Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

Tedw, I am so sorry for your problems with your surgery. I wish you a quick recovery. Don't give up hope about another surgery. I have seen the tiniest hips (Laughlines!) produce amazing foobs. I highly recommend you check into the Center at NOLA for consultation when you feel ready. Dr. Sullivan is a wizard at the HIP procedure.

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

TW, I am so sorry. That is so disappointing. Do you know if DIEP can be done again using another area to take the flap from?

Okay, I am getting a bit worried about the size difference in my boobs. The swelling is going down and it even now it appears that my right size is around a C cup and my left is a D, which is the size I want to end up with. Does anyone know if it can be fixed using just fat grafting?

I am afraid that my reconstruction will not be done this year as I hoped and that I will have to pay all of my insurance deductibles again next year along with more travel.

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2010

SOS to all NOLAphiles:  Suggestions for your favorite restaurants, both near the Center and in the French quarter? -any where you can hear some jazz/blues with dinner or a nearby bar that has good music? Also, I remember hearing on a thread about a place with a connection to a charity or something? Also I'm interested in a plantation tour and would love recs for a tour company...Can't believe my time is already here--I fly out Tuesday and since pre-op got moved to Tuesday afternoon, I have the whole day on Wed. before the big day on Thursday--send me bunches of prayers and good vibes--a year ago this week I had my flap failure and I sure would like this trip to wrap things up! Amy and Sally are also up this week and we are hoping to get together.

Sheridan--I also have a pretty big differential in my breasts (c and d).  I'd love to hear others weigh in on your question--I'll let you know what they do for me--I'd like to be bigger size too--but I would be happy if they can even meet somewhere in the middle size wise.

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2010

Good Luck to all! I am getting ready to go to NOLA for first time for Stage 1, starting to get a little nervous. I have been on these boards for last two days trying to gather up any last bits of advice.

Will anyone still be there when we arrive on Fri. Aug.27. I will be staying at Hope Lodge first part of trip then Homewood Suites after my post-op. appt. I am staying a few extra days.

Also, my profession is teaching fitness classes and personal training. Any idea how quick I might get back to teaching cardio type classes. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for your generous sharing of info. 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2010

I am finishing up some last minute packing before heading out to the airport for NOLA.  So send all your calm, healing energy and prayers my way too. I stayed up way too late last night doing a million things, and one of the things I did was check out the picture site yet again to remind myself why I am doing this!

Mamaluch, I am leaving on the 26th, but I think Laughlines will still be there.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010

Here are the ladies coming up!!  Go Amy!!!

• Aug 18 - Amym159 - Stage 1, remove implants, bilateral DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA, Fairway hospital.
    • Aug 19 - Sarabhealed - Stage 2, Dr. S., St. Charles Hospital, NOLA.
    • Aug 20 - SallyM - Stage 2, Dr. D., St. Charles Surgical. NOLA.
    • Aug 26: Laughlines Stage 2 - Dr. S NOLA
    • Aug 31 - mamaluch - Stage 1 DIEP or stacked flap-Dr.D-NOLA
  • mamaluch
    edited August 2010

amym159 : sending prayers and hugs your way! :)

keep us updated, give me any last minute advise, I will  bring my laptop!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2010

mamaluch, I had SGAP, not DIEP, and it was about 7 weeks before I was able to start being active again. For me, that's rock climbing and Pilates and spinning/cycling and hiking. The recovery took a lot out of me and was slower than I expected. The first time I picked up light hand weights, I shook like a baby. I had a really good physical therapist, though, to help me get back into shape quickly, once I was ready. Don't push it or expect too much from yourself!

Anne

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

Now I am nervous not only for the surgery but the flight in to NOLA suppose to be rain with winds. How did the ladies feel 2 days after surgery? My cousin is flying in on Saturday to be my caregiver and I would like to show her a little bit of NOLA. ( She is BRCA positive)

Amy and Sara I will call you in the evening and hopefully we can meet somewhere for dinner or just to listen to some jazz.

Accepting all prayers and healing wishes Thanks.

Minnasota what is the dessert that NOLA is famous for and where did you go that you said they were fabulous. Doesnt have to be Minnesota to answer that but I just remember her raving about them.

