Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Nordy~ Our Lovely Deidra :)  I actually woke up from surgery to her singing about my nipples and her taking a peak at them.....lol....Then me whining that I hurt.....and Deidra giving me something and knocking me back out. 

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

Cam, I promise the pain gets easier every day. I still have some ab swelling at day 10, but that too is getting better. I hope you start feeling better soon.

I didn't realize how lucky I was with my timing and chemo for the first surgery. I had no hair anywhere by the time for Stage 2 and none growing in for weeks afterward. I was shaved for this surgery and have discovered exactly how irritating the dom can be as it rubs against new growth. Ow! I can't shave it because the worse part is right along the incision line. Once I get this last drain out and stop needing to pad the incision line, panties are going under the dom. For anyone coming up, I highly recommend waxing the full monty.

I hope to get permission to pull the last drain today and get to change to the new nipple guards today. Yay for progress.

Eve, I hope you feel better soon. Can you pm me your phone number?

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

Sue, I too have blurry vision. I can read far away but everything is just blurry. I figure once I get off of the pain pills, my vision will get better. I will definately consider the waxing when stage 2 comes along.

Camiam. Maybe you had Stage 1.5. It sounds like he just fixed the breast with another flap. Fat grafting is when they lipo and add the fat to the breast area to increase the size. I actually hope Dr S adds a flap to my right side. That way I will know it will take and I won't have to hassle with the fat grafting not taking and then I will still have one boob that is smaller than the other. If Dr S did lipo on your hips, I think you would have to wear the girdle. Did he say you will need to come back. Did he add nipples or do plication?

• Joy232
    Joy232 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Can anyone tell me more about lipo.  Does it work for sure and how long does it take to see the difference?  Thanks.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

Hi Tweeti!

Lipo does work for sure to take away fat. Fat grafting, which is injecting back in fat that has been concentrated by centrifuge, is variably successful. Smaller amounts of grafting "take" better than larger - where 50% can be reabsorbed. Seeing final results from any of this can take more than a year - what with the swelling, scarring, softening, gravity, settling, etc. I should add, tho, that you should see some results, at least, within months.

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

Lynn- you're right, it did end up being a stage 1.5. He took a small flap from my belly to augment my smaller side to match the new, bigger side. I'm very happy with it because I was worried about the fat grafting not taking. 

So has anyone ever had their abdomen swell quite a bit after flap removal and lipo? He lipo'd my entire front abdomen. I am so swollen it's uncomfortable. I'm almost 4 days out of surgery. 

Oh, re: vision. I've been seeing double ever since I got out of surgery. Reading was impossible, now it's just difficult. I know it's the drugs, so I'm not worried.  

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

Post op today. Good Doc was 90 minues behind schedule. GRRR...Anyhow, ended up with 3 drains removed. Unfortunately, the one that remains is the one that bothers me the most, figures... Home tomorrow and then hopefully rest.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010

Hi ladies, I have been away for several days, a Breast Cancer survivor Yoga retreat at the beach! It was heavenly.

CandDsMom and mamaluch, I will add your dates to the list. If I missed any other requests, just let me know. Tweeti, I added per your PM.

We have a break in our surgeries!! I wonder if the docs are going on summer vac?? Here are the next upcoming ladies! 

• Aug 18 - Amym159 - Stage 1, remove implants, bilateral DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA, Fairway hospital.
    • Aug 19 - Sarabhealed - Stage 2, Dr. S., St. Charles Hospital, NOLA
    • Aug 20 - SallyM - Stage 2, Dr. D., St. Charles Surgical. NOLA.
    • Aug 26: Laughlines Stage 2 - Dr. S NOLA
    • Aug 31 - mamaluch - Stage 1 DIEP or stacked flap-Dr.D-NOLA
  • Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Spring~ ADD ME for Sept 15 for a revision and 1 nipple redo.  Please :)

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2010

Glad everyone is healing well!!  Good luck to those coming up!

I get to see Nordy tomorrow!!!  YAHOOO!  I also get to see another NOLA sister who lives in the Portland area!  SOOOO excited! 

