Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2010

Sueinfl, TriCare will come through. They just need different codes or documentation. Lately even my oncology lab's bills have bounced back due to "vague" coding. Do your EOB's actually say you owe the money? Usually they say you don't--the onus is on the provider to get it all straight.

Nonetheless, it's worrisome, as we do not like to feel responsible for such a large chunk of change!

Anne

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2010

Laughlines - Good luck tomorrow! You get nipples! I hope you have an easier time of it than last time - I know you will!

Sueinfla - Hard to believe a year has gone by, I bet. Congrats for making it thru so much and coming out still smiling and with great breasts, too!

Dejaboo - You should not lose sleep over these money issues. It will all work out. The important thing is that you are alive and well and loved by so many people and you have really sparkly toenails and a dog that eats whole loaves of bread and daughters that live so near and you look like the gal on "Weeds"!  

Sallymm - LOLOLOLOLLOL!!!!!!! Thanks for making me feel not alone! Pants on the ground. Skirt on the ground! Maybe we all should wear suspenders! So glad you made it home and your skirt didn't slide down until you were with family to tell you. What if it had happened at the airport with your connecting flight?! Your skirt probably would have gotten down around your ankles and you would have tripped, too!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2010

Follow-up - I had to initiate everything, but I did get responses to my initiation.  Sometimes ti took 2 attempts to get a response. Whether you write a group letter or an individual letter, DO write. They read all their responses.  If you are articulate and detailed, they will listen.  I had some comments regarding lymphedema care there which I was very specific about.  I got a phone call on that one.  They do care about being good, but I think it will take several voices to make a difference.  So DO write.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly~ I have had issues BUT I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, I LOVE my new twins.  I will come see you once I am ok from anesthesia. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2010

I so can 't wait to have boobs again, it doesn't seem real yet :) Can't wait to meet you!

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

I agree with insurance issues. CIGNA still has not paid my first PS for the failed implant placement.....

Before this surgery, I called both the hospital and center and was told that they will not go forward with surgery if they do not have the approval from my insurance company. They also told me that if the insurance causes any problems, their legal department will handle them... I hope this is true...

I know exactly what Dejaboo is talking about....I spent more sleepless nights crying over the h*ll my insurance company has put me through than the breast cancer....

Dragonfly, I would still use the center. The Dr's are very skilled at this procedure. I checked into other Dr's before I had my BIMX and could not find one that I trusted to do a good job. In spite of the fact that I have 2 different sized boobs right now, I would still do this again in a second. I  love my new, real, warm boobs.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2010

Dragonfly,

This organization provided me with FREE round-trip flights when I was going to MDAnderson for surgery ,staging and follow ups...they are incredibly warm and loving human beings who donate their aircraft and fuel for folks who need them!

http://www.angelflightwest.org/index.php?/how_it_works/

http://angelflight.org/

All you need is a Drs note saying you need their services.

Also please do not have second thoughts...its unwarranted...altho there are some things that aren't perfect I wouldnt hesistate to do it all again...in a heartbeat...Sometimes our expectations are not met to the "T" but the surgical and medical expertise at the Center is superior ...you can take that to the bank!

If you like to chat feel free to PM me and we can exchange telephone info!

Gentle understanding hugs,

Marcia

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010

I absolutely agree with everyone, don't let some of our follow-up issues give you second thoughts about the actual procedure. My experience with Dr S's skill at this procedure has been top-notch. They are the best of the best, and it shows in their work. The issues with the office staff and lack of follow-up (at times), are small in comparison to the extraordinary results the doctors are able to give. I would do every one of my surgeries all over again, and I'd never think of using anyone other than Dr S (or Dr D, if I couldn't have Dr S). They just need to get more office/nursing staff...I believe everyone on the support staff there is doing their best, but they are just so busy! But, don't let that stop you from using the best for your surgery. And, for what it's worth, calling or emailing them almost always gives quick answers/help; they just aren't initiating like they should be doing. 

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited August 2010

Thanks ladies... I think it's just nerves. Now that it's getting closer it's very surreal :) I got confirmation of my flight via mercy medical, 100% paid for round trip. My surgery is September 14th,  flight days are the 12th and the 21st!! Now I'm worried about getting the pre-tests done in time?

Can someone change my name on the schedule up above!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

I am staying at my mom and dad's for a few days before trying to tackle recouping with only my son to help. My legs are really really swollen, Especailly around the ankles. I weighed my self and it is 15-20 lbs more than when I left. Whats wrong with this picture??  I am hoping it is just the fluid. Any suggestions.

