Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2010

HOLY CRAP!!!! I have my stage 1 October 6th, and airline tickets are bought. I just got laid off today :( Unemployment will kick in, but max is 600 less than what I make, and Cobra is 444.00 a month :( Oh major panic has set in!!!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2010

Hi CandDsMom,

I've always had pre-op workups at home prior to surgeries, and pre-ops with Dr. D before surgery, mostly at the Center, but twice he has done the markings at the hospital the morning of surgery.  I had my nips re-done last year and wore the protectors for six full months in hopes of maximizing the result, but they are pretty small and soft now.  It depends on how thick your skin is and I'm guessing mine must be on the thin side.  I'd read a while back that having them done a second time usually results in a more lasting effect because scar tissue is utilized. I'm not sure if Dr. D has any further tricks up his sleeve in my case, so I'm thinking about asking him to use Radiesse in November, and to give me instructions so my sister (a nurse) can do the upkeep.  She does lips and such, and I'm guessing I'd be her only nip augmentation patient.  LOL

• SandyinSoCal
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly, I'm sure you are in panic mode!  That is just awful!  I think you have 30 days of coverage before you have to pay for COBRA, correct? 

I responded to CandDsMom before reading the posts that followed it, and wanted to add that your prayers and thoughts for Alaina would be much appreciated.  She had her last chemo today, then has a scan in 2 1/2 weeks to see how it has been working.  Waiting three weeks to find out if this third type of chemo is successful is going to be really difficult, and she could really use some good news this time around.  Please pray for her!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

I am in major panic mode. The insurance through work stops the 1st. I dont know how Cobra works but can I wait and pay for it in october and just pay for that 1 month? Or would I have to pay for 2 months then? :(

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

Well Imade it thru Havin trouble typing thru the Moraphine Haze. Not compaining.I am drinl.king ICEE as I type. Dr D even tried to fix my lower leg because I was ran over by a lawnmower when I was 9/ I havent seen the work done but I am sure it looks great/ Thanis for all the prayers and healing thoughts

• SandyinSoCal
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly, call your benefits office.  I think you need to avoid a lapse in coverage.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited August 2010

Sally, you're typing really well, considering.  Glad that you're on the other side, and how kind of Dr. D to work on your leg!

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly, I had my surgery 2 weeks ago and am doing it while under COBRA due to the death of my husband. He died June 23rd and I did not get the COBRA info until mid July. I think it said I had to pay by July 25th to be covered for July. I went ahead and paid for 2 months but did not have to. AND, my premiums are not due until the end of the month for which I am covered. Seems weird they would do it that way, but works for me. Each company may have its own way of doing things though.I am paying $900/month (me and kids) and will go onto my work insurance in jan. So, hopefully will have everything done by the end of the year as my insurance will only pay 10% for NOLA. Don't really want to continue paying $900/month for another year.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

Ladybug, so very sorry to hear about your husband :( I hope you're healing well and have a great support system! You had stage 1, DIEP? That's what I'm having but with Dr S!

so my insurance is good til september 1st. Then September and October I won't have it. With surgery October 6th, will I need to pay for 2 months of Cobra?

• ladybug50
    edited August 2010

Yes, I had a stage 1 DIEP with Dr D although I saw Dr S mostly while I was there (very impressed with his arm muscles). Anyway, yes, you will have to pay for Sept and Oct. Then what about Stage 2? Will you delay until you have other insurance? Technically your 3 month mark would be first part of Jan. I wonder if they can get you in at the end of Dec so you wouldn't have to pay Jan?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

Good idea about January for stage 2, that would be nice to get it all done and out of the way. I'll have to ask them about that too. That's pretty soon huh, 2 months? I may be SOL for stage 2 until I can find another job, cause no way can I swing cobra for 4 months or so. One will be a struggle, 2 I have no idea how but I'll have to figure it out.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

Good idea about January for stage 2, that would be nice to get it all done and out of the way. I'll have to ask them about that too. That's pretty soon huh, 2 months? I may be SOL for stage 2 until I can find another job, cause no way can I swing cobra for 4 months or so. One will be a struggle, 2 I have no idea how but I'll have to figure it out.

• ladybug50
    edited August 2010

It would end up being more than 2 months. If you did it the last week of Dec it would technically be 12 weeks :)

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited August 2010

Very Important:  voting started today on Timtam's site to move forward with the new one or stay with the old.  Please vote as they need at least 50 interested to proceed with the picture forum and the poll ends the 28th!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

Ladybug that's a great point. I'll have to see what the center can do for me. I'd like to know what's done at stage 2 and if it's something I need to do right away or if I can put it off or what not. I'd like to be done but with money being a big factor now I'm not sure :(

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2010

Hi

I'm 5 days post stage one today and am doing well except for one really irritating thing. My gums/tongue/ throat are red, sore a sort of swollen. It's really hard to eat. I put a call into the center and am waiting to hear back, but did anyone else experience this? The only med I'm taking now is lortab. (I stopped the keflex yesterday due to diarrhea-another issue entirely, and I know I should probably start it up again.)

