Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

Lynn! It was wonderful to meet you and your awesome daughters! So glad to hear you're doing so well. I've been having periods of nausea, too. But they prescribed this pill for me that I can put under my tongue when I feel this way, and it has helped a lot - ask about it tomorrow at your post-op - Ondansetron. That's great that you're loving your new breasts - and don't worry about size at all. There's a lot of swelling, and there still will be for months, yet.

Oddball - they tell you to allow at least 12 weeks between stages 1 and 2, so you have plenty of time to heal and for the swelling to go down. For my first recon in '06, that's the amount of time I waited. This time, I waited 4 months instead of 3, and am glad I did. My experience was that I was still pretty wiped out last time, even 3 months later, and then having the second surgery again before having any real breather between the two procedures - when I could feel half-way decent and back to my old self - was pretty grueling physically and emotionally. This time, I decided to give myself a break, and I was able to feel back to normal, enjoy the summer a  little bit, and even build up a little reserve before going back under the knife (of maybe it's a laser?) Also, I figured it out ahead of time that I could could give myself more time, yet still get everything done under the same deductible year. I know everyone's experience is different, and of course we want to get it all behind us as soon as we can, but doing it differently this time has made it more manageable for me. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2010

Hmmmm.... LouAnn - I tried to put the discount code in and it said it wasn't recognized. I want to try it. So maybe let Joe know it wasn't working? Thank you!

Minnesota. You seriously need to come to the dark side and go commando. LOL  You will have FREEDOM without the possibility of wetting your pants... well, unless you forget to pull your pants down altogether! 

Glad to hear all you ladies down there right now are doing well!

Mamaluch - Welcome! Yes, many of us have been down the "fighting with our insurance company" road! It is exhausting, but so worth it in the long run!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2010

Nordy -

I will call tomorrow and get the code straightened out!

xoxo

LouAnn

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2010

Nordy, you crack me up! Let's hear it for commando!!!!

LouAnn, thanks for the scar cream recommendation. I scraped up my knee climbing, and I'm getting the nastiest, reddest hypertrophic scar!! I need that stuff!

Anne

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

Only on this thread would someone understand my not having to blow dry my hair, but having to blow dry my nipples....

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010
    LOL!!  Okay.....sue....fill me in as one who is not there yet!!  Why are you blow drying your nipples???  LOL!!!Smile
  • swastew
    edited August 2010

OK - on the scar cream - if you want the discount - go to the Physician referal box - then 'look up' - add the state (LA), city (New Orleans), then the code will pop up, and then hit 'apply' - that is the difficult way to go about it, next week you will be able to type in CRBS (all caps) in the discount code section. Sorry or the confusion!

LouAnn

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

Lynn you sound like me. My left is bigger than right and it is still draining more than the other. I also do not have any kind of compression garment for my abdomen. I think I could walk better with one,but I figure the good doc knows what he is doing. I haven't had the guts yet to look at my abdomen incision so not sure what it looks like. Just got the dressing off today. Did they keep your dopplers in for stage 2? They said they would clip the wires but leave the dopplers under the skin. Had not seen that talked about here...

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

Does anyone from Texas know if you have to schedule stage 2 90 days out from Stage 1??

I heard this from another office, but no mention of it at NOLA.....thanks. I am hoping this is not the case.

• KristyAnn
    KristyAnn Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2010

Im from Texas and was told the 90 days was a global period that would apply to most insurances

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2010

I think even if you can do stage 2 within 90 days, docs prefer to wait out the global period. But they won't admit to that :)

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

Oddball, if you have nips reconstructed during Stage 2, they are covered with plastic covers like larger nipples, but without an end so they are open to the air. It is best not to fuss with taking them on and off for the first ten days, so they have to be dried after showering. Low or no heat from a blow dryer works best.

Day 6 and I managed a mile on the treadmill....divided over four periods and taking over a total of 25 minutes.  ;->  I am sooo grateful for an indoor treadmill and a/c. Tuesday night was a little scary when I stripped to paint everything with betadine. My stomach was starting to turn really purple with bruising and felt like it was bloated to the bursting point. I contacted Dr. T and emailed pics and he reassured me that it was normal for the bruising and swelling to start showing up at that point  and that it would start subsiding after 10 days. Thank goodness for the internet, email, and the digital age. 

