Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

I PEED finally last night. So now I am going right from the Hospital to the airport. No Hope Lodge this trip. This AM I was feeling really sick to my stomach and after I finally peed I think I have a UTI. Only me. I am leaving 1 PM CST and Arrive home at 10:37 EST. So I have a long day ahead of me. Thanks for all your suggestions

Sara I hope you had a safe trip home. And Amy I am thinking of you. I had the same issue after stage1 and I went and got some OTC gargle and that helped alot.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2010

Nordy - I have no spouse thankfully, but that means no spouse insurance. On unemployment there is NO way I can keep up the Cobra. Unemployment alone is 600.00 less than what I was making. I'm looking for work but it's silly knowing I have this surgery coming up. I can do Cobra for a month or 2 tops but after that I'm SOL. Oregon health plan is not taking any more applications of course huh. I did talk to the center and she said mercy medical airlift is willing to work with them about maybe changing my flight so I can get stage 1 done in September. If I keep cobra up for the rest of the year that's a couple thousand dollars I don't have? My friend wanted to do a fundraiser so I may have to let her and see what comes of that.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2010

Sally, are you leaving today? They just called and switched my post op to today at 2 pm, and I was going to come visit you:) But it sounds like you may be gone by the time I get there. If so, hang in there today and rest well when you get home! It was great to meet you.

Sara, I was in the shower when you called.  So glad you are doing so great, and I'm so glad i met you as well.

My mouth feels much better today.

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

Ladybug, I am with you. I was told I would receive follow up phone calls one time per week. I got one call and since then, it is up to me....The follow up has been bad. Of course I have had the pain med issues that should have been addressed before I left. Unfortunately, I can only take pain meds that contain oxycodone and darvocet did not last long enough and I was concerned about the tylenol affecting my liver if I took too much. (already happened after the bimx). Then Friday, 2 weeks ago, I was told I would receive a  a new binder that has a straight back. I didn't get it and called again last Thursday, when I pulled the last drain, Nurse said she would check into it and see if it was sent.....Still NO Binder. So I am making due with what I have...I haven't slept all night for weeks because of pain and now the fluid issues.....This is crazy....I think NOLA is getting very busy and that their service at both the clinic and hospital are not what they were reported to be. I know that I am being negative. In spite of my complaints, I do really love my warm  and soft boobs and still am very thankful that my Dr is so talented.  I would still recommend DIEP and NOLA. I have done the TE's and Implants and this is sooooo much better...

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly-

I would really encourage you if at all possible to not let a lapse in coverage happen.  

This puts you at risk for "pre-existing" condition exclusions and means that you may not be able to seek covered treatment for breast cancer/reconstruction or any other medical condition (even something as minor as seasonal allergies) if you have a history of it previously. I am in the healthcare field and have seen this happen again and again to people and it is terrible - the insurance companies are heartless and will do anything to avoid paying when they think a pre-existing condition is present.  

Even if you get insurance again, such as through a job, these pre-existing clauses may apply for a period of 6-12 months meaning that no matter what happens they won't cover you for anything related to a pre-existing condition.  

I have experienced a small taste of this myself recently.  At my job we recently switched insurances from BCBS PPO to PHCS PPO.  Despite the fact that I had a primary insurance and a secondary insurance at the time of my diagnosis in March, and despite the fact that my HR person sent over the "certificate of creditable coverage" which my old insurance company supplied as a proof of this coverage and despite the fact that I had no lapse in coverage I am still being investigated for a pre-existing condition by the new company and they are pending/denying all my current claims.  I know I will be able to get this resolved but it is a reminder to me of how bad this can be.

If your friend can help you with a fundraiser to be able to keep paying for the COBRA it is going to be really really worth it.  I have just seen too many people get thrown under the bus so to speak when an insurance company senses a pre-existing condition.  I hope that the Center is able to get your Stage 1 moved up so that this isn't as much of an issue but either way I would really try to avoid a lapse in coverage.

Sheridangirl and Ladybug - I am sorry to hear of your experiences, and surprised.  I had a much less intense surgery than either of you (I had revisions done without it being a formal stage 2) and I received a phone call at 1 week and then emails from Jeanine...Maybe it might be a good idea to contact the Center and let them know that you are unhappy...if they know they can correct the problem so it doesn't happen again to you, or to anyone else...

