when I'm naked! and I guess I should be used to it by now) anyway, the girl brought me to the exam room and  told me I did not have to get all the way undressed, waist up and unzip the  girdle so dr can check my abd incision-and she left. Now, I stress out at moments like this, don't know if anyone else can relate, but I so afraid I am going to forget something, did she say bottoms off, top on? no, where do I hang my clothes? do I leave my shoes on? do my feet smell?  did I put deodorant on?  Well I finally Dr S and 2 nurses come in. I open my robe...It did not even occur to me to leave my panties on! Now this was not a big deal until I turned around and the hole goes all the way up your behind!!!  I saw them all look at each other like "did someone not tell this woman to wear underwear with this garment!"  Now, I did not even realize my faux pas until I got home and I went "oh my  gosh" I hope they don't think I haven't been wearing any underwear this whole time".  I wanted to call Celeste and tell her I really do wear underwear, but then I thought she would really think I was crazy.  I guess they see all kinds of stuff, huh?

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2010

My stage II is coming up within 20 days! I'm so disappointed no one will be there the same time as me. Meeting some women at stage I was really awesome for me and I was hoping I would be more up to seeing people this time!

I have a question- I know I've seen some women on here do stage 2 and then get tats by Donn that week. When I called I think it was Celeste told me that I would have to wait for that. But I cannot afford to go back, I am not doing nips at all, just want the fabulous nip tats he does. Any advice? they don't have to do much to my girls because they are AMAZING already lol.

My 3 year cancerversary since I was dx is on July 6th and then the week after is this surgery. i'm all emotional because I feel like this IS the end. It's been such a long process and I've been through so much I just can't believe it's over. 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2010
    Melissa--I consider myself warnedLaughing
  • Trishia
    edited June 2010

Well, I didnt' wear any panties with mine (dom outfit) ever!!!! 

Melinda, do they know you just want tattoos and not nips?  

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2010

I am not sue what stage you would call me but I am going for a nother round. will let you know when it si scheduled. Hugs to you all and the dance off sounds like a great idea!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2010

I never wore panties with the dom after Stage 2.  It just didn't seem necessary, honestly.  There were enough complications without adding that.

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2010

Minn, Laughlines and Dejaboo,

Thanks so much for the well wishes and good thoughts. Laughlines: When I had just finished StageOne, I realized I was using my right breast as a coaster. (Couldn't feel it).  Minn and I had a good laugh; and she can't even imagine having enough room for that.

2. My Stage 2 was Thursday.  It lasted 8 hours!  I'll be heding back to the hotel this afternoon.  They did plication, which hurts like a %^&*()*^$! Also lots of lipo spots.  I know it will be worth it in the end!

Oh, and I never wore panties even with the Stage 1 belt, and don't plan to with this dom either. Seems to make it easier to handle the drains?

Hope everyone is great. 

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2010

Jinger-glad all went well for you, 8 hours is a long time- hope your recovery is quick and easyI guess I am just wound too tight-deep breaths!!!

Good health to everyone.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2010

I wore workout capri's with the dom. Outfit and they felt fantastic almost PJ like. I still need to post picture of my nipples and get some opinions.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2010

Eve your last post about having very little energy really hit home. Then I have to realize that you and I had Stage 1 and then Stage 1 1/2. Because I too felt like all these women talking about exercising and running and I barely make it thru the 8 hours of work, and if I do a bunch of things I can certainly feel it in the incision area. I was planning on taking my son with my sister (from NC who also went to NOLA) to an amusement park in upstate but thought better of it with the bars on the rides and I have come to far to screw my insides up. So instead we are going to Niagara Falls, my son has been several times and loves it.

Hugs and Prayers to all. Have been so tired after work I have not read or posted and I miss it

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2010

For those of you that have had your tatooes done by Donn in NOLA.....did you give him an idea of what size/color you wanted, or just let him 'do his magic'? Also, about how long does the process take?? I have a 1:00 appt, and am thinking of taking a 7:25 pm flight home, rather than waiting until the next morning. Thanks in advance for any help!!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2010

Jinger - glad you're on the other side and doing OK.  Eight hours is a long time for Stage 2, you must have had the whole shebang done!

