Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

so we got back to our hotel, but our room wasn't ready yet. so we sat in the courtyard and I fell asleep sitting up on a metal chair. Then we finally got to our room and I went into the bathroom, and guess what I did!!!! Geez! Do I never learn? I think I am going to convert to no underwear, like some of you wild girls. But then I got a good nap and thaT made a huge difference in how I feel. DH actually washed by dominatrix  which is good because I was so exhausted. That episode about sent me off the deep end! Sheridan Girl - I thought yu might be asleep when we were discharged so I didn't to say bye Do you have post-op tomorrow?

• rebetata
    rebetata Member Posts: 213
    edited August 2010

Lynn I am keeping up with you so happy you sound great. You deserve the best!

I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

Hugs and prayers,

Rebecca

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2010

Sandy - yes, tell Julie hello for me and that I love my new breasts. I hope things are working out for her.

Minn - hang in there! I'm so glad you have your hubby there looking after you or you'd probably be wandering down Bourbon street right now flashing for beads. And that's not until October, remember?

Sheridan - glad you're on the mend and you have nice warm breasts to enjoy heading into fall.

Nordy - way to go on those fast times girl! Uh, forget about the "older woman" part - what about the "two major surgeries in the last year" part?!?!?

Nordy - where are your dog ears? I don't notice them in your pics.

I started taking my daughter to swim lessons last week. It was wonderful slipping into my old (one-piece) swimsuit and feeling so normal in the pool. I was remembering swimming with her last summer with a bandanna over my bald head and a big T-shirt on over my flat chest. I like this summer better. ; ) And I have to share that my (two-year-old) daughter reported her first nighttime dream this week that she was able to tell us about: "I dreamed that my breasts came out Mama!" I read that playing with animals is what most toddlers dream about, but I guess not my girl!

• Joy232
    Joy232 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Hi there, can anyone here tell me the difference in a hip flap and Sgap.  I went for a conultation at NOLA and Dr. D recommended a stacked diep or if I want bilateral a hip flap.  Is the hip flap just a little higher than the Sgap and does it make a difference in the overall appearance after stage 2 and all is healed?

Another option for the bilateral is the stacked diep with an implant in the other side.  Hmm not too sure how  this would look next to the diep.  Has anyone had this done?

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2010

Laughlines, your message about your daughter and swim lessons and dreams really got me choked up for some reason. Breast cancer sucks for all of us, but seems like it would especially hard with really young children. I'm so glad you get to do swim lessons this summer with hair and boobs:)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2010

Hi Tweeti, you are correct and the hip flap is just a bit higher than the SGAP.  There are photos of both on Timtam's forum.  I'm sure that the NOLA docs would be able to make a flap and implant match up very well, but my concern would be weight gain or loss because the implant would always be the same size, but the flap breast would change with any substantial weight change.  That's just my opinion though--- I love my flap breasts, and would not have chosen implants for several reasons.

Laughlines, how wonderful that you are in the water again with a restored body!  Kids are so amazing and so intuitive.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2010

Okay, Laughlines... it is 3 major surgeries in the past year... LOL ... I had my hyst/bso in between stage 1 and 2... but who's counting??? LOL  Wink

And yes, Laughlines, it is really amazing what our kids begin to think is the norm. Mine have asked me when they will have to have their boobs cut off. I just look and them, smile and say, "Hopefully, never."

Okay, so the dog ears are at the end of one of my hip scars and the one of the ends of the abdominal (old c-section scar that he used to do the mini-tuck, but now it is longer). I don't even know if removing them would make a difference because it just looks like the two scars would rather meet and I don't want that w/the lymphedema... so I think I will live with it. 

Tweeti - the hip flap is a bit higher than the sgap - it is in the love handle area. If you have access to TimTam's site, my pictures are there as well as Jaimie's, Sue's and Laughlines'. I haven't updated mine recently so it might take some searching down a few pages to find them. Also, you can have Liz at the center send you pics of hip flaps. I am extremely happy with my hip flap results - love my new breasts!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2010

PS - Laughlines, isn't it so fabulous to feel "normal"??? Amazing.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2010

Yes! ; )

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2010

Good Luck today Ladybug.  Check in when you can

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010

Minn! I do it too! I never learn either! I am glad I'm not alone!! Every time I did it I would think, "how is it I keep doing this????" 

I had lunch with old friends. They can't believe how great I look. they said I was the "healthiest one" at the table. All the life changes make such a difference. Diet. Exercise. Serenity practices. Oh and all the fat moving and lipo suction, Did I mention that??? LOL. 

What Pam said! Thinking of you Ladybug!! 

Early August girls:

Aug 3 - Ladybug, Stage 1, Dr. D., NOLA

Aug 6 - camiam - Stage 2, @ Fairway. "It's going to be stage 2, but I'm also having a mini-flap taken from my abdomen to augment my left side so that it matches the beautiful new right-side reconstructed breast."

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

Can I ask about what to expect as far as sensation is concerned.  I recently had a biopsy and my boob was numb.  Is that what I can expect or better than that??