Sara, Sally and Amy I hope you are all feeling better.  Good luck later this week Laughlines! 

• CandDsMom
    CandDsMom Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2010

Just to clarify the above, if you have no lapse in coverage your new insurance has to continue to treat all your medical conditions without delay/exclusion.  The insurance companies can only skate out of paying if there has been a gap in coverage - 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, it doesn't matter, from my understanding any gap in coverage triggers the pre-existing condition investigation/exclusion...

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

Dang... I'm going to have to pull a feww hundred/thousand out of my rear it sounds like :( I am trying for state jobs right now because their insurance starts coverage the day you're hired. My last job started insurance 6 months after hire date!! This is really my worst nightmare :(

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly - Let your friend do a fundraiser. It is extremely important that you do not have to go out and try to find private insurance in the interim. When I was pregnant with my first child, I tried to get private insurance so that I would not have to Cobra while waiting for my new insurance from a new job to kick in. They all denied me AND my husband saying we had a pre-existing condition (pregnancy). Never mind that it is impossible for my husband to be pregnant, but they considered him to have a pre-existing condition so that they would not have to cover the baby when it came. Candsmom is 100% right... they will try to get out of payment when they can.

Sheridan and Ladybug - I am sorry to hear about your lack of after care. I honestly don't remember how often I was called! But I don't remember it being an issue... however I did call them when necessary and someone always got right back to me. I would suggest (even though it may be a pain) that you continue to call them and let them know your concerns. It seems there are a couple of things changing since my stage 2.... Wonder what is/has happened? I tell you this much, I sure miss Lanita.  Frown

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

Hi Gals, Both ladybug and I had stage 1 within a few days of each other. Maybe we are having issues because it is summer (vacations...etc..)

Dragonfly, I concur with the other ladies. Please do everything you can so your insurance does not lapse. You may never be covered again unless you get a good state job. I worked for the state of OR and my insurance was good. I am so sorry you are facing this.

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

Lynn, I can't agree with you more. I've always had follow-up issues with the Center. I thought it was just me and I did something they didn't like. :-P But I do believe they are WAY too busy now for the kind of service they promise--remember, I was a patient of Dr S 9 years ago, so I know what it was like long before he got so busy. Of course, I can't complain at ALL about the quality of his work, but they really need to work on getting a lot more staff. 

I, also, am waiting on another binder to be sent. Maybe tomorrow! :) 

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2010

My other follow up issue was my post-op appointment. It was at 9:15. I was picked up a little before 9:00. got there and was told my appoinment had been changed to 10:00 and didn't anyone tell me? No, and not the driver either evidently. Then, while waiting they came and told me it was going to be at 11:00am. So, basically I was there waiting for 2 hours (and really, it was closer to 11:30). I know, things happen, but the no phone calls follow up doesn't help matters. Having said that, happy with the outcome. Not sure if my belly button looks like it should and part of one nipple is flat and scabbed over so don't know what the end result will be but time will tell..Only 3 weeks out

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2010

I flew home today...and I'm exhausted!  A very short layover in Chicago to get to St. Louis (I miss the non-stop service that doesn't exist to NOLA anymore).  Anyway, getting the wheel chair made a huge difference and my daughter was wonderful so I'm sure I'll be fine after a good night's sleep.

Sorry about the thrush Amy--hope the post-op went well--safe travels and be kind and gentle to yourself--your body needs time to recover...

Congrats Sally! I don't think I've ever prayed for someone to pee before, but I'm so glad you did and were able to make your plane!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

I really feel that they need more staff.....sigh....BUT I LOVE, LOVE LOVE my new breast and I think I was at the best place to get the best outcome. 

So I have 3 weeks from tomorrow until stage 2b.....I am not even close to ready to go under again....

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

I'm so sorry some of you have had such poor follow-up from the Center. I agree -  I think the staff needs to be increased. I think you gals who have had problems should get together and write a joint letter to the docs. I don't believe they would let this issue go unaddressed if they knew about it. They are putting everything into making sure the care at the Center is unparallelled. It's quite possible that complaints made to staff are not making it to their bosses...