Follow up.. I did have some issues during stage 1 when Jeanine did not seem to get back to me when we were corresponding thru email. But if I called Katie she and explained she ensured that I either spoke to someone or someone did call me back

When I first started looking at the Center for this procedure didn't they have assigned people to assists patients with insurance issues.?? I think they did.

I am looking forward to NOLA in October, Was wondering where people are staying? I am traveling by myself and if there is anyone else that is that would want to share a room, I would be ok with that. ( I didnt realize how much more the rooms were in October than August until I had booked my flight)

AMY AND SARA I hope the recovery is going well. Sara, Alice at the center had some very kind words to say about you. and your calming affect and tone

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

Sally, Please call the center about your weight gain....That is a lot....

I called my PC Dr here today and she said she will have me do some blood work to see why I am so exhausted. This surgery has really kicked my rear. I am not sure if it is normal to be so tired you can hardly walk and I have no idea if getting 2 units of blood has anything to do with it or not. And I have to go back to work on Monday....Maybe I need iron.

• Oddball1
    Oddball1 Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

Please do give your feedback to the doctors about the issues at hand...I know you don't want to come across as the one to deliver the news, but it won't get better for us down the road if you don't. I would hate to think after surgery I would not get the absolute personal attention I deserve.  I am going on their reputation and advice from all of you, but would appreciate it if you who go ahead of me could give feedback for those who follow.  It is really important.  I chose not to go with another facility due to the nurses....not being caring.  Different story and docs entirely, but the doctors group I speak of were soo appreciative to my feedback.  And, later I learned they had taken action as well.  It does matter and they do want to know.  PLEASE give them this feedback...so us who follow you will see the improvements.  Suggest a survey to be given to their patients.  And, explain that you have some feedback and how could you give this confidentially. Just an idea....  

• Oddball1
    edited August 2010

Guess many of you may be curious....well...after having a biopsy that turned out to be okay...thank God.....  I am going on a short break and plan to go to the center in October.  So, it looks like all of you will be around in October??  That is kind of neat....I have folks to call if I need you....Smile

And, would love to meet some of you that will be there!!! 

When are you all going and for what exactly??  A reunion...breast cancer run???   

BRCA1+ 

• Oddball1
    edited August 2010

Oh, and I have to say that everyone I have met at the center has been extremely nice and I have seen only excellent results...more reasons that I am just staying on course...but I do want them to improve the calling back issues you have mentioned or to initiate checking on us....I don't have a back up PS here in my home town and this is why I get so concerned.

How did you guys go about this or should I just not worry about it??  I don't know that anyone will help me since I am not their patient.  It is a little strange going out of state without a home PS....how do you handle or better yet, how did  the center handle any complications that needed to be addressed if you DID NOT have a PS in your home town???

Thanks. 

• Oddball1
    edited August 2010

What is the weather going to be like in October in New Orleans???  Still hot or cooler??

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2010

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes. My stage 2 was yesterday and went fine. It was about three hours. I am majorly sore and haven't been able to keep anything down yet but I ordered pancakes for breakfast and am determined to eat them!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2010

Oddball, I too, was BRCA 2 positive and did not have a PS in my hometown that I went to . The Center for me has been wonderful and I have had a lot of issues. I will say sometimes that I needed to call several times to express my concern but if I had to call a second time, when Katie answered the phone I would tell her ie I have called Jeanine and not heard back but I am really concerned. And Katie always got me someone to talk too. I was BRAC2 positive and just had Stage 2 done a week ago. So I too did it proactivly. If you have any questions you can PM me and I will be in New Orleans in October.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited August 2010

Sally~ I also used the Katie route and someone gets back to me right away. 

Okay so my choice for my revision was the right one for me.  I found out yesterday that we will no longer have BCBS at the beginning of Oct :(.   We will now be with UHC and possible UHC's HMO so I am glad that I will be getting all revisions done before the new deductible year. 

I still have not had my blood work done :(  I don't wanna do it.....Can you hear my whining....

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

Hey Laughlines! So happy to see your smiling face this morning, even if just your photo! Sure hope you keep down those pancakes (maybe you should start with crackers or something...). There is something they can give you for nausea - it helped me. I'm a month out and still sore - but OMG! My thighs, my rear end - they now fit with my flat stomach! Yesterday I wore some of my low cut jeans and there was NO flab whatsoever - NO lovehandles or anything! I'd gained an extra 5 pounds for him to work with and it all went where it was supposed to go and he sucked away the rest! Amazing! Have you peeked at your nipples yet?!

