Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

It WAS a silly question re: the tat's, because - duh! - no sensation!!!  I guess I'm still not used to that part being permanent. 

I had the same question about bra's.  I've been wearing the same black bra they gave me (well, I have a few... I have washed them in-between, so haven't worn the exact same one - ha!), 24/7.  I am almost 5 weeks out, and wasn't sure when I could stop wearing it 24/7, so pulled out my post-op instructions and it says you only have to wear it for 2 weeks!  So, I went bra-less for the first time in bed last night.  It felt pretty good.  I still think my boobs are a bit swollen although they seem to be settling down a bit finally.  I am definitely bigger than before surgery so I don't think my pre-surgical bra's will fit anymore.  I was thinking about getting a couple of cheap bra's at Target.  

Springtime: I had my Stage 1 SGAP surgery on May 25th with Dr. D., and will have my Stage 2 surgery on Sept 17th, with Dr. D., as well.  Both at St. Charles.   Thanks!!

-Melissa

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited June 2010

Hi girls!  Gosh........I am getting all sentimental again....what a year it's been!  I see my local breast surgeon today.....last time I saw her was a week after stage 1 and I was absolutely euphoric as well as loaded on lortab.  I love this woman and am SO grateful she's been on this journey w/ me the entire time since august 2006 when ADH showed up on my first screening mammo at age 41 which was sort of motivated by one of 4 post meno sisters who'd completed lumpect and rads for DCIS.....anyhoo......sheesh such mixed emotions go w/ these appts......mostly I'm grateful, maybe a little bittersweet but also a bit scared........as probably many of you may be able to relate.......I was at the top of my game, doing everything right when this stuff first showed up.  Last year when I told her I was going to Nola she wasn't terribly thrilled initially but obviously that didn't matter to me!  I am thrilled almost every time I look in the mirror.

Trishia I feel ya on budgeting issues.  I'm doing some serious cutting back, but also looking forward and planning.......last year it was get thru the surgery and I did and now am very grateful and feel like I CAN look forward and plan ahead.  The expenses, travel to Nola, my choices for surgery, treament are the financial choices I am most at peace w/. 

And on the LE-Ugg, bummer!..... but you CAN keep it in check!  Glad you recognized it.  I'm feeling a little full on the L today -salt, diet, even a teeny weight gain or increasing weights w/ workouts can do it, not to mention the heat.  This time last year was when I was hit w/ it and cellulitis but I was mortified that I might have IBC but Thank you god it was JUST LE and cellulitis.......sorry to share my neurotic story again!

Everyone sounds prettygood, congrats laughlines and jen........and from someone 6 mos out........slow down and let your bodies heal.....It takes a LONG time.....6, 12 to 18 mos for your body to be completely healed.  I had such a hard time 6-8 weeks out accepting that....just know things are going on that you cannot see and 4 weeks is SUCH a fraction of time.  Plication...........I had it and I have never had a baby........I thought I wanted it but was very worried/didn't know if it wold benefit me.......When I went for pre-op he just started marking me and offered it said it would pull the bas in more so I said "yes please!".  I'm glad I did it and know in another 6 mos I'll be even moreso but getting back into workouts and abd workouts has been a process and compression w/ bikeshorts or spanx is my friend on long workdays on my feet EVEN 6 mos out!

Sorry if I'm sounding know it all! hugs and kisses!  Have a fabulous monday!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2010

I just found out there is no way I can go St Charles for my surgery in August, and from what I have heard so far this means I will have to go to Oschner Baptist. I have been in touch with TrainerTam and heard about her (bad, horrible) experience there and am looking for some more info. I can deal with the less comfy atmosphere but am pretty worried about the nursing care. 

Amy

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited June 2010

Yeah!  I just got scheduled for Stage 1 with Dr S on September 29th at St Charles for DIEP.  I am so excited -- which seems somewhat like a new experience since it has been so long since I have felt it.  I have been reading this thread for months and now I will get to experience first had the wonders of Dr S and the rest of the NOLA gang.  Thank you SPRING for starting this post.  It has been a blessing to so many including myself.  If you would post my surgery date then I will be official.  