Also (now I'm on my soap box), I don't think any citizen of this country should ever have to worry that if they lose their job, they will lose their health care. Or if they have a pre-existing condition, they won't be covered. We need health care reform. We should also remember that without the Women's Health Act, insurance companies would not be covering any of our reconstruction costs, whether we had insurance or not. There is a role for government in our health care.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly, I am so sorry about the insurance.  I went without insurance for 6 or 7 years.  It wasn't good.  I had one of my implants rupture and had to live with a sock in a bra until my dad took pity on me and put a new set of implants on a credit card.  There have to be some charitable organizations that will help you with the COBRA costs. 

As far as follow up.  Yes, please write a letter.  It is important that they know.  One thing that worked great for me was to email Dr. S's nurse when I needed something.  Time differences and phone tag sucks...but email is great because they can hop on anytime and then you have a written record.  

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

Finally home after 2 plane delays, I am very very swollen. My sister and her husband picked us up at the airport at midnight and I was walking in front of them talking and my brother in law pulled on my sisters purse to show her my skirt was down around the knees. I just kept on a walking. Eve, You and I are alike in more ways than one. LOL

I am so glad you made it home safely Sara and Amy I am sorry I missed you the second time. But I was ready to get out of St Charles. When the Chef comes to see how you are because you have ordered everything off the menu you could have, you know you have been at St CHarles too long. He came and asked how he did??

Hoping some of the swelling will go down today. After having my feet down for over 11 hours they were mighty swollen. Hope all is well

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

I have a couple of questions for friends that are thinking of going to NOLA after hearing about my experience but are in completely different boats than I was in, so I don't know the answer.  I told them I'd check with you:

1.  Did any of you have a mastectomy, then radiation, then recon with a flap?  One of my friends had a mastectomy and radiation 7 years ago, but is still wearing a prosthesis, because her doc's told her, since her skin was so tight, they couldn't do reconstruction.  I thought that could be done, but thought I'd ask you all.

2.  Another friend has been recently diagnosed.  She will possbily need chemo and radiation.  She's not sure yet.  She was told that she couldn't do a simultaneous mastectomy and reconstruction if there's a chance she'd need chemo and radiation.  She'd have to have the mastectomy, then radiation, then reconstruction later.   I asked Dr. D. awhile ago if it'd be possible to radiate a flap, and I thought he said yes.  Is that right?  Did any of you have that?

Thanks so much!!

Melissa

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2010

Mchas,

I had chemo, then mastectomy with immediate recon at the center - they put in implants as "placeholders" for my skin since I was going to need radiation. I then had rads. After 6 months I had the implants removed and did a phase 1 recon at the center. then phase 2.

the center can deal with radiation, past present or future. It is true rads and implants do not mix, and the skin is tight. Lots of women do delayed recon after mx and then skin from the site is added. no issues!

Ladybug and others. I have also heard lots of issues from others about follow up care. You are not alone, it is how it is there, and you are right, it should be fixed! I like the letter idea.  

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

Thanks, Spring!   I'll pass that info on to my friend. 

I talked to NOLA once per week for 8 straight weeks after my surgery, but it was definitely me who initiated the calls.  I also found that emailing Jeanine was the way to go, if I had very specific questions that I knew she'd have to ask Dr. D. about, before returning my call.  That worked well.  I had to initiate conversations but they were more than willing to take the time with me, once I was able to get them on the phone, which I really appreciated.   Sometimes, after I sent an email to Jeanine (Dr. D's medical assistant), I'd call the Center, just to be sure she was there that day, so I knew she'd receive my email.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

so the center is able to move my surgery date up to September 14th, and the hope lodge is available, just pending airline ticket exchange and we're all set! HUGE relief!!! Praying the airline tickets work out!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2010

Hi all!  I haven't been in here in a while but I have been reading along... I've been busy... but wanted to chime in and say hey....

Mchas.... I had a delayed bilateral SGAP after being previously radiated on one side... no problems (except I have a hard area on that side that may or may not resolve itself.. I don't really care)... but flaps after rads seem to be no problem...at least in NOLA.