For those who had skin sparing one one side or both can you explain how your boobs feel??

Light sensation, none, numb or pretty much normal without the sexual feeling??

Thanks!! 

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

Ladybug, I hope your surgery went beautifully and you recover quickly!

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2010

Hi ladies- thanks to all who responded to my post: re dom outfit.  Fortunately I don't have to wear it this time around:) Dr D said when I come back for stage 2A I will get more lipo/contouring and have to wear it then.

I am in NOLA now - it was kind of a whirlwind but Jeanine called me on Thursday and asked if I could come down Sunday for preop Monday with Dr D and then stage 1.5 yesterday! He fixed my dog ears, did some light lipo (yay!) and also started to revise my huge breast scars.  I am super happy with my progress so far! What a big change from before.  I will probably post some pics on timtam's site when I get home (my before pics are pretty scary, what with a big area of black necrotic skin on my left breast and I was too embarrassed to post them without at least some improvement).

Ladybug, I hope everything went well for you yesterday as well.

Oddball-I can't speak for everyone but I have some sensation on the sides in between and on the very underside of my breasts post free TRAM flap done April 14th.  I was fully numb up to my collar bones, behind my upper arms, armpits, and also my shoulderblades initially.  Some of the chest, upper arm and armpit sensation has come back but otherwise I really just feel pressure.  It has not recovered as well on the right where my SNB was done.  In the areas where I have sensation there is not much sexual feeling anywhere except under the breasts almost right where the breast tissue emerges from the chest wall.

Initially post op back in April I felt like I had a "boob vest" pinned to my collarbones and that was very disconcerting but that has gone away now.  I can definitely feel jostling (like when we drive over a bump or something) but otherwise around my belly button and the majority of each breast I really don't feel much at all.  But again, I have heard it takes up to 2 years to get whatever feeling you will get back, back.  No one ever told me to expect the armpit/back of upper arm/belly button or shoulder blade numbness or even the high chest numbness so that was a surprise for me.  Perhaps this doesn't happen to everyone?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010

My sensation is still changing. I have some areas that are I can feel well - like on the outside "sides" but between the skin seems to go between trying to get sensation back and feeling sort of numb. Underneith on both sides is pretty numb. However, I had a breast reduction surgery 12 years prior to by BC recon, so I may be a different case. The more surgeries I have, (esp if they are big ones like phase 1) the less sensation I have. However, I still have some which is really more than I expected. 

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

Both my mastectomies were skin-sparing. Both of them were completely numb all over, including up to the collarbone, at first. During the first year that wore off (the one from this year, 4 months ago, is in the process of that...no longer numb up to the collarbone for example). It's replaced by some sensation, but is still mostly numb. My first mx was 8.5 yrs ago, and I'd say the permanent sensation set in within 4-5 yrs; it hasn't changed much since then. It's mostly numb, but with a slight sensation of touch in most areas. 

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

Camiam, congrats for sneaking in early and a successful surgery!

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2010

thanks!

Spring, although I know it is after the fact but can I be added to list for 8/3 stage 1.5 as well? 

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

Sue, I didn't sneak in early! I wish! :D I'm leaving tomorrow for NOLA- pre-op appt tomorrow at 1, surgery Friday at...7am, I think. It's early, whatever time it is! I'm very, very nervous!

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts yesterday. Everything is going well. Sore of course. Just glad to have it over with. Surgery was just under 5 hours I think. Not bad. Very hot here. Tried to walk around the night before surgery but the kids were not having fun. Their faces were beet red just from walking. Went back to hotel and let them swim.

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

Omigosh, Cam, I read CandD's post and thought it was yours with only the first letters the same. So much for thinking I was ready to try driving this afternoon! Embarassed

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

CandD'mom and Ladybug - Congrats for being on the other side! Sorry I missed you Ladybug - I did actually go up to a woman in the waiting area on Monday and asked her if she was Ladybug. Of course she looked at me like I was nuts...

Sue - I somehow missed your posting about getting together on Sunday. Crap! I ended up staying an extra day at the hopsital, tho, so we didn't get out of there on Sunday until mid-afternoon. And then you can see that the first thing I do upon getting back to the hotel room is wet on myself again! Geez! I'm trying to remember what we did that evening.... I think that Gary went out and explored while I slept some more. Then we did have dinner somewhere, but I honestly cannot remember where! I was really bummed with myself for not even getting myself out for our last nite in NOLA on Monday - I just laid on the bed, frustrated I couldn't make myself move. Really, the heat there now is definitely a limiting factor. It is another thing that drains your strength and tells your body to slow down. Apparently the time to do anything that take any energy at all, is pre-surgery. (Sue and Lynn - did you see the photo I posted on NOLA doc's?) Afterwards, your options will be limited. At least that's what happened with me.

Camiam - Good luck with your surgery on Friday!

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

Some one tell me how to post a photo in this little box.

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2010

Good Luck Amym159

I will be going down to The Center on Aug 28 for the DIEP. Will you still be there?