Hey, on a side note.  I have sent a PM to TIMTAM for access to the photos but haven't heard back.  Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to hear back from her?   

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2010

Ugh Amy - I'm sorry to hear that you're headed to Oschner. Let's hope TrainerTam's nurse is no longer around.

Welcome Ann and congratulations on your upcoming date! It took TimTam a couple of days to get back to me.

For those who have been through Stage 2: Did anyone fly home the day after being released? Katie just told me they want people in town for 2-3 days after Stage 2, but I was planning on leaving sooner. I could swear I'd heard it was supposed to be a 5-day total trip.

Okay, I just picked up some cheap new bras at Target. I got the "wire-free Simply Perfect" Warner's bras. Size 34C at the moment, thought I'm sure I'll shrink a bit more still. And I couldn't resist trying on a bandeau-style bathing suit top inspired by Trishia. That is definitely the style to go with for us delayed-recon girls. As Minn would say, I think it looked "pretty damn good, if I do say so myself!"

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2010

Im sorry to hear this too Amy.  I wonder if you can find out if the Nurse from He!! is still there.

Laughlines I think it ends up being 5 nights/6 days.  I arrived on Tues, Pre op Wed,  Surgery Thursday, Checked out Fri.  Flew Home Sun.    if I could have arrived very early On Wed...I think That may have worked ok.  But flights from here are not many good choices...They always arrive around 5pm.

• plainjane64
    edited June 2010

Ok, so my 6 mos f/u appt w/ local BS went well.  She found a few areas of fat necrosis by palpation and wanted to sono them. I was totally rolling my eyes but of course agreed and was compliant. Back to that waiting area I know so well in that lovely cape. Except now my breasts do not need my arms crossed below them to hold them up above my waistline....OR sling them over my shoulders!(THANK You Dr D!). 3 little bitty actually now oil cysts(?) along the R vertical mastect incision....I guess now oil cysts because.... the fat is now liquid.  I didn't even feel these myself.  None of it is a big deal, nothing to do.  The radiologist did sono also my mushy place on the other breast that I was more concerned about.  More than likely it is scarred tissue and there are a couple fluid cavities somewhere below on that side...........here's the deal....fat sometimes has some pockets and yes they can fill w/ fluid....these were the same areas that were aspirated for LOTS like 30-60ccs  about a week or 2 post stage 1....that was probably self induced by me trying to redecorate my entire house on lortab during the month of Oct2009 (those of you new girls- do NOT do that!).  Again-nothing to do about any of this.  I am happy.....actually I am thrilled! but didn't need this appt to feel that way.  Everyone said my recon "looks great!". That sono was so strange.....all those docs know and remember me because I've had SOOOO many in the last 4 years!  It was almost bittersweet to have the radiologist say "Well, you probably won't see me anymore!  I'm glad you are happy and your recon looks great!"..........STRANGE ......and WONDERFUL!  For me now protocol is follow w/ med onc and breast surgeon 1 or the other alternating every 6 mos for about 3.5 more years unless there are issues.  I follow w/ GYN for 6 or 12 mos endometrial biopsies, ultrasound and pelvic since I'm on Tamox until......yikes....feb 2014?  And of course dexascan yearly-due in Nov.  Again, honestly....last year I simply could not think/plan beyond Sept 2009.....  I still think training and completeing the half in nola, hooking up w/ those of you there in Oct will be the best celebration and so good for me I know,hopefully for all going as well!  The friendships won't be over but I think the biggest part of all this is for me and I can honestly say I REALLY AM moving on in a GOOD way!.............  It just takes longer for some of us!  Ok, have avery LOVELY monday eve!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2010

hi girls...just popping in.  I had my last taxol treatment on friday, and now back to just herceptin every 3 weeks...yea!!  hope everyone is doing fine!! Think i will be losing the last scab soon.  Don't know how to put on a bra without some type of pad in it! And...the knot is almost gone on the back of my head....  lol, I am not really as big a mess as I sound....or maybe I am! lol  Anyway, you have all helped me thru it, so thanks!

• Dejaboo
    edited June 2010

Congrats Ginnie!