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

Sallym, those horribly wonderful gems are beignets. With those as a beginning, it is no wonder NOLA is home of Krispy Kreme donuts, too! I wish you a safe and easy flight. Your energy level will probably depend on how much you have done. I ended up with a tummy tuck, and, although I could move around pretty easily, didn't have the stamina to tackle much in the heat and humidity.

((((((Sally, Amy, Sara, Laugh, Mama))))) I wish you safe, successful, beautiful, painfree surgeries!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Alright so everything is confirmed and I will be heading into NOLA in a month.

Sally- I wish that I was there with you, again :). If I had not had plication I would have been fine. The stomach work was where the majority of my pain was. You will fell bruised but I didn't think it was too, too bad.

I still have no idea beside nipple rebuild what is going to be going on.

So how bad is it that I am still trying to figure out what size I want my tatoos........

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Alright so everything is confirmed and I will be heading into NOLA in a month.

Sally- I wish that I was there with you, again :). If I had not had plication I would have been fine. The stomach work was where the majority of my pain was. You will fell bruised but I didn't think it was too, too bad.

I still have no idea beside nipple rebuild what is going to be going on.

So how bad is it that I am still trying to figure out what size I want my tatoos........

• sheridangirl
    edited August 2010

I got to pull my left breast drain and my right stomach drain today. I was scared to death but I followed the instructions that Stacy gave me and it worked!!! Yay for me. One more drain to go. Now if only I can get the nightime pain under control so I can start sleeping all night again. I am really getting exhausted

Sueinfl. Thanks for talking with me yesterday. It really helped to discuss some of the issues I had during my stay at NOLA. and I am thankful for your support.

To those of you who are in NOLA or are going soon, You are in my prayers. Enjoy the yummy fried donuts at Cafe' Dumond. I really love those things. Oh and for those of you who are looking for a good place to stay. I loved the Bienville House. The pool is awesome and the staff was very nice and it is close to Cafe' Dumond Tongue out 

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

Pulled my last drain today. Yippee!!

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010

Ah, the joys of pulling drains...what other group of ladies could possibly understand?

((((Lynn)))) anytime!

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

Yay for drain pulling is right! My husband pulled my last one yesterday, and I felt so free! 

Question re: the abdominal binder. So I have to wear it for a week. Do y'all just wear it straight over your skin/incision, or do you put something in between it and you? I've been doing the first, and it itches horribly, and just feels awful. Especially since I just got back in from a hot sweaty walk. Any tips on what you all do would be appreciated.  

• mamaluch
    edited August 2010

Happy to  hear those that recently finished surgeries are feeling good and getting to pull drains.

Do the drains make it awkward to sleep too or is it mostly post surgical pain?

Starting to get a little apprehensive, not sure if there are other questions I should be asking, esp. when i have my pre-op with drs. Thanks so much for sharing all your experiences! I would be lost without you all!! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

ARGHHHH! I just had that thing happen where I spent all sorts of time writing a big long thing and then deleted it! My favorite restaurants and music places and bars! With descriptions! AHHHHHH!!!!!!

Good luck to all of you coming up this week! I'll try this again tomorrow!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2010

Good luck Amy and Sara! You guys are going to do great. I am thinking good thoughts for you . . .

• Joy232
    Joy232 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Mamaluch - I am having stage 1 the day after you.  I know what you mean about nerves. I am beginning to make my list of what to bring.  I don't know where to begin. 

Amy & Sara - Best wishes for your upcoming surgeries.

• mamaluch
    edited August 2010

HI Tweeti, I'm so glad there will be someone in stage 1 like me. Where are you staying?

Sending hugs and prayers to Amy, Sara, Sally, and Laughlines.

So much to do before I leave, including getting my daughter off to college this weekend! 

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

Good luck to all. 

Amy: Talked to Barbara last night and she has me on speed dial - keep me posted!   Have fun with our NOLA sisters tonight.  B. said you might be changing hospitals partway through.  Does that mean you're going over to St. Charles?  That'd be awesome!