Are you staying at the Hope House or a otel? 

• mamaluch
    edited August 2010

Aug. 31- Stage 1 DIEP or stacked flap-Dr.D-NOLA

• mamaluch
    edited August 2010
    sheridangirl- I'm glad to hear your surgery went well.Smile I may be having that surgery or the DIEP flap the end of August. Any advice.? I've been so busy fighting with insurance company for coverage that I am only starting to think more heavily about the surgery.Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.
  • kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2010

Oddball - I had nipple sparing bmx.  I have no sensation for aout 1" all around  my nipples, and about that much on each side of the incisions.  For me, it's pretty much all or nothing, regarding sensation.  At first there was more gray area, but now it's more defined.  I added numb areas after Stage 2's lipo on my hips and waist.  That area is getting more sensitive, but initially was quite numb.  Sexual sensation in nipples is entirely gone, as well as general sensation.  Someone mentioned that they felt like they were wearing a vest.  For me, that vest would be pretty small, but it is lacking sensation as though there were a vest.  I'm 7 months out from Stage 1 and still am having to process this and adjust to it.  It's hard to resolve that I'll never have that back again.  In it's place, I have few regrets and more peace of mind.  But still.....

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

Hi All,

I am still at the Hope Lodge. The staff here is wonderful and it is a great place to just relax. My daughters are here with me so they have been keeping on top of the laundry and meals. The lodge even had a bingo night last night and I won a lighted makeup mirror!! Before we left St Charles on Monday, Some of the staff found out it was my daughters birthday and the brought in some cupcakes. That was so sweet....

My post op is sometime tomorrow. It was scheduled for 3:45. Then they called and said Dr is going to be in surgery in the afternoon and changed the time to 11:45. Then I just got a message saying Dr was going to be in surgery in the morning and could they schedule for 1:00 tomorrow????? Anyway, I guess I will see someone sometime tomorrow.

My scar goes all of the way from the back of one hip across the lower abdomen to the back of the other hip. It is healing beautifully. I have not been wearing the compression band because the nurse said not to because it could cause a problem with the scar line healing. So my abdomen is full of fluid and it feels like it will bust at any moment. No  sign of infection

My new breasts are also healing well. My left breast is much larger than the right but the Dr said he can fix it during stage 2. I still have blood draining into the left breast drain. About 30 cc every 6 to 9 hours. The Dr wasn't concerned about it when I left the hospital on Monday and said it will resolve itself. I was feeling good until today. Now I am nauseous and just really tired. I probably have been doing too much.

I really love my new breasts. They are so soft and warm and real......I was going to do stage 2 in mid Dec but I am going to try to move it up to mid Nov. so I can get this all behind me as soon as possible.

Take Care All,

Lynn

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

Good to hear all is going okay Lynn.....

All, how much time do folks usually have to wait between stage 1 and stage 2???  

What is or has been recommended to you for best results and healing factors?? 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2010

Holy Crap I am so far behind on this thread!! For those who recently had surgery - WOO-HOO!! You are on the other side - congrats!!! It just gets better and better!! For those of you 'on deck' - don't forget to breathe - you are in the best of hands!!

Oddball~ I had a stacked gap/diep in late Jan '10 - stage 2 April 23rd - tat's the end of June. Although I have no nipple sensation, I have sensation on the rest of my 'new girls'! A bit more sensation on the right side, as I do not have the 'football' shaped patch of skin on that side. When Donn did my tats I could definitely feel it on my right side - not as much on my left. I still have a bit of numbness in the backside area where my scar is - but I am getting more sensation as time goes by.

Ladies~ I have found the most amazing scar cream!!! I was given some samples 5 weeks ago, and used it twice daily....at two weeks the redness of my scars started to fade....every day I notice that my scars are a bit less noticeable.....Previously, I had tried Mederma (might as well flush my $ down the toilet!), ScarFade gel (did not notice any difference and boy is it gooey!), and Invicible Scars (used it for a short time and it was very cost prohibitive.) Anyway, the cream I ran across is called Tropol-Active-S, made by Dermetrx. The active ingredient in it is Elastatropin, a genetically engineered for of human tropoelastin, a precursor to human elastin and Hyaulronic Acid (HA).

Because this is the first cream that actually worked for me I wanted to learn more about it....and find out where to get it! Long story short - I found the website, and contacted the company - turns out is a local (Arizona) company, and the product is new to the market. I met with the owner (Joe Ducharme) to learn more about the product - and of course raved to him about the success I have had. He agreed to give any woman that has had the DIEP surgery a discount...so, If you go to the website, www.dermetrx.com - you can put CRBS in the promotion code and you will get a discount!

I met with Joe again today ~ After telling him it would be interesting to see the healing process if this product was the only thing used as soon as our incisions were healed - he said he would send the product for free to four women who were willing to try it for a minimum of 8 weeks! If you have recently had surgery, or are scheduled to have surgery soon - PM me!!!

xoxo

LouAnn