Wow- the Knot is almost gone...That lasted a long time!

Hope your scab is gone soon.

I lost my big one the day before my Vacation...it was not ready to come off.  But it did in the shower.  I told my dh I should just put the scab back on!  LOL

he looked at me like I was a bit crazy..But I now had a hole in my Boob & was going on vacation the next day!  It bled for about a day & then it healed way better then it was doing with the scab on!

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2010

Amy... ugh!!!  Sorry about that!

Laughlines: The Center scheduled my stage 2 procedure to be there for a total of 5 days: fly in on thursday (there's a 5:45am flight on United, through Denver, that gets you there at about 1:50pm), pre-op appt's thursday afternoon, surgery friday, dc'd from the hosp on sat., post-op appt on Monday (if you want), fly home later that day.  This is much better than Stage 1, that's for sure!  I'm wondering, though, that if the post-op appt is 'optional' why they want you to stay until Monday?  Probably to monitor you a bit before heading home.  It is a bit of a schlep to Seattle, that's for sure!!

Thanks for the tip about the Target bra's.  I'm going to go there tomorrow.  I can't believe you are only 2 weeks out and going shopping at Target!!!

• plainjane64
    edited June 2010

Ginnie.....This is GREAT, another thing behind you!  Keep on lady!  You are awesome!

• sunandsandgirl
    sunandsandgirl Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2010

Hi Ladies it has been awhile since I posted. I check in often. Glad to see all are healing well.  Ladies I am 18 months out now.  Try not to push yourselves too hard.  It just takes time.  I still see positive changes from my surgery as my body tries to resume the old shape.  

amym159-  Just to let you know...I had a positive experience at Oschner Baptist.  I am so thankful that I did not have trainertam's nurse.  Her experience was horrible to say the least, and I so regret that for her.  Hopefully, that nurse is no longer taking care of patients.  My insurance would only allow me to go to Oschner.  It was a very smooth and pleasant experience for me. I had excellent nursing care.    Hopefully it will be that for you as well.  I would not let that be a deal breaker for the surgery.  You will still have wonderful surgeons.  

Best wishes to all

sunandsandgirl 

• Better-Body-Babe
    Better-Body-Babe Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2010

AMY--- why can't you go where you originally planned?  Have you looked around in other areas? 

• amym159
    edited June 2010

Sunandsandgirl, that is reassuring to hear. Were you allowed to have someone with you in the ICU? Anyone else have a good experience there?

I will ask about Fairway.

Better body, the NOLA docs now have their own hospital just for breast reconstruction. This hospital is not in the BCBS network and BC will not apy a penny for me to go there. They go to other hospitals though which will work, but are not my first choice.

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited June 2010

Jennifer good post. I am curious did you have a mamo as well as the US? I think NOLA told me to have a baseline mamo and to alternate with MRI. I think that was because my Dx was picked up through calcifications seem on my mamo. OK ladies what is the standard follow up for flaps???

Gin fight on girl. One step at a time.

Amy I know that I and a few others have BCBS and I was covered at St Charles. Perhaps it is due to the different plans. Check with the insurance people at the center.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2010

I called and talked ot celeste again today about that tatts. SHe said to send in pictures and she would show Dr S and see if it was possible. She didn't think so because she said most of the time they do a lift and with the swelling and everything they want you to heal.

I'm so disappointed since there is noone really local to me that seems like a good option for nip tattoos. 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010

Melinda413: I had tats done the next day. I did NOT have niples created and Dr. D said i could do the tats the next day. I will say this: i was pretty out of it, I was SO tired from the anesthesia (from my 6 hour surgery the day before) I wish I had been more alert to tell Donn what I really wanted. But, I have my 'shells" and I'm fine with them, they are just a bit darker than i really wanted Embarassed

Question for post stage 2 folks.....my NON radiated breast is starting to hang lower than the left radiated one! Dr. D noticed this after sage 1 and did a lift at stage 2 on the non-rad breast, but  now it's very noticable again. It's been 5 weeks, do you think things will keep changing or is this reason to contact them? if I need a revision I need to get it this year while my out of pocket has been fulfilled.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

Hi!  Just checking in... there seems to be alot of Nola Newbies lately... welcome!!  It seems like only yesterday I was in here asking pre-stage 1 questions .. time goes fast!  I hope everyone gets their questions answered.... I can't keep track of everyone but anyone with SGAP questions, PM me... I will be happy to help if I can.....This thread is so so helpful!