I finallly found a way to run the drains so that they do not rub and pull. Celeste gave me permission to wear a light compression camisole and I wear it under the dom. I run the tubes up and over the top of the dom. I tried dropping them out the bottom, but the darn crotch would pull them every time I moved. Ouch! I may have been stuck with hip drains for 5 weeks, but they were no where near as bothersome as these two along my new bikini line. They are both turning straw colored and under 25 mls, I hope to lose them real soon.

Ladybug, my doppler wires were removed at my final post op apppointment. If you need encouragement after your first peek at your incision, be sure to check out Minn's photos on Timtam's website. You can't even see them!. Susan at the Hope Lodge showed me hers...same thing. 

Lynn and Eve, I miss you guys already!

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

Rashes...First changed my pain med now we are changing antibiotics. Other than that, things are going well. Should be released later today.

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2010

Glad to hear that things are going well for you Ladybug.  I feel pretty good myself - took a tour of the garden district today...and then a long nap :)

Also, I posted my pics on timtam.  I know everyone here knows that Dr D is a miracle worker but I am truly so thankful that he agreed to take me on.  I finally feel like a woman (not an alien!) again!!  thanks to you all for helping me to find him! 

• Joy232
    Joy232 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Hi I am curious for those of you that had both diep and gap or hip flaps.  Why did they do both?  Did they let you know ahead of time or was that a decision made in the OR?  Did you not have enough for a diep or gap alone?  The doc said I could have stacked diep or for bilateral hip flaps. 

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited August 2010

Hey guys, It was great to see Minn, Sue and Sherridagirl.  Surgery went well but was so out of it ended up staying an extra day.  Ended up with hysterecotmy, tummy tuck, lipo, nipples and revision on boobs.  Looks good from what I see.  Swelling isn't too bad!

Did real good till Thursday nite when I developed a fever.  They've changed my antiobotic and had some blood work done.  Hoping that takes care of the infection I've developed.  Feeling a little better this morning finally. 

Took the last drain out Friday, so that's gone.  Already hate the dom outfit and ready to get out of it but got a way to go yet. 

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

Tweeti, When you get to the pre op, the DR can look you over and will decide on the best plan. I was originally going to do hip flaps but Dr S decided on the modified Diep where he took the fat from my belly and continued around to the upper part of my hips. The scar is longer but the results are awesome. I really haven't had too much of an issue with the scar. I have had a lot of swelling in the abdomen but nothing that the pain pills don't control. It has only been a week and a half and my scar is already healing well and is getting less tight every day.  

Cat, It was so good to see you. I really hope that your infection gets undercontrol.

It was so good to see Sue and Eve. It really makes this whole process easier when I get to see the results that you all have.

Ladybug, They will remove the doppler wires at your post op and will remove any drains that are under 30cc in a 24 hour period. I didn't use the abdomenal band because Dr S didn't want anything to rub the abdomenal scar. I did swell up quite a bit but the fluid is resolving. Dr S also said I will have to use the band for a week after I remove my last abdomenal drain. I hope you are healing well. The staff will take good care of you.

I am a worrier and it is hard to trust that my end results will be good. I worry about the difference in size and how Dr. S is going to fix the smaller one with fat grafting, but I know I am in good hands and that it will be fixed and it will be okay. This is my 6th surgery since 10/09 and I was hoping that stage 2 would not be so in depth. But, It is what it is and I know that in the end all of this will be worth it.

I really love the warmth and natural feel of my boobs. I have no fat on my belly or my upper hips anymore. That is a real plus !!!

How many of you have had fat grafting and how well did it work?

Take Care All,

Lynn

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

Congrats on the drains, Cathy! I hope to get permission to pull mine on Monday.

Ladybug, I hope your rashes clear up quick and you are home safe. This heatwave is bad enough without adding that to it.