Dragonfly - so sorry to hear about your situation... but hoping you can work it out and still get the surgery in 2010.... ugh... insurance.. the whole thing sucks.  I am still battling Anthem on all of this and my stage one was in January... now they are doing a full audit of our account because it's so screwed up.... even tho they agreed to consider St. Charles in network... of course they processed everything out of network and my deductibles and out of pocket are all screwed up so I continue to get bills... I hate it all.  I hate having something unpaid just hanging out there even if I don't owe it... my credit is perfect and I refuse to let any of this nonsense screw it up... or threaten to...

Sorry I cannot address everybody.. there are so many newbies and I just can't keep up ... but I hope everyone is doing well... I'm heading back down to NOLA Dec 3rd for revisions but I've been purposely trying not to think about it and purposely staying busy.... this thread is so active... if you don't keep up... you're totally lost.... that's me right now... but I hope everyone is doing well..Smile 

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

Insurance is a major PIA for sure. I'm so sorry you're battling with them :( Just what a person needs huh, when you should be concentrating on healing and living life!!!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly~ I am glad the center moved up your date.  I will come visit you on the 15th after surgery if you put your name on the door :).  I leave on the 17th but I will also be at hope Lodge.  Do you have someone coming with you ??

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

That sounds great, I look forward to it!! My Mom is coming with me :)

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2010

Laughlines-Good luck  to you! We will keep you in our prayers. 

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

My turn to chime in on insurance. I received a statement from Tricare that they would not cover any of my Stage II and that my responsibility was $28,800. After talking to Marcia and recovering from my shock, I called Tricare who said they needed documentation from the Center. I called the Center who said they were working on it for me. I couldn't help thinking, "What are they going to do? Reposess them?" Sheesh. I am betting on it gettng worked out.

Although I wasn't officially diagnosed until Sept., it was a year ago that I first found the lump and knew it was not good news. It's been a really strange journey. Thank goodness for all of you...

Laughlines, I cannot believe you are up for Stage II already! Best of luck!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2010

Laughlines good Luck tomorrow!

Sara- good to hear from you!

I too am having major insurance problems...only NOLA isnt trying to help me figure it out.  I was told last week to either pay my bill or get my Ins to pay or No surgery for me on Nov 1st.  Why Am I always being told this?  Dr M told me the same thing for my Stage 2.  in fact my Stage 2 was canceled by her because she hadnt been paid.

Anyway My Bill is still from last Nov.  Dr S was supposed to be in network along with Dr M.  But that was all messed up...We appealed it & Dr M was approved in network & paid...We assumed Dr S was already in network along with the Hospital...As they both were paid last Dec.  But apparantly Dr S  was not approved as in network...So I am being charged for my Out of Network Deductible.   On line it appears that the same thing is happening for Dr D for my Stage 2...As it shows that my Out of Network was touched.  I am afraid I will get another huge bill for stage 2...to add on to my stage 1 bill.

My Ins company is trying to look into it...The person who approved our appeal is no longer working there. (how convenient)  I cant sleep ...All I think about all day & night is this stupid bill (s) hanging over my head.

Also I have a Little bill from Stage 1 Pre op...With Dr M...Who was approved for in network...Ins. Paid about 50% of the Pre op Appt....I had Met my In network deductible & Out of Pocket Max already 3 months before my Stage 1 when I had my Hysterectomy .  So if I met my deductible & the Drs do not Balance bill ...but want me to pay this Pre op bill...isnt that Balance billing? ?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010
    Wow, I'm not getting a good feeling about this lately. A few members have said the service after surgery wasn't the best, and now this with your insurance Sue and Dejaboo Frown
  • sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly, I am sorry. I did not mean to add to your or anyone else's worries. I say, unequivically, that I would choose the Center all over again. I am really happy with the results, including Dr. Legarde's work. I know that the insurance issue will be taken care of and it is so minor compared with the care I received at Fairway, at the hand's of Celeste at the Center, and Dr. Sullivan's expertise.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited August 2010

Thanks Sue :) Did you have Dr S for your surgeries? That's who I was scheduled with, not sure if it will still be him now?