Oddball - I'm so sorry you're having this extra anxiety about follow-up care. Really, not everyone has had problems. But I totally agree they need to add staff. This is only because they do such a tremendous job that they are busier than they've ever been. The word has finally gotten out, I think. And since everything else there is so top notch, it's especially unfortunate that there is this area of weakness sometimes. And that's why I add my voice to the chorus saying that the gals who have had these problems need to communicate this to the doctors. There are surveys sent out, but I'm thinking that the docs don't have time to read them themselves and rely on staff overview. I wish some of you would put your heads together in cyberspace and write your concerns and experiences and send it to the docs - if not for yourselves then, as Oddball has said, for those women who come after you. Oddball, there are many stories of truly incredible follow-up at the Center, including flying patients back to New Orleans if necessary. Please don't worry about this!

• Oddball1
    edited August 2010

Thanks SallyM and Minnesota...

Laughlines-Congratulations on being done with Stage 2.

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2010

I think help might be on the way on follow-up concerns as last week I met a new PA who just was hired and learning the ropes, and I saw some other new faces around as well. I agree with those who have found e-mail a good way to kick off the process and Katie a great advocate if there is no response.

Dragonfly, Deja and others with insurance issues--hang in there, I am so sorry for that aggravation. I'm with Nordy--I miss Lanita and can't help but think there is a story behind her departure??? There certainly is a more "collection agency shakedown" tone, but I was able to work things out. One thing I think helped was writing a great appeal letter and having letters from several local docs about the importance of microvascular surgery for me and it's unavailability locally--and countering wiht  something--(a fraction of what was asked for, but what was possible for me), to show good faith.

Similar to Sally's experience: Last August I ended up staying at NOLA for 3 weeks--most of the time in the hospital--frequently the only patient. It was Chef Scott's first day there and he checked on me everyday after that--wanting suggestions and input on what to call the meals etc. very cute. I was there on my birthday and my husband's birthday and he and other staff really went out of there way to make it special. They all go the extra mile.

Dr. S truly is an artist...I would have settled for far less. My breast which was mishapen has been transformed and I am now even on both sides. He also dealt with my necrotic patch and eliminated my "butt pucker." I didn't want him to touch my back side cause it took so long to heal last time, but he and my daughter are behind me with the blue pen both letting me know it looks like I have two butt cracks and he really can fix it...I've been so focused on my girls, who knew? So glad I let him have at it! Also, this go round I can tell the difference with the lipo immediately (took about 8 weeks last time) and my butt and thighs haven't looked this good since college. So count this woman who has had a flap failure, and an open wound for 6 months an extremely happy camper whose only regret was that I didn't start with Dr. S & D.   

Hope you are doing well Amy. Get yourself checked out Sally and pamper yourself. Laughlines--sorry to have missed you, recover well.

• MsSherryInFL
    MsSherryInFL Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2010

? for those who had lipo.  How long do the lipo'ed areas stay tender? I am 1 week post and they did flanks lower back lipo and the bruises are gone the areas are still very sensitive and tender.

• AnneW
    edited August 2010

Sherry, I can't remember exactly how long I was tender, but it was several weeks. And some spots stayed more sore than others. For some reason, I'm thinking it was a month before I was ready to go for a massage.

Anne

• MsSherryInFL
    MsSherryInFL Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2010

Thanks Anne.  I love the results but wow was not expecting the lipo to hurt more than donor site revisions.  I want more done next stage and at least I know what to expect.

• mchas
    mchas Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2010

I am getting ready to go back for Stage 2 in a month, and had the same question, re: post-op lipo pain.  I'm also wondering if it zaps your energy as much as Stage 1 did?  (I was a little impatient with being so lethargic, I must say!)  And, was the pain different after lipo?  Anything that you weren't anticipating that surprised you?  I am volunteering as a 'guest waitress' for an evening event at a non-profit here in Seattle a week after Stage 2 but I'm wondering now, if I'm being a little too overly ambitious/optimistic (ie, should I find a replacement?).  I signed up for this gig with a bunch of girlfriends over a year ago, so I really want to do it!

• Minnesota
    edited August 2010

Sara - Yeah! I'm with ya on the college-aged thighs! Amazing - so glad it's turned out so well for you!

Sherry & Muchas - I'm a month out from Stage 2 and lipo and still pretty sore. The bruises are long gone, but the discomfort continues. For me, it has transitioned into a bad sunburn feel - I think it's the nerves regenerating in the lipoed areas. But if I take aspirin or tylenol, that really helps. Also, I found that my fatigue feels less if I can keep the pain under control. The best was the codeine, of course. I think that waitressing only a week out might be really pushing it...