Lynn, so glad to hear you are happy with the results. I am hoping mine will look better after the swelling goes down. My middle looks like a barrel with both my back and belly swollen.

Question? Has anyone else experience a change in their vision after a surgery? Since returning home, my computer screen has been blurry as if I need much stronger reading glasses. It is a huge screen (just so I wouldn't need glasses to see it). My distance vision seems more fuzzy, too. Did your vision get better?

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

Stage 2 was yesterday, but it was really just another stage 1, since he took a small flap from my absomen and used it to augment my old, much smaller reconstructed breast, so that it matches the new, bigger one. Plus the mini-tummy tuck and my backside scar revision. It took 4 hours. I'm feeling okay, but well-drugged. 

Here's something odd: I don't have a dominatrix girdle! There is nothing at all on me except for the dressings on my belly & backside. Is this right? Everyone else with a tummy tuck gets a dom...I just keep thinking that maybe they forgot!  

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

(((Cam))), congrats on being done and being well-drugged.

I was put into the dom immediately after my Stage 2 with tummy tuck, but Lynn was not after her Stage 1 and having the DIEP.  I wasn't put into the dom after my Stage 1 HIP until I went to the Center to see about my excess bruising the day after my discharge from Fairway.

There doesn't seem to be a set procedure to this stuff anymore. It would be interesting to know their criteria.

• camiam
    edited August 2010

Right, Sue, I know- it seems they do totally different things for each person's situation. I trust their judgment, but it's a little unnerving to not have ANY type of compression on me after the flap/tummy tuck/lipo that came from my belly. I asked the nurses and they also say that some people just don't get a girdle or band, but that I should ask him in the morning when he comes itn to see em. 

Sue, too bad we crossed each other just days apart, again!

Sheridangirl- Dr S just did a fat graft on me...he called it a mini-flap, where he added it onto my older, much smaller recon. breast. I can't tell you how it works long term since I'm onluy 1 day out, but I can say that so far, it's worked and definitely did a good job augmenting my smaller breast to match the other one.

Excuse the typos, I'm hepped up on dememrol and cant type well, and my vision is double (maybe triple) when I try to look at the screen. :) Drugs are goooood. :) 

• swastew
    edited August 2010

suenfla - Vision......ugh!! I had 7 surgeries in 14 months and my vision got worse with each surgery - I need 'cheaters' to read my computer screen now - and my prescription reading glasses are on their last legs. I thought my vision would get better - so far no such luck - my last surgery was April 23rd!!

LouAnn

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

Ladies, 12 more days and I am truely starting to get nervous. I think because I am going to be alone through the surgery ( Dan is still working in England) and my cousin is not flying down until day after the surgery. Got a couple questions.. I am planning on having quit a bit of LIPO because god knows I have plenty to get rid of but is the healing more painful with the more Lipo done? And is the bruising bad. How long does it talk for the bruising to go away? Also once I get home will I be able to fit in my normal clothes? And how long before I will notice the Lipo. Can ya tell I am getting nervous ladies. All of this is going thru my mind at once. ANd anything I can do to assist with the healing process Thanks for your input Sally

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2010

I think the criteria for the dom is usually the lipo, although there must be something else at play.  Your body immediately fills the voids created by the lip with fluids, and that is what the dom is working to control--to keep swelling down and get the tissues to stick and heal together.   I never had any sort of compression after my stage I either.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2010

I think lipo is a weird thing. I am 10 weeks out of Stage 2 and I haven't noticed any effects of lipo anywhere... and my lower back/waist is still swollen and completely numb.  But... based on what I've read in here... not giving up.... patiently waiting.... and hoping I have a realitisc view of things by December 3rd for my Stage 2b.

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

Thanks, LouAnn. I was afraid of that. It's better in the morning, but by evening, things get fuzzier and fuzzier. Thanks again for finding the new scar product! I can hardly wait to try it.