Welp, I had a seroma confirmed by Jeanine on my butt so I went to my mastectomy surgeon here in Indiana to have him check it out.  He did an ultrasound and said that there is not a significant amount of fluid in there so he would not recommend draining it... he thinks it will not get any worse and my body will absorb the fluid over time... so we are just going to watch it....so yay, I escaped a needle today.  He also checked out all my incisions and gave me the thumbs up to swim.... I am going to Florida July 9th so yay on that too.

GIN, keep plowing along ...you'll get to the finish line :)

Looks like I will have one more surgery with Dr. D sometime in December for revisions... waiting on a date....

Have a great week everyone! Smile

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2010
    Cindy: What kind of revisions are you going to have, did you see my post above?
  • Better-Body-Babe
    Better-Body-Babe Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2010

Amy-- I sent you a private message...

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2010

Yes, Tammy, I just read it right after I posted mine.

Dr. D is going to try and help me with some concaved areas around my sternum.. to give me a more natural slope into the breasts (some fullness up there).  When I had my bilateral mastectomy, I was really thinned out around my sternum and my sternum protrudes naturally so that made it worse.  He did some fat injections in the area but they seem to have not taken too well... so I am hoping there is another fix.. and maybe a lift.  I also need tatts but depending on what he does in December, not sure if I can get them then.  Also trying to get this in before the end of 2010......

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Just4Ann! You are OFFICIAL!!! I put this above in the list.

• Sept 29 - Just4Ann - Stage 1 DEIP, Dr. S., NOLA (SCSH)

Amy - I would think at this point CRBS is fully AWARE of the horror at Oschner. Share your concern about the nursing care. I would have expected the Docs have read them the riot act. Perhaps they can reassure you. (Like hopefully Nurse frggin' Ratchet has been fired?? Wouldn't that be the bomb...)

YAY GINNIE!!! Done with TAXOL!!!

Pam, glad you are de-scabbed!!!

Melinda, KEEP ASKING!!!! Tell them you'll be nipp-less!!!

PJ, good to see you here!!!! :) 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2010

You all were so right about the folks at NOLA.  They are wonderful! Having surgery tomorrow morning (Wed 06/30 at 7am).  Still don't know if it will be double mastectomy with DIEP or DIEP & GAP.  Dr. D said he would make that call when he weighs my exisiting breasts.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when I wake up :) 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2010

You all were so right about the folks at NOLA.  They are wonderful! Having surgery tomorrow morning (Wed 06/30 at 7am).  Still don't know if it will be double mastectomy with DIEP or DIEP & GAP.  Dr. D said he would make that call when he weighs my exisiting breasts.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when I wake up :) 

• Dejaboo
    edited June 2010

Good Luck tomorrow Mauicarol!  I hope he can match your breast size with just the DIEP.

LouAnn- Hope your 'Tatting' went great today.  Cant wait to see!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2010

thanks ladies, I sent pics to Celeste (at her request) so she could show Dr S and see what he sayd. *crossing fingers* that its a YES> I want those tatts badly :)

• amym159
    edited June 2010

Janine just called me to say I would be able to go to Fairway instead of Oschner Baptist:) Yea.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2010
  • Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2010

Dear All,

Have been away for a few days (FORCE conference in Orlando) where I saw the amzing Dr.S. and the Centers patient educator the lovely Liz .. it will take a while to catch up,BUT..I want to wish Mauicarol a swift surgery with an easy recovery you are in the best of hands!!...GIN, WOOHOOO you go girl so glad to hear Taxol is DONE!

LouAnn hope all went well with the tats!

PJ good to see you...and to those fighting for insurance to cover NOLA a big thumbs up for persevering,they are SOOOO worth the battle.

Much love ,Marcia

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited June 2010

Go Mauicarol!!

Do tell LouAnn about the tats!!!