Amy

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2010

I hope all the Surgery ladies from last week are doing good today!

Amy - it could be a thrush infection.  I have had Several & they are very painful. 

Keflex caused mine : )

Your tongue may show a white film on it.  it may look yellow or orange too. (You can google it to learn more)

The 1st time i had it I didnt knwo what it was...1.  You are not supposed to gargle with mouth wash...Something I did alot of thinking it would heal whatever was wrong.  2.  Also do not brush your tongue.

The Center can perscribe stuff for this...There is a rinse that Numbs your mouth...There is also Nystatin Rinse or pills.  There may be other things that will work too.

I also added in Acidophilus Pills.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2010

Pam, that's exactly what it is!  Never occured to me. Jeanine is calling something to the pharmacy right now. Thanks SOOO much, this is really uncomfortable!

• Dejaboo
    edited August 2010

Glad to help Amy.

I know it is very painful!

Whats funny Is I was eating alot of Cheese puffcorn after my Surgery...And Even in the morning my tongue was still orangy...I thought- Wow that cheese really sticks around.  LOL

• sallym
    edited August 2010

Ladies I am still at St Charles because I can't pee. They have had to straight cath me once and then put a reg cath in. They took that out this AM and I have yet to Pee. So pray for pee, please,I am the only patient here so I am getting lots of attention, but I would rather be at the Hope Lodge. Amy I too had the same problem and it does hurt Glad you are getting something to help

Sara thanks for the visit today and I appreciate your prayers

• sallym
    edited August 2010

Ladies I am still at St Charles because I can't pee. They have had to straight cath me once and then put a reg cath in. They took that out this AM and I have yet to Pee. So pray for pee, please,I am the only patient here so I am getting lots of attention, but I would rather be at the Hope Lodge. Amy I too had the same problem and it does hurt Glad you are getting something to help

Sara thanks for the visit today and I appreciate your prayers

• Dejaboo
    edited August 2010

I sent you a pm Sally

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

Sally, are you taking phenergan? Or any pain meds? Stop those and it will help immensely! I could not pee at all while on phenergan. And then last week when I was in the hospital for 4 days after my stage 1.5, I had major problems peeing due to the percocet. I was able to go, but it took IMMENSE concentration, and came very slowly and in broken up bursts (sorry if tmi). But I noticed when I'd wake up in the mornings, after 8 hrs with no narcotics, I was able to pee much more normally. So if you can stand it, drop your pain meds (and any phenergan at all) for a while and see if you're able to go. Good luck! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

Amy & Sally - So sorry to hear you guys are having these problems. You both sound very uncomfortable! Too bad you both aren't at the same hospital so you could at least have company in your joint misery. Let's hope that by tomorrow you are both doing waaaaaay better!

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2010

Hi Sally- for pee issues take a cup with some water or juice into the bathroom with you.  Blow bubbles through the straw into the full cup - this helps relax the pelvic floor muscles and was a lifesaver to me when I couldn't pee post my 14 hr stage 1.  I used it both times post c-section too.  Getting off the pain meds and anti-nausea meds (zofran is ok though) also helps (but obviously no one wants you to be in pain either!).  I know it sounds crazy but it really helped me! I hope it helps you!

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2010

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Amy and Sally.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010

Thrush and no peeing.... and Cobra!! Yikes, I hope this all works out! 

I am on vacation this week, so will check in when I can...  Today someone told me I had a lovely "figure". (I was in shorts and a compression top for riding bike). amazing what moving body parts around will do. Like fat from your belly and butt to you boobs!!! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly - unfortunately I have had to Cobra more than once. The big issue is NOT letting your insurance lapse. If you could swing both stage 1 and 2 within this calendar year, I think it would be beneficial. I don't know about the possibility of moving your stage 1 up so that you could for sure put stage 2 in before the end of the year??? Also, I know it is expensive to have to Cobra... but it is better than going without insurance... and not just for the reconstructive part of it. Are you covered under your spouse/S.O.'s insurance at all for other health related issues that might come up, including follow up oncology appts? If so and you are using Cobra mostly for the reconstructive end of things, then I understand and agree with letting it go as soon as you don't need it - however, if you are not covered under any other insurance, I would suggest keeping Cobra as long as necessary - until you find other coverage. I am sure this is not what you are wanting to hear... sorry!

Amy - swish and swallow... LOL - aren't those the directions for Nystatin??? I hope you are feeling better soon!

Sally - I wish I had a peeing remedy! Maybe take a magazine or the newspaper with you - read and relax??? Oh, wait, is that for peeing??? LOL Embarassed

Spring - Awesome!

• Joy232
    Joy232 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Sally & Amy - hope you are doing better today.  

Go Spring !  Have a great vacation.

• ladybug50
    edited August 2010

Ok, I have to say. I have not been thrilled with follow up care....Not a phone call the first week home. Finally called them about drain removal, drainage issues and to make sure they had my right number (my daughter thought they might have called her at some point). Pulled the drain, got instructions for the drainage and was told they would call me back at the end of the week (which would have been last week). Not heard a thing. Everything has pretty much resolved so no real need to call them, I just think their follow- up should be better.