Sally, my bruising started Day 4 and, at Day 9 it is getting to the lovely green/yellow stage. If my usual process holds, it should be gone by two weeks. The tenderness that accompanies the lovely color is the same. Yesterday, I was able to go all day without pain meds, but if I bump into something wrong, I go ouch like any major bruise. Ask for the Arnica at your post-op. I agree with Nordy; I think it makes a difference.

I was able to fit into my same clothes the day after surgery, but soft, stretchy stuff around your waist is more comfortable, even over the dom. If you are having nipples made, dark patterns hide the "bottle cap" protectors best.

I had skin and tissue removed (but not plication) done on my tummy, so I see quite of bit of difference there. Everywhere else Dr. S did lipo is still swollen. Everyone here says it can take up to 6 months to see the difference. I plan on continuing to follow my healthy eating, so am sure that will account for much more change. I am already down almost 10 lbs. since surgery. Twenty-five more to go! I am hoping the lipo mostly influences the shape of what is left. I have always had the hugest saddle-bags and hope they will be more in proportion.  

I will pm you my number, Sally. Please feel free to call whenever you need. For some reason, this was more nerve wracking for me, too.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Spring~ Can you add me for Sept. 15 with Dr. S for who know what......  How is that for a desciption....no I am having a revision but I could only hear every third word from Celeste because I was in a horrible cell phone coverage. 

So I have a date next month for a revision which I know will include a redo for my right nipple and fixing the flat spot on my left breast.  I will be in NOLA from Tues Sept 14 thru that Friday.  I am not happy about having to leave my kids but I really have no other option because I need to get these things fixed before my deductible starts over again :(.  I just hope it works and now I need to get child care and everything taken care of. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

Glad to hear everyone is doing well - Sue, Lynn, Camiam, Ladybug! Sorry about your fever, tho, Cat.

I'm also hoping to be able to pull the drain tomorrow! Yeah! I am one who woke up with the dominatrix - had lipo. You sound like me, Sue - boy the bruising looks really impressive! At this point it's most sore on my back - I think they stick that lipo thing back there and suck around on both sides. I'm still pretty swollen and can't fit into my regular pants - doing loose-fitting ones, drawstring, or rubber band thru the button hole and looped around the button. I also tried without codeine but decided it's not worth it yet... I just feel too stiff and sore without it.

I've been having fun with the nipple guard thing. Dr. D did some work on both nipples, including building up the one from '06 so it will better match the profile of the spared nipple side on the most recent breast. He does it different from Dr. S in that I was to put in ointment for that first week, then discontinue it after that. I had not heard about the hair dryer however ;) So far, the nipple looks really good. And so do both the girls!

He said that all the fat he got out of me he put back in, so that included fullness he added to the upper part of my breasts. I didn't ask for this, but he suggested it at the pre-op. I have never had cleavage up this high before and without having to wear a push-up bra. It's nothing short of miraculous to me. I keep feeling up there and looking at it in the mirror and exclaiming what an amazing artist he is, in addition to just being a very, very kind man for giving me this, on top of everything else.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2010

Yes Sue, Arnica works great!!! I truly believe it helped so much with inflammation after stage 2!

Jaimie - If I lived closer I would just have you drop your kids at my house. The more the merrier! 

I am 4 months out from stage 2 and I think I am still seeing some changes from lipo... but then I didn't have very much of it done... BUT I did have the inside of my knees and it is definitely more defined... AND, yes, that lipo wand does cause some discomfort. When I woke from stage 2, I knew every single spot that wand had touched... that is until lovely Deidre walked over and pushed some pain meds through my IV! LOVE her!!! 

• camiam
    edited August 2010

I asked dr s yesterday why I didn't have a girdle or binder, and he said becaues I didn't have any work done on my butt. He gave gernerous lipo on my entire abdomen, as well as took out a flap to augmetn my left breast. He said compression garment would just irritate the drains right now (I have 2 abdomianl drains), but that when he pulls the drains, he wants me in a girdle or binder for 1 week after. It worries me b/c my entire abdomen is reeeeeally swelling. I'm going to make him look ant it and check ont it today when he comes in. Still in hosptial and well-drigged. I am in sooo much pain, so stiff.