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

Cami - Of course your abdomen is swollen! You're only 4 days out!

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

lol! You're right. So I'm still in the hospital. Yesterday I had a couple of breast incisions turn red-ish pink, and with the low-grade temp I'd been having, they called the Center and asked about it; the Center sent Dr T to come check me out at 6pm. The first thing he said is it doesn't look like an infection (whew!) but it looked like an allergic reaction to the glue. He pointed out that almost all my incisions are very red around them, even tiny ones where I had some fat injections. He ordered a round of IV steroids AND a round of Diflucan (in case the culprit was yeast). Two hours after the steroids, the red/pink started breaking up, and this morning it's still there but much, much lighter. And, the low-grade fever I've had since the night of surgery finally broke over the night! I think the steroids really calmed down some inflammation!

He also confirmed the big swelling as pretty normal. :) Eve :) 

Thanks for all the help, ladies.  

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2010

Im 3 pages behind...So I will miss alot as I catch up...Camian very glad your fever has broke & the incisions are all lookign a bit better today.

ladybug Hope your trip home goes well.

I think Arnica really helps too...Although I still had a ton of Painful bruising all the way to my Ankles & I only had leg lipo on my saddlebags. They still hurt 4 months out : (

But I did not hardly have any swelling.

Cant recall who mentioned eyes....But I cant see very good at all anymore...After 7 surgeries my Eyes are crap. : (  ..Ask Eve- LOL

Jamieh- Whats so wierd is I do not remember the recovery room at SCSC at all!  That bothers me...I remember the recovery room from all my other surgeries.  Huh

but Deidra is the best.

Good Luck to everyone after the 1 week break we seem to have.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2010

For those of you who had SGAP stage 2... did you need compression that went past your knees?  I only have garments that stop right above the knee.  I don't plan on having any lipo that low, probably just flanks, maybe upper thigh.  Should I exchange them for ones that go just below the knee?

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

Brenda, I had some lipo done on the inside of my knees and Celeste gave me a longer dom for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply any compression to that area in my case...too loose around the knees. I will just have to see what happens without compression. Fortunately, I still had the short ones from last time for the rest of me and it is too hot and humid for that much more material anyway. 

Don't worry about exchanging...I am sure Dr. Massey will give you new ones in any case. Best of luck!

Cam, glad the steroids are helping. Just don't start doing laps around the hospital!  ;->

• sheridangirl
    edited August 2010

Cam, Your abdomen will be swollen for a while. I am 1.5 weeks out and am still swollen. However it is going down slowly. At one point I felt like I would split open. Just drink lots of water. Collette told me today that the ab drains stay in for 3 weeks. I am glad I have them, it sure helps remove the fluid. I am glad your allergic reaction was taken care of.

Has anyone had lipo on their back? I figure if they need to do fat grafting to make my right boob larger, they should take the fat from my back area that sits by my bra.

I am sooooo tired. I felt so much energy after I got the new blood. Now I am back to normal and I am exhausted. Of course that is normal, I just wish I could do something besides sit on the couch and watch Fox news. I would like to go back to work and do work from home but I don't think I am quite ready for that. Maybe next week....

• sheridangirl
    edited August 2010

Spring-Add me for November 11 for Stage 2 Dr. S at St Charles.

• Springtime
    edited August 2010

Jaimie and Sheridangirl, I added your entries in the list above. 

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2010

Hi Ladies--long time no talk--I had a fabulous 2 year cancerversary trip to Germany, Switzerland and Austria. I timed it for July so I had max healing time after my March surgery and a little recoup time prior to my surgery NEXT WEEK!!!!  The trip was great--the plane ride home was long (9  hrs) and kinda uncomfortable--I didn't count on my lower scars swelling with cabin pressure changes, (do they take out nodes with the fat? Maybe they just get rearranged?)  Anyway, it's starting to sink in that I'm headed to NOLA next week...This time last year my flapped failed and I was their for 3 weeks--hoping it's  short and sweet this time!  Mostly I'm needing to get evened out as my right stacked DIEP is bigger than poor lefty which is hip, butt and tail fat. But you know, even now I look so much better I could live with it as is--My husband calls Dr. S "Michelangeo" and I'm excited to see him work his magic--I think it will be a small flap from my side fat...If so that breast will probably set the record for the most donor sites!