I loved pulling my drains and it was no big deal - in fact, I didn't feel it at all.  Since they were in for so long (8 weeks!) I had lots of questions about them, the most frequent one was who was going to pull them (since I live in Seattle and obviously wasn't going to go back to NOLA for that).  When I answered "me!", people were always so shocked.  Even my boss at work (a nurse) said that I should go in and have somebody else do it.  It was the biggest 'no brainer' in the world.  And, I have to say, it helped me recover emotionally as much as physically, to get those dang things out.  Yes, it was incredibly hard to sleep, cuz I couldn't sleep on my side (nor my stomach, of course) so it was a drag to have to sleep on my back for so long.  Now, at 11 weeks out, it seems like it went by in a blink - as others had coached me it would.  

Big hugs to all the surgery-go'ers this week and next!!!  As you know, you all are in great hands!

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

Oh, and one more thing:  I was kind of struggling along with getting my energy back, and my drains out, so I started having acupuncture and I tell you... it was a miracle!  My drains finally stopped putting out so much and my energy came back like crazy!  It might have been a complete coincidence (ie, I was going to stop draining as much and get my energy back anyway, because I was 8 weeks post-op) and/or it was a placebo effect, but who cares, right?  Two treatments in and I felt like a new person!  Just thought I'd pass on that little tidbit.

-Melissa

• sheridangirl
    edited August 2010

Cam, They sent me howe with the big binder with the curved back. I am short waisted and it just rode up on me. So yesterday, I cut off the top straps and now it works much better. I still had a binder that I was given after my implant reconstruction, so I use it to wrap the upper part of my abdomen. It is working well except, last night I drank a lot of water and ended up thowing up. I think I have the binder on to tight but if I don't have it tight, it won't stay in place. I still have the left abdomen drain so I think I will just use the binder sparingly until I take out the last drain.

Just an FYI for the CA girls, CA pharmacies require a specific type of prescription pad be used when you get an RX for controlled substances (percocet) and will not take the Rx from NOLA. So to any CA girls, make sure you get enough of the meds before you leave NOLA or be sure and check with your area DR to see if they will be willing to write the Rx if you end up needing it when you get home. I am pretty upset that I have had to suffer with uncontrolled pain this past week.  Thankfully it is getting better and will not last forever.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2010

Good advice, Lynn. CA requires a "triplicate" for Percocet, but I think Vicoden is okay on a regular script. (It's been a while since I prescribed in CA, so I may be wrong.)

Always good to have a "helper doctor" at the home base...

Anne

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

mchs..funny about the drains. I am a nurse and a nurse friend offerred to come pull the last drain for me. I'm like, "no way, it takes like 3 seconds." She said, "still who wants to pull their own drain"? I ultimately did it myself and it took about 3 seconds and was painless!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

Amy - Good luck tomorrow! You'll be in our prayers. And you'll wake up with beautiful new breasts that you will love! Feel the magic!

Sara and Sally - Wednesday and Thursday - Nipples! Lipo! Nice thin scars! Yeah! Good luck to you both! Be sure to enjoy icees while you're there! Both kinds! Say hi to Nicole if you have her for your nurse! And hi to Alice if she comes by, too - Thank her again for me for the chantilly cake she gave me! And Sally - GIve us a Dr. D shoe report! I totally forgot to check out his shoes last time! Sara - Check out Dr. S's and you guys decide whose are the best!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010

Wow!!! A lot of "drain pulling" going on! Yay!!!!!! Those are momentous milestones! 

Remember, no matter how slammed you feel, and you might, you won't always feel that way. You will eventually feel better again and get back to everything you do!

Dr. D shoe report badly needed! I agree Minn!

Good luck to Amy, Sara, and Sally!!! 

• sueinfl
    edited August 2010
    Bev, if no one has said it lately, thanks again so much for keeping up with this thread even though you are long past your surgery. Laughing
  • Joy232
    Joy232 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Sheridan - thanks for the advice.  I don't live in CA but I will be sure to get all my prescriptions filled before I leave.  I'm so sorry you had to endure that pain. 

How did all you get your "helper doctors" at home?  Was it another ps? 

Mamaluch  - we are staying at Clarion preop and Homewood after.  You must be really busy. 

Mchas - The accupunture sounds interesting.