Sallym - I've been very tired, too, and have wondered what sequential surgeries do to us, as far as getting back on our feet.  Take good care of you, that's the best you can do.  Are you able to walk much?  I'm trying to be more regular with it, and if I can, I'll increase.  But tired is my middle name these days.  I had stage 2 when you were there for Stage 1.5, as I recall.  

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2010

LouAnn,

I took a photo of my originals, and the process took just under an hour, plus photos and changing back into clothes, etc. He drew on the outer border and then had me stand up and look in the mirror before proceeding.  I think you'll make that flight!

• Trishia
    edited June 2010

LouAnn~You will be fine.  We had a 5pm flight the day I did my nipples.

If you have a before picture of the originals, he will try to match that.  I had NO idea!  I brought my hubby for input.  He isn't too keen on big, bold nips, so I let him and Donn decide on size and color.  And I LOVE them!  They did a good job.  

It is really the icing ont he cake once you have them.  They turn into breasts right before your eyes.  

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

Silly question, probably, but does tatooing hurt?  I've threatened my teenagers that their old mom was going to get a tatoo on her ankle or something, but I don't think I ever will because I'm a chicken  about the pain.  (Who'd think, after going through this whole huge SGAP procedure that I'd now be afraid of the tatoo'ing part!?!)

• Trishia
    edited June 2010

I WANTED mine to hurt!!  But nope...nada, nothing, zilch. 

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Glad you're starting your recovery Jen! Hang in there. That's so funny about your coaster boob! So that's where we can keep our icees!

Okay - I know this topic has been covered, but what do you ladies recommend after graduating from the surgical bra? I'm going to look for the Kohl's bra that you all like, but can I also shop for fitted bras now or should I wait? I don't know how much my breasts are supposed to change after this point. I don't anticipate having any size adjustments done during Stage 2. My bra drawer is sitting completely empty and waiting . . .  ; ) 

Also - I got a PM a while back about donating my prostheses to a group that will pass them on to women in South America. Have any of you done this or do you recommend any other good legit routes for donating prostheses? 

And I'm scheduled for Stage 2 on August 26th - Maybe I'll catch you on the tail end of your Stage 1 Amy?

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited June 2010

I got the same e-mail Laughlines but chose to donate to my local ACS since they helped me so much.

I still can't believe 2 months out and my left nipple is not healed. It is flatter (much) than my left one. I have a deadline to meet before 10/1 so if it needs to be a redo I gotta get it done sooner rather than later.

I have been pushing my endurance working lately and I am thinking that it is time to start running again. I am getting to the point that I can photograph a wedding and still have some energy the next day. I just keep babying myself and I need to stop :(

Sorry for rambling.....

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2010

Laughlines, we will overlap a bit. I think my post op will be 8-26 and I'm going home on 8-27. Will you arrive on 8-25?

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2010

Laughlines- Definitely too soon to buy a real bra, you'll continue to get smaller for a while.  I didn't really feel supported enough in those cheapy bras shaped like the surgical bra, and I hate the uniboob look from sports bras, so I've been wearing a fairly cheap bra made by Bali. You can usually find it for $20-25 and it has stretch in the cups so it should fit you through a couple cup sizes. It's the Bali Double Support soft cup with jacquard cups. There's a cotton version too but it's not as easy to wear as the jacquard one. I'm waiting to buy a good bra until after Stage 2.  I wish I could justify buying one now, I got spoiled when I finally found the right bra for my old 36Gs.  But now I'm 36DD and may end up 36D, so I'm trying to hold out. At least in the future I won't have to spend $80 on a bra, even to get the good ones :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Melinda, call back! Tell them this is it, you want the 3D tats now, and you can't afford to fly back. Given you are having so little work done, I think it should be possible. Just call and keep asking about this. I bet they can do it for you...

Tammy, Can you post the URL to your scrap book again? I made some settings changes and wonder now if I can get there...

Laughlines and Mchas - I will add your stage 2's right now. MCHAS - I do not have any particulars for you like hospital, Dr etc, let me know if you want that added.