A word of encouragement to folks on lipo--after surgery I thought he did almost nothing to my ample saddlebags--now 5 months later they look fabulous...might have some inner thigh and knee lipo this time--we'll see what the famous blue pen does in pre-op...Take care to all. You are such an encouragement!

Sally--I'm happy to share my daughter (who is an amazing and funny young woman) with you...Is your pre-op on the 19th? Think about stopping by, hopefully I will be out of post-op and in a room when you come. Anyway, I'll definitely see you in the hospital after your surgery...where are you staying? (We're at the Avenue Plaza.)

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

Lynn,

Sorry you're feeling so exhausted, but that's absolutely normal. Your body has been thru so much and now all of its energy has to go to healing. So even when you feel you're just sitting doing nothing, your body is very, very busy.  I was totally where you are now (sans Fox news - switch to CNN - LOL!). I had all sorts of energy post transfusion, and then after I got home I had NO energy! I think it's some kind of New Orleans vampire blood, and once you are beyond a certain distance from New Orleans, it doesn't work anymore... When you go back to New Orleans, you will feel the fire stir within you again! Really, tho, stage 1 is a bear! It took me more than 3 months to feel back to myself - don't rush it. Whenever you try to rush it, you pay for it later... Re: lipo of the back - I just had some of that! I'm sore around my whole mid-section from lipo all around. So, yes! They can lipo back there!

Sara - What an amazing way to celebrate and such a great way to head into your next surgery! I am so jealous of your trip - but you soooooo deserve it! Continue some of that fun in New Orleans - as close to Europe in the U.S. as you can possibly get!

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

Got home yesterday. Feels great to be home and to have that surgery behind me! The swelling in my belly is resolving and I am walking around pretty good..just tire easily. Today has pretty much been a day of rest.

My question of the day is when does the swelling of the breasts start going down? He said they would be my same size but they are much bigger right now. I have a few shirts I can wear but would like to wear more. I know I am only 1 week out but just wondering...

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

Hi Ladybug! So glad to hear you're safely home and resting. You need to take many, many days of rest! In response to your question, your breasts will be swollen for a long time. My most recently reconstructed breast was waaaaay bigger than the other one. I wrote about the HUGE breast on this thread. But by the time of my stage 2 (4 months later), it was an incredibly close match to the original. I don't remember when, exactly, I noticed the swelling going down, because it was so gradual. All I know is that the HUGE breast ended up just right! Dr. D took nothing away from it at stage 2. So don't worry AT ALL now about how big they are. I have heard that there can still be some swelling even as much as a year out, but I'm sure it won't take that long for you to have considerable shrinkage! But I don't think I noticed much of the swelling going down for at least a month, 

• Springtime
    edited August 2010

2T, the nipples continue to get smaller. Don't worry! The docs seem to know exactly what to do, I was amazed. 

I am laughing at your opening your shirt and looking at your boobs several times a day! GOOD FOR YOU!! Merry Christmas!!!   LOL!!!!  A lovely gift you have given yourself. ENJOY!!

You are RESTORED!!! 

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

2T - LOL! I also laughed about you looking at your boobs. Sounds like me! And don't forget to keep looking at the lipoed parts, too. That should send you to the mirror several times a day! That is sooo great about your skinny jeans, too! Bravo!!!!!! And I think that's hilarious about your daughter! And Springtime's right. Don't worry about your nipples at all - they will go down! Too much maybe. It can be a problem, depending upon what you want. The way Dr. D explained it to my husband and I is that they are sitting on top of fat, with no real structure to hold them up from beneath. So, over time, they just kind of sink. I say, enjoy them while you have them! Them and your great boobs and skinny jeans!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2010

Belly Button - mine is shrinking and is so teeny at this point.  Stage 1 in Jan, Stage 2 in April. Anyone else, or just me?