• AnneW
    edited August 2010

I wondering if the amount of fatigue isn't directly proportional to the length of time under anesthesia? I had far less fatigue with Stage 2 than I did with Stage 1 or my bilat mastectomies/implants. I also think some of my Stage 1 post-op tiredness was due to anemia, which I wasn't aware of till about a month into my recovery...

Anne

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
  • sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010

Anne, thanks for the insurance reassurance. ;-> I am betting on things being worked out. The people who do coding must need their own master's degrees.

I spent last week back in classes and would basically pop a pain pill by 7pm and fall into bed by 8 at three weeks out. Everything that was lipo'ed is still sore if I lean against it, but otherwise fine. My abdomen is tender and tightens up later in the day if I spend too much time sitting. The thing that surprises me is how sore the girls are. I didn't think pulling up the skin to make fipples would make the rest of them so tender. They are what ache the worse along with shoulder blade pain by nighttime. I am hoping getting back into a bra will help.

Strange question....has anyone else ended up with a belly button that is deeper than 1"? Janine had told me to start lightly scrubbing it to encourage the stitches and scabs to let go and when I went to soap it with my finger, I couldn't reach an end! It startled the heck out of me. I took a betadine swab to it to prevent introducing infection up in there and stopped after the swab went in over an inch deep. I am afraid to see how far back it actually goes. I have an appointment this week to see my local PS and will ask him to look into it. (okay, pun intended) I hate to think of something that deep harboring all manner of germs. Yuck.

Mama and Tweeti, I wish you painless beautiful surgeries this week!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2010

Rather long posting I did today on Facebook...in memory of Katrina,NOLA and innocense lost..

""Mixed emotions today 8/28/2010...August 28th 2005, one month after I buried my Mom due to BC , I had just finished one round of chemo and beginning what was to be 1 year on Herceptin. I lived on Ocean Springs,MS (nearby Biloxi and on the Gulf Coast) and as dawn was breaking we were packing up the remainder of our most valued possessions and evacuating to Tallahassee ,FL for what we hoped and thought would be a, "few days".( Should have been a 4 hour trip which took 8 1/2 due to the amount of people making a masss exodus to safety.)
    It was not to be. Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast that next day with a ferocity that was unimaginable.Helpless, we waited,watched TV and called our friends to make sure that they were all safe somewhere.
    The following day we woke at the crack of dawn to watch reports and were horrified at the medias description of what Biloxi and much of the Gulf Coast looked like. So we did what we needed to do,we left for a beach area that we loved and rented a house for a least the month to come.I was able to make contact with my Oncologist in Biloxi as ahe advised me to "stay away" as long as possible...there was no way to get my Herceptin (no mail,no UPS, nothing) and the bridge that connected my small burg to Biloxi was GONE!... I needed to get to an Oncologist who would take me on as a patient with no medical records and only my word and my port to attest to the fact I was a Cancer patient in need of help. I found one in Panama City,a Dr John Nanfro, who immediately agreed to continue my chemo for as long as we were in the area .I am forever grateful to him and his staff for their kindness and the citizens of the area for their support and love

My daughter and I volunteered with the Red Cross and FEMA helping with the multitiudes of evacuees who were in Mexico Beach FL with us. The breast cancer community that I had been affiliated with for 5 years at that point (http://www.facingourrisk.org/) FORCE, became my lifeline to love and support both physically,mentally and even financially with offers of lodging, jobs etc. To those who stood by me some whom have since lost their valiant battles with BC and some who are still fighting...I love you all for all your support during those dark days.

Our return home was a nightmare. I simply could not believe was I was seeing along the way and once in my own community the presence of the military,police,linesman for power companies across the U.S. was an unbelieveable sight...I was overwhelmed.

Fast forward to Aug. 28th 2007. The day I was restored by Dr Scott Sullivan at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans,LA. The same day the USA today ran an interview about the FORCE calendar where women such as myself posed in our various states
    of reconstruction (or as was in my case,no reconstruction). I was so ready to be "put back together" and my restoration was being made possible by Drs' and Nurses anesthesiologist who had just two years prior,in some cases,lost everything to Katrina. I felt and still believe we all have a special bond...the city of New Orleans had begun her restoration and now I had begun mine, with her help.

So many tears of gratitude,so many tears of sadness for what all was lost and can never be recovered...and still we move on..press forward...to make change and improve the world in whatever way with whatever means we have.

In memory of all those who perished at Katrinas hands and in honor of those who have suffered so much loss,

Marcia"

Soccermom
    extended_access