• zandy
    zandy Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2010

hi everyone

i'm zandy from the YSC boards.  I've been on here a few times but can't remember if i've posted yet.

anyway, i'm in the info-gathering phase of my recon.  i'm overwhelmed at the number of posts per topic on this board! how does anyone read through them all?!?  i though i would just ask my question and see if anyone who's on this thread regularly could point me in the right direction.

i have an HMO for my insurance and would love to get tips from anyone who has been to NOLA and had their HMO pay for it.

Thanks in advance for your help! 

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2010

Hi kcshreve- I too have a teeny tiny stenotic little belly button (it is smaller than my 13 month olds!). To be fair, it wasn't Dr D's work to start with (just one more screw up from my first PS I guess) but Dr D did say he was going to fix it probably at my next revision.  When they first made it, it was too small from the beginning and has these weird ripples in it.  It also looks like a hole in the wall - I really dislike it!  And it is off center.  I am not really sure how that was accomplished but my "happy trail" now goes off to the side around it.  LOL.  oh well.

hi zandy- welcome.  I would think the best way of figuring out how to negotiate with your HMO is to probably fill out the info form online and send it into Liz and then talk to Vickie at the Center.  My insurance was a PPO and they didn't give me any trouble...  I have heard from other people that the Center is really very helpful in terms of  helping with this part of it.  Sorry I don't have more helpful info but I am sure someone here will have something for you!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

Hi Zandy and welcome. I too have an HMO and the way it was explained to me was that NOLA falls und TRP which is a three rivers physicians plan, meaning if no one does that surgery within ( I think) 40 miles I could go anywhere to have it done. And if you have to have a mastectomy it is federal law that they have to cover reconstruction. Is what I had to do was call my insurance and tell them what I wanted to do. And then NOLA took what ever money my insurance paid and called it even. You can IM me if you have other questions also call NOLA and ask to speak to someone in billing. Also Mercy Medical will pay for 1 flight a year for you and you can arrage that through Katie at NOLA. I will be in NOLA for stage 2 next week, I had issues after stage 1 and needed another surgery and NOLA paid for my and my aunts flight back to NOLA. You could not ask for more caring and compassionate people.  HOpe this helps Sally

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

Hi Zandy and welcome. I too have an HMO and the way it was explained to me was that NOLA falls und TRP which is a three rivers physicians plan, meaning if no one does that surgery within ( I think) 40 miles I could go anywhere to have it done. And if you have to have a mastectomy it is federal law that they have to cover reconstruction. Is what I had to do was call my insurance and tell them what I wanted to do. And then NOLA took what ever money my insurance paid and called it even. You can IM me if you have other questions also call NOLA and ask to speak to someone in billing. Also Mercy Medical will pay for 1 flight a year for you and you can arrage that through Katie at NOLA. I will be in NOLA for stage 2 next week, I had issues after stage 1 and needed another surgery and NOLA paid for my and my aunts flight back to NOLA. You could not ask for more caring and compassionate people.  HOpe this helps Sally

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2010

For those still trying to decide about DIEP or any other reconstruction, I can offer this.  I had a DIEP performed June 10, 2010.  There were complications....blood clots...second surgery.  Last week I developed a suture abscess on the tummy incision and then the incision under my breast began to open up.  Yesterday, I had surgery to explore and remove any dead tissue from the flap.  Dr. Khoobehi found lots of infection and removed the entire flap.  

I do not regret having the DIEP, it offered the best chance of "normal".  Right now it is a wait and heal then go to plan B.  All medical procedures contain some risks and in my case those played out.  But I am healthy and woke up on the right side of the grass this morning. And I got the lagniappe of a flat tummy.

Just need to find where to get a fake boob until plan B can be implemented.  Those coming in the next few weeks...it is hot and sweaty in this part of the world.  Stepping outside zapps your strength and fogs your glassesCool